Another Day, Another WR Injury

In lieu of anything going on, the 49ers inked Brandon Carswell, he of his great fame at Milpitass HS, to a 2-year deal, and then moments later tore his ACL in a non-contact drill. This was a few days ago, but what the hell? Nothing is going on in football in general, or in Ninerland specifically. Vance McDonald, erstwhile 2nd round TE pick, supposedly had a great minicamp, and has been seen running impeccable seam routes. Huzzah. Let’s hope he doesn’t get hurt.

As it stands, only 36 days til the open of training camp, and it can’t come soon enough. On with the movie reviews . . .

About these ads

62 Responses to Another Day, Another WR Injury

Seth Rogen’s, This Is The End” is getting very favorable reviews. The trailers look hilarious, and if you enjoyed “Superbad” and “Pineapple Express,” this one they say is even funnier. A real laugh riot.

Maybe I’ll go see this flick in a couple of weeks when the calendar says I must turn another year older. I’ll have a few pops before, sneak in a bottle and spike my Slurpee. It could be slushie coming out the nose time with laughter. Just like home.

Looking forward to TC and pre-season. I think this is Franks last year and I am very interested to see Jewel Hampton play. Lattimore is a talented project but not every story has a happy ending so what happens if he doesn’t recover? From what I’ve read, Hampton is a between the tackles runner who runs downhill with power. Niners need a power back to go with the elusive guys.

Jewel Hampton? He’s coming off a couple of ACLs himself. Does he plays STs? I agree this is and should be Frank’s last year, but I don’t see Hampton making the 53-man roster.

And is first name is Jewel for Christ sakes. Does his husband play too?

In some football related news per SI, Justin Smith signed a 2 year extension with the 49ers. No word on the money, but it looks like he’s going to retire a 49er, barring a phenomenal rejuvenation.

The big question is, will we get the pro-bowl-since-he’s-been-a-Niner Justin Smith. or the less-effective-struggling-guy-after-he-got-hurt Justin Smith?

I’m sure he’ll be fine, but 33 is getting up there. He once again may key everything. They tried to get depth, but we’ll see how that works out. Beyond the cowboy, the rest of the defense looked gassed from the NE game.

James Gandolfini dies at age 51. He was great in Get Shorty, and a bunch of other supporting roles. Sopranos was killer . . . Rest in peace, amico . . .

When does Ray Lewis start his new gig over on ESPN? He’d make for terrific commentary on this developing Aaron Hernandez situation. Maybe Ray-Ray could even give Aaron tips on how to beat the murder rap.

The latest developments is that Hernandez smashed his phone and home surveillance system before the police arrived. Nah. That doesn’t look incriminating in the slightest.

Fucking mook.

9. rtfirefly2 says:

When you guys want to talk X’s and O’s, I’ll be back.
    I don’t give a flying freak about Aaron Hernandez.
    Jim Brown tried to throw his girlfriend off the balcony once.
    I’ve known plenty of guys (playing chess, one big mistake in my life) who have done far worse things.
    Back to my DVD of “Jason and the Argonauts”. I learned about Greek tragedies/adventures in JC.
    Got a “C” in that class, BTW, cuz I know Bullit will be popping in and he’ll be happy to read it.
    Great special effects for the time. I think my childhood best friend was one of the key men who helped finance the remastering of it.
    He got his Mass Communications degree from UCLA and had to spend a year working as an usher for little pay to meet the power brokers.
    Last I saw him was at my brother’s wedding. He was wearing a $2000 suit.
    His movies sucked, BTW. The UCLA remastered stuff, OTOH, is something out of this world.

• Winder says:

Lol. I wouldn’t mess with the girl Jim Brown couldn’t throw over a balcony. Anyway, I just watched the first three episodes of Twilight Zone, I know I have seen em all before but couldn’t remember any of it. Good stuff.

10. rtfirefly2 says:

Anyway, since the Harley rider who drove in next door, woke me up, and I can’t sleep, I have to plan something.
    I have a Passport. My LL and his family are from Costa Rica. His Mom still lives there.
    It’s the rainy season there and my back is out here but it might be a great place to croak.
    He says Costa Rica has McDonald’s and supermarkets because they are half American.
    I’ll think about it, but I think I have still have enough money to go. The problem is my SS payments, but we might be able to work that out. If not, well, then I work at a grocery, disabled and all. If I can, and that’s a BIG if.
    Still, sounds from him like a great place and I’d like to go before I croak. Might not ever follow the Niners again, though.

Went there for our 10th wedding anniversary. Drove all over the country in a little Rav 4. Really cool place. The rain forests are spectacular and the beaches are great. Puntarenas especially. Lots of ex-pat Americans there. Running from something, or running to something . . .

Too funny! But I think they extradite for murder . . .

So the question that I, and every FF player wants to know, who is going to be Brady’s #1 TE this year? With Gronk in the hospital and Hernandez likely in prison, the depth chart says the #3 guy is Michael Hoomanawanui?

Hoo?

Stranger things have happened . . .

It’s NE’s turn for some crappy publicity, they’ve had it too good for some time now. But, i think most any TE in that system would be pretty productive.

Winder, thanks! I managed to get a couple episodes to work on YouTube yesterday after you reminded me of the show.
    I forgot about Hulu! Now I’ll try it.

• Winder says:

RT I hope everything works out for you no matter where you end up.

• rtfirefly says:

Thank you, Winder. Very much. I’ve had cancer and a minor heart attack already. I can handle anything until I croak. Tonight, 30 years from now, I have no idea.
        It’s just so hot and humid where I moved to I can’t think straight right now. And I’m talking about moving to Costa Rica. LOL.
        When I was making a small fortune as a computer consultant in New Hampshire, it was WAY worse than this in this summer. Worse than Costa Rica, too, I’d bet.
        Whatever happens, and whenever it happens, I’ll croak with a smile on my face!

Besides which, I LOVE snowstorms. Never saw more than 1/4 inch fall in 1975 in San Jose. Out here we get REAL snowstorms. Huddle up in front of the fire and watch TV.
    I don’t think it snows very much in Costa Rica.
    I just hate shoveling the stuff, and I’m way too old for it. Heart attack city if you go too fast.

Sounds like you know yourself pretty well. As I myself am over 60 i know the days are numbered. I always hear people say they have no regrets, lol, that ain’t me, I got a boatload of em. But, I have learned to live with em and hopefully there will be peace at the end. The New Mexico mountains seem like a good place to be and since I’ve been on this rock out in the middle of nowhere for so long I am getting the fever to relocate myself.

I lived in Colo for 3 years, and didn’t see all that much snow, considering I lived at 8800 feet.

I dug the thunderstorms in the springtime though . . .

Like I said, RTF, if you go to CR, check out Puntarenas. . . . And Manuel Antonio beach. We stayed on the Pacific side for the most part.

Winder, this part of the country can get colder than sin in the winter. I have a whole closet of winter clothes. On bad days, I have to wear most of them at the same time.
    Funny, ain’t it. I’d like to see Hawaii and you have Island Fever and want to see the mountains.
    I think that’s the basic theme of The Twilight Zone, to be honest.
    Man’s restlessness.

• Winder says:

tru dat

• Winder says:

I can deal with the cold as long as I don’t have to be out in it too long. i lived in CT for awhile and the winters there can get a little hairy. U don’t want to see me if we’re driving on ice. I spent a couple of years in Reno too and the winters there are not so bad, but id does get cold.

• rtfirefly says:

I won’t even try to drive on ice in my old Mercedes. Snow tires would never fit on her and you need front wheel drive or 4-wheel drive to drive on the ice. My old Babe is rear wheel and trying to drive on the ice is like the time my friend tried to take me out skating.

Half the fun of living in Colo was watching the Texans who came up every winter. They’d drive around in their 40′ long Caddys and side through red lights all the time and cause tons of accidents.

Woof!

“Moby Dick” on now. Almost over, though.
    I just read the true memoirs that the movie was based upon last year.
    My friend’s daughter is manic depressive and I had to argue to get the book away.
    Read it once and threw it away.
    Really based upon a true story of an incompetent captain who refused to make ship repairs and yet they hunted whales in the Pacific.
    Still, a few survived out of the crew and made it home.
    The captain got two more chances, too. Got his boats sunk on those, too. Wound up a night watchman.
    I’m going back to rereading “American Creation” by Joseph J. Ellis. Much more fun and a happier ending.

• NoFear49er says:

Well, call me Ishmael.

• rtfirefly says:

“American Creation” is a truly fascinating book. It focuses mostly on the internal squabbles of the Founding Fathers and how the American Republic became a Republic and why and how and what. 1775-1803.
        Written in a non-academic narrative style. By a Pulitzer Prize winning author.

Try Less than Zero for some shits and giggles. Brett Easton Ellis. Speaking of Gregory Peck, I’ve never seen To kill a mockingbird. Just read it again as my son had to read it for HS English.

GREAT golf tourney going on on CBS, if anybody is interested.
    The old vet and the young buck duking it out on the 2nd playoff hole.
    Neither has ever won a PGA tourney.
    These guys are freakin’ great and they’ve never won!

Ken Duke is going to Augusta for the Master’s!! He’s 44 and never won a PGA tourney before!
    You should have seen the shots. I mean, these guys are really, really good.
    Tiger was in the tourney. They both beat him.

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I met Tiger at Augusta?

No? There’s a good reason behind that, it never happened. But if I did, I woulda told him to take his Green Jacket and shove it up his black ass. Did you hear the latest news? His current wife, Lindsey Vonn, believes Tiger is cheating on her with his ex-wife…

“Lindsey’s not happy at all. She feels betrayed and believes he is still in love with Elin,” an inside source reportedly revealed to The Enquirer. She’s well aware that Tiger and Elin were having sex while they were discussing the possibility of getting remarried, and in her heart she’s convinced that they’re still at it.”

And don’t give me shit about my source. “Inquiring minds want to know.” :)

RT, isn’t he the Joe Ellis of stolen valor fame? I think so. Hard to take his history books seriously when he’s making claims of parachuting into Vietnam with the 101st Airborne Division, among other phony tales.

New thread is up up and away