Speaking of News . . .

Uh, well, I got nothing. David (I miss by) Akers looks to be cut very soon to get the Niners under the salary cap. Think the Niners re-sign him once his price tag goes down? Dashon Goldson is still free to pursue his windmill of a long-term contract (in other words, no franchise tag for him).  Randy Moss is unofficially officially off the team. He’s saying he thinks he’s got a year left, just not in SF. Good luck Randy.

In other news, Cullen Jenkins, not part of the youth movement, is in the house for a look-see. At 32, he’s a little long in the tooth. But used as a rotating guy for both Old McDonald and Justin Smith, he’d definitely fill the bill. Short term anyway. He’s a popular guy and is making the rounds with the Giants and Seahawks next on the agenda. And, I’d be happier with Jenkins rather than a guy like Seymore Butts. The Darrelle Revis deal looks like a non-starter, thank God. Too much outlay for a possible one-year rental, and other than that?

Squadoosh.  Until the FA market hits, gonna be quiet.  There will be some more roster cuts as teams try to get under the cap. Hello Dallas.

About these ads

96 Responses to Speaking of News . . .

Being long in the tooth is definitely not a positive. Sniff…..life is cruel that way.

The good news for the 49ers is that the coaching staff can coach and develop talent with a quickness. Bruce Miller, Chris Culliver, Kendal Hunter, Aldon Smith, Kilgore and Colin Jones all were contributors in their rookie season. John Harbaugh gave props to his younger brother both before and after the Super Bowl saying, “Jim turned that team around quickly.” Jim did it by assessing the holes in the team and acquiring the talent immediately to fill those holes. Our secondary sucked, Harbaalke brought in Rogers, Whitner and drafted Culliver. We needed a pass rush and much to everyone’s surprise, Baalke went Aldon which turned out to be a god-send. Gore needed a compliment and so on. And those players DURING A STRIKE SHORTENED OFF SEASON were coached up post haste and played well for the Niners.

Harbaalke filled the holes so well in fact, and the coach staff got everyone on the same page so quickly that the new 2012 draft class didn’t hit the field hardly at all in 2012. Most fans have confused the red shirting of the 2012 draft class as a bad draft. But who thought Looney, Robinson and Fleming would see the field immediately in 2012? I didn’t. They were drafted to provide the team with depth and projects for the position coaches to work on and develop.

And honestly, I didn’t see much playing time for LaMicheal James either unless someone got hurt, which Hunter did and James played great. The only guy who’s a head scratcher is AJ Jenkins, who came in overweight and starry eyed. But that doesn’t mean the draft was a bad one, and it doesn’t mean those guys are busts. In my eyes it just means Harbaalke together with their coaching staff did a good job finding and quickly developing talent the year before.

Now enter the 2013 year. The new salary cap is oppressive – just the way the rich owners want it. Prices across the board are dropping and players are starting to get more and more reasonable with entire Dallas Cowboy team restructuring their contracts so the now penalized Jerry Jones can continue to pay the mortgage on the monstrosity of a stadium he built without and talent in his front office. WHOOPS! But I digress.

This year the SF 49ers will need to find bargains to compete and there’s no better bargain than drafting well and having the position coaches develop immediate starters. I have faith that guys like Looney or Kilgore can replace Goodwin. I have faith AJ Jenkins will step up. It’s an extreme “next man up,” mentality in 2013 for teams that want to compete.

Our O line is solid. Our qb has the makings of something special. Our linebacking corp is the best in the league. That’s a great start. It’s far better than any other team in the NFL. Now we just need to find secondary players, defensive linemen and a few skill position players on offense in the draft, coach ‘em all up, while biting the bullet and letting some of the older guys go.

Honestly, we’re in a great position to build for a new salary cap era. The only thing I’m afraid of Colin Kaepernick continuing to run. I hope in 2013 he becomes a pocket passer. If he does, we’ll win the Super Bowl – even starting several rookies. We have the coaching staff, and the front office.

Cliff’s notes?

Having the luxury of 3 Picks in the Top 2 Rds is ideal.
    One scenario that could easily play out is, getting DT Jesse Williams, DE Margus Hunt and a S, just by standing pat in those 3 Draft Slots.

The ammo is there to move up too.
    I have no concerns about how Baalke has positioned himself for this Draft.
    A rather brilliant job IMO.

Our Cap is under control, the age of the Roster will certainly get improved and, we’ll be introducing competition for depth at key positions.

I would venture to say, SPEED is going to be something Harbaugh and Roman will seek on the Offensive side of any selections they might think about making in April.

• Spitblood says:

I hope speed isn’t the issue. I’d rather have some guys who don’t get hurt.

I’m not a big Jesse Williams fan. That’s the guy from Australia, right? If it is, he’s okay but he’s not very muscular. He has a high motor and that’s always desirable, but he’s not a penetrator. I really liked Gerrel Worthy (sp) last year out of Michigan State because he’s a big body and he could get into the backfield. Packers picked him up. Jesse Williams also doesn’t look like he has a body where he could get bigger.

Yeh Spit, Jesse is the ‘Bama Dt from Down Under.
        He’s a little raw in terms of experience but extremely strong.
        More of NT for our 3-4.
        Nothing wrong with stout inside guy when it comes to the 3-4 IMO.

Typically the NT isn’t a penetrator, more of an immovable object, hold the point kinda guy.

I still wouldn’t mind having a guy like John Jenkins from UGA in there either.
        He’s a behemoth in the 350LB range.

They’re close in height however.
        Jenkins holds about a 20-30LB advantage is all.

The other ‘Plugger’ I’m curious about is Brandon Williams from MO So State.
        He is more active in terms of a penetrator.
        Not sure if he’d transition to a 3-4 NT though?

Speed would certainly be needed at the WR position Spit.
        Field stretcher especially.

There are more than a few capable options too.
        Both Tall and Slot-types.

Kaep opens the entire Field for us so, why not?

Any chance Jerruh has ideas about replacing Sensabaugh with Goldson?

JJ needs to clear more room if he wants to.

Just for fun…..
    Would there be any play for making a return deal with KC for the 1st overall Pick?

Perhaps to include Vernon in the discussion?
    Chew on it.

Might make some sense in terms of Alex and Vernon reunited in KC.
    We could then obtain a coveted piece in an area of need, NT or CB and, perhaps, replace Vernon with Ertz later?

Hey, it’s a slow night, I’m trying to generate some discussion.

Makes sense for KC but not so much for the Niners. I think this idea that the draft somehow provides instant, pro bowl quality, starting replacements is a heck of a stretch regardless of position. Lucky to get production from a rookie. Rarely do you get major production. The cap is affecting the cost of vet players, not the need for them.

WR Terrell Sinkfield from Northern Iowa ran a 4.19 at the MN Pro Day.
    Listed at 6’1″ 192

No major production numbers from his football endeavors, 43/499 is what I found.
    Dude blazed the 40 though.
    UDFA perhaps?

Damn, that’s fast. The problem with losing VD is that we are thin at pass catchers as it is. I’d hate to have a bunch of new guys going in to the season.

Chuck it’s just an attempt on my part to mix it up.
      KC is in the position to retool.
      We’re in a position to add key pieces.

Seeing the advantage of having Picks to deal and perhaps in this scenario, a key Player, we could possibly make a big move for the right piece.

As we benefited from moving Alex and his Contract, we might consider the same with Vernon or someone else on the Roster in exchange for younger more important Players for the future.

Something to kick around while we wait for the real deals to get done.
      I’m all for the 1 year Vet rental with a Rookie tagging along to learn the ropes too.
      Cullen, Seymour whoever, just back it up with a Draft Pick at the same position.
      I think that’s what occurred with Randy and Mario. Vet leadership for the younger guys.

Same could hold true for Revis.
      I just don’t see it happening until maybe next year.
      In a perfect world, the NYJ can’t deal him and, he hits the Market as a FA.
      By next year, you’ll know how his knee held up and, the Price Tags could be further diluted by Rookie impact.

We could still pull of Draft Weekend deals of our own of course.
      Dealing down or dealing up.

Baalke has put us in a great position to attack the Draft Class in our most needy areas.

I totally see our Secondary and D-Line getting a lot of attention.
      WR, TE, OLB and DE as well.

Goldson may garner some offers since Jairus Byrd got F-Tagged but William Moore from Atlanta is out there now too.
      See how it goes.
      I’m not too worried about our FA situation.
      We’re a contender now, FAs will seek deals with us too.

NYG TE Martellus Bennett might make some sense for us too Chuck?

10. Alleykat says:

Yeah NJ….I have been pushing John Jenkins Georgia for awhile now.Great size and quickness. He’s a disruptive force at the point of attack,great run stoppert that can take on and beat 2 lineman.
    With Soap and RJF possibly both gone that’s a huge hole IMO and I don’t believe Ian Williams can do the job.

He’s a load inside Alleykat.
      His Line Mate Kwame Geathers is on the Board this April too. 6’5″ 342
      Couple of large human beings there.

At the right slot, I’d prefer having a young NT in our scheme.
      Not every year you have 350 guys with some talent to take a shot at.
      With the Draft depth on D-Line and all the Picks we have, we could add some serious youth to this rotation of ours.
      See how Baalke attacks the Draft Board in April.

Looking forward to it.

Don’t draft anyone called Kwame, ever.

Scary thought 12th, LMAO..
        If we do, we’ll give him a nickname maybe?

There’s another space eater out there from the Combine, Montori Hughes.
        Small school guy, TN-Martin.
        Maybe he could be on the Baalke Radar?
        He weighs in at 6’4″ 329 himself.

There’s plenty of big boys in the Group.

Niners have a very athletic D line. A chunky space eater for early downs would be a good compliment.

My sentiments exactly 12th.
        Add a guy like Margus Hunt to compliment Aldon too while we’re at it.

DE/DT would be my top pick, then DB/NT then WR/TE if the board falls right. If not, go BPA from those positions. Then draft for depth an package for next year.
        Sounds easy lmao. Baalke will undoubtedly do something we haven’t figured on though and that’s why he is possibly the best GM in the NFL all things considered and the Alex Smith deal was stunning.

It’s a bit early to tell but 6 positions look to be up for grabs on the 45.

I hear ya 12th.
      I see the 31st Pick as the BPA option.

Wouldn’t surprise me to deal back if the right guy isn’t there either, since we only fall back to 34.

I’m on the fence for the strategy to expect from Baalke, since he jobbed us last year with AJ.
      A stretch there could be a versalie weapon like Tavon Austin maybe?
      I don’t see any WRs that high, Ertz or Efiert would be fine or, one of the highly rated Safeties.
      Ditto on the DL too. He’s likely to play the BPA on any of those positions.

I agree with your Best GM opinion.
      He’s played this Draft stuff like a game of Go Fish.
      Stacked our deck and has room to move for the right pieces.
      We already know he isn’t bashful about spending Picks to get his guys either.

I just see a different approach to the WR group coming due to Kaep.
        Geno Smith had both Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey at WVU.
        Both those guys were impossible to stop and amassed ridiculous REC numbers.

I favor Austin because he’s more versatile and faster on his feet.
        The kid is a blur with the ball in his hands.
        He’s a converted RB that catches and handles P/KR duties as well.
        I really see us adding a Slot threat like that and a deep threat or 2 in April.

Kaep can stick throws on smaller guys IMO.

Here’s the numbers on them –
        Austin – 288/3413yds 29TDs
        Bailey 210/3218yds 41TDs

Sick production from 2 guys under 6′ tall.

Austin runs much faster however, though also shorter.

Agree about Kap changing the priorities. Team needs play makers now. To be fair Baalke did that last year with Moss and Manningham with Smith as the QB. The team needs another real receiving threat at the WR position. I would expect Roman will increase the spread it out aspects more with a hot slot guy and a burner to stretch the field. I had hopes KW would become that slot guy but he may be too fragile.

Agreed 12th.
        Kyle, like Mario, could be facing an uphill battle to return from injury on top of it.

This WR group offers plenty of options in either category too.
        Plenty of slot guys, good options with the taller 6’3″+ guys and, all will be there beyond Rd 1.

One guy to consider, maybe Rd 2, Justin Hunter from TN.
        6’4″ 196 with 4.4 speed.
        He had more catches than team mate Cordarelle Patterson too.
        Thing that concerns me is, neither guy had monster REC numbers.
        Comparing them to the WVU guys is night and day.

Patterson is the Hot Prospect but only caught 46/778yds 5TDs last year at TN.
        I smell a hype job there.

I have 2 sleepers for our (my), Deep Threat/Tall Guy needs.

Mark Harrison – Rutgers 6’3″ 231 38.5 Vert with 4.46 speed.
        Marquess Wilson – Washington St. 6’3″ 194
        Not a speedster, 4.51 but, huge numbers while playing for the pass happy Mike Leach.
        189/3207yds 23TDs in 3 Seasons.

Probably could take a flyer on them late.

Would like to see Baalke start adding WRs like GB does.
        The more the merrier.
        Spread them out and pick them apart.

Thing is Kap is capable of spreading the ball around. Smith had Davis and that was about it. Kap has Crabtree but less exclusively, meaning he incorporates Davis and Walker amongst others. More weapons means less focus on any single player, at least in theory, and that works well for GB. Rodgers spreads the ball around and it is hard to keep him in check. If GB had a real run game it would help immensely.
        Kap and some pass catchers with the Niners run game is scary to any D.

The kid from Elon College, Aaron Mellette had sick numbers too.
      304/4264yds 42TDs.
      He’s a tall guy at 6’21/2″ 217.

Not sure about the level of competition he faced to get those crazy stats however.

That’s true of quite a few “names” in the draft but they can’t all play for Bama. Small school players are harder to judge but sometimes they leap off the screen.

You know it.
        Good Scouts will find them.

You see any chance of Baalke shocking the masses and grabbing a stud OT if he has the shot?
        A super athletic Terron Armstead perhaps?

He’s another of those small school guys that got noticed.
        He’s an interesting option.

Yeah that’s what it’s all about, great scouting and sound GM putting the jigsaw together then turn em loose to Harbs and Co. The franchise is well managed now and the coaching staff have exceeded expectations, at least in how quickly they have created a SB contender. It’s amazing to be back on top again.
        Things look good as far as roster for 2 maybe 3 years from now. If Baalke can keep finding the right talent it will go well beyond that.
        Another successful year and the assistant coaches will be head coaches elsewhere, I see that as the next big test for the team, is Harbaugh really this good or is it just as much the assistants?

Groom him for a year or 2 behind Staley?
        He’s one of those gems the pundits deem ‘A Value’ Pick.

We are certainly in the arena for those kinds of considerations now.

I would be part of that shocked world. I think the weak guy on the line is C and maybe they already have the replacement on the roster but if they stay pat with no changes it was pretty damned good last season.

The Rookie Cap is the key now.
        Very little risk at the Top in terms of Cap Suicide, plenty of reason to add youth for the future too.

You’re right about the Staff.
        It’s inevitable.
        Good Teams get plucked for Coaches.
        It’s actually a compliment IMO.

Look what Walsh & Parcells alone have scattered out there.

It’s part of the game.
        Compared to where we were pre-Harbaugh, I’m just going to enjoy the ride for all it’s worth.

Think about it, that line has 4 first round picks and I think Boone was undrafted? Eclectic mix but it proves the earlier point about small school players can make it.

I think the cap changes the game only in so far as the price for vets in general will be less because teams will be more willing to go the rookie route rather than the big payday, but once the vets cost comes down, as it already is, vets are a better bet as a known commodity. Exceptional players will still get huge paydays. I don’t think it changes the mix of vets and rookies on a team. Too much youth is not a winning formula.

Absolutely.
        Gotta find the kids that love to play football.

Too many come into the NFL seeking a paycheck and don’t fight to improve.
        I think our Staff does an excellent job of finding talent with the minimum of ‘baggage’.

My Son was asking me about the chances of selecting a stud OG and moving Boone back to the swing Tackle duties.
        Not sure I’d go that route though.
        Boone proved he’s a versatile guy inside, even though he’s built like an OT.

I wouldn’t hesitate to add a OC from this group too.
        There are several.
        If we do have Kilgore or Looney tabbed for the spot, Barrett Jones from ‘Bama would probably fit best for us since he’s a guy that played up and down the OL for Saban.

Top Center for me right now is Schwenke from Cal.

Most definitely is a balance.
        I’m advocating for future depth needs since we aren’t hurting right now for any one position.
        We have a good mix and I fully expect it to remain that way.

It becomes a game of jettisoning the high dollar Vet Contracts in favor of retaining the depth for the future.
        Paraag has been a genius in that regard.
        We manage our Roster extremely well.

Having a winning Team now also attracts good value on the FA market too.
        IMO, some guys will play for less when you’re playing Playoff caliber football too.

I take your point NJ49er, but I also think Moss and Jacobs played for less. Folks say it didn’t hurt us if we get a one year cheap deal from a washed up vet but it takes a space on the roster from someone who might have actually helped us.

Seems like guys such as Lelie and Bly played for cheap, too.

You’re right NoFear49er.
      It’s different now then those Lelie, Bly days thankfully.
      I do like the practice of having the Vet for leadership.
      Problem there is, getting the proper fit.
      Jacobs took a vacation on us, Moss at least helped the Locker Room by all accounts.

Hard to make predictions at this point but, I’d have to think there’s steep odds against Mario giving us anything meaningful.
      Wouldn’t surprise me if he were waived either.
      At the very least, I’m betting he isn’t ready for Camp.

How do you see the potential pieces stacking up for us on the DLine?
      Any early opinions?

I’ve never rated RJF very highly. I don’t think he filled in for Justin or Isaac very well. If he’s the best we have I guess I hope we keep him as a backup or rotational depth. I’d like to see Sopoaga play more in a rotation inside and LDE besides NT. If we lose them both I don’t think it hurts.

We can and do line up our nose in a shade or in the gap quite a bit so a guy who’s not a big two gapper could work as nose in our current system. With the success our guys have had in the nickel I don’t see us going back to more two gapping traditional 3-4 in a big way anytime soon.

The only glaring weakness I see is a paucity of the blitz. We’ve both advocated for more LeBeau-type pressure from all over. I think we don’t put enough pressure on the opposing passer. Otherwise I think we’ve got so much talent so familiar with the system we won’t have much of a problem, unless the injuries stop us, no matter what happens in FA.

Good stuff.
      We’d do well to find a guy like Casey Hampton for ourselves.
      No doubt Pittsburgh will have his replacement lined up in this Draft.

I see it the same way with Ice and RJF.
      Not gonna hold my breath for Goldson either.
      I’m sure we’re all hoping for Baalke to find our Justin replacement.

Heard several analysts make that comparison with Lotulelei.
      We’d have to sell out to get to him in the Top of the Draft however.
      Possible I guess, but I wouldn’t bet on it, unless he got out of the Top 10.
      Truly don’t see that happening.

We do need the pressure guy from the inside.
      Not sure who that is, Cullen Jenkins was one of those guys.

I’m more than curious about Margus Hunt from SMU now too.
      I’m also hoping Jerod-Eddie is one of those guys waiting to come on for us as that 5T guy?

I completely missed the performance of the GA Tech NT TJ Barnes at the Combine.
      He was the largest guy in the DT Group.
      6’6″ 369
      What sticks out for me on his stat line is a 5.30 40
      In several cases he bested guys weighing 60lbs less too.

Very good crop of DL guys coming.
      Can’t wait to see what Fangio and Baalke have on the Board for us.

NJ49er, I’d love to find a budding Wilfork (or Ted Washington) in the draft but I doubt the powers see that as important as we do!

As much as my interests lean to defense I’m curious about what our offense will look like. Harbaugh and Roman seem pretty capable at tweaking the scheme to the players. If we can put a top nine-route guy on the field I wonder if we’ll design some plays around him or even a game plan. That would put more pressure on our O-line and CK7 would have to cut down on the “once tucked he’s running” tendency. But I’d love to see it.

Who do you see as top QBs (FA and draft ) to bring in to camp for a QB2 competition?

To be honest NoFear49er, the 2 positions I’ve paid next to no attention to thus far are the QB and RB positions.
      Mainly because I think we’ll put them as far back of the pack as possible with respect to Draft importance.

My gut tells me Harbaugh will stick with Tolzien as the future backup or Trade trinket.
      I can see Matt Scott as a possible option via the Draft if he hangs around late enough.

Josh Johnson would likely make the most sense for this year, now that Alex has moved on.

Wow. Word is (hint hint, pressure) that Denver will cut Elvis Dumerville if he doesn’t restructure the way Denver wants him to. He’s a $13.6 mill cap hit as it stands now.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Peyton is running the show. He wants his boy Freeney there, after all Colts can become Broncos.

Major Market Corrections taking place now Chuck.
      Not a great time to be seeking huge Deals in the NFL, courtesy of the Rookie Cap.

My second favorite part of football is young player development. I love watching all teams develop their draft picks. Regardless of who the GMs pick, the good teams have great position coaches who can develop talent. 2011 was great to watch because Harbaugh came in with a new staff in strike shortened year, and Harbaugh and company developed a lot of guys.

I’m excited for this draft and preseason because the salary cap is forcing young or new player development, and the 49ers have the coaches. I love seeing the roster turnover. Regardless if guys like Soap, Haralson, Dobbs, Ian Williams, Goldson and RJF make the team or not, it’s my sense that a lot of the 15 picks will get significant coaching and playing time this preseason.

My favorite part of football is qb play. In 2013, it looks as though I’ll get the best of both worlds.

Akers officially cut…

And, in the least shocking news of all, the 49ers released David (I miss by) Akers today.

Any shot putters out there we can draft?

• snarkk says:

If Michael Carter has a kid, give him a try out.
      And, get that Norwegian youtube kicker over to the practice field at 4949 Centennial. Offer him some free herring and a beer just for the try out…

Margus Hunt has Discus experience Chuck, by way of the Estonian Olympic Team.
      Very impressed with his athleticism at the Combine.

The only knock on him is his age.
      He’s coming out as a 26 year old.
      Shades of Bill Walsh with Pierce Holt perhaps?

NoFear49er, to your point about the Offense earlier.

I’m chewing on all sorts of data on this WR Class and wondering whether the trend leans toward the Spread Game?

There are many more slot-type guys than there seems to be ‘Long Tall’ guys.
    I’ve thrown a few names out recently and I’m leaning toward a mix of both for our possible Draft targets.

The 2 guys that Geno Smith had at WVU, Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey, are shorter guys but racked up a ton of yardage between them.
    I actually think that type of package would suit Kaep and his Pistol experience just fine.

Throw to a spot and let them track it down perhaps?

I would make a run at TE Martellus Bennett in FA too.
    Nice tall target for the Red Zone followed by a TE Pick in April.

With depth as good as it is on the DL DB and WR areas, we could afford to ‘stock up’ for the future.

The positions I’m having the most trouble speculating on are the DTs and DBs.

I’d love to see us get a true NT an active 5T DE and a penetrating DT.

Margus Hunt is my favorite for the 5T.
    Can’t decide whether Kawann Short has enough muscle for the NT position and, John Jenkins concerns me for his motor.
    Jenkins has the size I’d love to have inside however.

I could also see us tinkering around with some of the small school D-Line guys to develop as well.
    Nick Williams/Samford, Brandon Williams/Mizz So State, Jared Smith/NH, David Bass/Mizz Western St, & Chris Jones/Bowling Green could all be had later.

My main concern is replacing Justin.
    That might mean making a major jump up the Board to steal someone like Lotulelei or Sheldon Richardson perhaps?

There’s plenty of DB depth to play around with in the 2nd and 3rd Rds I think.

Plenty of options certainly.
    Trying to predict what Baalke might be thinking is damn near impossible.

Ty Powell from Harding is another small school prospect I liked at the Sr Bowl and Combine too.
    He seems athletic enough to play OLB for us in the 3-4.

Built much like Ahmad Brooks IMO, similar in size and Ty was a DE at Harding so, he knows how to get to the QB.

We need to get a bookend for Aldon as well.

Could we make a run up the Board for Ziggy or Dion?
      Margus could be used as a situational Pass Rusher immediately I think just like Aldon did in his first year.

Another guy with a medical flag and tons of talent is OLB Jarvis Jones from UGA.
    If he slides far enough I wonder if Baalke would have him on the radar?
    Lot’s of questions, not enough answers for me yet.

Holt and Fagan had a nice run back in the day. Hey, if we can get 3 years out of Magnus ver Magnusson, go for it.

We certainly aren’t going to draft 15 guys, so I see a shitload of deals on draft day.

Exactly Chuck.
      I’m thinking we might replace Parys too.
      Some guys on the current Roster can easily be replaced by younger cheaper options.

Several interesting OLBs to consider this April.
      Again, good depth in areas we could stand to shop in.

Who, what, when, and why? No fucking clue.

DT, DB, WR rinse and repeat as needed.

NJ49er, I’m not sure why going to a spread offense is considered a good idea for us. All the spread teams watched the Super Bowl from home. Seems more like spread teams are looking for a read option guy that can run so they can put another TE and FB on the field. If Detroit had a FB they’d have a running game and Megatron/Pettigrew an easier coverage.

I don’t think the few plays we ran with an empty backfield were working well either.

Good point NoFear49er,
      I’m just advocating for the capability to use it with the smaller faster WRs that seem to be more plentiful.

Should be fun to see what Harbaugh has in mind for the personnel in April.
      We certainly have the horses already for the Power Run game.
      I’d like to see the speed factor in the passing game too.
      Quick strike and run sorta stuff.

• NoFear49er says:

Right, that’s what I had in mind when I mentioned a nine-route guy. We have a slot guy or two and short route, dump off targets aplenty. I’d like to see a legimate streak route/go route/whatever guy get some real attention in our offense.

As the Ravens pretty much closed down our read option for much of the Super Bowl, we could use another real dimension so as not to allow a defense to capitalize on last years’ game tapes as easily.

Crabtree isn’t a burner, Kyle and Mario both coming off an injury, Moss is done.
      AJ?
      Who knows?

Lot’s of questions at the WR position.
      Not sure what the answers might be at this point.

The kid from Baylor, Terrance Williams has some size and very good numbers.
      Not exactly what I’d call a speedster at 4.52 though.

Though I’m not excited about his speed (4.51), WR Robert Woods from USC has numbers you can’t ignore and, he’s done P/KR duties apparently.

Certainly have to keep him in the mix.

I still keep wondering what the plan is for Ricardo Lockette too NoFear49er.
      Talk about a burner?
      He’s got the wheels.

Chuck, they can’t cut Dumervil. The cap hit for all the guaranteed future salary years would be impossible.

Doesn’t Dumerville’s guaranteed money end after this season? I think it does. When he signed the contract extensiion in 2010, the guaranteed money was paid out over the next 4 seasons. So he’s only owed $12 mill should they release him.

• NoFear49er says:

I can’t find any consistent contract details on Dumervil beyond the chart I linked. But evidently his $12M salary for 2013 isn’t guarnateed until March 16. The chart has $4,869,000 as dead money for 2013 so possibly if he’s released before 3/16 that’s the only guaranteed money left unaccounted which would become a cap charge on his release. So maybe they do have some leverage on the requested pay cut at that.

29. Alleykat says:

Yeah Dumervil is owed 12mil this season.The cap hit would be 15.6 mil.The Broncos want to restructure his Contract,or they could cut him and owe him the 12.

Possible 49er free agent signings

Danny Amendola
    Glover Quin
    Phil Dawson
    Quentin Groves
    Aqib Talib

Dawson’s the kicker, right? Amendola is starting to remind me of Crystal Todd Shell.

New Thread Is Up . . .