UPDATE – Alex Smith Traded. The Deal is Done!

Goin’ to Kansas City. Kansas City, here I come . . .

Much to the relief of just about 7,999,999 49er fans (there’s got to be someone out there that wants him to stay. Right Dennis?), the story being reported by just about everyone is that a deal has been struck by the 49ers and the KC Chiefs for the services of erstwhile 49er quarterback Alex Smith for the 2013 season and beyond. The niners will get a 2nd round pick (34th overall) and a 2nd round pick in 2014 if playing time requirements are met. I said way back in December that the 49ers could possibly get a 2nd and 4th for him if his value was seen as a need for any number of QB-needy teams (Cleve, KC, NYJ, or SD I mentioned back then), before he would be released by the team around 3/14. I guess I underestimated what they’d get. Ha! You all laughed at me when I said this! Who’s laughing now? Uh, anyway. Nothing but good news for the Niners all around.

Lots of people said that he’d simply be released, and my 1st reaction was that as well. But I quickly realized (in Dec) that there were no FAs worth more than a bag of balls. Tavaris Jackson? Matt Moore? Jason Campbell? Purple Drank? Passerooni. Also, there were no QBs coming out that would resemble anything like the last 2 QB-heavy drafts. Geno Smith? Matt (who?) Glennon? Matt (hot-tub) Barkley? None of these guys may even get drafted in the 1st round, and they are the cream of the shitty QB crop this year. Doesn’t mean they won’t make it in the NFL, just that they won’t walk in and start winning like A. Luck, RG III, and even Christian Ponder. No go there.

Therefore, the trade value for Alex. They get a 2 and anything, it’ll be a great deal. Looks like it’ll be a 2 and a 2. Getting anything for Smith would be a big feather in the cap of the Niners front office, seeing as he was going to be released anyway. The vortex of weirdness that seemed to keep the Niners and Alex tied together seems to have created the perfect storm to get max value on his departure.

Huzzah!

About these ads

129 Responses to UPDATE – Alex Smith Traded. The Deal is Done!

Makes little sense to me why the Niners would tell other teams with interest to screw off, we’re basically done with a deal already. Let the others make offers, and set them against each other to bid up the price. Unless, they’re accommodating Alex somehow to go to KC…

2. Alleykat says:

Going to Kansas City,Kansas City here i come.
    My name is Alex Smith and im a QB who is bascially done.
    I’m hooking up with Andy,
    and were gonna shit a big one!!

I wouldn’t be surprised to see KC in the playoffs this year, AK. The AFC west is a joke and Manning is one year older,.

And in other news Manti Te’o just ran a 4.81 and a 4.80 to further damage his draft status.

Chuck, et al, in reply to the questions on your last blog, this is evidently the rule that has been applied to kickoff returns:

Rule 12, Section 1, Article 3

Penalty: For holding by the offense: Loss of 10 yards.
    Blocking Notes:

1. When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, Offensive Holding will not be called:

(h) if the action is part of a double-team block in close line play;
    Exception: Holding will be called if the opponent is blocked to the ground by one or both of the offensive players.

NoFear49er it was one of those plays that bit us in the A$$.

Obviously the Ravens executed the double team and in so doing, prevented Bruce from getting to the ground, or the ball carrier, in that instant.
      Hard to understand a flag not getting thrown by any Official, in any other game, in which that play occurred.
      In that game however, no laundry cost us.

I’d venture to guess that play turned the tide for them in the long run.

The 49ers aren’t saying anything publically but they certainly are circulating the rumor that Smith is traded. That means they either got what they wanted or they’re still creating a market for Smith. I tend to think it’s the former, but let’s not forget the level of trickanery Harbaugh employed with the whole Duke University, Peyton Manning look-see. I’m with Unca, though. I think a 2nd would be great, or a 3rd this year and a fourth next year…. something like that. For me, I wouldn’t trade for Smith. Still wouldn’t. Not on a train, not on a plane. It’ll be interesting to watch him play else where and see if he’s worth what he was potentially traded for without Harbaugh. Fear not blog hosts. Even though Smith will be wearing a different jersey next year, he’ll still be the gift that keeps on giving. I’ll find an angle.

I hope he does well wherever he goes.

• Spitblood says:

I’ll just try to objectively assess if Smith was worth a trade…… objective is the key word. I have a good track record being objective with Smith. Ask Twin.

That (h) seems like it is talking about and offensive play, not a KO return. But who knows? It was probably written in the 30s.

Alex is a proven commodity in a QB Draft Class that has none.

Somewhat poetic I’d say, that he came into the League under similar circumstances, (weak Class), and has now swung the pendulum in our favor.

No hard feelings Alex, glad we knew ya, best of luck, thanks (hopefully) for the extra Draft Picks(s).

Tom Brady just pushed the FA/QB Mkt closer to the low tide level as he took a reduced contract extension to insure his longevity with the Pats and making Alex look like he has an elite QB Contract of his own.

What might this say for Goldson?
    The FA Mkt is correcting in preparation for 2014 and beyond as Teams will no longer throw big dollar deals at individual players at the expense of Team Cap harmony.

Smart Teams will establish a baseline for the position vacancies and, will seek Players willing to fill them at the proper price.

Having put back to back winning Seasons together, the 9ers will also benefit from Players looking to win the hardware, over those looking to feather the Retirement Nest.

Interesting. Goldson ain’t getting his 5/40 that’s for sure. He’ll likely get his same 5/25 from 3 years ago.

Chuck I think the Mkt is correcting big time.
      We’ll see how it goes once the FA Mkt opens next month.

I have no problem letting Goldson shop his services.
      In this Draft Class, we can get younger and cheaper without any questions.

Than again, calling a $9 mill per year contract a steal is crazy, but yeah, the FA contracts will likely drop after this signing.

Yeah, I’m there as well with Goldson. We’ll just have to see what he wants

Exactly.
        Baalke has obviously made the offer and that ‘ball’ is in Goldsons’ court now.

Someone may throw a better offer at him which is what he’s hoping for.
        No harm no foul if he scoots for more loot.
        It’s business.

I’ve always liked Goldson – have been a big supporter of his even when Chuck and his merry band of cloned sible yes men attacked Goldson for “taking bad angles.” If I was going to dump one safety, it would be Whitner. But sometimes we don’t have the luxury of choice. I would hate for our safeties to be Whitner and Trenton Robinson. Yikes!

Goldson clearly failed us this year in the Falcons’ game, and Whitner and Culliver were no better in the Super Bowl. We need to upgrade our secondary, that’s for sure. Parcells said the game was about acquiring talent, not losing it. I don’t want to get into a bidding war with Jerry Jones, but I’d love to see Goldson locked up and signed to a long term deal that’s fair to both sides.

Vaccaro isn’t going to be there when we draft, but Fresno State’s Phillip Thomas will be and he’s a great potential rookie year backup to either Whitner or Goldson – or to just replace Goldson as a rookie If Jerry Jones slides in and overpays for Goldson, so be it. But if Jerry does, that makes the pick we get for Alex that much more important. We already need a cornerback, and rumor has it the 49ers are shopping for a cb in free agency. If we need a corner and safety, because Goldson leaves, that leaves us with Culliver, Whitner, Brown and Carlos Rogers. That’s not good, boys. That’s not good.

Spit the trouble right now is that the Cap is going flat.
      Teams see that and are getting prepared to whittle down the unnecessary Contracts.

Goldson has been a notorious ‘Bad Angle’ guy but has cleaned it up this year.
      I don’t want to lose him either, because there is value in continuity.

What I suspect will happen, if Goldson doesn’t re-up is, that Culliver slides over or, possibly CJ Spillman/Darcel McBath.

Robinson could be in line for Nickel/Slot CB duty or backing up Whitner.
      Who knows what the pecking order is for the future?
      He’s still rather green I’d think.
      Whitner gets toasted too often in coverage responsibilities but, he’s very solid in run support.

Whatever happens, it’s just about the Cap and, getting things evened out for the future Contract concerns.
      Goldson is a stand up guy, no question.
      It’s simply a matter of Baalke laying out the terms and Goldson seeking something more lucrative.

50/50 or less that he’ll see Weddle money IMO but…..?
      Someone with a boatload of cash, like Cleveland, may take a shot at him in FA.
      That’s business.
      More power to him.

To your point about replacement options.
      There are plenty of them in this Draft.
      Phillip Thomas is certainly in the conversation.

Guys like Sanders Commings is on my radar too.
      Many impressive options can be had.
      We’ve discussed many of them right here already.

Just another reason not to overpay a 28 year old Safety.
      Money saved is available to spend elsewhere in FA too.

I’m sure we’ll land on our feet.
      Baalke doesn’t impress me as a guy that makes hasty decisions about productive players and their value to the Team.

And…..
      Jerruh is one guy I’d love to see OVERSPEND on anyone in FA.

I hope he chokes on every misspent dollar in the process too.
      There isn’t anything I’d love to see more than that blowhard playing Fantasy Football from his Penthouse Suite at the Big Cowpattie Palace.

Kappy’s biological mom is back on TV, To what end I can on;y guess.

• Spitblood says:

I watched her on ESPN. I don’t like the fact that she’s doing interviews but I respect what she said. It can’t be easy for her to be reminded of her past every time she turns on anything sports related. We’ve all been kinda hard on her because we don’t want her fuckin’ with our qb’s head. But the reality is she’d probably be going through this regardless if her son was a welder, teacher or pro sports athlete. It just makes it harder on her because Kaep’s famous. Interesting to hear that she did go to a game with the Kaepernick family, but didn’t see Colin. Forgiveness is a great thing as long as that’s not what’s fueling Kaep’s drive. If it is, reconcile when you retire….. or when you’re confident you’ve arrived. I can see potential for reconciliation in a year or two.

If Goldson gets Weddel money, it’ll be from Jerry jerkoff. No way does Baalke pay that out. Not with Culliver on the team, and plenty of cheaper options out there.

And before you choke on your remaining synapse, Spitty, Culliver played plenty of safety in college and knows the position.

Chuck,
      JO Jones is already hitting his pastie white head on the Cap Ceiling and needs to stretch out Promo’s Contract in order to retain other older, overpaid underachievers on his Roster.

Highly unlikely that Egomaniac has any firepower, or the mentality, to wrangle a top FA off the Market anyway.

Again, he’s clueless.
      Let’s hope he never changes.
      Douche Bag.

Cowboys are also still paying off the fine for breaking the rules in the cap free year too. It was 1/2 last year and 1/2 this year. Jerruh won’t be making a run at Goldson without ditching a bunch of salaries first.

Culliver has played well at CB, in today’s game 3 starting caliber CB’s are required so I don’t see Cully moving to safety as his play at CB has more team value.

Fangio plays both safeties almost the same way. Whitner got torched for his poor cover skills. Problem is Goldson has good value at run support too. If Goldson stays they need another Safety with similar range presuming Fangio keeps the same scheme. If Goldson goes they could take a great cover guy and have Whitner play more run support.

Chuck said before that the key to this off season is the Goldson deal and it is.

I forgot about the cap violations, 12th . . . And you guys are right about Dallas’ cap woes. Without JJ to throw money around, Goldson just might stay. I don’t see any other team making a huge push for the guy. Denver may be looking for FS help though. Champ Bailey was roasted, toasted, and turned on the spit in the playoffs, and Rahim Moore wasn’t much help. Shit, they could move Goldson to SS and ditch Mike Adams.

Honey Badger ran 2 sub-4.5 40s yesterday. He moved very well in the cone drills. He missed a year of football, but he also missed a year of wear and tear. Wonder where he ends up. 3rd round? Could be worth a flier. The upside is pretty large.

Shit, with a beer bong I can finish a 40 in 4 seconds flat.

Cullen Jenkins is available. 32 years young. Might be a good addition to a d line that needs rotation help.

News from the trade front is that the Niners get one draft pick for this year from KC. Regardless of what anyone thinks of his worth, he’s being traded as a starting QB for the Chiefs. I’d think it would have to be a 2. 2 would be the 34th pick. And that doesn’t preclude pick(s) for next year. Only have 2.5 weeks to wait for whatever this deal is . . .

17. Alleykat says:

Well hold on the Alex Smith carousel continues…Arizona is possibly making a play for him.
    Oh.the drama.Sure he can go to our rival,doesn’t botjer the 49ers one iota.Just give us Patrick Peterson in return.

I immediately thought the same thing Alleykat –

I’d give them Alex plus 1 of 3rds in exchange for Peterson.
      Then perhaps they could consider paying Goldson to replace him?

I’d have to research it but, I believe Peterson was Drafted under the first year of the Rookie Cap too?

When Andy Reid traded Kevin Kolb to the Cardinals he got a second round pick and Rogers-Cromartie. That was the fair market then. The NFL landscape has changed with the rookie salary cap, but if the Kolb trade is any indication I’m thinking a second and a future pick isn’t unrealistic. It was, after all, Reid who was the driving force behind setting Kolb’s value. I’d be pleased as punch with a second and a future third…… and 8 million more to spend…… but the biggest reason I’m pleased as punch is Alex Smith will finally be gone. My ole nemesis. Dude gave me grey pubic hairs…..

It’s all about media buzz Chuck.
      Looking pretty good for us, especially when we sell the story at the Combine, where everyone is paying attention.

Watched the DBs today and have come away amazed at the talent in this Group.
    60 DB Combine guys is off the hook.

Keep Tyrann Mathieu and consider Khalid Wooten from Nevada.

I’m going to dig around a little more but, it appeared as if Wooten had some PR/KR credentials at the College level.
    If that’s the case, the risk potential with Mathieu isn’t worth it to me.

Wooten is taller, about as fast and definitely stronger too.

Other DBs worth watching, Darrius Slay, Dwayne Gratz and Robert Alford.
    All 3 would look good covering the slot for us.

No complaints with Trufant or XRhodes after seeing them run.

Wooten shows 23/493 KR and 17/245 PR.
      His time in the 40 was sort of pedestrian at 4.53 but I’d certainly be interested in his services later in the Draft.
      Mathieu was outstanding at LSU but as we know, he has some serious baggage to be concerned about.
      No way I’d be interested in that sort iof risk with a 3rd Rd Pick.

I’m sure Frufant willbe gone. The rest look good tho. . . Honey Badger is definitnely a later round guy. If we have 3 3rds, I might do it.

Xavier Rhodes ran a 4.41. I’m tellin’ you, NJ. Forget about the draft and the combine hype, that guy will be the next shut down corner in the NFL.

He’s a keeper Spit.
      Question is the slot you can find him in.
      Many of these guys would work in our system as interchangeable parts too.
      Either Rhodes or Trufant for me in the Press Cover CB role would be fine.

I’m very impressed with Sanders Commings UGA.
      He’s a 216LB CB that ran 4.41
      Sick numbers and, he’s big enough to consider as a S perhaps.

I was rather disappointed with Phillip Thomas.
      4.6s won’t cut it at the NFL level.

I’d also add Earl Wolf and David Amerson from NC St to the S list.
      Amerson is listed at CB but would probably work better for us at S.

Wolf had 361 tackles plus, he turned in a 4.44 and, weighed in at 209.
      This DB Group is ridiculously deep and talented.

I wouldn’t reach for a CB or a S, we should find talent into the 3rd or 4th Rds.
      Rhodes could be there for us however at the lower end of Rd 1, we’ll see?

Meant to suggest that Banks, not Rhodes, could be there for us at the bottom of Rd 1.

I think Rhodes is going to be a Top 15 Pick.

Banks and Trufant are interesting.
        Banks has the Ht but didn’t run particularly well.
        Trufant smoked it.
        Is Banks more of a Safety? Way too slow in Indy to be considered an NFL CB.

Going to be interesting come April.

I read that Rhodes’ 40 time puts him into the second best corner in the draft category. It’s good, but it also sucks. I’m a firm believer in the teams putting too much stock in 40 times. I think Rhodes is a top 15 pick now, which sucks. But if he ran a slower 40, he might slip to us. A perfect example is Phillip Thomas. 4.6? I’d bet you Goldson can’t run a 4.5. The beauty of the 4.6 Phillip Thomas number is that he’ll drop into the late second, early third round area. That means the 49ers could pick him with their second, second round pick (assuming we get a higher 2nd round pick for Alex). And the other thing about Phillip Thomas is that I bet he runs faster at his pro day.

Think the Bengals aren’t thrilled Mohammed Sanu ran a 4.7 at the combine and fell to them in the 3rd?

It’s all about fit Spit.
      Sanu has to separate and the DBs have to mirror the Routes.

I can’t get over the number of quality DB options coming into focus for this Draft.

I’m already rethinking my pecking order and where they might fit with our style of play.

Trufant is a shifty guy with Press ability.
      Great for the Slot with that speed too.
      Banks?
      He came highly rated and dropped a load in the 40.

Plenty of great kids to choose from this time around.
      We’ll do well I’m sure.

Just for fun, both Banks and Phillip Thomas crapped the 40.
        If you had to choose between the 2 for the Safety position, which way do you go?

I’d go with Banks.

Seems to be the Golden Rule, slow College CBs become Safeties in the NFL

• Spitblood says:

A safety only has to mirror a route for a very brief period of time – nothing like a corner. Most of the safety mirror is done on deep route double moves, and qb seven step drops. I’m not worried at all about Phillip Thomas. Kid can play. I’d draft him in a heart beat with 62.

Sanu was also seen as a #2 for them.

We’ll likely be looking for that type of guy in April ourselves.
      We really don’t have a true #1 at this point but, this Draft likely won’t have one anyway.
      Unless AJ was the plan last year?

Read that Woods from USC met with Harbaugh during the Combine.
      He kinda looks like a Manningham-type guy to me from what I’ve seen and, his numbers look very solid.

• Spitblood says:

I don’t think the 49ers are going to find a number one…… I think they’ll pull a Green Bay Packers and go with a ton of different number twos. I don’t think Greg Jennings or a guy like Marques Colton with the Saints is or was any better than Crabtree. I think they’re all number twos. Give me five number twos…… and some Pepto.

We have WR Ricardo Lockette working in SC with Kaep and AJ.
        Lockette was an absolute missile at the Combines a couple years back.

He needed time to develop and apparently we’re taking the time to do that.
        Seattle let him go.
        He might be the deep threat in waiting right now?

With all the Picks we’re holding, it’s going to be interesting to see what Baalke has in mind.

Both AJ and Lockette are speedy guys so we’ll find out if 1 of them emerges.
        Crabtree is solid and I have no problem with your GB analogy.

Whatever moves the chains and gets us points is all that matters.

• Spitblood says:

I’ve read a lot about Lockette and I’m not convinced. I think it’s great the 49ers have a guy who can take the top off the defense but learning to play receiver on the practice squad at the pro level doesn’t happen often. Who knows, thoug? Maybe he’ll develop some chemistry with Kaep. I’d love to see it. I think Jenkins will be fine. Everyone’s calling him a bust, but he basically got red shirted. We did have Crabtree, Moss, Manningham and Kyle Williams going into the start of he season, and let’s also not forget that number 11 was the qb for most of the season, then a second year guy took over. Hard to break in with a scenario like that. If Moss leaves, that leaves us Jenkins, Manningham, Crabtree and Kyle Williams. I don’t want anymore mother fuckin’ short guys at wide receiver. We have enough, thank you. I want a tall, physical receiver who’s going to out-muscle you. Last year I was screaming for Sanu or Alshon Jeffrey. I was right. Who gives a turd if their 40 times are slow? All they have to do is post up and come down with the rebound.

A taller TE with dependable hands would help that scenario too.
        Manningham has a tough battle to get back from knee surgery too.
        He may not survive or get PUP listed, who knows?

Lockette and AJ are both pretty acrobatic guys, who knows at this point if either is ready to contribute meaningful downs.

Good point about the Red Shirt, that’s about all it amounted to.
        He did get his feet wet and knows the process now.
        Way too early to apply a bust label.

Many wanted to do that with Crabtree too.
        I always believed he just didn’t want to be here.

More likely it was just the inability to get in sync with Alex.
        He and Kaep took off together when the opportunity presented itself, which settles that debate perhaps?

BTW Spit, speaking of Sanu.
        Another guy coming out from Rutgers is WR Mark Harrison.

He had an off year this past year but is 6’3″ and runs in the 4.4s.
        Got freaky long 35″ arms and a very respectable 38.5″ Vertical.
        Fits your description for that ‘go up and get it’ guy.
        He was the deep threat for Schiano before he split for TB.

Just throwing him into the conversation, I’ve got plenty of Combine review going on.
        Could consider him as a later Rd option.

Thomas is solid.
      His 40 will be the issue.
      As mentioned, there is a ton of talent in this Group.
      We should do fine finding good fits.

23. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Spitblood

You keep talking about Sanu and acting like he made some All Rookie team.
    He caught 16 passes for 154 yards. Josh Morgan caught 20 balls for 319 yards as a rookie for the Forty Niners.
    You seem to think catching one pass a game makes you a #2 receiver and gives you a hardon.
    The rookie 3rd round pick you should be gushing about is TY Hilton who had a great rookie year.

• Spitblood says:

Sanu’s the real deal. Remember, he has Andy Dalton throwing to him, and he was stuck behind several other good wide receivers. Give him a few years…. and a better qb.

I’m not interested in a guy that will be good “in a few years” Spit, the window is now. I would like 1 big bodied receiver to compete with the bigger CB’s in the RZ etc. If a more talented shorty is available though I think you take BPA over need.

The thing about AJ is he worked with Kappy for the first 9 weeks of the season, and still couldn’t really get out there and make plays. Granted, he didn’t get a shitload of opportunities, but yeah, we’ll see. I’m not too down on the guy. Yet. He’s supposedly working out with Kappy in GA. That’s great. Let;s hope he gets a bit of an attitude adjustment as well.

I still like Ramses Barden from SLO. He’s down on the Giants depth chart, but the dude is big (6’6″), stong and a good leaper. He’s an FA like a million others on March 12th. His one start for the Giants he blew up. 9 catches, 138 . . .

Tim Kawakami is reporting that the Niner have traded Alex Smith to the chiefs for their #2 pick this year and a 2 next year. They did better than I thought, and wow, that means the Niners have the 31st AND 34th picks. Leverage up the wazoo.

The San Jose Mercury News‘ Tim Kawakami reports San Francisco will receive a second-round pick this year and “a similar pick” in 2014.

Smith was having the best season of his career before an injury knocked him out of the lineup in November. Colin Kaepernick took over and led San Francisco to the Super Bowl. With a weak draft class and few other potential starters available, Smith was one of the top targets for teams looking to upgrade at quarterback.

Well there it is Smith is gone. We get the Chiefs’ second, and a conditional in ’14. That’s a great deal. We now have 15 picks, and are primed to bring in two or three impact players – potentially trading up for a heartbreaker like Star or a man with Oprah Winfrey’s ass in Xavier Rhodes. Do we trade up? Do we sit fast? One thing’s for sure, we have the cap room because Smith’s gone, and we have the picks. It’ll be an interesting off season. Hope Gamble’s input won’t be missed. If there’s ever a time when we need a collection of talent evaluators (both pro and college) it’s now. Let’s make the most of this cap room and draft pick windfall, Baalke! This off season could prove to be the doorway to a dynasty. .

Kansas City, the home for wayward Forty Niner QBs. Smith joins Joe Montana, Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, and Steve DeBerg as QBs going from the Niners to the KC Chiefs.

28. barleyfreak says:

Wow. A 2nd from KC (34th pick) is about the best 2nd you could get. And it’s a 2nd. This is awesome and much better than I hoped. Now Baalke has to do something constructive with his 7,348 late round picks he’s accumulated because those are unlikely to see 49er red and gold beyond the preseason.

29. barleyfreak says:

Hope we get the 2nd and keep our early picks. This, from Sando:

” Initial reports suggest the 49ers are getting the 34th overall choice and a 2014 conditional pick from Kansas City. That would be an outstanding deal from the 49ers’ perspective. Is that the full deal? We do not know whether the Chiefs were able to get any draft compensation back from San Francisco. The fact that Kansas City picks so high in the second round enhances the value for San Francisco, which also picks 31st. Stay tuned.”

30. barleyfreak says:

” Granted, he didn’t get a shitload of opportunities, but yeah, we’ll see. I’m not too down on the guy.”

He didn’t CREATE a shitload of opportunities. All indications are this guy didn’t either put in the work or have the mental noodles to grasp enough to find his way ahead of freaking Ted Ginn. I wish it were otherwise, and it is still only one bust year, but my gut tells me Jenkins was a wasted 1st round pick. We’ll see indeed. I wonder if he can double his production for 2013. Wait, that’s mathematically impossible.

It’s not that he had poor stats. He had no stats.

• philippinefan says:

“He had no stats.”

So I’m tied with a professional football player in at least one category…

You left out ‘Yet’ . . . AJ hit the doghouse hard. He came in out of shape, and Harbaugh gave him no quarter. I don’t profess to know what went on behind the scenes, but I was surprised he didn’t get more playing time once everyone else got hurt. We ended up in kind of the same situation this year as last. Down to nothing the the WR dep’t. in the playoffs. Crabs was good, but Moss vanished in the SB, and Ginn did little. Manningham’s injury was a killer. KW’s hurt as well.

This gives creedence to the idea that they would take Ertz if available with the 34th (or even 31st) pick. I’d pull the trigger.

Harbaugh loves him some playmaking TEs so he’d be a great fit, and a great RZ target. He’s a good enough blocker besides.

• Alleykat says:

Doubt they take Ertz Chuck.He graded out bad at the.combine,they say his arm’s are to short for his size as well,He is not rated as high in ability as.his former.teammate Coby Fleener say most scouts.
      Fucking A….A two this year,and a two next with Alex playing time im delierious…
      Five.picks in the first ninety-three players!!!!! Fuck Yeah!!!!

Funny thing is, the last KC QB to win a playoff game? None other than Joe montana.

Now if Smith beats Manning for the AFC West title, I will laugh all the way to Dennis’ funeral.

Ha!

34. Chico says:

I’m stoked at what the Niners are getting in return.. Sounds like we got a lot more that the talking heads on ESPN were saying.. Best of luck to Alex Smith.. Beat then Raiders!

For all the BS around Alex, KC was trading for a starting NFL QB. That means they have to put out something.

• Chico says:

Yep.. Some analyst said last week that he’d be surprised if the Niners got a third for Smith.. Crow tastes nasty.

36. Grumpy Guy says:

Just a thought to keep in mind: the 31st and 34th picks in trade would move you up to around 13. Throw in one of our thirds and you could crack the top ten. Not saying it’ll happen, but if the team identifies a real difference maker and wants to make a move, we have the ammo to do it.

Helluva job by Baalke to get maximum value for Smith. He’ll give KC more credibility at QB than they’ve had in a while, too.

Next year, we will again have a second pick near the first round (probably forty-0something, if Alex helps stop KC’s bleeding). So we’ll again have some options.

Chuck came closest to nailing it: 2 picks fer Smythe, maybe a second and a third next yeah? Something like that. Others were saying maybe we would get a waterboy and a cheerleader or two for Alex, the young Sir Alex. Uh, wrong.

This leaves us with a problem: what the fuck will we obsess on for the next 2-3 months?

If this turns out to be accurate, it makes sense it’s a done deal with 2 weeks to go because they got their asking price already and it was steep. Best of luck to Smith, hope we see him in the SB next year….Against the Niners!

Arizona would be aware of the terms of the deal so one can only hope they are going to make a run at Smith, it means making an even better deal than KC. Bring it on baby.

The first round picks should be no-brainer starters. Trading a second and a future conditional and taking on a fairly high salary is a good deal for a team transitioning to a new regime and its immediate QB troubles.

My darker side sorta woulda liked to face Alex twice a year though.

Now we can focus on getting some of our FAs re-signed and maybe a couple of theirs, too.

• “My darker side sorta woulda liked to face Alex twice a year though.”

True win or lose (I say we’d win more) that woulda helped nurse along our obsessions fer a few more years. But we’ll have to find new ones I guess.

Jason Cole says Niners are bidding on Revis.

Be careful what you wish for, and all that, NoFear. Reid’s a wise guy. That’s why he went to the AFC West. He also had a front-and-center view of Alex coming back to beat him last year. He wants a smart QB as opposed to whatever Vick was doing.

For those of you who enjoy reading this stuff, this article insinuates the Niners should give up most of their draft picks to get whatever player they are in need of

That didn’t work out very well for Ditka, did it?

I’d shy away from Revis. He’s a one-year rental and he’s coming off an injury. Too many other options out there than risking picks on Revis. Sam Shields and Keenan Lewis are very good CBs that would be loads cheaper.

Same with the FS dilemma. They could get LaRon Landry or Glover Quinn and not skip a beat.

47. Grumpy Guy says:

You only deal for Revis if you have an agreement for a long term contract.

Cole’s article stated that Revis would likely be a rental. He’s going to want 5/$75 mill going forward if he has a good year. Too much like the Deion Sanders acquisition in 1994?

• Grumpy Guy says:

Yeah, I’m not confident enough about 2013 to spend a first round pick on a one year rental. My distaste for Deion probably only reinforces that. If we could keep him for three years minimum, that would be different.

Shit, this is basically a late first round pick. And maybe a 2 next year? I was the biggest proponent of cutting Smith loose and just moving on but now that I see what we got I’m all over this deal. Especially because it’s an outstanding place for Smith to land. KC has a great running game and a decent defense. Throw A-Reid in the mix, a QB guru who clearly WANTS Smith and I think this can safely be looked at as a win for us and Smith.
    I think they announced it now as a contingency of the deal. The Chiefs probably didn’t want to worry about the Niners shopping their offer so they wrote up and deal that was contingent on it happening now (even if they can’t officially do it till March 12th). That’s another sign that this was a fantastic deal– only the best deals can dictate contingencies like this……..

This does work out well for both teams. I read some KC blogs and the chatter is everywhere from ‘yes, we desperately need someone who can come in to lead the team’ to ‘Shit! Not another washed up SF QB! We gave away too much! Shoulda kept Cassel and the picks!”

I get their anger. It is similar to what used to be said about the SF Giants until about 5 years ago in that there were no home grown stars. KC hasn’t drafted a starting QB that has won anything since Todd Blackledge.

The last QB to win a playoff game for KC? Joe Montana in 1993 . . .

According to the KC Star poll, out of ~4000 votes, 3200 graded it as a C or better, with A getting 850 and B getting 1600.

Scott Tolzien just got happy. That kid is now the backup to Colin Kaepernick. Two young guns, see how dey runs. Tolzien has wanted it more than anyone. He was undrafted. The Chargers picked him up and then he beat us in a pre-season game. Norv went on to say, “We have to release someone who’s going to have a very good pro career.” Then Tolzien beat out JJ. Tolzien was mostly inactive, and in street clothes, Tolzien would be seen regularly on the sidelines directly behind Harbaugh paying close attention. People have said Harbaugh will bring in a veteran behind Kaep and Tolzien, but why? It was said about Kaep that he wasn’t ready. Tolzien will be ready. And it’s not like the 49ers can’t rely more on the run with Tolzien – if necessary. I hope the 49ers don’t go the veteran qb backup route. I hope the 49ers draft QB Matt Scott from Arizona in the later rounds because the 49ers can develop and trade qbs. Get some more guys without baggage in the trade pipeline. We just got a second and potentially another second for a guy who two years ago was worthless.

For years I was writing the 49ers suck at the game outside the lines. That day is officially done. The 49ers are awesome outside the lines. I never thought for a second they’d get compensation for Smith. I thought they’d have to let him walk, possibly paying him another million only to extend the drama. I love how the 49ers are now winning the game outside the lines.

We now have cap space and a lot of draft picks. I honestly hope the 49ers don’t go with a high proflle player like Revis. I’ve speculated the 49ers would trade Smith for Revis because the weak spot in the 49er D is corner, but now that we’ve been compensated with picks. I hope we use those picks wisely. Draft picks are cheaper. If you go cheap, then you can focus on resigning your own. Guys like Dashon need to be resigned. He’s an immediate need, but if you go further down the line, you could rework other guys whose contracts aren’t immediately pressing.

It sounds conservative, but I’d go after a veteran D lineman like Cullen Jenkins or Freeney to help solidify the D line. Cheap, one year deals. Then I’d resign Goldson. Then I’d use later picks to move up. Picks 5-7 should be traded to help the 49ers target good players in the earlier rounds.

I really hope the 49ers land either cb Xavier Rhodes (who btw borrowed Oprah Winfey’s ass and apparently didn’t give it back) and / or Fresno State safety Phillip Thomas. Give me Cullen Jenkins or Dwight Freeney along the D line, and Rhodes or Thomas in secondary and we’re in business. I also wouldn’t mind seeing the 49ers turn their back on Walker and sign Jared Cook.

Cook will likely get F-Tagged in TN, we’ll see.
      Add Richard Seymour to the list of possible Cap friendly deals too.

I’m with you on Revis, too expensive now with the boatload of DBs coming out and, a Rookie Cap to allow lots of room to grade them, on the cheap.

Extra Pick at 34 puts us in the drivers seat to move up.
      XRhodes and Kenny Vacarro would be excellent targets now.

Add a Stud DE/DT to that list too.
      Ziggy or Dion perhaps?
      Sheldon Richardson?
      If Star checks out he could go Top 10 still but, he’s worth the Pick if healthy too.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Spitblood

Last week you were pushing for Alex Smith and Gore for Revis.
      Weren’t you saying to mark your words but Alex Smith would be released and the Forty Niners would get absolutely nothing in return?
      You also said the Forty Niners should dump Justin Smith while he still has value.
      Duh? Let’s trade one of the pillars of our defense for a bag of beans.
      Forgive me for speaking the truth but are you for real? If this was baseball you would be batting .119
      Does it ever occur to you that the majority of your opinions are total BS because you try to be a contrarian?

What am I missing? 32 teams in the NFL. Chiefs draft first. Should we be getting the 33rd overall?

SInce KC and Jax were both 2-14, they alternate by rounds.

I hope Revis is a no-go. The rest is all gravy. Goldson is good as gone. The Niners won’t franchise him, because he’s going to want big money, and he ain’t getting it from us. He may sign yet another low-ball deal from the Niners, but they don’t need to franchise him, and they don’t need to overpay. If not, they’ll get someone better and cheaper. Either FA or draft. Grant gets a deal. Ice? No. We went over this already, Spitty. Freeney’s close to done. SItuational pass rusher? Maybe. Again though you have to find out what he thinks he’s worth. There certainly are cheaper options in the draft. Provided they find them.

• Spitblood says:

I could see Goldson being more realistic this year. First a low ball offer, then a one year deal, then the franchise….. I could see him wanting to compete with the 49ers for three or four years – maybe putting together an incentive laden deal. I understand you saying he’s gone because teams can now market a 49er free agent to their own base. He very well may get more money else where. I hope he stays.

This DB Class is ridiculously deep.
        Goldson can walk now. Seriously.
        I won’t miss him simply because I think we get his replacement very easily in FA and the Draft.

I just replied to you above regarding Revis too.
        We can call the shots now with all these quality Picks.

Kudos to Baalke, this is how dynasties are built.
        Hit the Draft at the right time and get the pieces most needed when the shopping is good.
        I believe he knew what was coming this year regarding the WR position and, might have grabbed AJ to give him a leg up.

Ammunition to move up is great, standing pat gives us room to slide back too.
        Imagine a scenario with Te’o and Geno Smith on the Board at 31.
        Think someone might want to snag either guy before Baltimore or Jax pick and offer to move up?

Whitners’ and Rogers’ replacements are coming from this Class too.

We are getting younger and faster in all the positions of need too.

I’m setting my sites on the CB/S/DE positions if we make an attempt to move up in Rd 1.

Spit, the Niners stating they won’t franchise Goldson is a fairly big deal. They aren’t posturing here. Their stance is was and will be, you ain’t worth what you think you are. Good luck out there. The order of events for Goldson is: FA; pray for outside offers; if so, sign; if not, sign one-year deal with the Niners well below FT number.

And look at all the non-talk around him. RJF is getting ‘interest’ from other teams. Goldson? Nope. Not a whisper.

Might be a little early yet to throw out too many “feelers” unless you’re one of the few owners whose teams carry on with impunity under Goodell’s selective enforcement policies on tampering.

I think interest in Goldson is somewhat limited by his exposure during Justin’s injury and his own big mouth, if not simply system. Without Justin’s injury he’s probably got a ring on his resume and enough fewer burn plays on his film record to get paid nearly what he wants, though probably not here.

I remember though McCloughan’s insistence on not paying for guards was killing us. I hope we don’t end up trying Culliver out as free safety next year.

• Spitblood says:

I agree with NJ that there’s a lot of DBs out there this year in the draft. The 49ers are just flat out getting lucky lately with how things are working out in their favor come draft time. Soft market for qbs so Smith’s value rises. Niners need DBs and Walla… DBs o’ plenty. Niners need D linemen, this is the draft for it. In my view, the 49ers have four solid draft picks – a first, two seconds and a third. I’d take all my 4-7 picks, bundle ‘em up and move up into a higher pick – creating a fifth top 100 pick . Then I’d draft a safety, corner and two NT/DT. I’d use the Smith money to front load contracts much like we did with WIlis. I’d avoid Revis unless the Jets were willing to lend us his services for something less than a 4th round pick, which is doubtful. I might pickup a cheap DT like Cullen Jenkins. I’d also be working hard to resign Goldson. I might keep one late round pick for my boy, Matt Scott.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Probably need to save a second later one for a kicker, too. All the team’s doctors and all the team’s psychologists probably ain’t putting Akers back together again.

• Spitblood says:

That sucks too because Akers lost everything in a Fonzi scheme. Not ponzi, Fonzi.

Here’s the new, revised plain –

Free agency – Cullen Jenkins, retread qb who won’t make the team but needs to compete, maybe a TE like my boy, Jared Cook.

Draft – Condense 15 picks down to 7. Then go best player available with needs at CB, Safety, DT/NT (twice), kicker, and 3rd string qb.

Resign Goldson. Let Walker walk. No Cook, develop Tom Celek and his dolphin shorts.

Excellent article written by Killion. She should have ended it, though, with “Don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.”

57. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Spitblood

Jared Cook has caught 131 balls in 4 seasonss and scored 8 TDs total period. He is looking for top 5 tight end money and for whatever reason you want to grant his wish. Where do you come up with this
    BS?
    You are Al Davis reincarnated with your wacko personnel moves.

• Spitblood says:

Unca posing as Touchdown Tommy – When you look at the rest of the league, you don’t know bubkiss. All you can do is look at stats. You can’t evaluate talent. The only guy I’ve ever seen you say you liked and hitch a wagon to was Prince Amukamura. Nice work. That guy is lost in translation. Other than Prince, you always ride the fence or tear the other guy down.

58. Alleykat says:

Here’s a few more value guys,possible gems in the draft..
    Da’Rick Rogers WR Tennesse Tech good size,good speed
    Knile Davis RB Arkansas,6’2 217 lbs impressed at the Combine,dude is a beast and fast.
    Cory Lemonier,DE Auburn,like him a lot
    .Brandon Williams DT,Missouri Southern
    Trevado Williams OLB Connecticut
    Baccarri Rambo FS Georgia,dude is a savage hitter,with a CoolName,Company leader calling Rambo,talk to me Johnny,they drew first blood!!!
    Vance McDonald TE Rice
    Don Jones SS Arkansas St
    Duke Williams SS Nevada
    Khaled Holmes C USC

Brian Winters OG Kent St..no relation to Johnny or Edgar
    Ricky Wagner OT Wisconsin

I’ll tell you all one thing the 49ers could very easily do in the draft and it wouldn’t surprise me in the least. They could use their first overall on a wide receiver. I know we need defense, but Kaep with another number one wide receiver along with Crabtree and Jenkins….. that’s three first round wide receivers You can makeup for a lot of team deficiencies with a potent passing game. Look at the Packers and Patriots. Not saying it would be the right move, but it wouldn’t surprise me, particularly if a great wide receiver fell in our lap!

60. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Things worked out so well for GM Matt Millen when he spent consecutive first round picks on Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams. Before that they drafted Joey Harrington in the first round.
    Those draft choices ensured the Lions door mat status for a decade.
    I believe you should note there is not a surefire great receiver in this draft as only 2 are marginally first rounders.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Picking at 31 there are no sure fire anythings. Even at number one there are no sure things.

Baalke has done a pretty good job at player evaluation, though the issue is very much in doubt with AJ. But even a genius makes mistakes (*cough* James Owen *cough* Todd Shell *cough* Blanchard Montgomery). You just have to stack the board and trust your scouting. At least we don’t have Terry “I’m working from home this decade” Donahue picking names from a hat at random any more.

In draft weak at WR, I don;t think so, Spitty. And tell the voices in your head that everything’s fine. I’m not everyone else on this blog. And give my regards to FlyingV.

New thread is up …………………..