Forty Niner Free Agents – Who Stays? Who Goes?

The Niners as of now have 12 free agents on their team. I’m not counting Brandon Jacobs or Billy (wrong way) Cundiff fior obvious reasons. They are:

Randy Moss
Ted Ginn
Delanie Walker
Leonard Davis
RJF
Ice Soap
Tavares Gooden
Larry Grant
Clark Haggis
Tremaine Brock (RFA)
Dashon Goldson
Darcel McBath (who?)

The shoo-ins are L Davis, RJF, Gooden, Brock, and Grant. They are all solid backups who look to stick around and won’t cost too much. Haggins and McBath I have no idea. They are deep on the depth chart, so sure, why not? Keep ‘em.

The drops are fairly cut-and-dried as well. Randy (I guess I’m NOT the greatest WR in history) Moss and Ted Ginn, mos def.

The three biggest questions revolve around Dashon Goldson, Delanie Walker, and Isaac Sopoaga. Goldson, whose worth has been debated fairly regularly around these parts, is the lynchpin for this offseason. What they decide to do with him affects many other moves. Franchising him will a) piss him off, b) cost a lot of money ($7.4 mill), and put off for another year the quest to find a cover FS. Signing him will cost in the range of 5 years and $40 mill +. That’s a lot of scratch for a guy who, to me, has played very hot and cold for a long time, and is reachng the end of his shelf-life.

If they sign Goldson, then they have the option of tagging Delanie Walker. Another guy who has nearly as many fans a detractors. Walker is a great blocker and a big ST contributor. But he’s got poor hands. His 30% drop ratio was 2x as bad as any other TE in the league. If they tag him, it’ll cost close to $6 mill. A pretty penny for what amounts (to me) as a role-player. If he wants to be mroe valuable, catch the damn ball.

If they don’t tag either (by releasing or signing), there’s always the option to franchise Ice. Ha ha. Just kidding. He’d garner $8.3 mill as a tagged DL. He’s on the other side of the hill at this point, and since most teams in the NFL are passing teams, he’s barely in. He gets somewhere like 30% of the defensive snaps. he’s the one to go in the nickel. Not gonna happen. I don’t see the Niners signing him either. Unless he takes some kind of hometown deal.

Here’s a crazy thought. I don’t think the Niners tag anyone. The Niners have endless (14) draft picks in this draft and can easily replenish what they lose in Goldson and Walker. There will be some interesting FAs out there. Hey, mabye Tony Gonzalez would like to play closer to home for one more year.

About these ads

84 Responses to Forty Niner Free Agents – Who Stays? Who Goes?

Ya know, I thought about Gonzalez, too. But, he said something like if he came back, it would only be with Atlanta. Famous last words, if the Niners actually sought him out. I would take Gonzales for a year in a heartbeat. The guy can catch the damn ball. He’d get at least 70 balls IMO. Delanie is a nice player, but you can’t depend on his ass to catch the damn ball in a clutch situation…

Nice synopsis Chuck. Funnily enough I don’t think they tag anyone either. I think Goldson gets a contract and Walker walks although I would like to see him signed too. They might be willing to use a TE more in the passing game now in which case Celek works.

Gee you guys didn’t mention Alex Smith, not even once! What’s going on?

Breaking News? a replacement for Akers??
    Female kicker to break NFL gender barrier
    When Lauren Silberman shows up at an NFL Regional Scouting Combine for a kicking tryout in New Jersey next month, her leg strength won’t be the only facet drawing people’s attention. Silberman also will make football history by becoming the first woman to participate in the event.

RE: Goldson’s contract. It doesn’t matter the size or length, only what’s guaranteed and when. Most of the rest is just window dressing and bragging rights anyway and as per usual will likely remain largely unearned.

With the head coach pushing to sign him I think they find a way to satisfy his ego and cover their own asses, too. Before too much wailing and gnashing, check the price on a top, proven player at the position.

Also, it may be easy to draft *possible* replacements, but the history shows too many failures to think we can just plug in chepaer replacement rookies without certain and severe consequences.

Stokes wasn’t great I agree but a bust is a bit harsh.

now Rashaun Woods on the other hand

I can agree with that 12th.
      Woods definitely trumps Stokes

Looking at the rate of ‘Bustitude’ going into this Draft, the same 3 positions of need are in play for us again.
      DT/DB/WR

DT/DB being the deeper portion of this Class.
      Here’s where Baalke has to earn his keep.
      No more McGrew’s / Balmer’s or Rumph’s / Hall’s PLEASE.

I’d wait for a WR until at least Rd 3.

As would I 12th.
      With 2 3s, I’d save that 2nd 3 for a WR or wait until Rd 4 possibly.

Getting something in the Top 3 Rds for Alex would be huge.
      Could afford us the ability to deal up.

Agree, another 3rd makes moving up a real possibility. I think Baalke may package some picks and move up next year too. Interesting times my friend.

Sure is.
      Nice to be in a spot where we’re seeking value and depth.

Gotta be excited for the options/possibilities Baalke has, especially with the boatload of Picks he’s amassed.

Deals or extensions before the Draft are another indicator of Pick priority too.
      The debate regarding the FTag is a valid one.
      Fewer Tags appear to be en vogue League wide.
      The watering down of Market Value?

We touched on Parys in the last thread.
    If by chance we were to look for a comparable OLB at lesser cost I like these guys.

All 3 can cover and get to the QB.
    All 3 are Combine Invitees.

Jamie Collins So Miss
    Khaseem Greene Rutgers
    Brandon Jenkins FSU

Jenkins is participating within the DE Group but, he had an injury issue that could drop his status. The kid can play.
    Might be a steal if he slides.

I liked Chase Thomas for that role too.
      Saw him at the Sr Bowl and was underwhelmed.
      He looked slow.
      His numbers are outstanding though.

Maybe the Combine will improve his stock.

9. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

I have read some questioning the Fortyniners allowing Tom Gamble to bolt for Philadelphia in a lateral move. The reasoning per Gamble is to be closer to his aging parents and to return to the team he started with and the area he is from.
    What the Fortyniners did was a class move looking beyond the business ramifications and I applaud them for it putting family first.

I hope the loss is just killing Jim Harbaugh. But I have a sneaky suspicion Harbaugh instead is creating voodoo ref dolls and cutting their heads off in ceremonies with JoeBoo and live chickens. .I guess it’s a process. Hopefully Jim gets there.

Williamson (a former NFL Scout for the NFL, now with ESPN) is saying it makes sense that a lot of teams would want to trade back and acquire more picks because this draft is so deep. But he also says it won’t happen much because it takes “two to square dance…… or six…… or something like that…… Tango?). Anyway, that might make the 49ers the ideal candidate to move up in the draft. You do the math – 14 picks, Super Bowl loss, arguably the most complete roster in the NFL, a draft loaded with relatively equal talent and teams looking to acquire picks. I smell leverage. And I know leverage when I smell it. It smells like victory.

Like 12th said, the 49ers could move around and push (defer, extend, reverse mortgage) some of their picks back to 2014. But either way, 14 picks won’t make this team. Guys I’d like to see replaced:

Delanie Walker
    Trenton Robinson
    Alex Smith
    David Akers
    Will Turkafu
    Brock

Hey! That’s 14.

Some of these guys I’d like to see leave now thus creating an immediate need or replacement. But some of the other guys I’d just like the see the 49ers have a stud behind ‘em in training. I don’t think much of the 49ers’ depth right now except for their depth at running back.

Another thing to think about is what Walsh and Belicheat did and have done to stay competitive – trade older players. I’m not advocating trading Cowboy only because the Mexicans don’t make enough Tequila for one supremely grumpy bastard if Cowboy was seen wearing a Colts uni. But I wouldn’t rule out trading Frank Gore. It makes it tough with Kendal Hunter hurt but you have to be ruthless, and Kendal will come back. The idea is to trade the player when teams and fans go “Wow, I didn’t see that one coming.” Because when the whoopleheads see it coming, it’s too late. Richard Seymor? Ronnie Lott? Gotta unload the older baggage. If LaMicheal James breaks that run in the final drive of the Super Bowl, he’s in the end zone. Not blamin’ Frank, but Frank’s almost done. Why not get something for him?….. and draft his replacement.

Frank Gore and Alex Smith to the Jets for Revis and the Jets’ first round overall pick this year.
    That would be doing Frank dirty, but hell, Ronnie played for the Raiders. Frank’s no Ronnie.

The game continues. Huge mistake if the 49ers keep Smith and don’t start getting ruthless with their current players.

• barleyfreak says:

“The San Francisco 49ers are “highly, highly, highly unlikely” to release quarterback Alex Smith, sources told ESPN’s Chris Mortensen.”

I wonder how much they paid Mortensen to say that. They certainly WANT everyone to think that. Fear not Spit, Smith is gone. Whether we get a pick or two out of him is the only real question.

Alex makes a steady backup at half his current money, but not here. A starter looking over his shoulder on every bad play may as well be on the bench already, and that would describe both CK7 and AS11 (no that’s not AS2 as in Angel 2nd class, just an equivalence of CK7) if Alex stays here.

No reason to release him though as he has trade value, just do it. I wish him well in his new job.

• Spitblood says:

I seriously doubt Colin Kaepernick is worried about Smith taking the job back.

• NoFear49er says:

You may seriously doubt it, but keep the guy who the coaches have praised endlessly, give him a few first team snaps in practice and the odd play in a game or two and Joe Cool would be looking over his shoulder.

• Spitblood says:

Your name is ironic because all you do is preach fear. Honestly, the sky is falling in your neighborhood. Everyone should run for cover. ~NonStopFear~

• NoFear49er says:

It was so much easier to ignore your idiotic nonsense when you were drooling it out on your own blog. Now that your “insight” is spread all over here I guess I was bound to step in some of it sooner or later.

• Spitblood says:

So your message is that people should fear reading me? You’re a fear monger.
        ~nonstopfear~ and trepidation. Fear big government. Fear socialism. Fear the man taking your guns. Fear Spitblood’s geneous. Kaep should “fear” Smith taking his job. Fear those who tell you global warming is real. Fear gays taking away the sanctity of marriage. The reality is you live in fear. No offense. Just point things out to you.

• NoFear49er says:

Identifying a threat is the opposite of fear, and the first step in taking appropriate action, genie.

Thank you for the clarification — Clarence Oddbody.

“We have clearance, Clarence. What’s our vector, Victor?”

I still can’t talk about football. I don’t think I’ll ever get over the Super Bowl. Those wounds run pretty deep.

15. barleyfreak says:

I agree that Goldson gets resigned to an ego gratifying but reasonably $ committed sum. I also don’t think much of the market for Walker. For those that think other teams will snatch him, his inability to snatch the ball is a big liability, as is his height. Blocking? Top notch. But he won’t command a big amount for that w/o the receiving skills to complement. I really think he re-signs w/ the Niners, and for a reasonable amount (to the Niners).

mmmmmmmmmm – fudge cicles. Seriously, if they paid me in fudge cicles I’d work at a fudge cicle factory all day packing fudge………maybe Rob can hook me up with a job.

Right. As we all know ROB loves him some Cox.

Saying Smith stays is the most transparent of ruses. I can’t see how anyone believes that. But, hey, whatever works. Walker? I don’t see them trying to hard. Frankly that’s how I feel about Goldson. They’ll give him a decent offer and see what he does. He’ll pitch his usual fit, wait for the non-existent demand, and come back. I don’t see them trading Gore either. Or J Smith. Wring ‘em out til their contracts expire.

• Spitblood says:

I’d trade Frank. We need to get younger. He has value, upside, sellability and let’s face it….. he’s a great, great interview if you speak Chinese.

The Jets need a backfield. They need a qb. With Rex Ryan coaching they need established offensive players to sell to the New York crowd. No matter how much they owe Sanchez, you can’t walk out the butt fumbler again. You can’t do it and expect to pack the stadium. I’d offer the Jets Gore and Smith for Revis (and his one year deal), and a first round draft pick. If they didn’t go for it, I’d throw in a fifth round pick.

When you trade, you’re lookin’ for suckers. The Jets are suckers. And ask youself this…. do you think the 49ers can win the Super Bowl with Hunter, James, Dixon and another rookie running back? I do. The only problem with trading Frank is that Harbaugh needs to put Kaep under center next year and make Kaep a more conventional qb passing in the pocket. Frank can help Kaep there, but I’d still trade Frank.

They have too mu h already tied up in guaranteed contracts. They need to dump money, not take it on.

I gotta admit I get a lot more info from here than anyother place. As far as the draft goes, i don’t have a clue but reading you guys iI am hearing names that are new to me. Thanks.
    Spit- i wouldn’t trade Gore he is the ultimate 49er along with J. Smith, I believe it’s a chemistry thing. And, I am pretty sure I don’t want anything to do with fudge packing.

Gore must be kept.

• Spitblood says:

I’d trade Gore. Walsh used to trade, move or release guys before they were completely used up. It certainly messes with the chemistry, no doubt. But the message is that the team wants guys in their prime at important positions. Would the Ravens have won the Super Bowl without Lewis and Reed? Nope. But John Harbaugh has a different model – players before all else. I respect that, and I definitely want Jim to be more like John. But you don’t get emotionally attached to players. Jed York’s love affair with Smith might teach Jim that very lesson.

• Spitblood says:

You can’t live your life in fear or be afraid of hurting team chemistry. People expressed “fear,” about hurting the chemistry when Kaep replaced Smith for good. That worked out fine. Players know it’s a business, and Harbaugh and Baalke have a ton of locker room credibility. You trade Frank he’ll belly ache all the way to New York. But that’s life. Move on.

19. Alleykat says:

Spit…Gore still has mileage left in the tank.Jimbo used him smarter last year,less carries,more rest,his numbers are still top 5 -10 among all RB.
    Don’t see a switch yet,he still well respected among teammates and opponents,as a hard-nose grinder everygame.And he’s not coughing up the pigskin as he used too,more bonus points.
    Yeah if used right,with LMJ,Hunter and my favorite underated FB Bruce Miller(who should gets some bones once in awhile Recieving&Running) ala TomRathman days,the 49ers are set.Who knows if Baakle picks up a future bigger RB in the draft later for the future as well.

• Spitblood says:

Gore clearly has another year in him. That’s why you trade him. I don’t see Gore being good for two more years. Think of the Nolan and Singletary years. Jesus. It’s a miracle that guy can still speak Chinese.

Spitty, the Jets can’t take on Alex Smith’s contract along with Gore’s and already owe Sanchez a zillion guaranteed. Even if they lose Revis.

Again, Spitty, Lott and Craig were at the end of their contracts. These guys aren’t. They won’t get very much for either anyway They certainly don;t need draft picks. So, why bother when they are worth more here?

• Spitblood says:

I don’t think they’re worth more here. Smith is 8 million in dead cap space if you ask me. That’s not worth more here. Frank could be traded for a first if you confuse the issue by packaging up Frank and Alex for Revis and a 1st. The Niners don’t need more picks, but a first is always welcome unless you’re on Neptune. The link I provided above shows the Jets have the room, especially if they unload Revis. And think about what the Jets got last year out of Stephen Hill? Not much. He’s good, but he also got hurt. So Jets fans wouldn’t cry about giving up a first, especially for a couple of Super Bowl players. It could be done.

Sooooo, Tannenbaum is fine with paying Sanchez $12 mill to warm the bench while Smith starts?

Good one. Even if they lose Revis they are in cap hell. Losing Sanchez is the ONLY way they get Smith. NO ONE is going to take on Sanchez’s contract.

• Spitblood says:

By your estimation the only option is to trade Sanchez? Good thinking. How about a restructure or even a benching and just let him sit and bite the bullet? The Jets are clearly in a bad situation, but they need to put something competitive on the field.

Frank and Alex for Revis and a 1st? Tannenbaum would be tarred and feathered, then drawn and quartered.

You must be smoking some good shit.

• Spitblood says:

New York knows Revis is gone. Revis has held out once before. He’ll play for someone else in ’13. The GM would be praised for getting something for Revis.

According to you, Smith ain’t worth 4 mill. Now he’s worth either Revis or a 1?

Welcome to short attention span theatre.

• Spitblood says:

Smith is worth Revis because Revis is hurt, going to holdout, and he’s only got one year left on his contract. However, I doubt anyone will pay Smith 8 million. Smith would have to agree to restructure. And honestly, I think he would.

I could see a situation where the Jets restructure Sanchez, then trade for Smith ….. letting them both compete for the starting job. Despite what Unca is saying, the Jets have the cap space, and need the help.

Yeah, the situation is if John Idzik turns into Mike Tannanbaum II. Not gunna happen.

So, Sanchez restructures his contract to the Jets can sign his replacement? Doubtful.

• Spitblood says:

No…. Sanchez restructures to help his team and he gets a chance to compete for the starting job….. which he should do anyway then Jets fans don’t hate him so much.

27. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Spitblood’s fables.
    You are the guy putting down Alex Smith because he previously gave the Fortyniners a home team discount. Guys like you in fact derided him for not being coveted by other teams in the NFL.
    Fans don’t give a shit when a player helps his team with salary so you’re just dreaming.
    Your stupid comment on trading Gore and Justin Smith shows how much you know football.
    Rule of thumb to trading players is to have a better player in place to replace them.
    Without Gore and J Smith the Fortyniners would struggle big time to make the playoffs next year.

Sorry Spit, your whole line of “reasoning” of Gore and Smith to the JETS makes sense only to you and I don’t think you really buy it either.

• Spitblood says:

Depends on what the Jets want. I don’t think trading Smith and Gore for Revis and a 1st is beyond reason. It would be great for both teams if the Jets have a win now with Rex approach (‘because Rex is on the hot seat). The old GM certainly would have pulled the trigger on this deal. But the new GM probably won’t because the smart thing to do for the Jets is to cut guys, have dead cap space due to poor contracts for a year or two and let the young guys play – meaning draft choices would mean everything to the team and they wouldn’t part with a first. But that’s logic and most of the time logic and New York don’t belong in the same sentence. If Woody, Rex and the new GM want to make a splash with a “win now,” attitude, Smith and Gore for Revis and 1st is a great trade. But if the Jets want to build the right way with a more long term approach, this deal isn’t for them. Like I wrote earlier, when trading you’re lookin’ for a sucker. To find the sucker you need to understand the sucker.

29. Alleykat says:

Anyone think the 49ers might make a play for DT Henry Melton Chicago?
    6’3 295 FA.If he’s not franchised.
    Dude.is a beast,6 QB sacks,25 tackles for losses,couple force fumbles.etc etc.

Never even heard of the guy. Sounds good, though. However, the Bears are saying they “fully intend to use the franchise tag on Melton” so it probably won’t happen. Maybe they’ll take Gore and Smith in a trade and then we sign him.

Smith goes, Gore stays.

And in other news, Justin Smith had successful tendon reattachment surgery yesterday. Rehab ahould be quuick and Cowboy will be back to his old self.

Old being the key word there, . . .

first I think you are right smith goes Gore stays. I expected gore to have a down year this year with Hunter taking a lead role and LMJ getting spot duty. Gore turns 30 this year, RB’s usually show signs of decline around 28 and usually hit a wall at 30. Niners used Gore more wisely last season and the results were another strong year for him but how many more can he have left? Gore is due 6.5 mil this season in total, none of it performance based except that he needs to be active for 13 games and includes a 400,000 workout incentive to stay at team facilities. His 2014 contract is identical for 2014 at least that’s how it is broken down here:

RB position is a bit unknown now due to Gores age and injury history, Hunters recovery and LMJ’s size as a featured back. They do have Jewel Hampton, described as a bowling ball with legs and Dixon.

Spit posits trading Gore and certainly Gore is at the twilight of his career but since he had another very strong year it’s hard to estimate when he breaks down. Spit is also right that to get anything for Gore they would trade him now as his value only decreases. I think with Hunters productive return uncertain the team will keep Gore for this season but he is probably gone next.

Hunter’s injury plays into this, as you said. If he was healthy, I’d think there would be an outside chance to trade Gore. As it is, I doubt it heavily. Gore is under contract, so they’ll let him play out his string. Depending on how things go, you figure it from there. If he has another strong year, well, then it gets dicey. It would be bucking the odds, but who saw AP nearly breaking the rushing title after his nasty injury? Thing is, they’ll play him as they did this year. He’ll get his rest breaks and he’ll break off some big games.

The biggest change in Gore’s productivity is the huge difference in catches under Nolantary compared to Harbaugh. He doesn’t get asked nearly as much to catch passes out of the backfield as he did under the previous two coaches. He still gets his 1,200 but doesn’t catch 40-60 balls like he used to. He’s down to 25. That has certainly paid off on the wear and tear on his body.

Still and all, what would they get in trade? Nothing like what they would lose in leadership and guts and game smarts. No chance they trade him.

New thread is up . . .

Gore no longer can take it to the house, he gets caught from behind and as you say his pass catching opportunities are far less now but last season he was very productive and he has been the face of the franchise up until Kap took over. I would say there is no chance he goes this year, but the odds are he is gone before the 2014 season starts. It was just an interesting titbit that Spitty put out there for debate.