Jimmy G, Come On Down . . .

In a fairly shocking development, the 49ers traded one of their two 2nd round picks for the services of one Jimmy Garappolo, the backup QB for the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots.  This trade is stunning to me as it shows a lot of things behind the thinking of Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch. This isn’t a ‘win now’ kind of trade, but it is a look at the future of the quarterback spot.

Jimmy G is not a fairly well- known commodity, but he is young and his small body of work (17 games) he’s has 5 TDs and 0 picks in pretty much nothing but garbage time. His one shot when Tom Terrific cooled his heels for deflated balls he beat the Cardinals, and got hurt while throwing for 234 against the Dolphins.

Garoppolo is on the last year of his deal, so you have to think that this is basically a try-out for him for a big deal here. I’m not sure if this changes the thinking around Kirk Cousins but to me it throws a little shade on the supposed love affair between Kirk and Kyle.

This could be a determining factor on the 1st round pick next year as well. They could conceivably forego a QB in the draft and instead go elsewhere if Jimmy Garoppolo works out and they pay him the proverbial king’s ransom.

AS I said, this isn’t a ‘win now’ kind of thing, but it also shows that these guys aren’t very happy with the state of the QBing so far. Hoyer was let go, and he was originally part of the trade, but the Pats would have lost a compensatory  pick apparently, so here we sit. With a new possible future QB and a shitload of questions that will be answered come December 31st.

As a postscript, Jimmy won’t play this weekend against the Cards.

79 Responses to Jimmy G, Come On Down . . .

Hoyer backed up Brady along the way already, potentially he could land there on the cheap again.
    I’m fine with the move since I thought he would have been an option when Chip was here, given his connections to Belichick and all.
    Hopefully Jimmy wants to be here long term.
    Otherwise, it’s a potential rental which wouldn’t go over so well.
    I’ll assume we can make him happy financially with the Cap revenue available to us.
    Call me satisfied from the perspective that it likely will negate the need to get caught up in the Draft a QB-hype.

I’d bet a ton of money Hoyer goes back. The Pats only have one QB right now. Some hack named Braady.

Hoyer would be an effective back-up to Brady whereas in Santa Clara he was damn near useless. Everyone wasn’t happy with the QB situation and the need for change became apparent after this latest fiasco. Beathard is more ready to be the back-up and going with only him was unacceptable. The losing will continue no matter who is QB so more changes are coming and of course it will not save this sorry season.

I like the trade also but I hope we didn’t give a 2nd for 8 weeks worth of work.

• Lurker John says:

By getting him now, the Niners can apply the franchise tag to him if they want. Assuming they like him after the season, I assume they’ll try to sign him. Either way, he’ll be a Niner one way or the other if they want him.

I’m positive Garapalo is the answer to all the 49er troubles. There’s no doubt this will be the answer to all of your prayers. I’m happy for you all.

6. Lurker John says:

Garappolo has one advantage and that’s mentoring under Tom Brady. I’ve only seen him play a quarter or so, so I don’t really know what we’re getting, but he certainly can’t be any worse than what we’ve seen so far. And how could he not be happy coming to SC? He has a legitimate shot to earn the starting QB job for the SF 49ers.

Gotta figure Jimmy would be cheaper than Kirk in the long run.
    I just want to avoid rolling the dice on a College QB with Pick 1 in April.
    Let someone else buy our Pick and take the risk.
    We need extra Picks not wait and see potential.
    Shanny has 6yrs and all but, Jimmy is well ahead of the learning curve at this point.

Maybe getting him now is a smart move. We can evaluate what his skills really are, kick the tires a little and after 8 weeks we should have a better idea if we want to keep him. I know NE likes to work out of the shotgun a lot but I think KS likes the QB under the center for the most part. I could be wrong on that one.

No, that about fits Winder.
      The bigger concern is keeping the QB upright.
      Decision making and game speed should come much easier to Jimmy at least.
      CJ needs time to adjust, as would any Rookie we’d Draft in April.
      Jimmy is ahead of the game in those terms.

If the Offense could at least move the chains some, the Defense might stand a chance to keep things close.
    Our issues are getting into a rhythm on Offense.
    Timing is everything in this WCO scheme.
    Hesitate, even a tick, and all is lost.
    I still love the Defensive game overall.
    Offense is a bonus.
    Not gonna happen overnight unfortunately.

• Lurker John says:

I agree NJ. The defense in almost every game has been stingy until some time in the 3rd quarter, when they finally get worn down. If the offense does anything, the defense figures to get even better. Barring the endless string of injuries of course. Sounds like Ward is now done for the season.

it’s a great, low cost move. If we had taken Watson this year this wouldn’t even be an issue but that’s in the past. As Lurker said, he’s been learning under Brady and Belichick and that’s good enough for me. It’s a little concerning that Belichick would let him go for only a #2 esp after keeping him around for so long AND Brady is a hit away from retirement. But whatever, he’s here and I’m going to be positive about it since it’s obvious a legit QB wasn’t on our roster.

NE would have lost him for nothing at the end of the year. As Winder said it may very well be n 8 week rental but at least we’ll have a better idea of what we need to do QB wise.

• Lurker John says:

Good piece, but I’ll argue till I’m blue in the face against Belichik being the great coach ever, and Joe Cool will always be the greatest QB ever in my mind.

12. Lurker John says:

After watching Watson’s spectacular performance on Sunday, you have to wonder about the credibility of some of these NFL scouts. The dude looked phenomenal. Powerful, accurate arm, unbelievable athletic ability, squared away character. He gave one of the best D’s in football fits the entire game. Were it not for a freakish drive by Russell Wilson at the end, he would’ve gotten a win at the toughest venue in the NFL. The Texans stole one with this guy.

• Winder says:

Yeah, Watson is gonna make a name for himself. I know that picking a QB in the 1st round is risky and a lot of times they don’t pan out. But in the last two years Goff, Wentz, and Watson all look like keepers and good picks. This year we need to pick the best OL’s on the board just like we did 2010 and if we go for DL’s get them off the wire.

13. Lurker John says:

After watching some highlights, you notice some things right away about Garoppolo: he has a strong, accurate arm, he’s very mobile, and he has a very quick release. All those will be welcome things after Hoyer, who’d wilt in the pocket at the first sign of trouble, and Beathard with his rookie tendency to hang onto the football way too long.

Yeah, As Flav said, had we drafted Watson we would be in much better shape QB-wise. That was a hell of a game. He looks like the real deal. Shit, look at Alex Smith. He’s getting MVP talk . . .

The little I’ve seen of Jimmy G he looks good and confident. Big, strong arm. Quick release.

Who saw Dak Prescott as anything but a backup/flyer type? Yeah, he’s on a loaded team, but he looks solid. Wentz has surprised me. I thought he was a little too much hype. I didn’t think he’s be as good as he is. But system does help. Goff is doing spectacularly without the Jeff Fisher albatross around his neck.

At least Hoyer is gone. Damn I did not like him at all and I’m sure Lynch knew he had to get rid of him ASAP.

Query: To celebrate this latest trade will Spit go out with a pillow case and grab some candy on Halloween? Or will he stay at home and turn off his lights?

17. 12th Man says:

CB Robinson traded to the JETS.

Wow. As inconsistent as he is, I think he’ll get better. Funny thing is the Jets head coach Todd Bowles had no idea of the trade and was told about it by a reporter.

ANd I thought the Niners were terrible at communication.

We the the Jets 5th round pick next year.

19. Lurker John says:

So glad Robinson is gone. Akhello now the man. Robinson was a penalty machine.

• 12th Man says:

They cut CB Will Redmond too. He was the ACL warrior Baalke took in the 3rd round and said would be ready for the season that year.
      Not so much.

So I am still wondering how they are going to evaluate Jimmy G if the O line is still a sieve? We see what A Smith can do with a good O line and yet the Niners let him go. And how are they going to evaluate JG if the receivers are dropping passes that hit them in there hands?? Seriously 😒

The purge is necessary we have to weed out the players that really aren’t very good (Robinson) and players that don’t have the character of the team that we are trying to build. What Lynch and KS are doing is re-branding a franchise that fell in a hole. I don’t think any team has ever gone through an overhaul like this years Niners. I am sure if Lynch or KS could pull better players out of their asses they would do it. The injuries have really taken their toll but the biggest problem about that is while they are hurt we can’t evaluate em. Our FO is not fucking around. It is gonna look bad for awhile but if we can hit on the draft and pick up some quality FA’s maybe it won’t take as long. Right now our OL couldn’t stop a college team.

Yeah that OL is make shift at best at present. No QB can survive for long without protection. Niners need bodies.

• Lurker John says:

I agree with all you said, Winder. Realistically, we’re looking at a 2-3 year process before all the detritus is cleared out and the correct level of talent is in place. There’s no real way to speed up the process. It would be nice to get a couple of wins this year, and I think we will, but it’s of no real consequence moving forward.

The good news is, if Garoppolo works out the high pick can be used on something other than an unproven QB talent. That OL seriously needs to be upgraded. I’d start with a top flight center.

Seattle did much the same in 2010 when Pete got there.

When they let Kerley go, it was pretty clear that if you were of the previous regime on offense and not named Joe Staley, you were likely gone. I think the defense isn’t going to lose as many guys, but even still, they are weeding out the chaff. Disheartening to me is how bad Kilgore has looked. For all our problems, the line was decent at the start of the year.

Apparently Hoyer was signed by NE. Goodbye …….good luck.

I am sooooo glad the Astro’s beat those stinking Dodgers.

Yeah but they’re better than the Giants unfortunately. Sniff……

• Winder says:

Just about every team is better than the Giants. I am kind of wondering what we are gonna do this offseason. We need pitchers and some hitters, and some fielders. We might just be like this years Niners and reload.

I’m afraid you could be right. We need 3 OFers, and 3 pen guys at the least.

Damn…..Jimmy G. is going to be the back-up against AZ. There’s a chance he might debut in this next game! With this patch-work OL ……good luck!

Well, Brown should be back at least by the Giants game. Staley after the bye I guess.

At this point I wouldn”t mind losing the rest of the way. Once again I am all for drafting offense and using FA to get defense. And, once again I would take a RB with the # 1 pick if Barkley is there.

• Winder says:

I would not have taken MaCaffrey(sp) with the 2nd overall pick. But I would have considered Fournett(sp). I wish we would have taken him ins\ted of Thomas. But, i probably would have went with one of the DB;s. Anyway, fuck it. Draft Barkley and then Olinemen at least 3 of em,

Fournette is the real deal. He looks great. McCaffery is too small I don’t think he plays more than 5 years.

29. Lurker John says:

Terrible news about DeShaun Watson. He was having a great rookie season.

• Winder says:

Yeah, the kid was really having a great year and on a team without a lot of big name players. He has also saved my ass on a bunch of FF teams. Oh Well.

30. 12th Man says:

Garcon gone for the season, its unbelievable how many mainstay starters are gone. Who the heck is the QB supposed to throw to?

• Winder says:

I guess Kittle. Both Robinson and Goodwin are gonna have to step up. I know they can do it. Bourne is capable also.

Niners poor season is just getting worse. Injuries and poor play is taking its inevitable toll. Basically this season is just practice. The new QB will be at great risk with this poor OL and the coaches know it.

Robinson was dogshit when Goodwin went down earlier in AZ. He spent the entire game running the wrong routes. 12 targets in the AZ game, and 3 catches.

For all the injuries in football, you rarely get this bad an injury during practice. That really stinks for DeShaun. He was having a great year. People wonder why ratings are down. Just look at all the top players already hurt.

I mean really. Tom Savage vs Jacoby Brissett?

• 12th Man says:

Niners have used IR 20 times this year, most in the league. Considering they had one of the poorest talent rosters to start with they really have little chance to properly evaluate players, especially skill players. Tough spot for JG to step into if he does and BeatHard is exactly what he will be getting.
      I still think they will win some but it gets bleaker by the week.

Between now and after the bye they need to find an LT. And maybe a guard. Or two. And a WR.

Tough sledding that’s for sure. I like getting Jimmy G. But not as cannon fodder.

At this point I think the Niners are using the IR out of respect to the older players. There really is no reason for Garcon to be out there any longer. If we can keep him healthy then maybe next year will be better for him. This way we do get a look at the younger guys, Just a thought.

Just reading this blog I have an ache in my back! This Niner season is one big OUCH!

37. 12th Man says:

I saw this breakdown of JG in his limited action. Looks promising.

I still see nothing but a bright future for the Niners. Even at 0-8 I understand what our FO is trying to do.. One thing they are not doing is wasting time. If they feel a player isn’t performing up to their expectations they will play someone else and get rid of em. I feel we did have a great draft, Thomas played his best game last week, and Foster is just gonna get better. CJ will be our backup next year and we get Joe Williams back. Kittle and Taylor are keepers, Witherspoon will be a starter, DJ Jones should be back and Colbert is playing pretty good. I am not so sure about Pita but I think he is a work in progress. In other words all our draft picks should be back and rightly so. I am still having a ball with this year. But then again maybe I am a little crazy.

39. 12th Man says:

I have 2 tix available for free to Sundays game if anyone wants them? I can send them by email, includes a parking pass. Can’t get to the game this week.

How about a win today? Yeah I know the OL is a disaster. Injuries have taken their toll. The new QB is not ready. Damn life is difficult with a losing team. Where’s Spit to cheer us all up.

HEy 12th. You still have the tix? Where are the seats? My wife and I would like to go.

I sent you an email 12th.

Thanks

• 12th Man says:

My pleasure, wanted them to go to Niners fans.

Please check your email Chuck, need a piece of info from you to complete sending them.

Got it. Thanks again!