Your Retooled 49er Squad

Here they are . . .

Round 1: Pick 7 – Oregon DL DeForest Buckner
Round 1: Pick 28 ( via trade with the Kansas City Chiefs) – Stanford G Joshua Garnett
Round 3: Pick 5 (68th overall) – Mississippi State CB Will Redmond
Round 4: Pick 35 (133rd overall) – compensatory – LSU CB Rashard Robinson
Round 5: Pick 3 (142nd overall) – from San Diego – Appalachian State DL Ronald Blair
Round 5: Pick 6 (145th overall) – Georgia OL John Theus
Round 5: Pick 37 (174th overall) – compensatory – Ole Miss OL Fahn Cooper
Round 6: Pick 32 (207th overall) – from Denver – Louisiana QB Jeff Driskel
Round 6: Pick 36 (211th overall) – compensatory – Florida RB Kelvin Taylor
Round 6: Pick 38 (213th overall) – compensatory – Michigan State WR Aaron Burbridge
Round 7: Pick 28 (249th overall) – from Kansas City – Western Kentucky CB Prince Charles Iworah

Raaah-thurrrrr. Prince Charles? Yes! U, really, I give this a Meh. Double Meh. Baalke once again plays it like he’s immune to criticism and he’s got unlimited time to turn this thing around. First pick is solid. Helping the line? OK I get it. But . . . we’ve gone over that. 3rd round? Yet another ACL guy. This time it’s Will Redmond, a  semi-troubled guy coming off a major  knee injury. The next CB is another problem child. He sat on a season-long suspension rather than transfer, and came out early. Little game experience, but the potential . . . yadda yadda yadda.

I also don’t get passing on Cook for Driskel. He’s QB 4, so I don’t even see him making the roster. He’ll be a taxi squad guy. If that. 3 CBs drafted, and 3 O linemen tells you what the braintrust thinks of our existing guys. So, as usual, a lot of late-round fliers mixed in with the first two picks.

UDFA additions:
Kevin Anderson, LB, Stanford
Jered Bell, S, Colorado
Devon Cajuste, WR, Stanford
Demetrius Cherry, DT, Arizona
Jay Fanaika, DE, Utah
Lenny Jones, DE/OLB, Nevada
John Lunsford, K, Liberty
Bryce Treggs, WR, Cal

WRs from Cal are usually solid to great. Same with Stanfoo. Again, you have to wonder what they think of the current crop of players when they get this many  UDFA WRs.

40 Responses to Your Retooled 49er Squad

Far to many “ifs” with the 3&4 rd picks. That was the time for solid picks not maybe’s. That said I liked the overall picks.

2. Lurker John says:

How the hell did Kenny Lawler fall to the 7th round? He was a stud at Cal, tall, rangy, huge hands. I have a sinking feeling he’s going to kill the Niners for years to come.

• snarkk says:

I think scouts figured the Cal receivers’ success was all Goff. Nuh uh. Lawler is really good, has hands, can climb up and grab balls away from smaller DBs, etc. He’ll make the Seahawk roster. He will do some damage to the Niners. The Niners took Treggs undrafted, that’s fine, but I’d rather have had Lawler, much bigger, more durable…

3. Lurker John says:

What is it with this franchise having a blind spot for guys playing right up the road.

In conclusion a titantic BLEEP! Bring on the Monster Trucks and the dancing girls!

5. rob says:

Somebody last thread asked who Driskel was ? He’s a QB who drove us Gator fans nuts when he played here. One drive we had a championship caliber QB the next we had Larry from the three stooges.

• rob says:

I hear he’s turned the corner and it’s clicked for him since . He went on to another school, LSU I think . If he can keep it going in the pro’s he may do OK.

6. rob says:

Well great 1st rd. IMO
    I wanted Billings. Adding him to our two firsts would have been something. The rest of our picks were swing for the fences picks. Either they’ll be all that or misses.
    At least Baalke has balls
    and didn’t play it safe

Five down, eleven to go!

hey, I actually liked the Free Agent pick ups better than the draft picks. Read all their twitter quotes, they all seem pretty motivated and ready to prove guys wrong. I’m sure not a single one of them will make an impact but I can at least root for them, right?
    Ragging on the TB draft has just gotten too staid for me. I can’t do it anymore. I’m just gonna hope for the best, that’s all anyone really can do when it comes to any draft if you think about it.

by the way, I completely agree with Snarkk’s 4:10.

All about competition in this Biz.
    Younger/Cheaper/Faster, yada yada yada….

Glad they invested heavily on the OLine too.
    Several of the guys selected during the Harbaugh reign likely won’t fit with Chip anyway.
    Just like Baalke, every other GM made selections that may, or may not, stick.
    Picks are a roll of the dice.
    They get a chance to earn a roster spot.
    If that happens, they have a chance to make a good living for a awhile.
    I see very little risk with the top 2 Picks, and, both guys are well known to Chip.
    The rest of the Picks?
    Everything is up to them to make it work.
    One thing about coming to a team with a new regime, everyone is on equal footing, so to speak.
    Put up, or, shut up.

11. Lurker John says:

Louisiana Tech, Rob, same school Terry Bradshaw went to.

Read that Chip/Baalke liked Driskel’s size and speed.
    Somehow they’re suggesting he ran a 4.47 at the Combine.
    From what I saw, he was Officially credited with a pair of 4.56s.
    Not that big of a deal, I guess.
    It’s still a respectable time for a guy near 240lbs.
    With Chip, it all comes down to seeing the target and making a quick accurate throw.

By comparison, Goff turned in 4.82/4.83 at 215lbs.
      Wentz, at 232lbs went 4.77/4.78
      Nice to compare numbers at a lot of positions but, the QB has to have the ability to function mentally, if nothing else.
      See it at full speed and, know how to execute it.

• Lurker John says:

Also faster than Kaepernick’s combine time, IIRC.

Very similar guys Lurker John, in terms of the measurables anyway.
        Kaep seems to have edged Driskel by a whisker by what the NFL has given him credit for.

Just for shitz-n-giggles, compare the opinions between the 2 Bio’s.
        It would seem we’ve got the polar opposite of Kaep in Driskel.
        Kaep the runner with the big arm.
        Driskel the more pocket patient guy with the quicker twitch on the short stuff.
        Both guys very limited in taking snaps from under Center too.
        Might suggest that Chip could be more comfortable trying to groom Driskel perhaps?

Driskel passed the Chip test…..rest assured of that.

14. rob says:

I like the O line picks

In Chip we trust. Right?

Just like most every draft we do, I like em until I don’t. Since everyone is a work in progress I will have to cut Baalky a little slack. Chipper said he wasn’t involved with this draft and that it was Baalky’s baby. Who believes that? A rhetorical question. If Chipski didn’t have his hand in this I got some beachfront property in Wyoming for ya.

• rtfirefly says:

I don’t know, Winder, with this organization you never can tell. Combine that with The Chipster’s record as GM and I’m not even going to hazard a guess who has his hands in what. Did you know that Paraag, after that much-publicized “demotion” last year, is the top 49er football boss today? That’s right, VP of Football Operations (amongst other things). With Denise as owner and her baby running the show, I mean geeeeez…

Shit, I thought he had to relinquish that title. To make him VP of football operations means it’s all about the money. Anyway, I have been involved with this organization way to long to stop now. The way crap keeps piling up it’s hard to get a clear view, I guess we just gotta hope for the best. And, if ;possible have a sense of humor.

• rtfirefly says:

He was “demoted” from President to Chief Strategy Officer and Executive Vice President of Football Operations/Managing Partner of DeBartolo Enterprises (I think I got that right).

He is the last word on contracts, salary cap and football analytics.

In other words, he’s the gorilla in the room. I wish I had gotten a demotion like that.

That’s what scares me most with the ‘analytics guy’ title.
    It smacks of ‘Moneyball’.

Might be a good approach for a pitcher vs a specific batter in Baseball, as it’s a 1-on-1 matchup.
    Given the dynamic of the game of football, stats might have a hand in determining whether a LB can run with a TE or RB.
    Beyond that, if the LB can’t tackle or, diagnose a play, what’s the eff’n point?
    As I suggested many times, Baalke is being overshadowed by a bean counter.
    The GM title appears to be about as advantageous as a VP in the local Bank Branch up the street.
    Simply an empty, or gratuitous, title.

• rtfirefly says:

Paraag was the guy who did the analytics for Pappy that so impressed him he hired college interns to grade college prospects for the draft.

He’s also the same guy who sat with Jimmy Raye in the OC booth, keeping track of timeouts and challenges AND feeding Sing play recommendations based on his analytics.

I trust him not. Not at all.

Trust me RT – I’ve questioned his involvement in football business for quite some time now.
        Let football people run the football side of things.
        Contracts ARE a place for his business expertise, no question.

There were rumblings, way back, that Paraag might have been the fly in the ointment regarding the Harbaugh/Baalke unrest.
        It sure wouldn’t surprise me if true.

A meddler, of the non-football variety, could certainly explain why things got so uncontrollably out of hand as it did.
        Could you imagine Harbaugh and Baalke discussing player evaluations over film review and, perhaps, hearing the bean counter suggest his GPA as it relates to Draftability?

I still think our biggest problem is having enough talented players. I am pretty sure last years coaching didn’t do us any favors but that only goes so far.

If I look at the timeline Winder, it’s the perfect storm of incompetence.
      If the FO Braintrusts can’t agree on a plan, nothing can work.
      Add to that, the Drafting of Kaep and his eventual lack of development.
      Where to point fingers isn’t the answer for me.
      It comes down to who’s in charge, and how?
      If Baalke is answering to Dr Daddy’s lackey, where/when/how, are the football minds allowed to find football players?

I’ve said a hundred times.
      Let football people run the football business.
      HC/GM/Coaches need to have the elbow room to put guys in the Locker Room that they feel can play the game.
      Pick your own analogy.
      Too many cooks…..Too many Chiefs……
      It would appear, at least for the immediate post-Draft period, that Chip and Baalke have agreed on the needed pieces.
      Again, time will tell.
      The entire Harbaugh philosophy has had to be re-tooled on the OLine.
      Protect the QB/Sack the QB.
      Good start at least.

And, let’s scour the annals of football pre-Draft Scouting methods, to see whether we’re the first Pro Franchise, to enlist the services of the Team Chaplain in player evaluations while we’re at it.
        Ownership seems to be MUCH too involved with Micro-Management to me.

The ‘too many Chiefs’ analogy was put forth by Eddie D back in 2010, as Sing was getting the heave-ho. There has never been any sort of orderly lines of communication since the Dorks took over. Having a room full of smart people doesn’t always help.

The old paralysis by analysis theory.

I know that happened with the coaching staff and the four-headed-play calling scenario.

KNBR the Sports Leader keeps being pathetic. Stupid people yaking stupid things, someone has a birthday and they have to make a big deal about a personal matter. Then throw in that stupid obnoxious Tom Shane and his jewelry ads and you have broadcasting at it’s lowest. The Giants broadcasts are about the only decent thing on this crappy station.

Well, CSN’s Dana Stubblefield is in the RayMac realm of trouble. Yet another case of the victim coming forward a year after the alleged assault took place, and the subsequent character assassination.

Seeing as he isn’t working anyway, there’s nothing to fire him from.

What a dynamite game! The Blazers blazed out to a 17 pt. lead in the 1st. The Warriors kept going on their trademarked runs to cut the lead way down, but the Blazers just kept punching back to stay in control. It wasn’t till almost halfway through the 4th before the Warriors finally tied it up. Still the Blazers kept fighting and it was back and forth for a while more. They sure don’t look like the non-playoff rebuilding team they were assumed to be. (I still have a soft spot in my heart for Rip City from my times working up there. Great area, lousy jobs.)

Without Steph this one was crucial. Six down, ten to go…

Considering all the pieces the Blazers lost from last year to this, right. Hell of an effort by both sides. The Dubs kept clawing back only to get stopped at every turn. Till the 4th quarter. Down by 11 to start the 4th, and they win by 11. The 36-14 run is insane. Barnes had some big points as Thompson was scuffling most of the game. Another team effort in the greatest sense of the word. The four-headed center is proving to be a pretty good asset. Actually they had 5 different guys in the 5 . . .

New thread is up.