Super Bore 50

The venue looked great, the weather was perfect, the turf even held up after the haftime lip-synch-a-thon. The commercials were even fairly decent. Although the puppy-baby-monkey thing was stupid beyond belief. The baby trying to shoot out of her mom to get some Doritos was clever if not odd.

All that being said, I must say this was the worst Super Bowl of them all. I vaguely remember Super Bowl V where the Colts beat Dallas 16-13 on a last second field goal, but this one was bad. Neither offense did anything all day, and the stats bear this out. The winning team had 194 total yards of offense. Lowest ever for a winning team. Both teams combined for 15 punts, and were a combined 4-29 in 3rd down conversions (Denver an astonishing 1-14, or 7%). A whopping 14% conversion rate. 7 fumbles, 2 picks, and 18 penalties for 153 yards.

Sloppy, boring, and dull. Kinda like watching the Niners play this year. These defenses are great, but Carolina had a ton of chances and wasted them. At least they moved the ball occasionally. 315 yards is nothing spectacular, but it did show some offensive consistency. However, they fumbled, missed FGs, dropped passes, and committed a shitload of stupid penalties to stop themselves at every turn. They came in ill-prepared for the defensive onslaught, and appeared to be showing up to win the game, and looked like they took Denver way too lightly.

Kudos to Denver’s book-end pass rushers Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware. They harassed Cam Newton to the point of utter frustration and pouting. Very reminiscent of how the 49ers made Dan Marino look like a chump. I’ve never liked Denver, and Manning has never been my cup of tea either, but they at least took care of things and didn’t make near the mistakes that Carolina did. Their defense took it to Carolina, and they had no answers. So Carolina’s feel-good season crumbles amid their own hubris.

This one was one for the dogs.

superdog

24 Responses to Super Bore 50

Yes, one for the dogs! WOOF!

Lets have a Winder music video selection. Time for some entertainment.

Apparently Manning gave Papa JOHN a kiss. I didn’t see this but it was reported on air by someone. Also Manning was hawking Budweiser on air.

Yeah, I thought that was odd. Maybe that’s his favorite beer. He said
    “I’ll be drinking a lot of Budweisers tonight” when he was interviewed on the field. He later said ‘beers’ when on the stage.

Oh and that Levi’s turf is still “terrible.” WTF!

Had a lot of fun with the Dan Hicks stuff yesterday and just happened on this stuff.

49ers in the game? The 49er effect on the game was very strong with Gary Kubiak. Our QBs coach back in 1994 netted Steve Young an MVP award, and a Super Bowl Championship in Super Bowl XXIX. He famously was on the losing end of Super Bowl XXIV though as a member of the Elway-led Denver Broncos.

Then there was Ted Ginn. He was very good and then very bad. Kinda sounds familiar. He made some nice catches, but shied away from contact the whole game. He let a pass bounce off his hands for a pick, and his punt returns were negligable. 2 yards on 8 punts? Yeah, a lot were OB, but a lot were fair catches.

Then there was Vernon Davis. Who, you ask? He gets his Super Bowl ring for being a hood ornament. No catches in 3 playoff games. I think he was targeted twice. Peyton must have lost faith when he dropped that 3rd down pass that would have sealed the Pittsburgh game. Vernon may just click-clack his way out of the league. What I find odd is a lot of people dog Cam for his antics (and his performance yesterday was awful), but they heap praise upon Mr.Click-Clack as if he isn’t a huge disappointment based on his size and speed.

VD’s time with Denver proved we got the better end of the deal. And that was meager.

Vernon still has his big mouth. He should make a good broadcaster when he’s finished suiting up.

Good for Manning, not my fav team but good for him, a great ending to a great career.

Panthers O line looked like shit against that formidable D line of the Broncos. Even the league MVP can’t perform without time to throw huh, go figure.

On another note. Not too impressed with the staff Chip has put together, looks from the outside like an experiment. I thought we had enough of those already. Time will tell.

9. dirtnrocksnomo says:

Yeah, at one point my 90 year old great grandfather said this was like watching a 49-er game. I thought that was about right. Whatever. Good for Manning. I’m happy for the guy. The brand placement was a little much though.

Yeah, we have at least one year of suckitude. I just wonder how the QB situation plays out.

Kind of a big deal.

If I had a choice I would keep Kap, and Gabbert and draft someone but not before the 3rd round. Let Kap and Gabbert win the job and see what happens. If Chip is anything close to the creative O guy he is supposed to be I would think he would find a way to use his players in a more meaningful way. Same goes for Hayne who I thought they gave up on way too easily. He may not have been ready to be an every down back but some feature stuff is what the guy was born for.

It’s a Baalke draft, i don’t expect very much from it.

Well, we should know the fate of our existing QBs before the draft, so that will sort itself out somewhat. Baalke has done very little on the offensive side of things with the draft so I’m not exactly thrilled about it. Time will tell I guess.

I don’t have any real idea how Philly has done in the draft, or who ran it. Chip’s trades and signings were pretty much a disaster. Baalke? Well, we know how that’s gone.

Oh boy.

Well, did a little digging, and Chip went all defense last year (except for USC WR Nelson Agholor in the 1st rd) and that didn’t work out too well. Eric Rowe is a good corner, but the rest got hurt at one point or another,

Howie Roseman was in charge previously so I don’t give a shit about that.

For the next couple of months we will hear and read so much bullshit about the draft that by the time it happens most people are just glad that it’s over(kinda like Christmas). We got lots of needs but none bigger than the offensive makeover. We need a QB for our future. To me that’s the #1priority. Then we need OL’s, at least 3or 4. We need a couple WR’s and we need a RB that can stay on the field. I don’t know who is gonna be out there in FA but we will have to be big players in that this year. And since it has been proven once again that defenses win championships we also need a lot help in most areas there too. I honestly don’t see us competing for our division this coming year but that’s ok as long as we get some good players that will grow with the team. I still worry about Baalke and the scouts who evaluate players because something is not quite right there.

• Winder says:

Remember that we picked RB-James Owens before we picked Montana so we need a little luck like that again too.

Yeah the draft is a crap shoot. They can’t measure heart and the mind of some of these guys. They have to have “football smarts” besides the obvious physical skills.

Right you are Winder. This season is all about righting the ship. We have close to $50 mill for free agency, and we have a boatload of picks. Including #7. Since the signing day is 4/1 and the draft is 5/1 or something, we will at least know where we stand with guys like Kaepernick, Ahmad Brooks, and countless other guys on the fence.