The Curious Case of Gabby Gabbertson

In a fairly shocking (to me anyway) development, Blaine Gabbert is playing some decent quarterback these days. Granted, the Falcons and Bears aren’t quite the Seahawks or Cardinals, but even in those losses, the Niners looked better than the earlier losses to those respective teams. Not much, but yes, better. In the Cards case, the O moved pretty well but couldn’t score.

I guess i just thought Gabbert would look like he did last preseason, and frankly his whole Jacksonville career, where he floundered around and threw weird passes to no one in particular. Granted, being a starting QB for the Jaguars is no square deal, and he was under the gun wht whole time as the savior and such, but hew appears to be getting his game under control. Sure, he took some sacks he shouldn’t have, and this highly conservative offense is not reminding anyone of the 1988 Niners, but Gabby did finally hit a deep pass in stride to Torrey Smith for the game-winning TD in OT, and he did convert some nice 3rd and long plays. Things that were lacking in Kaepernick’s time at QB this season.

The line is playing nominally better, and Kilgore Trout is back. At TE, mind you. The run game, even with Gabby’s 44 yard scamper (75 total), was anemic. However, Shaun Draughn is proving to be a very solid find off of the scrap heap. He had a nice 26 yard catch and run on a 3rd and 5 play to go with his 1 yard TD run.

The Niners were outplayed, out-hit, and out-hustled for the most part, but the defense didn’t break given all the field position problems the offense presented. At times it looked like no one wanted to win this, but hey, a win is a win. Draft position be damned. This isn’t the NBA, where teams routinely tank for better draft spots. Football is way too easy to pick out the guys mailing it in. I have to give credit to Jimmy T for getting the guys somewhat ready for this, and to Trent Baalke for getting scrap-heap guys like Shaun Draughn, and Gerald Hodges, a couple of in-season finds that have helped this year.

Funny thing is, Gabbert was rated the worst BACKUP in the league at the start of the season. Now he’s 2-2 as a starter.  Imagine that. I guess that $2 mill a year was well-spent.

35 Responses to The Curious Case of Gabby Gabbertson

It was a good win, the confidence in some of our younger players like Tartt and Ward is showing. I guess we will see Gabbert as our starting QB next year and maybe that’s not the worst thing that could happen. And, I agree about the draft order, let it fall where it may. To me the worst thing that could happen is Jed not cleaning house and of course there is always the possibility that he could pick a whole new staff of losers, but if he doesn’t address the real issues then we will be seeing this product for awhile.

Right. This season is all about player evaluation, not about these coaches saving their jobs.

Baalke and the coaches need to go. Clean house. The only coach, once again, I like is Rathman. He wants to stay and be the RB coach? Let him.

• Winder says:

If not for the injuries our running game isn’t bad. But maybe Rathman has had enough of the bullshit that’s going on around him. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

Tartt is playing well after the collective disaster in Seattle.

Looks like we get to face Johnny Eightball in the mistake by the lake game.

• Winder says:

This should be an interesting game. I actually think Cleveland is better than their record and that we’re not quite as good as ours. I hope for the win but I’m not holding my breath.

Please Winder whatever you do don’t hold your breath. Bad idea. Bullit may take you up on that idea.

We can only hope he shows up for that game inebriated.

4. 12th Man says:

Gabbert and Alex Smith have similarities, career arc, QB style, but that ends where Gabbert has the arm to do what he did in OT.

Gabbert is building his confidence, you can see it, and he has enough talent to go with the experiences he has learned from.

Niners take a QB next draft regardless, but Gabbert is doing enough to keep the job at the moment. Lets hope he continues to grow and gains more confidence.

Oh and his interviews are easy to watch. That’s refreshing in itself.

Yeah. Didn’t think Gabby would be doing this well. Nothing spectacular, but he isn’t falling on his face.

Which is pretty much what I expected.

And, beyond that, what was with Adam Gase? You’d think that he would take shots at our ramshackle CBs. Nope. Ground and pound for the most part. This guy wants to be a head coach? He’ll give Greg Roman a run for his money. A slow grind to nowhere.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I agree on the QB situation. I thought we should have drafted one in 2014, let alone this year.

Scot-O rolls out another snarky column, but he did get off a pretty good line:

“The game was such a non-thrilling head-clanger that all the fans in Soldier Field were forced to undergo concussion protocol after the game.”

The other thing with Gabbert, he is only 26, 2 years younger than Kap. So with the right coaches maybe he gets better. It is not like he is 32 or 34 years old and at the end of his career. What if the front office drafts a QB and can learn behind Gabbert? What if the front office drafts for the O line. Oh and is Hyde going to be back next year? Is a great running back needed or just a couple of good ones? A team could have two good backs and platoon them. Just a thought.

F Hyde can stay healthy, he’s the real thing. They need an offensive coaching staff that can utilize the guys we have. We DO have some talent.

Speaking of inept, these are the class teams of the NFC East.

Looks like the refs are pulling for Dallas.

12. ewisco says:

gabbert is probably just the right guy for Goff to sit behind for a year or two. i think it’s vastly underestimated how important it is for a young QB to sit on the bench and learn for a year or two. steve deberg filled that role back in the day and BG could be just the guy for JG. the trick is moving down in the draft to get him. i realize they have many other needs but to me, if you have the chance, get JG and then you have a year or two to get the rest. but if i go this route, i’m loading up on the OL. if your qb is constantly in the ground he can’t be successful. this whole scenario would look much better if they had focused on the defensive backfield like they should have for the last 3 years. that just shouldn’t be a need at this point.

Right, wisco. They didn’t draft for corners or o linemen like I thought these past couple years. Let alone a 3-4the round flier at QB.

Which is why I want a new GM. There is nothing g to show on offense in these drafts.

Schneider in Seattle just have away $7Mil to CB Cary Williams Chuck.
    Baalke isn’t the problem.
    It appears the Whiz Kids, Jed and Paraag are interfering in his assigned duties.

Money Ball isn’t the answer for me.
    Baalke is the ONLY guy in the mix who has NFL Scouting experience in that mix.

He needs an Offensive-minded HC to help him develop the roster on that side of the ball.
    He likely have Harbaugh the Kaep Pick and, we know where that stands right now.
    He was smart enough to spend a 6th on Gabbert, which may be beneficial from a Cap standpoint going forward.

This is one of the crappiest games ever. DSJ is s moron. As us McFadden for going OV there.

I disAgree NJ. This team had a ton of immediate needs due to all the known defections that were coming. They didn’t address CB or o line. They needed an ILB and drafted an OLB. With all the draft picks Baalke had we did t fill the necessary holes.

How stupid s Dallas? Leaving DSJ singled up near the end zone?

Now wash gives up the 50 yard kr.

Berger?
    What gives?
    You MIA or what?
    Got a couple of Fat Men in the Middle to keep an eye on.

Jarran Reed – ‘Bama 6’3″/313
    Sheldon Rankins – Louisville 6’1″/303

Both guys are used at DE&DT

The search continues…

Bergs is pulling a NoFear.

With all the needs we have I wonder what strategy we will take this year. I like the idea of drafting the best play available in the first 3 rounds but in our case I think we have to throw that out the window this year. We have to address everything on offense and just about everything on D. I like the idea of going for a QB with the first pick but I also like the idea of going with the OLine first too. I am also afraid that Hyde might not be durable for the long haul and we haven’t seen enough of Davis to even make a judgment. Then there is the WR position. This is all Baalke’s baby. He really needs to be let go his overall draft record sucks and after so many years what would make anyone feel this year will be different.

If Goff is there, I’d take him an a heartbeat. Then worry about the O line. And CB. And ILB. And WR. The defense seems to be getting better as the season progresses. We haven’t been blown out recently anyway. But my concern is was and will be the O line. We need Hyde back and we need blockers. Draughn looks good as the backup.

The thing is. the Niners have a ton of picks and can do a lot with them. Here’s where they stand after the VD trade. We can package a bunch to move up, or trade down and get more, but I think they should get Goff should he be there. If not, trade down and get O linemen. The D line is fairly solid. As is safety. Another pass rusher would be nice. Armstead needs to make the jump to consistent contributor. Everything behind the D line has been inconsistent.

1. First round: Own pick
    2. Second round: Own pick
    3. Third round: Own pick
    4. Fourth round: Own pick
    5. Fourth round: Comp pick (Mike Iupati)
    6. Fifth round: Own pick
    7. Fifth round: San Diego Chargers (2015 draft-day trade)
    8. Fifth round: Comp pick (Perrish Cox)
    9. Sixth round: Dallas Cowboys (2015 draft-day trade)
    10. Sixth round: Denver Broncos (Vernon Davis trade)
    11. Sixth round: Comp pick (Dan Skuta)
    12. Sixth round: Comp pick (Frank Gore)

We need offensive help. Which is why I don’t want Baalke in charge of this draft.

• Winder says:

If we can get Goff then I also believe we should get him but I don’t think we’ll get the chance. Not with teams like Cleveland in our way. If the Rams continue to play like they have they just might pick him up.

We could trade up. to get him. Yeah, Gabbert is still relatively young, but I’d love to have a viable back up.

23. Berger says:

Goff opens his hips too quickly. I causes his left foot to fly out. I wouldn’t draft him without him showing that he knows he needs to clean that up. That is a MAJOR flaw. Subject to change but my 1st pick is ILB/Ragland/Alabama.

NJ- Fat man in the middle? Billings/Baylor.

Damn Berger?
      Was starting to think your picture was going to be plastered on milk cartons soon 😀

Yes, Billings from Baylor is on my list as well.

I also have ‘Bama DT A’Shawn Robinson 6’3″/312 inn my Car Man Watch List.

Check ILB Josh Forrest from KY out too.
      Converted WR who could probably do some TE work, aka Delanie Walker?

Kid is 6’3″/255
      Hard to believe he was a former WR at that size.
      Said to have excellent speed too.

Also, watch for OLB Deion Jones from LSU.
      He’s accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl but, he could be a worthy conversion candidate to ILB, as he’s only 6’1″/228.

I’m late. Windows 10 piece of crap has been on life support, somehow came back from the dead.

23-0

New thread is up.

Poor Buwwit has no one to play with in skeebers dank little corner of the Niner blogs.