Quiet Time

No franchise tags, no rumors about trading the head coach, none of our free agents have been retained. Not much happening this offseason, discounting of course the gutting of the coaching staff a while ago.

To those of us that have moved on, the building of the roster is paramount as of now. The first step in that direction was to sign Darnell Dockett. He of the AZ Cardinals. With RayMac banished to the NFL hinterlands (along with AP, Ray Rice, and Greg Hardy) as a pariah who is waiting for the heat to drop, and the possible (but less likely each day) retirement of Justin Smith, the Niners need to get some D line help. He’s a bit long in the tooth, and missed all last year with a torn ACL, but he had been a solid guy for 10 years with the Cards. He apparently passed a physical from the Mimers, so he should be good to go.

Other than that, once the 7th rolls around, the team will start getting serious about Gore, Cox, Skuta, and their crop of free agents.

45 Responses to Quiet Time

BLEEP IT! I’m stuck with the NBA and NL ball and oh yeah the crappy A’s. If I read one more Billy Beane article I’m going to puke. Sports people are just cheerleaders in this market. I hope I don’t get the skeebs!

Come on, Nip. The Giants are defending champs. Dubs are on a roll. Niners? Well we’ll see. We signed Jerome Simpson. A WR who missed all of last year due to drug issues.

• Alleykat says:

Gee that’s encouraging Chuck, sign another Reefer head, with a criminal past. Well Aldon will dig him though.
      Hope this dude is just a camp tryout filler..

I have no idea what is going on in Skeeber land but count me in as someone only interested in the roster building currently underway. Last years coaching staff is, well, so last year and completely irrelevant to me now.

Niners are all I care about, whatever previous coaches are doing elsewhere, frankly I don’t give a shit.

Free agency is almost upon us and I’m very interested to see who the Niners lose. I think Iupati, Crabtree, Culliver and Gore are gone. I hope J. Smith comes back for his final year.

According to today’s news Ray McDonald isn’t being charged with anything. His agent will be shopping him around.

oh and Manning has so much money he’s giving 4 million bucks back to the Broncos. Truth is stranger than fiction?

Another crazy deal from the Niner player standpoint. This time from Aldon Smith.

6. Berger says:

We signed potaholic Jerome Simpson. Remember this play:

7. Berger says:

NJ- Looks like New Jersey is on a roll.

U.S. to charge Democratic Senator Menendez of New Jersey with corruption: CNN

U.S. federal authorities are set to bring criminal charges against New Jersey Democratic Senator Robert Menendez, CNN reported on Friday.

Menendez allegedly used his Senate office to push the business interests of a Democratic donor and friend in exchange for gifts, CNN said.

A representative for Menendez could not immediately be reached for comment.

8. Berger says:

There will be some who think signing thrice arrested Simpson is inconsistent with Jed’s “winning with class”. Quite frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn. I wouldn’t have cut RayMac except the firestorm that brewed last year from the Rice and Peterson cases. I’d get a player out of prison on Sunday and take him back after the game as long as he could play if the fans didn’t have a cow about it, but that’s just me. Fans do have a cow about it and that is why, IMO, RayMac was cut. You’ve got to sell tickets.

No one really gives a shit, Bergs. Harbaugh just painted himself as a total hypocrite by giving Seattle shit for their ped busts and then chastising his brother over the Ray Rice thing. When he had the chance to do the prudent thing, he cried due process.

Look at baseball and steroids. The fans don’t care. The league doesn’t care. They just want it to LOOK like they give a fuck to the general public.

Yeah, the worst kept secrets in the NFL.

Berger now you know why I treat Politicians with the same disdain.
    Christie has nothing on The Mob, except executive privilege.

I’ve always treated my Vote as a voice for whom I ‘hire’ to represent me.
    How eff’n naive is that?

None of them work for me.
    They work for the guys that put them there, special interests with money.

Said it a million times over the years, it comes down to picking an idiot.

Christie manipulated the rules in such a way as to take these EPA related windfalls into nothing more than petty cash infusions.
    For his Administration to step into the Exxon Bayway matter, in the 11th hour, was a last ditch effort to cover for his mishandling of the State’s Budget.

He attempted to raid the State Pension Funds 1st, which fell short.
    Exxon was his Ace in the hold.
    10+ years of litigation, seeking nearly $9Bil in damages and, he thinks $250Mil is close enough?
    Just another example of how money influences the System.

We still have people in this State suffering through the damages created by Super Storm Sandy.
    When it comes to money, he’s as creative with his accounting practices as the The Mob was.
    You might call him a RINO.
    I call him a POS.

12th this is a good way to handle Aldon IMO.
    9ers paid him through his suspension last year.
    A little payback I’d say?

If he falters, he’s gone.
    Smart Contract decision, by both sides.

Like Kaep, Aldon is betting on himself to be successful.
    Nothing wrong with incentives, keeps a guy motivated.

Yeah I get the why of the deal NJ, what I didn’t see was that the team would of cut him.

Baalke is setting up his Draft priorities too.
    If he lands another starter on the WR side of the equation, it likely affords him an opportunity at another position in RD1.

I’m still not convinced that Pick 15 is a WR.
    BPA makes sense to me.
    OT/DT/DE would lessen the ‘Bust Rate’ for me.

Protect the QB/Sack the QB.

At least Baalke seems focused on the ‘Speed Factor’ improvements too.
      There are enough WRs in this Draft Class to find contributors beyond RD1 also.

Might find a good option or 2 into RD3 too.

Niners need a GOOD fast WR. Ted Ginn? Nah, but Torrey Smith fits the bill. If he is willing to spend that kind of coin, not something I see as the usual Baalke kind of signing. If he can’t do a deal with a top free agent WR before the draft then pick #1 should be used. Either way, this offense needs another dimension and has needed it since Owens. Kap is the best QB since Garcia and they are not able to use his talents without a playmaker WR. Possession guys aren’t enough and not Kap’s forte so far. The underneath game was Smith’s strength not Kap’s. Not to say he can’t do the checkdown bit but what is the point of replacing Smith with a guy less adept at checkdowns? Kap can hit the whole field so find the pieces that make it available to him. The rungame looks solid with or without Gore and Iupati. Dockett and A.Smith combined with Lynch and hopefully J.Smith is ferocious and the LB core of Willis, Borland and Bowman is as good as it gets if they are healed. Back 4 is unknown but 3 out of the 4 are good to very good and the nickel in Ward might be very good too.

If they buy a WR then draft a CB or DL with the first pick, if not then draft the WR with the first pick. My 2 cents.

Agree 12th.
        Need the speed factor, to make Kaep more effective on the deep stuff.
        Crabtree isn’t/wasn’t a threat there.

Jaelen Strong makes sense for me.
        Whether he’s worthy of Pick 15 is the question?

Nice ingredient with him is that he’s been working at EXOS with Kaep already.

Sort of a test-drive arrangement, that could pay dividends, come Draft Weekend.
        We won’t see Kevin White or Amari Cooper most likely but, Strong turned in very respectable 40s in Indy.

I’m going to keep the GA WR Chris Conley on my wish list too.
        He blew it up in Combine drills and, I’m a junkie for speed in this game.

Find him on the cheap and Coach him up perhaps?
        Ironically, his numbers, stacked against Kevin White, are damn near identical, both in College production and Combine drills.
        Except for the Vert, where Conley nearly jumped out of the Stadium.

Here’s the current ‘Work List’ I’ve got for the WRs –
    Subject to change but, as up-to-date as I have it right now –

WR – Slot / Z –
    Devin Smith – Ohio St – 6’1″/199
    Justin Hardy – E Car – 6’0″/188
    Tre McBride – W&M – 6’0″/210
    Tyler Lockett (WR) – KS State – 5’10″/182

WR – Outside / X –
    DeVante Parker – Louisville – 6’3″/211
    Jaelen Strong – ASU – 6’3″/215
    Breshad Perriman – UCF – 6’2″/212
    Chris Conley – UGA – 6’3″/213 (Kevin White-light?)
    Darren Waller – GA Tech – 6’6″/238 (TE?)

I’ve also got Nebraska WR Kenny Bell penciled in as a potential KR consideration.
      He’s a good sized kid with excellent numbers as a WR –

6’1″/197/4.42 40 –
      Almost 2700 REC YDs and 21 TDs

Spring forward

17. Berger says:

It’s funny that people just want to be negative about Jed. It was being postulated that he was too hands on and people were worried about him being like Snyder and Jerry Jones. So they bitched. Now it comes out that he doesn’t know anything about the Jerome Simpson signing. I think that is proof he isn’t being Jerry Jones. So what do the fans do, they bitch!

Jed makes his fair share of mistakes but his commitment to the team is obvious. He grew up with the Niners and it shows. I like the guy.

Teams who’s owners really do meddle: Dallas, Washington, Colts top my list. Jed is close to invisible compared to those clowns.

• Berger says:

I agree. I like Jed’s commitment too. I like his Eddie D “Super Bowl or bust” attitude. Harbaugh was given the best roster in football for 3 of his 4 years. He should have won a title. Hopefully Baalke can load the roster again and to put the same pressure on Tomsula. It was obvious we weren’t going to win a Super Bowl with Harbaugh when he couldn’t do it with the best roster in the league.

We are on the same page with Jed and Harbaugh Berger. Harbaugh had a fair crack at it with top of the league players. Got close but no cigar, and was backsliding when he left. Pity because I thought he was a good coach, right time, right place, came up short.

Jed did what he thought he needed to do, he is the owner, and a good one. Like you say, let’s hope Baalke can restock and the team makes another run.

Feels like an exercise in PR damage control if Gore leaves.

19. Berger says:

I’m 50/50 on Gore. I want him back because he is Frank Gore. He’ll always be one of my favorite Niners. We aren’t flush with cap space so spending it on a younger player could have longer term benefits. My heart says sign him, my head says let him go.

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. I’d love for him to stay, but it’d have to be a team-friendly deal. If he wants to break bank, then he’ll get money elsewhere.

The guy has paid his dues, reaped the rewards, and all with the Niners. It really is all up to him. All they need to do is offer him something decent but not outlandish.

Oh well. Like I said earlier, if he wants to stay he can. If he wants more money he can go. Thing is, he slipped badly in his blocking last year. I have no idea why.

New thread is up.