OK, Back to Football . . . Alice in Not-So-Wonderland

Enough about the seamy underbelly of the game we love so much. Pay no attention to the owner in the bathroom taking selfies of a BJ . . .

Anyhow, game one of the 2014 season was a rousing success. The Niners came out and scored on the 2nd play of the game when Dan Stuka stripped DeMarco Murray and Chris Culliver ran it in untouched for a TD. The first running play, a 20 yard scamper by Gore, came after 5 straight passes scored 2 TDs. The Niners scoring came to an end right before the end of the 2nd quarter on a nice 10 play drive culminated in a couple really nice runs by Carlos Hyde. The rest of the game seemed to be an exercise in the refs trying to get Dallas back into it.

Sure, it was the Alice Cowboys. But for all their shitty defense, they did manage to run up the gut seemingly at will on the Niner front 7. De Marco Murray had 118 yards, even though Dallas went away from the pass in the 2nd half. Tony Romo however, seemed hell-bent on throwing into traffic, and he had 3 picks in the 1st half. The pressure was uneven, and Dallas was able to rack up 408 total yards to the Niners 328. But the game was won on turnovers. Dallas’ 4 to the Niners 0. Dallas was never even close, and the game could have very easily been 35-10 had the refs not been so intent on getting Dallas a 3rd quarter TD.

Tell ya one thing, I’m sure glad the easy part of our schedule is early. We do have some things to work on. Namely run D. Even with RayMac playing, the run defense was not good at all. Plus, we lost 2 CBs in the 1st quarter (Brock with a toe injury, and Culliver with a concussion). Jimmie Ward also left the game with a head injury, but he (not the team yet) said he’s fine and didn’t suffer a concussion. The good news on that regard was the next men up (Dontae Johnson and Perrish Cox) both played very well. Cox with a pick, and Johnson with 2 passes defended. So, all in all, a great game that will hopefully silence the writers who seem to want this team to implode among all the reports once again of ‘vet discontent’ in the locker room over the rigorous training camp. Shit, that’s so last month.

Methinks the vet in question was just released anyway. Won’t say his name but his initials are LMJ. He cleared waivers, and as of now, no takers.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

98 Responses to OK, Back to Football . . . Alice in Not-So-Wonderland

BLEEP!

I see everyone is just dying to talk football . . .

I know our DB’s are in question, but I really wouldn’t want to be the Bears right now. I think this team is gonna take to their new digs like gangbusters. I look for a total stomping.

Last week was like a go with a sparring partner, and this week it’s a home game against an opponent who just lost to rhe Buffalo Bills, fer gawd’s sake. There’s nothing to really get excited about until the @AZ game in Week 3.

Yeah, I see another beat-down. But Chicago does have some killer WRs as Spitty noted earlier, and they have Matt Forte. We didn’t exactly play very good run defense last week. But we stopped looking run by the 3rd quarter, and Dallas took advantage of that in the 2nd half.

Trick is to do the same thing we did last week, and that was to get on them early and score points. I loved that we came out slinging the ball, but I see a different approach this game. Buffalo (!) ran all over Chicago. I see us able to do that as well. Then again, if we can get good matchups downfield, go for it.

It’ll be about the red zone. Loved the play action on FIRST down to get the 2 yard pass to VD.

That’s how you attack the end zone.

• Winder says:

Yeah, it would be nice to see us do that for four quarters once in awhile.

Hah! I will say, the refs were totally fucking ridiculous in the 2nd half, and the NFL is getting way overboard with the penalties. They have to just give up on fucking with pass plays. It’s to the point where DBs have no right to be within 2 yards of a WR.

Goodell’s in trouble. Proof is coming out the NFL had the tapes. I love it. Hang that son of a bitch. And when you do….. hang ’em high.

Regarding Sunday’s game, I look for Fangio to blitz Cutler a shit ton. Now for those of you scoring at home, “a shit on,” is somewhere between everything and a lot. Everything is obviously a lot. A lot is obviously a lot. So Fangio is going to blitz Cutler a lot. Early and often. Why? Because if we don’t get pressure on the qb, we’re screwed. Our DBs aren’t going to hang with Marshal and Jeffrey. I’d put a spy on Forte out of the backfield and have a plan for the blitz beater. But if we’re rushing four with Brooks (who I think is in the 49ers’ dog house), Justin Smith, the wife beater and Skuta or Lemonier, it’ll be a shoot-out, which I love. But to keep it from a shoot-out, Fangio will blitz ALL NIGHT LONG…. Sing it, Mr. Richie….. Sing it, Baby!!!!

“shit ton,” not “shit on”… which would suck.

A ton of shit is a lot but as long as Cutler is eating it, so be it.

I hope so, Spitty. THe pas rush was OK in the 1st half, but when we went conserve, it was nonexistent.

I think the answer in Dallas was the early lead and then sit on the pass Chuck.
    Let ’em run, waste time and go nowhere.

Our focus was taking away Dez and Witten, Promo did the rest.

Cutler can do the same thing when pressured.
    I agree, run an them, pressure Cutler aka Pick 6.

Unca– call me tomorrow, I’ll email you my cell if you don’t have it. Crazy breaking downlow news that I heard today. Totally legit, I’d bet my life on the guy who gave me this info.

I think both Marshall and Ashley(sp) are dinged up, so we should get a steady diet of #22.

Alson? Did’t hear that.

• Winder says:

Yeah, I mean’t alshon Jeffrey. Either a quad or a Hammy i think I got him listed as questionable on a few of my teams

“NFL hires independent investigator in Ray Rice Case”.
    Roger is gonna hide behind another smokescreen.
    Video? What video?

You can’t make this sh!t up.

I lost respect for Steve Young this week. Young tried to take the highroad. He knew the sentiment from 49er fans was the 49ers sit Ray McDonald, but really, when are the masses right? Together, collectively, people are stupid. Ray McDonald said, “The truth will come out,” and now McDonald’s mother is eluding to some secret that needs to be told. I, personally, stand by what I wrote last week: The 49ers did a quick and thorough investigation of their own and deemed this not a chargeable crime, much less a convictable incident. I lose respect for Young because he was almost like a politician, playing the polls. In addition to trying to take the obvious highroad, you’d think Young would have an insider at least on his own team – someone who said, “Steve, McDonald’s not guilty of this and most in the 49er family know it. That’s why he’s starting.”

If something big does come out, Harbaugh’s certainly exonerated. Harbaugh was talking about people who actually committed the crime of domestic violence, not people who were charged of the crime. All those ridiculous scenarios NoFear was throwing around last week certainly now ring true.

Roger Goodell is scum. The NFL owners collectively are scum. Goodell definitely, in my opinion, covered this up. To think he was just too busy doing ALS challenges to thoroughly review a tape that was sent a few months ago is a lie. It’s not negligence. It’s a lie. A lot of people like Keith Olbermann are couching the debate like “If he didn’t know, he should have.” BS… how ’bout “He knew and covered it up?” Why not go there? First of all, if you were the commissioner and this hit your desk, wouldn’t you want to see, just out of morbid curiosity, everything that happened? A while ago we saw Rice dragging his girlfriend through a lobby in Atlantic City. As fans and television viewers we take for granted that editors will cut things out and we won’t get the entire show. But if you’re in a position of power, it’s exactly the kind of thing you do – request the un-edited copy and see everything. I’m 100% positive Goodell saw everything and covered it up. He covered it up because Ray Rice is a valuable asset to the Ravens, and the NFL already has an image problem with violence in communities all over the US…. and God forbid people start making connections to that violence and CTE. Goodell knew, and because the NFL has a number of different PR problems right now on it’s plate, Goodell is gone. Mark my words. Goodell have overnight become the face of both CTE and domestic violence, and the owners are going to need a fresh face to sell their band. I promise you. The NFL owners are doing a private investigation but that’s only to buy time. The owners know the commissioner covered this up. They just need to buy time to find his replacement, and they need to buy time to figure out what to do with Ray Rice. Personally, I think Ray Rice will receive a one year ban and be playing football next year provided he shows proof he’s been thorough extensive therapy.

And York? Like Harbaugh, Jed is exonerated for starting McDonald only if there does prove to be some big story that makes McDonald innocent. But York is still a coward for hiding behind Harbaugh for the first week of the Ray McDonald story. When your company or business is faced with a potentially debilitating issue like domestic violence, like Ray Ratto said, you don’t hide behind your head coach and let him take the heat. But little Jeddy would rather be flying to Disneyland on the family Jet getting into Twitter wars with Grant Cohn over “he said, she saids.” We have a pathetic owner. That’s for sure. Jed York is a fuckin’ coward and a spineless owner. And Unca Chuck wants the 49ers to lead the way? Good luck with that. And good luck with the NFL ever being some bastion of good will or some place where justice is upheld above all else. The NFL is anything but a place for justice. The Ray Rice and Ray McDonald cases, in different ways, proved that. The NFL is a place for freakish athletes slobberknocking the slobber out of each other. And that’s it. Oh, and it’s a place for wealthy white men to behave poorly. And you guys wonder why I love the players’ union.

After all the furor raised by,and around Ray Rice, what Team would touch him again?
    He’s a leper now in terms of negative publicity.

This was a failed attempt at damage control.
      Deny, deny, deny.
      Video leak killed Rogers’ effort to hide the dirty laundry.

So, talking about domestic violence is a suspendable offense, but being investigated for it isn’t?

• Spitblood says:

I guess it’s how you talk about it. I agree with both Robinson and Steven A Smith (or whatever his name is) that women have a role, play a part and should take some responsibility. But right now isn’t the smart time, clearly, to be expressing that view. I don’t like Robinson anyway. He’s one of those doucheknuckles who never played a sport in his life.

Wow, talk about missing the mark.

The New Jersey cops say they sent the video to the NFL in June.

Are you kidding? Rice will be back in the NFL next year, if not by week 7 (the imaginary 6 game suspension that Jolly Roger just ignored).

He’ll be contrite, say all the right things, and will be good to go.

Robinson called Janay Rice, the victim who nearly got her head caved in, “pathetic”. For marrying batterer Rice afterwards. You can read all the stuff out there on battered women on why this kind of thing is predictable, and the reasons why women stay with batterers. Fear, guilt, money — it’s all in the mix. Robinson could have spent 5 minutes looking at that stuff, instead of sipping more Chard with Jed or McEnroe or at Stanford alum soirees or whatever he’s doing on his off time. But, no — so he said something totally ignorant about the real world of battered women. A vacay for two weeks isn’t the worst thing for him, so that the Niners PR meter spikes back upwards a bit. Niner broadcasts now with Fitz? Ugh…

Alright Football talk not about Rice and Domestic violence.

We have talked about this before, but when a retired 49er talks about it well it just strenghtens our opinions. Brent Jones was on T Tolbert show Monday or Tuesday and he called out Harbaugh for not putting the game away by making it 45 – 10 score. Jones confirmed what we have all said Walsh would have crushed Dallas instead of letting them get close in the score. I have always felt that Harbaugh was weak in doing a complete beat down of a team. Some day it is going to come back and bite him in the ass.

The refs had more to do with the shitty outcome than Dallas. I didn’t like the vanilla defense we went in to in the 4th, but the refs gave that entire 3rd quarter drive to Dallas. The Niners stopped them 3 times on 3rd down, and all (including 3rd and 21 from Dallas’ 17) were negated by bullshit calls. and they took away a potential TD drive of the Niners with the ridiculous PI call on Lloyd on the 35 yard pass to VD. Right there are 2 big scoring opportunities taken away by the refs.

No great loss, but this game is national so I wouldn’t hear him anyway. Fitz? Brutal.

Culliver and Brock missed practice yesterday with their concussion and toe injury respectively. Ward has been cleared to play.

On the Bears side, both Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffries missed practice. Bad hammy and ankle . . .

It’s probably been covered here, but Panthers keep playing Greg Hardy, and he was convicted in July on assault of his ex-GF. Convicted. Now on appeal. Still playing. And the Panthers owner Richardson cried when he got an AWARD last night — the Echo Award Against Indifference. WTF?…

Not really, but what the hell is the Echo Award Against Indifference? Indifference to procrastination?

Irish Kevin brought up something interesting that I’ve been wondering about considering my fantasy football team this year is made-up of five 49ers (soon-to-be four because Dawson’s on a short leash), but the issue is Harbaugh and Roman not putting away teams earlier by running up the score. I disagree with Chuck that the penalty in the Dallas game wiped-out the chance for the 49ers to go up 45-0. I think we could have dominated either way- penalty or not. But I think Jim Harbaugh simply takes the air out of the football with Frank Gore. I know what Brent Jones is saying, and I agree, but I think Harbaugh looks at it like, “I can accomplish the same thing with a 28-14 win running Frank Gore and taking the air out of the football.” As far as I know, we’ve never lost a game when Harbaugh sat on a lead. We almost lost the Patriots game two years ago, but that’s all I can remember. My hope is Harbaugh starting running up the score a little more so my fantasy football team gets more points…. because isn’t that really all that matters?

So, you think if the Niners got the 4th down when Dallas was at the 17, we would have had a decent shot at scoring? Same with the PI on Lloyd. We woulda been at their 30.

Give ’em 10 and take away the TD and you have 38-10.

• Spitblood says:

I think we could have done whatever we wanted to all game long against Dallas. I think we could have crushed Dallas. I think Dallas is a minor league team. I think Jim Harbaugh intentionally shut it down for fear of getting guys hurt. Actually, I don’t know why he does it, but he does it.

I was more pissed at the defense going soft. Giving Rom,o all that underneath shit gets old fast. Keep knocking him on his ass. Fuck the lay-back shit.

• Spitblood says:

But that’s what Harbaugh does. He takes the air out of the football, running Gore and playing back. It works. It drives me nutz, but it works.

27. I don’t know which is the biggest farce: Roger Goodell, what’s become of the NFL during his time as Commissioner, the way he and the league have handled the domestic violence issue and the continued pussification of this once great game. Or? OR? O R ? The fact that Chuck is a 5 pt. favorite in our FF matchup this week?

Travesties the both of ’em. Complete and utter travesties I tell ya.

• Spitblood says:

I’ll give you a bigger farce… some people on this blog ( I don’t know who) blaming Jim Harbaugh for the 49ers’ decision to start McDonald. But I like it. You saw a shot and you took it. Didn’t work, but well played….

Hah! Least I didn’t run and hide like Spitty did. Wimp.

Andrew Von Ryan’s express is going to crush Peyton’s pansies.

I gotta say, I love this blog, u guys definitely make me laugh. However, Harbs is way to conservative when it comes to the juggler. i say use it before you lose it.

• Spitblood says:

I give myself the opposite advice. I say lose it before you use it. If I used it the whole country would be in jeopardy. It’s a matter of nation security. For the good of the people.

Matt Maiocco floats some crappy ideas from time to time – one is we can’t run screens because our O line isn’t athletic enough. What a crock. But the BS line from Maiocco lately is the 49ers don’t run the score up like we did under Walsh because the 49ers can now only active so many players. But maybe Maiocco isn’t full of horse pudding. Maybe the NFL owners collectively agreed to lower the number of active players so teams couldn’t blow each other out and then put in the backups. Sure would make Vegas happy.

I never could figure out what good inactivating 6 guys a game would do. All it does is expose your more valuable players to injury. As does all these Thursday night games. We were running out of CBs last weekend, and Chris Cook was inactive. Dumb.

Jolly Roger and the Raging Queen . . .

That’s what I always say. When attacked by clowns, go for the juggler . . .

(That’s POTD GOLD, baby. But I’d never elect myself)

Roger Goodell’s days are numbered! I love it. He’s finished. This brings part of Mark Cuban’s prophetic words to reality – Pigs get fat, hogs (44 million last year) get slaughtered. I love it.

Mark my words: Goodell is done.

Harbaugh taking “the air out of the ball” with a lead — how does that stop injury? If the offense goes three and out a lot, then the defense is on the field a ton more than if the offense were sustaining drives and putting points on the board. Do we want the defense to get pooped and get hurt?…

I think its Harbaughs nature, near enough every game under him is some kind of grinder. Very rare its a stomping. 1 score lead? perfect.

Where are the insults? You guys are getting soft…….just like on Flavor’s blog where the good cheer is hot and heavy. Guys like each other so much it’s killing them.

Yeah., saw that last night. Good stuff.

Goodbye, don’t let the door hit you on the ass. Goodell was never a friend to the 49ers so he can go fuck himself.

Yeah, was it the deal with Suggs? Where we lost 2 draft picks for walking by a phone? When the fucking Jets did worse the year before AND after? Yup. Fuck Jolly Roger Goodie Goodell and the horse he rode in on.

• Winder says:

It was not only that, remember all the bullshit about stadium financing all the while issuing out promises and money elsewhere. It’s like we are the red headed stepchild with nothing coming.

• NoFear49er says:

Concur. He’s never been a friend of the Niners or even decent to them. Although I hate to see anyone railroaded in a whirlwind of PC bullshit and phony outrage, I’ve never liked Goodell nor his methods and favoritism.

I don’t mind seeing him squirm and it is entertaining and maybe a little karma. I don’t think enough of the owners are of a mind to fire him though. He started a big credibility slide with the burning of the evidence in the Patriots scandal. Owners think, more money keeps rolling in so what the hell, let him run the show until somethign changes that.

• Spitblood says:

Goodell’s done because he’s marginalized himself (and yes, Del, one can marginalize himself). He needs to be the face and sell stuff and handle PR. If something else touchy comes up, he won’t be able to convince anyone of anything. The public be thinking of Ray Rice instead of whatever Goodell’s selling. If nobody likes or respects Goodell, or his message or narrative is compromised, the brand suffers. Owners know this.

And if the guy covered up the Ray Rice incident, it’s a whirlwind he created.

Nofear – I don’t like witch hunts either. But the NFL has steeped itself into the moral highroad and has no one to blame but themselves. I agree about the owners and profits that have been shared, they are not going to let that go until the cause is lost. I imagine the pockets of owners where Goodell resides is still in play.

38. So now you can’t bend your child over your knee and whack ’em with a switch?

39. It’s OK to abuse women and children off the field, but don’t you dare hit a grown man too hard on the football field. That’s a 15 yd personal foul penalty.

This league is a fucking joke. I turned off last night’s game after those two ridiculous PF penalties were assessed on the Steelers’ D that allowed Baltimore to continue their drive that lead to a TD. It’s only a matter of time before I elect to turn it on.

• Spitblood says:

There’s no justice in the NFL. If you want justice, you’ll need to look to nature. Nature has the only just response. There’s no spite, no agenda, no anger, no bribes in nature. And this, Del, is why you love the ducks. And it ain’t a bad reason, partner.

I just want to confirm, once again, my greatness. What did I tell you chuckleheads this offseason about 49er rbs and the draft? I was the first one to tell you chowder brains that the 49ers could use a high pick, even a first round pick, on a running back. But I also told you doucheknuckles the 49ers should draft TWO running backs. My assessment of our then current backfield was LMJ was too small to protect the football. I wrote that Lattimore may never play the game again, and that him playing after only 18 months wasn’t likely. I said the 49ers should draft two running backs in 2014 – Jeremy Hill in the 3rd and Devonta Freeman in the 5th. I’m the fuckin’ greatest. I was right. Now, after LMJ gets dumped for insubordination unbecoming to a kick returner, we’re too thin at running back.

I was right about all that shit. I need some kind of trophy for my greatness… or medal. Bow to me.

• Winder says:

Seriously, U Da Man.

• Spitblood says:

I fuckin’ know it, man. I know it.

Who was the guy that said Jon Baldwin was gonna be good, was that you Spitty?

• Spitblood says:

I liked Baldwin better than AJ Jenkins and Richardo Lockette. He is stronger than Jenkins and more athletic than Lockette. Problem is Baldwin just has a ten cent head. It didn’t help any that last year’s offensive playbook was too complex. He might be working at Burger King now.

High hopes for Trey Millard, Rocket J Squirrel?

• Spitblood says:

Oh, that reminds me…. I also said we should draft another FB… but I wanted LSU’s JC Copeland who went undrafted to the Bengals. Instead we got Millard, which again underscores my geneous. And yes, I do have high hopes for Millard. I’m not a big Bruce Miller fan. Miller can no doubt block, but after that he’s limited. One of the great NFL truisms is John Madden’s saying, “The more things you can do.” Millard can catch and run with the football.

And Chuck, you’re making blog host progress. You’re maturing. A year ago you’d have said…. “No you didn’t.” Now you’re acknowledging things but claiming blind luck. That’s some serious progress. With that attitude you might even get some more people looking to blog here….. then it’ll suck.

Good, bad, or indifferent, the big fat black cloud around Jolly Roger is enough to get him ousted. In a league (and a dynasty he built) based on perception, not reality, he’ll be no-confidenced in short order, and another puppet, uh mouthpiece, uhhhhh commissioner will be installed.

I’m 152 point favorites in FF this week. Can I just do it like Deal Or No Deal and take an offer from the banker now?

Youn drafted Cutler?

Really early on when I was still trying to figure out the mechanics of the draft (which I figured out by about Round 20).. Good point, though I’m stuck for QBs with Carson’s injury unless I cut a good position player for a 5th QB so I can bench Cutler. Nah, I’ll stick with Cutler and root against him.

I guess the difference between A Peterson and McDonald is that AP allegedly beat /switched the heck out of a 4 year old, whereas McDonald was busted for hands on an adult. The AP case seems borderline from what little evidence online I’ve seen of it so far, but apparently the NFL morality police will “get tough” and draw the line at beating on children — what a concept…

So was Bruce Jenner.