Death Trap?

One week into the new stadium, and we’ve had a (possibly heat-related) death, and the removal of 2/3 of the sod today. Stevie Wonder was slammed to the turf by a wayward piece of loose turf, after a few earlier incidents, so Jimbo pulled the team off the field and promptly called it unplayable. We are assured the field will be ready for Sunday’s game. But seeing as they had all summer to get the field in pristine shape, it’s not a good look to deem the field unplayable after one soccer game, and one football game.

This of course was after an unnamed fan passed out in the heat, and summarily passed away despite attempts to revive him. No word was available about the health condition of the man, but I’ll tell you, sitting in the lower level of the stadium WAS very hot. Hotter than any Niner game I’ve attended, and I’ve been to a few hundred. Another aspect of the stadium which I mentioned earlier is the lack of shade anywhere in the seating areas. Irish Kevin did manage to score such a seat, so he’s sitting pretty in the 2nd deck, under the 3rd deck.

I just thought people were fed up with the game. Apparently they were getting crazy from the heat.

Anyhow, I posed a page with pics of the new place.

66 Responses to Death Trap?

Candlestick’s Revenge

And that, Chuck, is my first ever POTD.

Haah! You haven’t had one?

Great ……go to a meaningless football game and die!

5. Who needs a playable field when you have solar panels, a green roof, 1,500 Wi-Fi access points, 180 different menu items including at least 1 vegan option, 15 types of wines, a FF lounge and a museum among numerous other shiny new bells and whistles? A suitable and playable grass field after only one football game is a minor detail.

Incompetent fucking mooks. I don’t care what promises they’ve made to high school teams, soccer teams, music concerts and every other Tom, Dick and Harry to use their field. Until they get shit together and that field up to snuff, it’s for 49ER GAMES ONLY. Everyone else…

The heat problem is something that really highlights the incompetence here. I saw a ton of 49er fans wearing shirts under their jerseys and they can be forgiven for not knowing, they were basing their attire off their past experiences.
    But if the fucking team, who is there everyday, doesn’t pick up on the fact that the stadium is baking in sun all afternoon long, then this is just totally on them.
    You fucking spent a bil+ on this. Put some fucking misting stations all over the stadium. Don’t want to pay for the water? Put AC’s under each seat. Sure, it will just waft away but if you want to keep your fans happy (and alive) you do it.
    Or come up with something else. But come up with something. It was just inexcusable to leave those fans baking in the hot sun, that they fucking KNEW about, without some cooling plan. Not everything can be solved with a fucking app.

Finally….. I was beginning to fell like Rodney Dangerfield around here. I’ve been tellin’ you guys all along – Jed York and the front office are a bunch of retards. And I don’t use the term lightly because I know how sensitive 12th is to the term because his identical twin brother is retarded. This organization is run by morons. The only guy with a clue is Jim Harbaugh – and his coaching staff that follows and is loyal to Jim Harbaugh. This is the exact same cast of characters in the front office when Mike Singletary was here and the team was 6-10. Jim Harbaugh gets the funding, but Jed can’t get the temps correct. And Colonel Jessip will tell you, his intense competence, while grotesque to you, “probably saves lives.” Jed York? He’s drunk on a plane, getting into Twitter wars with Grant Cohn. But 12th and NJ can’t handle the truth, and Unca bends with the breeze.

Stadium that kills people, GM that negotiates with holdouts, wastes picks on injured players and leaves the team dreadfully thin at various positions while taking flyers on guys like Aaron Lynch? Now the grass is jacked up and Jim Harbaugh is resentful of Jed York and the organization for exploiting his success. I’m telling you guys, we might as well have Obama running the 49ers…. and Eric Holder as our GM. It’s that bad.

Some guy dies and its a “killer stadium”? York was drunk on a plane in that video clip with his family? Really? The coaches are loyal to the head coach who hired them! Jim Harbaugh funded Levi Stadium, what a guy! GM’s negotiate with holdouts, what is the world coming to??? The grass didn’t grow properly, fire the GM! The last 2 drafts have produced 21 players that almost certainly make the team, NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

Torches and pitchforks time people, follow the Spitwad off the cliff, Leming stylie.

Spitty, you are becoming a parody even of yourself if such a thing is possible, you are the National Enquirer of blogging, i just need a few alien references and we are golden.

Oh please. I put sunscreen
    on, and it was fine. It’ll be hot for a couple games a year.

Join Dennis on the ledge, Spitty.

The rubber paddy wagon is coming for you, Spitty . . .

My condolences to the dead man, but otherwise Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. I’m from there, in fact it’s a little warmer a few miles south where I grew up, farther away from the Bay.
    It gets hot there in the summer. No scheist. Practice by spending a couple days at Great America so you can learn how to dress properly and to wear a cap.
    You see, I’ve never forgotten the first time I went with my Dad and my older brothers up to The City By The Bay. In the middle of summer. Dressed in shorts and a T-shirt.
    Mark Twain had it right.

Besides which, come October, November, December and January, if it’s not raining you’ll be singing the praises of that weather.
    I personally will miss seeing Candlestick football. Because on TV all the diehards dressed in fur coats for a day game with everything blowing all over the place made for fun viewing.

What petty, irrelevant things can we argue about today? Harbaugh? Jed York? Frank Gore? Alex Boone? Trent Baalke? Blaine Gabbert?

I’ll tell you one thing: The way Blaine Gabbert is throwing the football, and the way Brandon Lloyd is playing, we might carry 3 qbs and 6 receivers. That’ll leave us really thin someplace else. And we’re already banged up, thin or inexperienced at DL, linebacker, secondary, O line and running back. Interesting decisions and petty arguments.

^ wides I can see, highly doubt 3 QB. Harbs will look around on cut down day if Gabbert hasn’t shown much by then.

• Spitblood says:

Gabbert’s 2 million guaranteed makes it doubtful, but if he can’t win you need other options. I think he needs a few years under Harbaugh. Maybe a few lifetimes.

$2m is a high price to pay for failure but cheap if it means they gain a viable back up QB for game day. It’s a tough pill to swallow but not big enough to choke on IMO.

I haven’t written off Gabbert just yet but he sure as shit needs to show something more and real soon.

• Spitblood says:

Hey look! We agree on something. Stop the presses!

6 wides

Frankly I’m baffled that people didn’t take into account that it’s hotter in the south bay than in SF. Like 20-30 degrees in some cases.

I mean, it was pretty hot in there, but to think you’d come to SJ and think it’s going to be like going to the Stick is nuts.

What happens if the A’s move down there? They get a dome because it’s too warm in the summer?

Think it gets hot in Florida? So Cal? People should try a USC game down here some time. Somehow Nor Cal peeps are to be coddled on a hot day and the Stadium should know this and prevent it? It goes from the sublime to the ridiculous, these faux arguments are a joke and Spitty is the comedian.

Lets see Gabbert or the tough turf……..which is the biggest bust?

I’d say Gabbert. The grass has a shot to grow . . .

One liner Friday here already?

Boone is still a dumbass for thinking holding the teams’ fortunes hostage is a good way to thank them for taking a chance on him when no one else was willing to and helping him become a good player.

York is still a dumbass for thinking he can get away with killing off good fans in the sun.

Harbaugh is still a dumbass for teaching Boone how to act like a dumbass with his contract.

Baalke is a dumbass to associate his name with the likes of the above dumbasses.

Looking forward to team dumbass taking the field Sunday if they have grass on it by then.

Nice shots of the stadium, Chuck.

I wish they would have used some that sign board space for a ring of honor of sorts.

Thanks.

I’m sure they’ll do something eventually. But there is the museum there. Haven’t seen it yet.

Car@NE looks to be a good matchup tonight. Chi@Sea not so much but I’ll watch for the scouting. From what I’ve seen so far this week, teams are beginning to take these games seriously.

In last nights Pitt-Phil game, the Eagles kicked…the…Steelers…ass. Foles was on target, and Kelly’s playbook with its misdirection plays and plays to every part of the field had the LeBeau D spinning around in circles not knowing what was happening.

Instead of laughing about it being a preseason game, the Steelers left Big Ben in well into the 3rd qtr., until he finally got a TD pass against the Eagle 2nd team D. Their first team D was going through the Steelers O-line like the Germans through France in 1940. When Ben did scramble to throw, he threw one awful pick and another shoulda been.

That game vs. Philly next month is gonna be tough. Philly definitely had an edge on last night.

Pittsburgh is foolish to risk Worthlessberger’s well-being like that. He’s coming off a couple seasons worth of bumps and bruises bad ankles and busted ribs.

Philly is as good as their defense allows. They are getting pretty formidable on the offensive side though.

• rtfirefly says:

Lost DeSean, got Sproles. Macklin went down hard for no apparent reason at one point and it looked bad, real bad, like he’d just ripped up his ACL again. But he came back and caught 5 more passes.

No ifs, ands, or buts, the Eagles can score points in a hurry and in bunches. Surprisingly, though, they score with extended drives. No huddle, multiple wideouts, truly the anti-Harbaugh offense.

• rtfirefly says:

I’ve always wanted Sproles. When SD idiotically let him leave without a whimper, I was screaming on these blogs for the Niners to get him. When he left NO I wanted him but I’d given up hope. Can’t blitz pickup or something, I don’t know wtf. His offenses have been top-rate, and he’s a great role playing reason for that.

• I’ve always liked Sproles as well, but the Niners would have misused his talents just the same as they’ve done with LMJ. Spread ’em out and use him as a pass-catching threat out of the backfield in a hurry-up offense. Just like Chip Kelly did with him at Oregon. LaMichael would be a great fit with Brees and the Saints utilizing Sean Payton’s offense on that fast carpet inside the dome.

OTOH, the Giants look like they haven’t started training camp yet. That road game looks like a bye week atm.

23. Surprised somewhat we haven’t got word on Aldon’s suspension yet. But I’m pretty sure I know the reason why — the NFL is trying to put as much distance between his expected 4+ gms penalty and Ray Rice’s paltry slap on the wrist 2-game suspension for beating the shit out of his wife. And not that I give a shit, because he deserves what he’s got coming, but the league is also delaying the Josh Gordon penalty for the very same reason. And if the league throws the book at him and gives him the full year suspension, it’s not just 16 games, it’s a full 365 calendar days from the verdict. They’re really screwing Josh and the Browns trying to cover their ass by not throwing the book at Ike Turner.

Hey Chuck, you have any opinion if the new digs are louder acoustically than the Stick?

Lets try yellow dried out turf. You know the type of stuff you get when they shut off your water.

Hard to say about the sound as there was little to cheer about, and it was empty by the half.

Dennis, there’s no distancing Goodell from the Ray Rice bullshit.

I’m damned glad we don’t play the Hawks for three months. Watching them tonight, they were the same steamroller I saw last week. I don’t think preseason has anything to do with it. They’re ready right now.
    We have two more practice games and we’d better start showing some of last year’s fire real soon.

Practice? We’re talking about Practice! Definition of “Sucker” is a person who pays for an NFL practice game. A “Fool” is one who pays for parking for same game. A “Loon” is someone that will do everything again.

For once, I agreee with Nipper.

31. So Nipper thinks the world is full of fools, loons and suckers. Does paying $8.49 for a 6-PK of Dos Equis just so one can feel like he’s The Most Interesting Man in the World qualify?

Lots of teams going a long time w their starting QBs this week. Lucks getting pounded by NO and they let him stay in all through it. I’d just like to see a TD or 2.

Bradford hurt his surgically repaired knee vs the brownzeills. Tests forthcoming. Don’t look good for the rams.

Shaun Hill, come on down. Rams are reporting no structural damage and they dodged a bullet.

POTD! Awesome, Chuck! I just now noticed. There’s a first time for everything I guess.

Congrats . . .