Jimmie James and the Blue Flames

The 49ers are at least getting their newly drafted players into the fold. 8 of the 12 draft picks, including 1st rounder Jimmie Ward, have signed.  Which means in the least that there will be a lot of fighting for roster spots. Sure, most of the available spots are for 2nd-3rd string, or special teams, but still, competition makes the team grow stronger. Hopefully.

Granted, Jimmie Ward has a golden ticket to the slot/nickel CB spot, much like Eric Reid last year being handed the keys to the free safety position. One can hope the transition is as seamless for Jimmie as it was for Eric. Other than that, Bethea takes over for Whitner, Ellington takes over for the remarkably-still-on-the-team-but-not-for-long LMJ (who showed up for OTAs today), Marcus Martin joins the battle for the center position with Looney and Kilgore Trout, Brtandon Thomas looks to replace Mike Iupati, and Carlos Hyde becomes the possible heir-apparent to Frank Gore. Marcus Lattimore may have something to say about that, though.

The rest, and the UDFAs, are scrambling for precious few spots. We’ll likely revamp the taxi squad as well. Harbaugh (or someone) said that the team will more than likely only carry 2 QBs on the roster. Which makes the fight between Beth-el, Gabbert, and Josh Johnson a fight to the death. UDFA Kory QB Falkner will more than likely go to the PS.

The one position I really thought they’d look to upgrade is WR. Although Ellington is a speed-burner, his value for now is as a kick/punt returner. He’d come in to the WR battle as 5th on the depth chart behind Boldin, Crabs, Stevie Wonder, and Quinton Patton. Oh, yeah, and Brandon Lloyd. Although I think the fight for the #3 WR will rub out one of either Johnson or Lloyd. Maybe he can pass QP and be the deep threat we so desperately need.

Other than that, it’s backup LB, backup CB and backup DE spots being determined. Let the fun begin . . .

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

87 Responses to Jimmie James and the Blue Flames

BLEEP!

Speaking of Jimmie James . . .

Brandon Lloyd has absolutely no chance of making this squad. None. But I’m hoping Jon Baldwin somehow makes the squad. Maybe with 2 qbs they carry an additional wide receiver this year? One can only hope. And don’t tell me we’ll keep more RBs. LMJ is gone. Boobie is gone, and Jewel Hampton has about as much of a chance to make the team as Oprah.

Running backs will be Hyde, Hunter, Lattimore and Gore.
    Fullbacks will be Miller, with Millard either being PUP’d or on the practice squad at first. But I’m hoping he beats out Miller. Depends on where he’s at with his rehab.

Jewell and LMJ are as good as gone. And yeah, with Stevie Wonder here I don’t think Lloyd makes the grade. He certainly isn’t getting QP’s spot.

Gotta love Kawakami trying to piss off Harbaugh. What a little bitch Tim is. But Harbaugh’s comments last year re Seattle’s PED deal certainly have come back to bite him squarely in the ass. Tim of course had to shove it down Harbaugh’s throat.

For people in the know, Tim Kawakami looks like an idiot after his recent Harbaugh ambush. It’s been widely implied that Aldon Smith in an alcoholic. It’s hard to label people in their twenties alcoholics or people in their forties and fifties “alcoholics” for that matter, but Aldon fits the bill. One DUI after his rookie year in Florida, another incident where he hit a tree, tried to change the license plates, and now there’s rumors he was drinking in the airport….. If he is an alcoholic, Kawakami looks really stupid because “it’s a disease,” and should be treated like one. Would you cut a player who had cancer, or subject him to the same standard of “beyond reproach?” Of course you wouldn’t. Problem is, society, and right now Kamikaze Tim, don’t always look at alcoholism as a disease. They look at alcoholism as a moral failing. This a common mistake. That’s exactly the way Kamikazei is looking at this Aldon Smith situation, and Kawakami is a flat-out POS for attacking Harbaugh in this way because Harbaugh can’t really defend Aldon Smith by saying, “You can’t compare Aldon to the Seahawks because alcoholism is a disease.” That gets into Aldon’s personal life. Harbaugh said the only thing he could – “We have some things to work on.”

The moral failing isn’t the disease of alcoholism. The moral failing is the Seattle Seahawks cheating to win a Super Bowl, something the NFL increasingly shows they don’t care much about. Spygate? PED scandal? Not a big deal. This is the moral failing at the team and league-level Kawakami should be concerned about – not attacking the team he covers, trying and make a name for himself. There is no comparison or connection between Aldon Smith and the Seattle Seahawks. Now Chris Culliver? That’s a different story, and that’s where Kamikaze Tim should have floated his Chrysanthemum.

7. If alcoholism truly is a disease, then somebody better call me a doctor.
    I have to be the sickest person in the world.

• Spitblood says:

Read two books, Del – It Will Never Happen to Me, and Love First. Both are informative books on the disease of alcoholism. They might change your life.

• Haven’t read either of those, but I have read Terry. It’s the story of George McGovern’s daughter’s life-and-death struggle with alcoholism written by the former senator himself. It didn’t change my life, but it evoked a sense of pathos that had me and every Greek since Socrates was born crying in their beer. Just a truly sad and tragic story.

• I found the book. I’ll read you the personal inscription on the inside cover.

7/12/96

Dear Dennis,

Dear — Hope this brightens the path to your personal liberation.

Love you,

Robin

That girl truly cared and tried. But here we are nearly 18 years later and I’m typing this in between sips of my screwdriver. Maybe if I stumble out of a bar and into a snowbank, pass out and freeze to death like Terry someone will write a book about me.

• Spitblood says:

Those two books I referenced aren’t stories. They’re more psychology. Alcoholism’s interesting in that it’s a disease that affects the physical, but it’s driven by the brain. If you can unlock the quilt and the sadness, which I’ve done, you can free yourself from the disease. I didn’t start out in search of a cure for myself. I started out just trying to understand the disease better. What I found was a cure – and really, those two books were the foundation. But nobody did that for me. And Del, I’m not trying to do if for you either, partner.

We’ll have the best RB combination in the league. If Lattimore’s knee holds up, we may just end up having one of the best ever.
    I believe Alcoholism is a disease too, I come from a long line of people who drank like fishes. All of them hard working and good people who used the stuff for whatever reason, I am not sure. I am just glad that the DUI laws were more lenient during those years otherwise I would have a lot of ex-convict family members. I was the only one that got really stupid , I never got a DUI but ran into trees, fences, mailboxes, and lots of parked cars. That was during my 20’s, it took me till my mid-thirty’s to figure out this wasn’t working. Now when I have a glass of wine that’s just what I have 1 glass.
    Anyway, back to football. I think this years draft has made us much stronger, and I think if our coaching staff prepares better we should be right in the mix again. It would be nice to see us take over a game in the first quarter and then keep plunging in the knife.

• Spitblood says:

Nice post, Winder. Lattimore, Hunter and Hyde could be awesome in the years to come. I’m hoping Millard beats out Miller and we have an actual FB running option. That could be an amazing backfield if it all comes together and develops well.

We get our backfield going and watch-out play action…. and watch-out passing attack now that Kaep has a year under his belt. I look for the 49ers to start putting teams away early, and demoralize teams so they quit. If we can do that, creating easier wins, we’ll stay on top longer.

My favorite DUI story was getting pulled over by a female cop with tons of drugs in my system, a 12 pack in the seat next to me. When I pulled over, I pulled up onto the curb….It was a little awkward when she came to my window. I don’t know how in the world she didn’t give me a DUI. She knew I was wasted. Might have been because I was close to home.

I wrote a much more incendiary attack on Kawafucknut on his thread. I wonder if it posted.

It didn’t. Little Timmy doesn’t like criticism.

I feel like renaming this blog Tim Kawakami is an asshole.

• Winder says:

Lot’s of sports writers have that holier-than-thou attitude and they subject the reader to their personal agenda’s. That’s why I don’t read them. See how they’d run if their personal life was to be put under a microscope.

Just heard Jimmie Ward has a stress fracture in his foot?

• Spitblood says:

They found it at the combine. He didn’t even know about it. Already had a screw inserted. Poor pick by Baalke. That kid’s body won’t hold up unless he learns, like Carlos Rogers, to get the hell outta the way.

He missed the combine, but ran a 4.47 at his pro day in March. Then he had surgery March 11? I think this is a new break of his metatarsal.

I think they found the break at the combine, he said “screw it,” and ran at this pro day, then had the surgery after. I could be wrong.

chuck- I can’t seem to find any information on Ward’s new injury, hopefully it is not serious.

Yeah, I heard a blurb on Comcast last night. I thought they said there was a new injury, but I hadn’t even heard of the surgery on the 11th. He isn’t taking part in practice any time soon. I just hope he doesn’t fall behind too far.

Maiocco has the story posted as being the Combine related injury which is expected to keep him on the cautious approach until they open Camp in July Chuck –

Basically boils down to not pushing him along I’d guess?
      He’s not going anywhere with Bethea ahead of him anyway perhaps?
      This entire Draft class appears to be depth first, needed starters second.

Baalke cashed in last year with Reid for Goldson.
      No need to rush Ward IMO.

• Spitblood says:

Total bullshit, Baalke lover. Ward was drafted to play the slot. He’s not drafted to play safety. He’s a nickle corner, something the 49ers play like 70% of the time. The position is considered a starting position. And I don’t know what planet you’re on, NJ, but we just lost 3/5th of our secondary in free agency. Our first round draft pick is no god damn backup under those circumstances. This Ward kid better produce, and he better produce now. We can’t afford anymore Baalke AJ Jenkins or LMJ picks. Baalke can’t wiff on this year’s draft like he did in 2012.

And Carlos Hyde wasn’t drafted as a backup. Are you kidding? Lattimore is a project and Frank Gore is ancient. Hyde better produce immediately as well.

Same with Marcus Martin. Who really thinks Kilgore’s going to be a world beater? Martin better be prepared to step and produce.

Your angle as a Baalke apologist is pathetic.

Can’t forget about CJ Spillman being ahead of him on the depth chart either.
        Gotta figure the battle for Ward will take place with guys like Ventrone and Dahl for ST replacements before they even think about game action anytime soon.
        Time will tell.

The Secondary is about to take a substantial youth movement between this Season and next.
        Baalke added quite a few pieces this year.

Culliver will get tested on that knee repair right quick, with Dontae Johnson, I’ll bet.
        Chris Cook and Eric Wright aren’t guaranteed anything either, along with Cox.

As will Kilgore going against Marcus Martin for the Center position.
        My guess is Martin takes this year to get acclimated since he’s seeing time at the Center and Guard positions.

I’m with Spit regarding ‘Bling’ Lloyd too.
        He’s no lock either.

Spit the starters are Reid and Bethea.
        Spillman, Morris and perhaps one of the Rookies could see time as a slot option.
        Trust me, a first RD pick has expectations certainly.
        For me, I’m not sold that he’s expected to contribute heavily right out of the gate, we’ll see.

Baalke has created a pretty heavy competition for someone to step up.
        I’m not making any apologies whatsoever.
        Be nice if Ward shines in Camp, no argument.

What we got with Ward is an option.
        I don’t put him in the same position as Reid simply because he played in a smaller school program.

Baalke hater.

Frank is done after this year.
        LMJ is likely Trade bait when Camp breaks, if not sooner.

The future at RB is Lattimore and Hyde.
        No question there for me.
        There is no clear future for Kendall Hunter either.
        I believe he’s coming to the end of his Rookie deal too.

Very possible Jewel Hampton could steal Kendall Hunters’ job as the swing back too.
        We’ll see?
        Seems pretty clear cut that Lattimore and Hyde will be given the job to handle the heavy lifting portion of the RB duties.

Right, I don’t think Ward’s here to back up Bethea, He’s here to replace what Rogers became. And that’s slot CB. Near as I can tell Ward was hurt before the combine and missed it. Then he ran in his pro day 2 weeks later, and THEN had his Jones surgery. I guess he gets props for still running a 4.;47 in need of foot surgery, but I hadn’t heard about surgeries until yesterday. I didn’t hear anyone else talking about it either,

From everything I’ve read, Daryl Morris is the burner of the group, as it stands right now.
      Fangio interchanges his Secondary guys, especially at the S positions.
      Ward and Johnson are both CB/S-types.

It’ll be an interesting situation to watch as they get into the Camp battles.

Ward is here and was drafted to replace Carlos Rogers. Period.

NJ – These pipe dreams of yours that Baalke’s players don’t need to produce for several years is a joke. And further more, his wounded warriors need to produce now. Ray McDonald, Justin Smith and Patrick Willis are getting older. This is Gore and Justin Smith’s last years. Bowman is injured. Iupati will hit the open market. There is HUGE potential for rookies starting, and in fact, Harbaugh needs Baalke’s draft picks to start producing. In the last two years, only three of Baalke’s 20 picks are contributing: Cory Lemonier, Eric Reid and Quinton Patton, and Lemonier and Patton are contributing sparingly.

It’s time for Baalke’s boys to start contributing, and it’s time for you, NJ, to quit apologizing.

Spit I’m simply attempting to analyze the strategy Baalke employs when he’s making these selections.
      I had Reid as my top replacement for Goldson last year. It was a bonus that he was able to earn the starting role.
      Lemonier was also a guy I thought was in a similar category to Aldon.
      Tank was likely brought in on the injury discount to spell Justin, Dial as well for Ray McD.

When I look at the expiring Contracts, I see a pattern with Baalke looking ahead.
      You’ve seen my opinions regarding Iupati, Crabtree and others over time as well.

Keep in mind that Cap money has to be factored into the mix as well.
      By taking a ‘red-shirt’ approach with guys like Lattimore, Tank and this year with Brandon Thomas, and the DBs, the Team has medical supervision at their disposal, while also keeping the Cap hit in check.

I’m with you about getting early contributions from any and all of the Picks.
      It’s a bonus if these competitions produce starters.

I also think Baalke is looking ahead to those like Patrick and Staley too.
      Jonathan Martin is a freebie look-see, who could replace Looney and or Snyder.
      He’s familiar with the system and has a chance to resurrect his recent past.
      No biggie if he flops, a late RD Pick next year if he sticks.
      Gabbert has starting experience. The bulk of his 1st RD money paid.
      Would you consider him an upgrade over McCoy?
      I would.

AJ was a whiff, we can agree on that.
      I also see the WR position as one of the most difficult positions for any GM to project into the NFL.
      Like QBs, the bust rate is enormously high.

Ward is likely to see his best shot at slot/nickel duties but, I’d suggest the ultimate target is to replace Bethea at SS.
        That won’t happen in year 1, that’s all I’m suggesting.
        The NEED for him to start isn’t urgent, at least at the SS position.

Bonus if he earns the slot duties? Of course.
        I think Ward has tons of potential.
        I’m simply tempering my expectations until we see where the Camp battles take them.
        Northern Illinois didn’t see the sort of competition Reid saw coming from LSU.

As he’s the top Pick this year, he’s carrying higher expectations.
        No argument there.
        His job to earn his place in the pecking order.

Gentlemen no need to get testy. After all there’s plenty of insults to be freely exchanged later when the action heats up a bit. BLEEP!

• Spitblood says:

I reserve the right to insult anyone at any given time. Why wait ’til the regular season to set someone straight? After all…. I’m perfect.

Well, that’s the rub, NJ. I don’t think Ward has the size to be a strong safety. As a slot CB I’m fine with him. I think we draft bethea’s replacement next year.

One thing I’ve noticed with Baalke Chuck, his position guys seem to follow a pretty consistant pattern.
      Bethea and Ward are very similar in size/weight.
      Coincidence? Maybe.
      But, Whitner was actually a pretty small-sized guy too. Ward is a better cover guy IMO than Whitner however.
      Few teams have the Kam Chancellor model, roaming the Secondary.

We’ll see where this ultimately goes for Ward.
      One thing each of these Drafted DBs has in common are productive tackle numbers.

As many of us have noticed, Willis and Bowman are clones.
      Baalke has a very specific type of guy in mind when he Drafts at any given position I think.

Like everyone here, I’m hoping hit another gem like Reid vs. a deer in the headlights like AJ.

That’s why the Borland Pick surprised me.
        He’s got short arms and a crappy stat line in general.
        4.83 with a 31″ Vert ain’t too impressive.

Baalke made no secret about his love of long-armed guys, ala Aldon, Willis and Bowman for example.

But, when you look at Borlands’ ability to get to the ball and make plays, he’s a gamer.

20. “Make today the first day of the rest of your life.”

What self-important preaching pompous son of a mook gets credit for that line?
    It sounds like something Harbaugh would say. Asshole. Go lose another SB.

And Jimmie Ward should have consulted with yours truly first. I had surgery to repair my Jones fracture (and a few other things) on March 4. And I’m not planning to cover any WRs in the slot anytime soon.

Another Baalke M*A*S*H unit beauty.

Damn Del, pretty ferocious winds and quicksand in that convenience store.
    Looks like you forgot the 12 pack too 😀

Not sure how much this story got noticed out there but, it’s pretty eff’n scary to think about –

CNN exclusive: A meat processing plant in California was buying diseased dairy cows and processing them when government inspectors weren’t there, federal officials tell CNN.

After the cows were killed, employees at Rancho Feeding Corp., based in Petaluma, California, would hide the warning signs of cancer by trimming off diseased parts, using a fake stamp of approval or even replacing the heads of sick cows with ones from healthy animals, the officials say.

A tip from an employee led to a federal investigation and the recall of nearly 9 million pounds of meat processed by Rancho.

The government overseeing our food production? Isn’t that socialism?

Apparently self-regulation isn’t the way to go here.

With Hyde, Lattimore and Hunter on board, I’m down with the depth at RB. Gore can be phased out during the season, or before it starts, whichever. Frank should be congratulated for his service, and asked to stand down gracefully or gradually. At this point in his career, IMO his value is mostly as a pass blocker. Hopefully he can help show the younguns how it’s done, because he’s been great at it. I am always for having 3 QBs. If only two and Kap goes down, that means you are one injury away on the next play from having some wideout be the QB for the remainder of a game, and then hustling to get a substitute, train him up and get him ready to start in one week between games. IMO it’s worth it to carry three…

• Winder says:

Gore is still good for 800 – 1000 yards this year, and your right he can surely show em how it’s done.

• Spitblood says:

If Gore gets 800-1000 we won’t win the Super Bowl. If he’s 500 or less we will.

Was it 1978 when Freddie Solomon was forced into QB duties due to DeBerg and the #2 guy (Scott Bull?) going down? Those were the fugly days . . .

• snarkk says:

I think that’s the thing I’m reminded of. I don’t know if Freddy even threw any passes, maybe he did, he was a QB in college for a while, as I remember. I guess you can keep a third, real QB on the practice squad — but you tell me Chuck, is that regularly done? I don’t know. Still, even if that’s done, that QB wouldn’t get much real practice time throwing with the starting squad, it seems to me. These days, it’s not beyond the realm of possibility at all that two QBs could go down in the space of one or two games. Kap goes outside the pocket downfield and gets popped by a linebacker — if he takes a shoulder injury or something, we’re down to one QB on the active roster. Niners already don’t throw the ball enough, with only one QB available Roman would make him a handoff machine…

• Irish Kevin says:

Handoff machine with an occassional 2 yrd pass, just to keep the defense guessing.

Lots of teams carry 4 by putting one on the ‘inactive’ list and one on the practice squad, along with the 1 and 2. Then again, teams do try to make due with 2 on the active, and a young guy on the practice squad. I’d be very surprised if we don’t at least keep Falkner on the PS.

What this usually means though is that they have someone who they can sign at a moment’s notice like Bethel-Thompson last year after they waived him earlier.

On a funny note (well, not at the time), just looked up that 1978 team. I vaguely remember them using backup DB Bruce Threadgill at QB as well. He was 0-2 with 2 INTs in his only action. I think it was the last game of the year and they didn’t want to risk Freddie getting hurt.

Freddie was something like 5-10 for 83 yards . . . and only 1 pick!

Like most teams if their starting QB goes down they are pretty much done. So are we.

And, in more fun news, Alex Boone is MIA at the OTAs due to unhappiness with the contract he signed.

• Spitblood says:

Hopefully Boone finds his happy place soon because it’s probably not with more money coming his way. That’s the very reason he was signed as an UDFA – for a high reward (cheap player if he panned out). Boone also has zero leverage with Looney, Martin and Thomas in the mix. I know Thomas is injured, but if Boone’s a pain in the ass, Thomas can replace him next year. We might even have Bykowski still in the mix somewhere.

Yeah, the hope is Harbaugh can do for Gabbert what he did for Alex.

• Spitblood says:

I hate to say it, but as far as rehab projects, Alex has the advantage over Gabbert for one reason: heart. Alex has it (with little talent), and Gabbert doesn’t (with more talent than Alex). If I was a betting man, I’d say Harbaugh doesn’t rehab Gabbert unless Gabbert visits the Wizard and finds a heart.

Yeah, Snarkk/Winder. I think Gore gets more and more breaks during the year. Surely 750-800 yards, but I think he loses playing time to Hyde, providing he can block.

I’m still not sold that Lattimore is going to be able to play 100% this season.

I think Hyde’s going to tear it up and Roman will telegraph his rare passing plays by putting Gore in to block.

Boone is worth a reasonable bump in salary IMO.
    Simply because he’s been durable.
    Good chance Snyder will lose out to Jonathan Martin as the swing tackle plus, Marcus Martin or Looney could secure a spot in the rotation as well.

We’ve still got Al Netter and the OG we claimed from Seattle last year on the roster too, Ryan Seymour.

See what shakes out.

I like Boone and I hope the brass can figure out how to keep him. He plays with an attitude and has been a solid player, can’t have to many good OL’s

Sure, Boone may be deserving of a raise, but this shit is annoying. No one twisted his arm to sign his current deal. Then again, I thought Gore would gladly renegotiate his deal as well. These guys aren’t paying attention to reality.

This is only the voluntary portion of the process too Chuck.
      New Agent, repping a consistant, reliable performer, who’s making below market wages.

It’s a business.

If Boone balks when the attendance is mandatory, that’s when things could get testy.
      He’s definitely earned his keep since cleaning up his College image.
      He was a solid performer at Ohio St. (with a wreckless attitude) that caused him to go undrafted in the first place.

Can’t say he didn’t take his job seriously since he arrived.
      I think they’ll work with him on this.

• Spitblood says:

Oh Moses, smell the roses. You think they’ll “work with [Boone] on this?” Really? We just traded for Stevie Johnson and acquired his 4 million plus per year, and we’re strapped for cash, looking for players to restructure like Bowman so we can put together a deal for Kaep? I know the 49ers publically announced they would wait and see with Kaep until the Florida thing was resolved, but an extension still looms large whether it’s today or tomorrow. Steve Johnson – Bowman + Kaep =’s no extra money for Boone.

And Boone’s not going to sit out. I promise you that. No NFL player has held out since Vincent Jackson in his days with the Chargers. Boone is basically saying he’s unhappy and not going to go above and beyond, but when the mandatory stuff comes around, Boone will be there, and he’ll play and say all the right things. You wait. And he won’t get another penny from the 49ers. The minute Boone wants more is the minute they plug in Looney, Thomas and Martin. And when they feel underpaid the GM will have other O linemen waiting in the wings. Do you remember a guy named Carlos Rogers? Leverage. Sometimes you got it. Sometimes you don’t. With the O line, the 49ers have it.

All true Spit.
        My initial response suggested leverage as well.
        Carlos’ Contract clears up $6+Mil sometime in June I believe.

Guys like Snyder could be dispensable too, for the likes of Looney and others, simply due to his age.
        I know your feelings about Baalke but, I think he’s played the Cap Mgt angles very well to this point.

Agree, Boone likely reports when mandatory attendance is required, simply because of the current CBA, penalties would lighten his bank account even further.
        Holdouts were basically eliminated under the current arrangements.

He’s under Contract for 2 more years, he’s not dealing from a position of strength at this point.
        Baalke has the cards and could deal him if other options arise.

Just saying that I’d be inclined to entertain a Cap friendly approach for a guy that’s proven to be very reliable.

I actually think Iupati and Crabtree are goners due to additions like MMartin and Brandon Thomas.
        Stevie is the leverage for Crabtree.

Yes, I think there’s a way to make Boone happy without strangling the Cap.
        Gore’s money is gone after this year too.
        We’ll see how things go.
        I wouldn’t sweat it with Boone. He’s worth a raise IMO.

If I didn’t know any better, I might actually think you’re approving of the moves Baalke made to plan for the future.

Thought that was my job?

To be fair, Boone is a proven commodity.
        Baalke surely won’t cave on this, no way.

As was the case with TBrown and the lost wages last year, I think they value Boone enough to at least make a reasonable attempt to keep him happy.
        He’s making peanuts by comparison, to many others in the League.

Something I think Baalke is positioned to do well with is Comp Picks for both Iupati and Crabtree next year.

2 former high 1st RD Picks, that probably will be too expensive to retain, still equals a valuable return that way.

HORSE-BLEEP!

Oh Moses, smell the roses? That’s a new one. . .

Rogers was certainly a proven commodity, but he was obviously on the back end of his career path. Brown was just a casualty of his own dumbosity. Boone they could make some small concession for, but I don’t think he’s high on their list of must-sign guys. Boone was pretty much stupiding his way out of the league if not for the team’s willingness to help him salvage his shit. This is how he thanks them?

And all this talk about Stevie Wonder is intriguing at best. He’s prima donna’ed his way through a couple of injury-plagued seasons after his good start. Has he grown up? Will he embrace the team concept so thrust on the players here? How he goes will tell some about how they deal with Crabs. I’m not sold on the guy by any means.

My top 5 favorite players in the NFL right now…..
    1.) Navarro Bowman
    2.) Rocky Bernard
    3.) Steve Smith
    4.) Wes Welker
    5.) Charlie Whitehurtz

1.) Bowman’s better than Willis, makes more plays and has more personality. He’s the team’s leader. At least the defense’s.
    2.) Rocky Bernard knocked Alex Smith out of a game, a season and almost ended his Smith’s career prematurely. The year Smith was on the bench was my favorite Alex Smith year while he was in SF. Rocky was 95 in the Giants’ playbook, number two on this list, but number one in my heart.
    3.) When he was younger, Steve Smith used to punch-out his teammates to the tune of facial reconstruction and many hours of counseling. Still the angriest man in football.
    4.) The foot interview? The hit on Talib in the playoffs? Giving away the track’s money and then telling the track to go fly a kite when the said they wanted it back. Good stuff, Welker.
    5.) And now Charlie Whitehurtz has cracked my top five. Why? Because he lost his jersey number in an arm wrestling match to a punter. I mean, honestly…. If you’re that weak that you lose an arm wrestling match to a punter, and you’ve been in the league, drawing league minimum pay for six or seven years, you’re fleecin’ a lot of NFL GMs. I could beat Andy Lee in an arm wrestling match as a double arm amputee. That buck tooth goober is straight out of a Beetle Bailey cartoon. I bet he could chew through an Aspen quicker than you could get your Stihl saw fired up.

• Spitblood says:

Actually, Rocky Bernard is no longer in the NFL so technically he can’t make my “current NFL favorites” list. So my new number 5 favorite player is now a tie between Kaep and Hyde. Weak, I know.

New thread is up . . .