LA Law Meets Miami Vice

Well, news has slowed to a trickle these days regarding the 49ers, and the NFL in general, so let’s revisit the police blotter. Aldon Smith is scheduled to reappear in court for his three felony weapons charges and the misdemeanor DUI charge on Wednesday. Due to the two continuances already done, one would think that the lawyers are plea-bargaining their way to lesser charges all around. I’m sure they will remove the felony charges as they have to prove that Aldon knew he was intentionally buying illegal weapons. Hard to prove intent and foreknowledge when you just say ‘I thought they were cool, so I bought them.’

As far as the DUI goes, unless something comes out like he was drunk at the time of his arrest for the bomb threat deal, something alluded to but not tested for or noted in LAX, he should be fine with time served, and the voluntary 5 game suspension last year. As far as that airport thing goes, which Smith denies using the word ‘bomb,’ the LA city attorney’s office has yet to file any charges themselves. Whether LA is waiting for the other shit to be resolved first remains to be seen.

Smith, for his part, is in camp and working with the team. He’s saying some version of the truth will come out and paint a picture that isn’t as bad as it appears. I’d think there would be some action taken by the NFL, but I think it’ll be 2-4 games instead of 4-6. Possibly even no suspension and community service, but I’d say 4 games max, 2 likely. FOr his part, Jolly Roger said “The issue here is not to discipline players. The issue here is to stop the behavior. And aldon, to your point, has voluntarily said, ‘I need help.’ We are obviously there to support him and the 49ers did a great job getting him into a facility to try to get that help. And so, we all support that.” Not that I know the first thing about him, but everyone who has talked to him, whether inside the team or outside, including Ronnie Lott, have said he’s a good kid who  simply got overwhelmed by the vagaries of fame and money. He’s not a (his words) thug or a bad guy. Just a hard-working guy who got caught up in the hysteria.

Kappy and Miami Vice? Nothing new from that. The charges should likely be dropped entirely as nothing new has come from Jesus or the others involved. The talk around Kappy Kapperson now is the fact that the Niners are still pushing to get a deal done with him before training camp starts July 27th. The numbers bandied about are truly scary, and he seems to want Flacco money ($20 mill per year) despite losing to Flacco in the Super Bowl, and coming up short with a truly shitty 4th quarter vs Seattle. I think something like 5/$100 mill – $40 mill guaranteed is inevitable. They’ll likely get it done early July.

As far as Grand Theft Auto’s newest NFL tie-in star Chris Culliver, and his five charges goes (felony hit and run, felony reckless driving with injury, felony possession of brass knuckles, misdemeanor hit and run and misdemeanor driving on a suspended license), I’m sure this will all be settled out of court (cha-ching!!) and the charges dropped. At most, community service and anger management classes.

In other news that tangentally affects the 49ers, Chicago Bears WR Brandon Marshall has signed a 3 year $30 million extension. Thus setting a hard ceiling for Michael Crabtree. For all the money Crabs thinks he’s worth, there’s no way he’s better than Marshall Marshall Marshall. These contract talks with Crabs look to be very interesting depending on how well he does this season. I think he’s a goner anyway, but what the Niners did in the draft don’t make me think they feel that way. But based on his original contract dealings, I see some animosity on the horizon.

50 Responses to LA Law Meets Miami Vice

I think Aldon Smith will be fine. That airport and it’s officers were being opportunistic. Aldon will need to learn to deal with opportunistic people, officers and shake-downs. He’s an easy target. I actually have more faith in Aldon than I do our brass knucklehead. I think Aldon will turn it around.

Let it be a firm lesson …..always have a good experienced lawyer especially when one is young and rich. If you’re old and poor throw away the key!

Hey, if you want 3 squares and a place to sleep, and you get tired of Dennis’ snoring, Nippy . . . As Bon Scott so eloquently said, hell ain’t a bad place to be . . .

Yeah, Cully comes across as a petty little punk-ass punk. Aldon seems much more the stand-up guy.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. I don’t stand with Mark Cuban on most things, but he was right that the NFL owners are so far out of control it will take years and years of lawsuits against them before they change their greedy ways. Expanded playoffs? Expanded regular season?

Ray Lewis said it best – “We already play injured.” And the owners will inject you with stuff you don’t know much about to help you play injured. Concussions / injections vs expanding the season? What a joke.

I hope the hogs get slaughtered.

I always figured guys had to be on something to play football especially guys in their thirties. Now we really know.

Color me stupid for not realizing this during the draft. Did you guys know Ellington ran a 4.31 at the combine? The combine is usually a slow 40 time (at least I thought so) with players usually not running well but redeeming themselves at their pro days. Ellington’s 4.31 at the combine is awesome. There’s your guy to take the top off the defense. Ellington’s the next Ted Ginn with Ellington hopefully able to run better routes.

oops….

Yes. I did anyway. He is a KR for now. We’ll see if the Niners ever use 4WRs, then we might see him on the field.

Ellington was a point guard for SCAR.
    Kid is quick.
    Always favored a 2 sport talent, especially when you pair football and basketball.
    Excellent conditioning advantages.
    Combine stats were nearly identical to Odell’s too.

“After playing only basketball in 2010, he joined the football team in 2011 and played both sports throughout his college career. As a football player he had 106 career receptions for 1,586 yards and 16 touchdowns”

Hopefully he’ll make an earlier contribution for us.

His cousin Andre Ellington is the enemy now in AZ too.

Ellington is a couple inches shorter than Beckham but, Bruce had the better Vert at 39.5″.
      Kinda evens the height thing out that way.

Mayock compares Ellington to a bigger Ace Sanders.

There are a lot of picks I can’t stand in this Baalke draft, but Ellington and Hyde aren’t bad choices.

I liked Ace too.
      Hyde was a gift, simply because of the diminished value impacting the RB position.
      I think Jimmie Ward will surprise you though.
      Solid tackler with some value in coverage.

How’s the bum wheel?
      Kicking any mallards yet?

CB Dontae Johnson (IMO), is insurance against Culliver too.
        Should be a good competition between them.
        Very similar guys.

Johnson is even a bit taller, (6’2″) which isn’t a bad thing.
        Both guys are S/CB tweener-types.

Baalke took a very future focused approach to this Draft Class.
        No one is needed immediately and, the guys he took are all ‘upside’ guys.

My favorite of the crop is Marcus Martin, with Hyde just being a flat-out steal.

Kilgore will have his hands full trying to keep Marcus off his back for starting time too I think.

Another thing I noticed –
        Marcus Martin looks like a dead ringer to Lomas Brown.
        Very close resemblance IMO.

• Spitblood says:

Reaser and Acker have a better shot than Dontae Johnson – mark my words. Dontae Johnson is too stiff in the hips and doesn’t play instinctively. He’s lost. His college coaches switched him around from CB to S probably hoping they’d find a fit for him or a place where he could play more instinctively. I love his size, but hate his game.

Ward, Borland, Dontae Johnson and Lynch were bad picks. I don’t know what Baalke was thinking. The two offensive linemen, plus Ellington and Hyde were the only good picks in this draft. Ward will be serviceable and he’ll make plays, but he’ll also get beat by being out-muscled which is a big reason why Ward was a huge mistake.

Two weeks later, I still give Baalke an F. You give me all those picks, I would have found immediate competition for Dobbs, Williams, Wilhoite, Moody, Bathea, Jerod-Eddie, Culliver, Brock, Patton, Gore, Hunter and James. And they would have been better quality.

I don’t normally get too high about Draftees until we see them in action.
        It’s always a crap-shoot.
        Gotta admit, we’re not suffering for starters now as in recent years.

For now, I think they all have potential with little to no pressure to get onto the field immediately.

I’ll reserve criticism until we see who shows some ability.

Yes Johnson is/was a tweener at NC State but, I too like his size and, he tackles well.
        I do think all the picks were good value guys.
        Borland was the only real surprise for me simply because of his size.
        I can’t fault his motor or his College production however.
        He goes full bore.

He’ll earn a ST gig right away, as should Skov.
        It’s also about cheaper/younger guys back filling for Cap improvement.

Ellington could allow Baalke to move LMJ now too.
        See what comes.

Aaron Lynch could be a steal too.
        See whether he gets his head out of his A$$.

No problems at all, with how things turned out on paper, to this point for me.
        Time will tell.
        Up to all of them to put in the work now.

• snarkk says:

I liked Ace Ventura…

CRAP-SHOOT!

Calling this a shitty draft is putting the cart 3 miles in front of the horse. Did NE get huge kudos for drafting Brady? No. Very few even knew who Aldon Smith was. Even trading up for Reid last year was a risk. We’ll get a better sense of what this draft is in 2016.

I didn’t like the Ward pick either, but I can’t say it was a horrible pick with him not playing a down. Tony Mandarich was a can’t miss lineman. Ryan Leaf, on and on and on.

• Spitblood says:

And yet people all over want to declare this a “GREAT DRAFT.” I’m not grading it an F based on talent. I’m giving it an F based on philosophy.

Personally, I don’t like the amount of risk Baalke is willing to take on. He’s hoping for high ceiling guys with high risk (that people don’t talk much about). What if Lattimore never plays? We’ve thrown a lot of resources his way. I’d prefer a more conservative approach. No injured guys, no head cases we can hopefully rehab (Lynch), and no small school reaches. Just go get me some players without issues. Is that too much to ask? And don’t give me this…. “Not in this day and age.” There are a number of teams much more risk adverse than the 49ers.

Great draft? Not by me. It’s just fodder for the wonks and the Mel Kipers out there. EVERYONE is a risk. Every can’t-miss guy is preceeded by 1,500 can’t-miss guys that missed. The high picks they took are things they need. Hyde may pass Lattimore, or not. He’s the heir apparent to Gore. We need a center. We got tjhe best one in the draft. Borland? Ehhh. Not too sold on him, but I don;t know all that much either. Back-end fliers? Why not? Like I said, I didn’t like the Ward pick, but he does fill a need for slot corner. I wanted SJB for his size and upside. Is he a risk? Of course he is.

Lattimore? You wait and see. He’s a late 4th round pick for God’s sake. It’s not like we picked him with the 23rd pick in the 1st round. I like Hyde as a value pick, and I like the Martin at C pick and the other lineman as well. Ellington as well. The rest? All the Niners are doing now is building for depth. Nothing wrong with that.

It’s averse . . . as in risk averse.

Just getting out of bed in the morning is a risk.

You’re welcome.

• Spitblood says:

You can averse it up your ass. There are degrees of risk to each player. Players who are injured during the draft are more risk because you don’t know who they’ll be when they return. If there’s a risk to everyone, why increase the risk?

Because we are talking about 4th round and below guys for the most part. Put it this way. Would you have traded LMJ for AP the day after AP blew his knee out? Or Gore even? No guarantees for any of these guys. Look at Darius Fleming. Worst luck ever, but the Pats signed him after 2 years of getting hurt here.

• Spitblood says:

What the hell does any of this have to do with the price of tea in China? Sometimes I wonder about your mental skills.

Well, at least they are skills. Dennis fall off his barstool and breaks his leg, and you fall off your tricycle and break your foot. Maroons on parade.

Aldon cops a plea. No contest to all charges. Sentencing to be held July 25th. Anywhere from 0-13 years for the weapons, and 0-6 months in jail for the DUI.

As I said before, I think the weapons charges are reduced way down and the DUI charges are dropped for time served in rehab. 2-4 game suspension by Jolly Roger.

Unless the powers-that-be want the 49ers to win it all in their brand spanking new stadium.

• snarkk says:

I’m thinking Goody will lower the boom with a 4 gamer. Aldon has not kept his nose clean after the stint in rehab. Not a good sign. So, 4 gamer, not just a 2 gamer slap on the wrist. Hell, why not 3? Is there a rule in the CBA against odd numbered game suspensions…

I don’t see Crabby staying on for an extension. Not that he doesn’t like Kap. He probably just doesn’t like the offense, and the fact that the Niners have two young stud running backs ready to go. If I’m a WR, I’m not liking that offense either. Not good for my numbers and my next/last contract…

Chuck SJB and Dontae Johnson were ranked very close on my comparisons.
    Johnson has more playing time, had the better 40 and, was used at both S and CB at NC St.
    As with any Draftee, GMs look for system fits and ‘upside’.

Spit-
    No one knew Jerry Rice would come from the mega football factory of MS Valley St to rewrite the WR record books.
    Every guy Drafted comes with endless questions about their ability to compete at the Pro level.
    There are numerous ‘small school’ guys that made it, just as there are numerous ‘can’t miss’ guys that couldn’t hack it.

All we can do is wait and see whether Baalke identified enough ‘workers’ who want to play football, instead of just being here for the paycheck.

I’ve always appreciated the guys like Singletary, who felt they got short changed on Draft day and wanted to prove they belonged when they got the chance.

SJB ran a 4.61 in Indy. Johnson a 4.45.
      Again, stats are stats, I get that. Nothing but a measurable commodity.
      My concerns for SJB were the same for Kelvin Benjamin, no long term game experience to validate.

SJB was Drafted primarily because Carolina grabbed Kelvin Benjamin IMO.
      By comparison, Dontae Johnson and SJB are the same height with Verts that were a few inches apart.
      I just think Johnson moved better than SJB.
      Of course, time will tell which guy has better success in the end.

Benjamin and SJB are evenly matched in terms of Combine stats too.
        Both at 4.61 in the 40.
        SJB has the advantage in Vert abilities.
        Should be a good matchup to watch in the NFC South as they develop.

Neither guy moves real well. It’ll be interesting.

SJB’s 40 time was a bit disappointing. But they don’t play football on a track. I just thought his upside was huge.

Stanley Jean Baptiste ran a 4.48 at his pro day. That’s what Fuller ran at the combine. It’s common players don’t run well at the combine but run well at their pro days. I liken it to a slave picking cotton at home or on the road. When slaves are on the road, they’re nervous – anxious. At home they’re far more relaxed and productive.

Stanley Jean Baptiste didn’t get picked like cotton from the bush in the second round because he was slow. He got picked in the second like cotton in the fields because he couldn’t tackle….. he recently switched from WR to CB. It’ll take him some time to learn to come up and support the run, and teams will have to protect him because of it. This is probably why the 49ers didn’t draft him. Stanley Jean wasn’t gonna get wet-nursed by Fangio.

Still love Ward tellin’ the media Fangio introducted himself with a poker face. That kids either gonna be a comedian in SF, a bust or a criminal. Maybe a little bit of all three.

Very smart move by Aldon Smith to change his plea. You don’t need a plea bargain to get a lesser sentence. The move means Aldon’s owning it and the DA won’t need to put a ton of resources towards getting a conviction. Aldon will no doubt get leniency.

Aldon will probably get less than an 8 game suspension if the 49ers can make the case that Aldon is on the right road, that the airport incident was a joke and the airport was being a little too sensitive and possibly the law afterwards was opportunistic, and that Aldon needs to work right now to get his mind off his demons – as apart of his program. That would take a lot of convincing for Goodell to reduce Aldon’s suspension, but a suspension doesn’t hurt anyone but Aldon. The 49ers have Lemonier who I’m excited to see more of. Lemonier could be just as talented, allowing the 49ers to trade Aldon Smith to the Cleveland Browns for an Alex Smith booty. And no, I don’t mean an ass like Alex Smith’s. I wouldn’t want that.

The old Iupati, Crabtree or Aldon Smith debate is getting closer to being answered. Brandon Marshal’s signing of 10 million per year on The View means Crabtree’s worth about 8-9, a number I predicted earlier, and Chuck was way off on, putting Crabtree’s number over 10 million. I am the greatest. Ali stole my line. Bowman restructures, why not Gore? Gabbert’s 2 million is guaranteed? I didn’t know that. That sucks. Mistake Baalke, unless Josh Johnson beats out Gabbert in camp. The 49ers need to restructure Gore to pay Kaep, then decide between Crabtree and Iupati. If Cory Lemonier plays well in Aldon’s absence, trade Aldon, dump Iupati, sign Crabtree and Kaep and with Carlos Hyde the 49ers will dominate.

Marcus Martin or Brandon Thomas replaces Mike Iupati. In my opinion, that’s an easy one to predict. What’s not easy is whether or not Cory Lemonier will be able to play well enough to allow the 49ers to trade Aldon Smith to the Cleveland Bills (you see what I did there? I’m clever). More draft picks, relatively same production. Crabtree has to be resigned because Baalke can draft WRs about as well as Del can budget his money around Triple Crown events. All these Niner issues look to be shaking out nicely. Only question I have is why the 49ers aren’t asking Gore to restructure. If the answer is because it’s Gore’s last year in a 49er uniform, and the 49ers are trying to do right by Gore, who’s been a 49er warrior, that’s about the only answer I’ll tolerate.

Matt Maiocco, AKA wonder suck, makes an astute observation that it’ll take a miracle for the 49ers to carry 3 qbs on the roster this year. That means two things: Josh Johnson and Blaine Gabbert are battling for the number two spot on the roster and yours truly is fully in the Josh Johnson camp. I thought Johnson beat-out McCoy last year, and Johnson would be a whole hell of a lot cheaper with no “silver spoon in his mouth,” guarantee. Blaine Gabbert’s not going to inspire anyone to play hard for him in Kaep’s absense, and he’s damn sure not going to win you a playoff game. But Josh Johnson? Josh Johnson could win you a playoff game in a pinch.

All-n-all, things are shaping up nicely for the 49ers. Baalke better hope his wounded warriors start to produce this year or he’s wasted a lot of resources on high risk players who’ve flopped.

After reading Spit, I’m hungry! Lots to chew on.

New thread is up . . .