The Pro Bowl – Gone? Would Anyone Care?

sf1

I for one wouldn’t. The game last year was icing on the cake. Never have I seen so many missed tackles and half-assed effort since the last Raider game. I kid, but really. Much like baseball, once upon a time, the players used to care about the outcome. Baseball’s All Star game became a joke when the game got roided up and they turned it into a 3 day event. The newcomers game? Ehhh. The home run contest? Horse shit. I wonder how many players ruined their swings during that forced competition.

Anyhow, once upon a time you had guys like Mark Gastineau, yeah, a hot-dog supreme, but he nearly killled Joe Montana in a pro bowl years ago. The one I went to in 1998, Kevin Gogan and Derrick Thomas were ejected for fighting. The games were at least nominally played the right way. Last year’s was atrocious. I went to a hockey all star game in 2000, and it was the same thing. No one wanted to hit anyone, and it was mainly target practice for the scorers. The game ended up something like 11-8. Booooring. NBA? same deal. Defense isn’t considered part of the game. Baseball’s all star game is still the best of a sorry lot, even if they have to inject meaning into it by giving home field to the team that wins. The NFL can’t fall victim to perpetuating this sham of a game.

So, what they should do is still have the voting, still have the trip to Hawaii, but turn it into a celebrity golf tournament. Have some kind of fan interaction. Say, a lottery to go and golf with the players, have the players hang out somewhere so the fans can meet them and chat them up, anything but the sham the game is now.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

72 Responses to The Pro Bowl – Gone? Would Anyone Care?

Anyone gonna watch the pro bowl? The best part is the players in the Super Bowl don’t have to go.

I had a heart attack when the scroll on the bottom of the NFL Network was telling the players who were voted into the pro bowl. I didn’t know what was scrolling but I see the name PATRICK WILLIS – WILL NOT PLAY scroll by and I almost swallowed my tongue. As I kept reading I realized is was the line up for the prob bowl, and Willis’ absence due to his going to the Super Bowl

Yeh Chuck I put up a reply in the last thread to Spit related to this.

I have no problem with the players being cautious about their health. This game is a vacation as much as it is an honor to participate, while it provides major PR and sponsorship dollars to the NFL Machine.
    In my reply to spit I recalled,( if correct), that Robert Edwards from the Pats blew his knee, and career, playing a meaningless flag football game on the beach at the event.

If ownership were to guarantee a players’ Contract to participate in this event, things would change.
    I proposed a Fan Appreciation event at Disney World in my example.
    Let fans pay to participate in a meet and greet.
    Your players become accessible, sign autographs, memorabilia, take photo ops etc.

Fans would love to see them as people and the players don’t risk their livelihoods.

If an owner can protect his interest with such clauses as high risk activities,such as skydiving or motorcycle riding for example, (Roethlisberger, Winslow), to void a players’ Contract, what protection are they willing to offer each of these guys if a career ending injury occurs in a fluffy PR game in Hawaii?

Perhaps each guy that gets selected should be given a Lloyds of London Policy, at the owners’ expense?

When I attended the HOF Induction for Jerry with my kids several years ago, we had a blast meeting former 9ers, like Deese & Keena and, having photos taken with them.

Keep this charade of game off the air.
      No Pro Athlete wants to risk ruining a career in a meaningless game.
      The Bonus check is good of course, winner takes more is fine too but….
      Show them appreciation in other ways.

3. Alleykat says:

I still play an annual football game with my buddies,and we hit harder then the last Pro.Bowl game played.It’s a joke,watching these pussies play now,won’t be watching flag football this year!!!

Yeah, we used to play the family Stupor Bowl the day before the SB every year down in Aptos (I shoulda patented that name). Sometimes the teams had 14 players a side. It was always a drunken debacle, but the only major injuries were a few broken fingers . . . Great fun.

Yeah, the game is a sham, but a skills competition, as Bullit suggested, would be a snooze-fest extremo. Most players like golfing, so make it a pro-am, in Hawaii, with a meet and greet built in around it. Coprorate buy-in would be huge. Watching football players play shittygolf would be great. Much like the old Crosby Pro-Am at Pebble was (whatever it is they call it now).

I swear, Bullit reads something in the paper, calls it his own, and wants everyone to agree with him.

If he thinks players don’t want to go through the hassle of going to Hawaii to play a meaningless football game (let’s count the mystery injuries), who would go to throw footballs at targets? Or block sleds? What would the O and D line do? Lift weights? What about WRs? cath balls from the ball-throwing thingie? RBs?

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Unca Chuck

When they held the Pro Bowl in Miami the players asked for it to be moved back to Hawaii.
      The players insisted on it.
      The players take their wife and kids and make it a family vacation and a perk for making it to the Pro Bowl.
      Since when is it a “hassle” to vacation in Hawaii first class all expenses paid?

All pretense is out, eh? When I was at the pro bowl in 1998, it appeared to me that the players were on vacation, Vacation from the family, and the game. Tickets cost $10.00 cuz we waited until 15 minutes before the game started to buy them. We were 25 rows up on the 30 yard line.

When you are playing a completely meaningless game, it’s a hassle. Any play in football could be your last, and the ‘hassle’ of playing a game with little meaning, minus all the players in the Super Bowl, is pretty stupid. Think Brady’s hurt? Or Rodgers? No. Or 2/3 of the others that bailed? No.

I’d love to Go to a Pro Bowl just for the great vacation which I can’t actually afford. Hawaii is a blast but watch on TV? Naw.

7. philippinefan says:

Let’s get this Super Bowl on the air pronto. Any more time on his hands and Del mar is gonna wind up looking like Kaepernick:

Tattoo parlor offering $49 49ers tattoos

We have to WIN #6 next Sunday!
      If that happens, I’m getting inked again, at any cost here locally.
      History could be made, 6-0.

Sorry my friend, that’s where I draw the line (pun intended) when it comes to tats. It’s not that I have an aversion to needles, in fact, I ask my doctors to give me an extra injection just for good measure. But I digress…where the fuck was I? The 6th at Santa Anita is coming up. That tells me it’s time to start the gravy for my pasta tonight. Scatterbrains are us.
      BTW, good to see you’re feeling better. If I had to give my score prediction to Chuck, he’d file it under Pablo Sandoval’s taco meat choice for the night. I’m thinking mahi mahi fish tacos a la Bobby Flay. Bobby is a fan, owner and all around good contributor to the horse racing industry. Bob’s OK in my book.

I wouldn’t give a shit if they play a pro bowl or not. I probably haven’t watch one in 10 years.
    A pro-am? I’m guessing most of the players don’t play golf and wouldn’t want to show up at a course hacking away with all their fans laughing at them.
    Or maybe that’s not what you’re suggesting and I misunderstood it

Sorry. Listening to Peyton Manning talk to Michele Tafoya during the pregame at the Pro Bowl just confirms my belief. Rock solid. Peyton represents the NFL well. Very well. Class act . One last time…

Did we sign Peyton Manning yet?

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Del Mar Dennis

Will Peyton Manning be in uniform for Super Bowl 47? Alex Smith will.
      After next Sunday Alex Smith will have as many Super Bowl rings as Peyton Manning.

That is the most idiotic statement I’ve ever heard in my life. Alex Smith has the same amount of SB rings as Peyton Manning? You and any others who believe the veracity of that concept should be shot in the back of the head. You don’t even deserve to eat the bullet.

Thank God we didn’t. THe Niners would be in the shitter if they threw all that money on Manning.

Others are smarter than you Dennis. Heed us.

Chuck, STFU. Stop trying to right your, and ever others wrong on this subject. Alex Smith > Peyton Manning? That joke doesn’t even deserve a punchline. Whether you choose to believe Jimbo or not, he “pursued” Manning and wanted to sign him just as badly as I did. You and everyone else lost on this argument. Let it go. Just like Alex . He’s going…

Ha ha. Fuck you Dennis. You’re so fucking stupid you think that’s what my post is about. My post regards the fact that if the Niners signed Manning, they wouldn’t have signed Goldson or Brooks, or had the money to extend Bowman. Having Manning weakens the team everywhere down the line.

Piss and moan about poor Peyton, you fucking idiot, but guess what? It would have been disastrous if the Niners signed him. Alex? He’s rich beyond his wildest dreams, has a hot wife, and is an NFL quarterback who will be starting for someone next year. You are worse the Flying Vag and his incessant whining about the old days that he wasn’t even a part of. Grow up you fucking moron.

I sent Dennis one of my best cab’s to pay him for beating me in that bet. To me, it’s a closed issue. And it seems a bit “small” to still be talking about PM and AS. Who cares? They’re both watching the Super Bowl next Sunday. Just like us. But for us, no football fan could possibly have it better than us!!!!

Well, there exists the possibitlity that Alex Smith plays a part in this Super Bowl. Which is more than Peyton can say. There are fans in Denver shouting that Tebow did better last year than Manning did this year. That the move was a bad/dumb move.

Smith may yet get a ring, earned or not. Which, yes, Dennis, equals P Manning for rings.

Seriousy, Flav? Half the players play golf. If they don’t want to golf they schmooze with fans and corporate types and some fans on the beach.

Eli throws a pick 6 . . . !

• Flavor says:

Well, I don’t know about “half”. Oversized linemen and taut, muscular linebackers are not prone to a smooth, effective golf swing. Maybe the qb’s and some wr’s. Either way, almost all of those who play aren’t that good. They’d never go for it.
      But I do think fans would show up to watch a pro-am like that, the ATT is proof of that

One QB that is pretty good at the golf game is Romo.
      Considering he hasn’t gotten a sniff at the SB, he’s had plenty of time to work on his golf swing.

Douche.

Fantastic news: the Niners have landed safely in New Orleans. That rules out the plane crash possibilities.

Nice Maiocco article about George Seifert. Sorely underrated coach who was the architect of some outstanding defenses in the 80s. 1989 was Walsh’s but by 1994, that was Seifert’s team.

5 rings in all as DB coach, DC, and HC.

Amazing disinterest by half the players out there.

No football today. Man, the pm was a struggle. I watched about 3 minutes of Agassi playing Michael. Chang. I watched maybe 10 minutes of the Nick/Hawk game. That led me to wondering about the NBA slam dunk contest history so I googled that and then decided to google up on what JR Rider’s been up to since he retired. I watched an underwhelming Ray Lewis interview on ESPN. I saw a Spike Lee commercial that referenced Bernard King and I went back to find out who we traded him for…Michael Ray Richardson and a 5th round draft pick. God, I am just now wondering what a fifth round draft pick from the mid-eighties yielded….
    I took my kid to play some tennis and helped her with her homework, so the pm wasn’t a total loss.
    But goddammit, next Sunday couldn’t come soon enough…….

oh, and I read a facebook post from one of my friends that Eli threw a pick today. Fantastic. I loath all things *Manning*…….

Got that mf-ing lower control arm out of my daughter’s car, and replaced it. 45 minutes to a real mechanic is 3 hours for me.

Agassi/Chang? Sernior tennis tour?

I’m gonna watch the Packer game again.

18. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

It really ticks me off saying Alex Smith did not earn his ring if they win next Sunday.
    Let me jog your memory and remind you that the 49ers were 6-2-1 in the games Alex started.
    Needed every win to get this far.
    Damn right he earned his ring. Not his choice not to finish what he started.

Oh settle down, Bullit.

Alex earned shit. What he started? He started and completed eight years of misery that consumed my life while he was the 49ers’ starting QB. I can’t wait till that no good fucker is gone to Cleveland, Arizona, New York, or wherever the fuck he winds up. Bumfuck, Egypt for all I care. Fuck Alex Smith and the horse he rode in on.

If I tell you that kaepernick would have done better in those games, Buillit, how can you refute me?

Why we’re wasting time talking about Alex Smith, I’ll never know. Have you guys seen the new L’Oreal Lipstick Girl? She’s being featured on tonight’s SAG Awards commercials. Speechless. I’m without speech.

Put it this way Dennis. Would you rather be going into the Super Bowl with a feeb like Manning, or a young stud like Kaepernick? Go fuck yourself 50x, Dennis. You are a complete waste of fucking time.

Stop fucking changing the argument, Chuck. Kap has nothing to do with it. It was, and remains, a simple either or — Peyton Manning or Alex Smith for this past year? In all likelihood, Peyton will be named league MVP later this week. But you and others would rather have Alex Smith than the MVP. Stop. Listen to that statement again. Let it sink in. HELLO? You awake now? Jesus H. fucking Christ.

Debating with you whether the 49ers would have been better off this year with Alex Smith or Peyton Manning is almost as excruciating as watching the final of the Pro Bowl. 62-35 NFC.

• Irish Kevin says:

Dennis you are so full of shit it is pathetic, seriously, Manning chose Denver for one reason actually 6, Raiders, SanDiego, KC! Count them! Six easy wins!! Did any one of those teams beat Denver? I am too lazy to look.

Yes, I would rather have SMith than Manning because signing manning would have wasted the defense.

Manning made his bones this year playing in the worst division in the NFL. He plays a tough team and what? Bye bye. Half the ‘fans’ in Denver are now pissed that they got rid of Tebow.

First time watching the Pro Bowl in years. Low moment.

Couple of things: Colin Kaepernick was interviewed by Dan Patrick at halftime. Patrick was a douche. He was trying to get into Kaep’s head asking, “You’ve never been nervous? What about when you’re in the Super Bowl?” Patrick was persistent. Colin, though, to his credit, answered the question perfectly saying, “I haven’t been nervous in years – since I was a kid. But the Super Bowl definitely isn’t the place to be nervous.” Perfect answer. In addition, Kaep loves Favre because Favre “let it rip.” Gotta like that. I know who Favre is. I still like it. Let it rip, kid. Let it rip.

Champ Bailey was interviewed and asked who he likes in the Super Bowl. Champ didn’t say, but he did say SF needs to take away the deep ball. I don’t know if that’s easier said than done. But I do know that the Ravens haven’t played from behind in this year’s playoffs unless you think 13-7 at half against the Pats is playing from behind. My personal thought is that the Ravens can’t play from behind, and that the 49ers can – even if it’s the Baltimore defense. I could honestly see the 49ers blowing out the Ravens. I know I wrote that the Ravens would score in the 20’s, but if we get up on ’em and take away the deep ball, the Ravens are in trouble. Then again, I thought we’d destroy the Falcons…..

Niners left 10 points on the field against the Falcons. Crabs fumbled 6″ from a TD and Akers doink. Does 38-24 Niners sound more convincing a win Spit?

Eli said he wanted the Niners to win. It looked like he was choking when he said it though.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Fuck Eli Manning. Who gives a shit what he thinks?

WTF is your problem? You just hate any QB with the last name of Manning. You calling Eli a choke artist is like calling Picasso a guy who can’t draw inside the lines. We already established Peyton or Alex, are you telling me you’d rather have Alex > Eli? Motherless son of a fuck.

• Flavor says:

I’d rather have Kap over all of them. And you would too. Find a new platform, this one is staid…..

Fuck, Dennis. I’m revoking your fan card. You have the biggest hard on for Peyton and Eli. Root for them ya tool. Show me where I said Eli is better than Alex, you brainless feeb.

Dennis— The ONLY reason I made the bet with you is because I thought Manning was done. He couldn’t feel his fingers 3 months before training camp. I figured he’d get murdered in one of the first sacks he took. It didn’t happen, I was wrong, he came back just as good as before.
    But nowhere, ever, did I (or anyone else) ever suggest that Smith is better than Manning based on the back of their football cards.
    And Chuck’s point is totally valid. How could you ever want to be hamstrung by a 90 million dollar Manning deal, even if he was healthy, when you have the cheap, dominant (and better than Manning for this team at this point in the season) Colin Kaepernick?
    We are in the fucking Super Bowl, STFU and be happy. Alex contributed to that. You can hate it all you want, you hated it when he beat New Orleans almost by himself last year in the playoffs. But it’s a fact. We were 6-2-1 with Alex, and 7-2 with Colin.
    And because of both of them,we’re in the Super Bowl.
    Celebrate that and stop obsessing about your Peyton Manning fantasy………

Hey Chuck, is there any way to post that pic of those guys in Afganastan? You know the one I am talking about? That was way cool!

Yeah, I’ll post it tomorrow.

The Niners arrived safely in Nawlins. I added a pic of their plane up above.

Dennis, you Twin, and NoFear need to start your own blog where all the fuck you talk about is Alex Smith. All day, all the time, forever.

For the love of Christ. Chuck. Are you fucking kidding me? Let’s put are 49ers aside, because we’re both biased. If the other 31 teams had a choice to pick between Manning and Smith to be their QB for 2013, who do you think they would pick? Don’t you lie to me you motherfucker.

Screw the PRO BOWL!

Of course Smith wants to be released. That gives him the control. He has none while he’s under contract. He wants to go to AZ. They (well, Cleve is in good shape as well) are the best opportunity for him to come in and be successful. That is if they fix their O line. THe Niners can trade him wherever they find interest. This will be interesting come March. I guess they could release him before March and he gets his 1 mill, but why would they when there’s the possibility they can get something for him?

Dennis, at this point in their careers, I’d take Smith.

A loud BLEEP from the Chuck abode.

Smith has to agree to a trade, the Niners can’t just send him wherever they want.

I would be surprised if they release him, football is a business, nothing personal. Smith signed his contract and is getting paid and the Niners have an obligation to get the best trade they can for him to better the team when he is gone.

I still think a 3rd and maybe a late round pick is market value. His next contract should be similar money and terms to his last except guaranteed for 2 years not 1. I doubt he get’s offered over 10 mil a year.

Most guy’s see Smith as a solid QB who will be a bridge to the next franchise QB. I agree with that view. He can make some teams better right away, but is not a franchise QB for the future as evidenced by Harbaugh replacing him with Kap mid winning season.

I want the Niners to get whatever they can for him and wish him well at his next team. For all the bad history, and place blame as you choose, Smith was the QB that brought the niners back to relevancy. Yes it was a strong team and coaching staff, but Smith was the QB and there is no getting around that.

He also could have made this transition very difficult, but he didn’t, and for that alone he deserves kudos.

Sorry Chuck, what was that you were saying about Smith topics again?

I try not to talk abut him, but he’s like a virus that no one can escape . . .

Beyond all the bullshit aroound how Smith was treated, the Niners made him wealthy beyond his wildest dreams. Many times over. Yes, he’s been a stand-up guy, but in the end, yes, it’s a business, and if they work a deal for the Jets, well who knows? I’d run for the hills if that was me . . .

New thread is up . . .

33. Alleykat says:

Ray Lewis suspected of using “Antler-velvet extract steroid during his recovery for his torn bicep.
    Say Dennis…Did you hook up Ray at Antlers Pub for this?