So, What Do You Think?

Maybe I’ve got the scarlet-red-colored sunglasses on, but I think the Niners will win this going away. Much like the GB game, I think the Niners impose their will on Baltimore. Yes, they are tough, but I think our team speed will wear down Batimore in the end, and the Niners coast to a victory.  Baltimore is getting long in the tooth and I think we will run them ragged.

I’m going with 31-20. I think our offense can run on Baltimore, and if so, then the passing game opens wide. I also think our D line will eventually get to Flacco and he’ll make a critical mistake. Contain Rice, and I think we can slow their passing game to the point of frustration. Baltimore has also been burned by big returns on both kickoffs and punts, so I think the Niners have an advantage on special teams as well. That is, if it doesn’t come down to a FG. The David Akers saga is one I care not to think about too much, but at least Akers is perfect on extra points. I guess the hope is if he lines up for a FG, the Niners are dead center on the field. He seems to do fine from there.

35 Responses to So, What Do You Think?

Sounds good to me Chuck. Part of “run on them” includes Kap who has become an integral part of the run game.

I agree with all of this except Balt’s final score. In 3 of our 5 sb’s the losing team has had a 6 in the ones place. You can get sweet odds on a final number ending with a 6. I’m taking Balt scoring 6/16/or26. Planning on laughing all the way to the bank….

The NFL is trying desperately to fix the Pro Bowl in Hawaii. Peyton and Eli are out saying, “This is a privilege, we need to do better.” Aaron Rogers is out saying, “There were a lot of guys who embarrassed themselves last year.” Roger Goodell is saying all the wrong things…. as usual. Interesting that quarterbacks are out saying we need to be more physical in the Pro Bowl.

Here’s how you fix the Pro Bowl. First off, you don’t put it the week before the Super Bowl. Dumb idea. You want the Super Bowl players there. Secondly, it doesn’t have to be a game. If the NFL made it a two day skills competition in Hawaii, complete with interviews and guys joking around, there it is. Sure, guys could get hurt but injury in a skills competition isn’t as likely as in playing in an actual game.

I haven’t watched a Pro Bowl in years. But I would watch a skills competition between Brady and Manning….. Colin Kaepernick and Aaron Rogers or Drew Brees. I’d watch a strongest man competition or a tackling drill. So the skills competition would be a combo of the old qb contests, the TV show gladiator, and the strongest man competitions. I’d also make it mandatory. No backing out. But then again, Roger Goodell doesn’t have my brainpower.

Wasn’t it Robert Edwards of the Pats back in the day Spit, that tore up his knee playing a game of Flag Football on the beach at the Pro Bowl?
      Been a while, 90s?
      Owners can write player contracts that void for high risk activities off the field, skydiving, motorcycles etc.
      Players don’t want to risk injury in a meaningless game.
      They sure like the bonus check though.

Until a player can be guaranteed some sort of insurance against a career threatening injury I don’t see anyway this game continues.

Get some coverage from Lloyds of London perhaps?

Have them participate in a Fan Forum at Disney World or something.
      Charge admission if you must. I assume the Pro Bowl ticket isn’t free?

Sign autographs, memorabilia, take pictures, mingle and play nice with the Fans.
      Give the paying public a chance to see their favorite players in the flesh.
      No pads, no contact, no injuries.
      That will provide plenty of PR too.

What do I think about Super Bowl Sunday? I’m going with a ’97 Silver Oak Cab courtesy of Flav. Other than that, I haven’t made up my mind. Food, score prediction or otherwise.

• Flavor says:

Dennis– enjoy the cab, you earned it by demolishing me in our bet. What are you planning to eat with it?

Flavor is a stand up guy!

Flav, my first inclination was a nice steak — rib eye, NY or filet mignon . Take your pick. But I haven’t had lamb in awhile. I’m thinking some lamb chops, French of course, extra rare (think Hannibal Lector) with some au gratin potatoes and asparagus with Béarnaise sauce.
        “Don’t be saucy with me, Bearnaise.”

• Flavor says:

Sounds good. Eat dinner early so you can still enjoy the cab before the booze imbibed during the game kicks in 🙂

That’s the plan. I believe kickoff is set for about 3:30 our time, so I hope to have the chops cleaned to the bone and the Silver Oak bottle cleaned bone dry so I can give my full attention to Chuck’s blog from start to finish. I know you guys wouldn’t want to miss a minute of my in-game commentary. 😀

Coming up in the 3rd at SA the #5 horse is HANDSOME DENNIS.
    I keep telling ’em to stop naming horses in my honor, but they just won’t listen. 😀

dennis – you had to lay a little on him, how did he do?

Winder, Dennis broke a bit slow, but finished five wide with a flourish to finish third and paid $10.60 to show at 20/1. I haven’t bet a horse to show since Reagan was in office. Come to think of it. Reagan should still be in office, and if Ronnie were, I still wouldn’t bet a horse to show.

10 Keys to the Super Bowl:
    1.) The front seven needs to sack Flacco.
    2.) Kaep needs to get more plays out of I formation, running sweeps and pulling guards and tackles.
    3.) Defend Boldin in the air. Boldin is slow, but he’s a beast. Boldin isn’t going to outrun anyone. Ever notice that Boldin doesn’t break away and run for 60 yards? He isn’t explosive with his feet, but he is powerful in the air. Hitting Boldin to knock the ball loose doesn’t work because of his size. So you have to defend the ball in the air. Flacco throws the ball up high to Boldin in the end zone. Anticipate it.
    4.) Don’t let Akers kick anything outside 35 yards. Akers’ ball is slicing to the left, which is hard to control. Inside the 35 won’t hurt.
    5.) Four down territory from the 35-15. Why not? Going for it is more aggressive. If you give the ball up on the 30, it’s just like a punt. Let your players know. This isn’t time to coddle Akers.
    6.) Design very few read option plays where Kaep runs the football. If he does run, get out of bound or get down. Instead of running, fake the handoff and then drop back to pass.
    7.) Create smarter screens. Fake, fake and fake again. Fake the quick throw to Crabtree, then fake the handoff, then fake the pressure/scramble, then throw a screen to James.
    8.) No partying. Deion hated SF because Rice kept the team too tight. Keep the team tight. Curfew, watch movies, rest your body. No nightclubs, hotels or parties. The work isn’t done yet.
    9.) Get off to a fast start. Coming back from 17, and overcoming Kaep’s INT for a TD against the Packers gives us confidence, but it’s obviously not the ideal. Blitz early. Throw deep to Moss early. Don’t get desperate, but set the tone with aggressive play calling early.
    10.) Special teams – when on the road, pack your special teams and defense. The kicking team will be fine if we don’t ask Akers to kick anything too long. Cover kicks. Watch the fakes. Coaches love to call surprise onside kicks in big games. Cower and McCarthy both tried onside kicks in the Super Bowl – both worked. Beware of the onside kicks and the fake punts. Ginn and James will be fine returning kicks. The way the Ravens cover kicks, Ginn and or James could get a big return in this game.
    11.) I know it’s top ten, but I just had to throw this one in there – trick plays. Nothing gets a defense on its heals quicker than a few trick plays – the ole’ flea flicker? Even if it doesn’t work, it makes the defense stay home and that could lead to bigger plays underneath. And we can beat ’em man to man underneath. Keep the safety on his heals.

• Winder says:

I like it. I just have one thing on my list: execute, execute, and no mistakes. I guess that’s two things

• Spitblood says:

The Flea Flicker would be to target Ed Reed’s over-aggressiveness. Make Reed play back on his heals. Dashon Goldon bit on an underneath route to Gonzo and let Jones go. From then on, Goldson wasn’t coming up to make a big hit or looking for the INT. The big play over his head made Goldson play conservative. Do the same to Ed Reed. Personally, even though Goldson was a disaster in the first quarter and he figured it out the rest of the way helping us to win the game, I like a gambler in the secondary….. on our team. I don’t like a gambler on the other team like Reed. Sure, I know it could mean a blown coverage and an easy touchdown, but I’m not afraid of that with Kaep at the helm. We bounced back from a quick INT for a TD, and we overcame a 17pt deficit. With Alex Smith, no gambling please. But with Kaep, I want Goldson to play loose and take chances. Conversely, I want Ed Reed to be embarrassed so he’s not looking for the big INT. Unlike the 49ers, I don’t think Flacco can play from behind…. as much. Two words: Flea Flicker. And sure, I know the corner will be covering Moss in man to man, and I know if it’s zone, the safety will see the pitch and probably still be in position. But I still want Moss on Reed early. Randy doesn’t have a Super Bowl ring. For all the garbage circling about Ray’s last dance and Gonzo’s 95%, what about Moss? Maybe there’ve been times when Moss didn’t go all out, but this Super Bowl won’t be one of them. You put the ball up high to Moss and he’ll come down with it. He needs a career defining reception. He knows it. He’ll show up big. I just have a feeling.

I agree Spit.
        Randy gets a RING!
        Let them focus on Kaep and Vernon, sneak LMJ into the flat and see Ray try to deal with him in space.

Our youth and Team speed have to come up big in this one.
        Snuff Pitta and make sure Ray Rice doesn’t get going.
        Can’t waste this opportunity.

The Thanksgiving game last year was all about Rachal and Alex not getting anything accomplished against their pass rush.
        Different story this time around I suspect.
        They have to spy Kaep and keep him contained, which could allow some short dump offs to the edges.
        Hoping Roman has something special for this game.
        As he remarked earlier in the year, have that Ace under your leg and drop it on them when warranted.

Where the fuck is Phil? The last recorded comment I can find of his is > 72 hrs. ago. I think that coconut internet connection of his may have got the better of him. Phil needs to come back if for nothing else than to record my 49er Super Bowl prediction.

Can you say pins and needles? Not!

I’m not a huge UFC fan, but I love seeing someone getting their clocked clean. I’m watching the title bout live from Chi Town on FOX. Hit Somebody! Roger Goodell is making that a thing of the past in the NFL.

New
    Females only
    League

Super Bore except to Niner fans. No to the Pro Bowl…. an abomination is defined by this Bowl.

Watching the Dubs gm in Milw (caught some of last nights game) and they are much better this year than in previous years. But their record is disguising who they really are: they’re a 7/8 seed, maybe 6. If Bogut can’t play this year it’s gonna be “1 and done” in the playoffs.
    And after winning the World Series, the rose bowl and….well that just won’t do. 🙂

Akers ain’t slicing. His aim is off.

Curry is the man but his constant gnawing on his mouth piece has passed annoying and now it’s just weird…

12th sorry, I posted a reply to you on the previous thread.
    I’m going to venture a 24-13 Niner win.
    Looking for us to ‘out quick’ them.

As Spit eluded to, I too would like to see a game plan involving the short screen game to keep RayRay moving laterally and slowing the anticipated pass rush pressure.
    Get on the edges, LMJ, Frank, Bruce too.
    Kaep will no doubt take his deep shots to keep them guessing too.

Spread them, screen them, work them sideline to sideline.
    They’re an older Defense in some key areas and we need to utilize our speed.
    Crossing routes all day to wear Ray out.

Randy gets a RING!

15. Super Bowl Scoring Challenge Niners VS da Ravens. Step right this way gentlemen and lay ’em down. Who you gonna call?

Twinfan: 17-16 Niners. Well, it will be closer still in 2 weeks… 3 or less. I have it 17-16 Niners but I’m hating how the kicker deal has been handled. It was way late before they brought in competitors. Anybody remember that guy who was working at a bar like a week before the Falcons signed him and he kicked 5 FGs or so to win a MNF game?

Grumpy Guy: 28-27, 49ers. With these teams (49ers and Ravens), both want to run, to get some big plays in the air, and beat the holy fuck out of you with their defense. I think we are *slightly* better, but it’s close. They weren’t right much of the year with Suggs and Lewis hobbled but that’s over. I’ll make my call now – a very close game, but we’ll squeak through. 28-27, 49ers.

Nipper: Niners will take another one 35-31. They will not need Akers.

12th man: Niners win by 2 scores. Niners are better than the Ravens across the board. Spit mentioned old slow LB and to an extent he has it right, he didn’t take into account that Brady is a statue and even Ray Ray can pressure given enough time.
    Kap is no such animal, Niners will be balanced at the QB position, I think we will see him run and throw, a mixture of the Falcons/Packers games mixing it up, add Gore/LMJ and the Ravens are out gunned. Look for Crabs to reappear too. Flacco is a top tier QB, but like Rodgers he can’t win from the bench. Niners by 10-14 points.

barleyfreak: 21-17, Niners. The Ravens have a good OL. But I think when the chips are down, we are the hardest team in football to run against. I have a shit ton of respect for Ray Rice — he’s dangerous. But I think we contain him and keep their rushing mostly snuffed. This game smells low scoring. The casual fan may be disappointed, for it sets up as a slug fest. I see some big hits, personal fouls, blood, snot and vomit. 21-17, Niners.

Spitblood: If the 49ers blitz Flacco a lot, 38-24, Niners. If the 49ers rush 4 most of the time, 38-30. I don’t know if I see a low scoring Super Bowl. You can run on the Ravens. Ballard 91, Hillman 83, Ridley 70 (before he was knocked out of the game). Those guys aren’t Gore and James. You setup the run and then it opens up the pass, obviously. I think the 49ers score in the high 30s. The Ravens score comes down to pressure. Aldon not having to chip or jam Gonzo could mean more pressure, but I still think the 49ers will need to blitz Boldin…. a lot. If the 49ers blitz Flacco a lot, 38-24, Niners. If the 49ers rush 4 most of the time, 38-30

NJ49er: Let’s say 24-13 Niners. We have to use our speed to win this one.
    Our Defense is younger and faster than theirs. Our Offense is capable of beating their LBs. Another situation like we saw in Atlanta. Work the crossing stuff and keep RayRay moving laterally. He won’t cover the likes of Vernon or Delanie. Get Frank, LMJ and Bruce into the pass routes too. LMJ in the open field is something I want to see. This all comes down to handling their pass rush and not giving up sacks. Perhaps spreading them out could prove to be profitable? See what Jim and Roman cook up for the fast indoor track. Looking for us to ‘out quick’ them. Be nice if we could get something in the way if production from AJ too, since no one has seen him do anything all year. He could prove to be the secret weapon we hope he should be.
    Get on the edges, LMJ, Frank, Bruce too. Kaep will no doubt take his deep shots to keep them guessing too. Spread them, screen them, work them sideline to sideline.
    They’re an older Defense in some key areas and we need to utilize our speed.
    Crossing routes all day to wear Ray out. Randy gets a RING!

Chuck: I’m going with 31-20. I think our offense can run on Baltimore, and if so, then the passing game opens wide. I also think our D line will eventually get to Flacco and he’ll make a critical mistake. Contain Rice, and I think we can slow their passing game to the point of frustration. Baltimore has also been burned by big returns on both kickoffs and punts, so I think the Niners have an advantage on special teams as well. That is, if it doesn’t come down to a FG.

Phil: 28-24 Niners. Close but da Niners get the cigar for #6

Thanks, Phil. Glad you’re feeling better.

Next week at this time I’ll be a complete and utter nervous wreck.
    Today? I’m feeling pretty good. I’m just my usual nervous wreck.

Dennis Dennis Dennis.