Week XIII – Woolite TIme

I’m sure you guys don’t remember that old Woody Allen movie that had Gene Wilder drinking Woolite at the end of it. Not sure how these guys tied us at out house and then proceed to lose in their house to the lowly Jets, but that’s football. Some teams match up well with others, some just get your number that day.

And, seeing as that last Ram game very well may be the last start of Alex Smith’s 49er career,  at least he went out on a good note. His last throw was a TD to Michael Crabtree, and his last game and 1/3 he was 25-27 for 304 yards and 4 TDs. Anyhow, I’m not here to bury Alex, but to praise him. Or is it the other way around?

This does however, for all intents and purposes, appear to be the start of the Colin Kaepernick era no matter what Jim Harbaugh says. My thought is the Niners come out and try their new QB out and go a little more pass happy. Some of this is due to Kendall Hunter being out, but some of this is due to just getting the kid some more work. They need to get Cappy up to speed for the playoffs and we have 5 games to get this right.

I hope this isn’t going to be as crappy as the last Ram game, but I seriously don’t think the Niners let this one get away.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

527 Responses to Week XIII – Woolite TIme

1. Grumpy Guy says:

Kap finished 8-19-42% on third down. Bradford 3-16-19%. But with our inability to run, putting ourselves in deep third down holes with penalties and unproductive downs, it wasn’t enough.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Those are team numbers of course, but most of our conversions seemed to be throwing on third and long today. We had 11 first downs total passing, only 6 rushing.

2. grop says:

Historically, teams that went from so-so to playoffs in one year, tend to fall off the next year. Maybe next year.

• Grumpy Guy says:

8-3-1 is not a terrible ‘fall off’. The season is not over yet, we just need to come back and play and coach better the rest of the way. It’s still going to come down to which team is hot in January.

• Flavor says:

exactly. And if our shitty kicker makes two make-able field goals in the Ram games we’re 10-2. Hardly a *fall off*…..

• Grumpy Guy says:

Akers is not going to be reliable this year. Whether he’s hurt, or just in a funk, you cannot put a game on his shoulders right now. Either stop trying 50-yarders, or get someone else.

3. ewisco says:

I wonder how Vernon feels about the handcuffs/shackles now?

4. IH1972 says:

Not enough blame going to Akers. He’s cost us both games against the Rams. Harbaugh/Roman called a shit game, but we had a chance to win and Akers fucking choked!

• Grumpy Guy says:

Yeah, but EVERY-fucking-one in the universe knew that, except JH and GR. No way they should have played for a long FG knowing the slump he is in.

If Akers is still here next week for the Fish, that’s another reason to string up Harbaugh on the flag pole. If you think they brought in Billy Cundiff and Nate Keating last week because Akers is hurt, you’re more gullible than I thought. They were trying to light a fire under Akers ass and apparently they didn’t use enough gasoline.

Bring in Eddie D. to give Akers the Marc Trestman treatment…”He’s gone!”

6. IH1972 says:

There were games like this last year and Akers bailed them out. Not this year though. He was released by Philly for the same shut he’s pulled this year. Also, no Hunter hurt them today. Why not try LMJames, all other RB options appear to be shit

7. twinfan1 says:

Akers was 2 for 3, with the miss from over 50. That’s not a choke.The three plays preceding it were the problem.GG is right so I’m elevating him to a B+ for today. I know he doesn’t want a good grade from me, but I’m evil, so he gets one anyway.

• Flavor says:

bullshit. When your opposing kicker is nailing a 53 to send it to overtime and 54 to win it, you are damn well expected to hit your 50 yarder–otherwise, you fucking choked. And Ackers has a huge leg so the distance was not an issue.
      And he missed a 41 yarder to win it in the last Ram game.
      And he’s kicked like shit all year.
      Fuck him………

• Grumpy Guy says:

Twin… YOU BASTARD!!! I’ll get you for this. Someday. Maybe. Or not. Meh.

• twinfan1 says:

Making a 50+ yarder is clutch, missing it is tough but no choke. Again, the awful 3 plays preceding it were the bigger problem. You don’t rely on a guy who has been poor all year to make a 50+ yarder. The 41 WAS a choke.
      IMFO

• Grumpy Guy says:

With Janoris Jenkins playing CB somewhere in Nebraska, giving up 6 or 7 free cushion yards a play, I would have thrown in front of him two out of three plays in OT until he showed he was going to stop it. It was an opportunity we did not exploit enough.

Once again we were outcoached by Fisher. God I hate the stinking Rams. We just couldn’t adjust to their D.
    Definite sucky game

Im not worried about the Niners. They had another rotten game against a team that spends half their time scheming against them. I picked them at 11-5, with a letdown in turnover diff and special teams (the best in the NFL last year). They’re on pace for that.
    Congratulations to the Kansas City Chiefs.
    Congratulations to Andrew Luck and his 75 yard drive in a 1:12 against a team and a coach I despise. He almost beat his receiver into the endzone on the winning play with no time left, preparing to block if he needed to cut back. 8-4 Indy Colts.
    Good times tomorrow night. The Skins and RG III aren’t out of the playoffs yet.
    You see Charlie Batch right now? I’m not worried about the Niners except for Hunter being out. That hurts.

• NoFear49er says:

Let’s hope Gore didn’t get hurt. That Jacobs pick up was a mistake. Dixon brings as much as Jacobs. Would have liked to have seen the Duck in there for a few today.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Jacobs looked okay until he got hurt. Now he has two months of rust on him, and looks slow and old.

10. twinfan1 says:

Seattle’s win, with rookie Wilson carving up the Bear defense, makes this no longer a gimme to take the division. Definitely need what should be a win next week before the NE and Seattle road games.

• Flavor says:

yup. And their 0-3 in the division doesn’t really factor in since we have the tie in our record. And that Seattle game is in Seattle…..Could get awfully interesting if we lose to Miami. Shit, if Sea wins their next two games (v Arizona and Buffalo) then they control their own destiny if we lose to either Miami or NE, right?

And fuck all the RG3 jackoffs and ESPECIALLY FUCK YOU to Phil Sims who didn’t think Luck could make the NFL throw—you don’t know SHIT, Sims…….

• rtfirefly says:

Seen RG III play this year, or heard him speak to the media? The guy is freakin’ awesome, but I wrote last year that Luck was the best QB I’d seen in the draft in years.
      You have your opinion; I have mine. I’m watching Peyton right now rip it up against a team which was on the road to the playoffs. Not anymore.

• Flavor says:

yes I’ve seen him play this year, he’s very good. And, um, have I heard him *speak to the media*? WTF is that?
        I love people who highlight the communication skills of black pro athletes as long as they don’t sound like a Lil’ Wayne or someone from the Jerry Springer show. You don’t hear too many people say “hey, how ’bout Luck’s communication skills!”
        RG3 is obviously a smart person, Stanford almost recruited him over Luck, but there’s no need to highlight the way he speaks to the media. That’s almost disrespectful to RG3 to say that (and borderline racist)…….

• rtfirefly says:

He is a QB. You have to be smart and able to communicate, especially when the team on which you’ve been drafted, the SB Champ HC makes you the starter to help fix his team.
        BTW, how has RG III done on the field this year?
        Borderline racist? Get a fucking life, Flavor. What color is RG III? I honestly didn’t notice until you just wrote that I should.

• Flavor says:

as I said, you don’t hear anyone blathering on about the fabulous communication skills that Luck possesses.
        And maybe I’m misreading your post, but if you’re trying to tell us that you didn’t know RG3 is black, you’ve either never watching him play or you don’t follow football.

• rtfirefly says:

When did I ever on any blog mention a QB’s race or ethnicity on any blog?
        Ask NoFear about my brother’s retired Lt. General father-in-law. Do you know what race he is?
        Do you know what race I am? I have posted that. About 1/16 Iroquois. That’s my clue to you.
        I’m finished with you and discussing race. But calling me a racist is simply the stupidest insult I have ever gotten on these blogs. At least Mike and Dennis make good points and are damned funny at times.

What did Peyton just do? Throw an INT into triple coverage.
    Kappy made a horrible quick decision on the pitchout to Ginn. I’d much rather see playmakers trying to make plays than rely on any kicker.
    Just my football philosophy. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

13. twinfan1 says:

Was AZ-NYJ the Alex Bowl.? Talk about a sniff test, that game even stinks over here.. wait a minute., Zeke farted..

Nothing wrong with RG III. Luck is doing great. Sims? Yeah, fuck him. He’s been wrong on just about everything that comes out of his mouth.

If the Niners lose to Miami, the season may be lost. The clamor to put Alex back in would be deafening. Going to Seattle on a 2 game losing streak is a recipe for disaster.

That being said, I don’t think the Niners lose to Miami.

I just don’t get why the Rams make both our lines look so fucking bad.

The killer really was penalties. And Walker’s drop.

• twinfan1 says:

There were plenty of killers- but the Ram TD off the, whaddya call it- the, uh, bad thingie, can’t be not mentioned. It was the baddest thingie of the year. It was so bad that blaming Kap, Jimbo, Roman, and Ginn is not enough. No need to go on-it was worse than this commercial

Ed Reed is the best safety I’ve ever seen play. I don’t watch too many Baltimore games, usually I just catch a little bit of them if I’m in a sports bar, but every time I watch Baltimore play that dude is making some sick, acrobatic interception.
    We have the Ravens/Steelers forced on us here because the Raiders can’t sell tickets. It’s actually quite an entertaining game……….

• NoFear49er says:

It’s like a turnover festival in there.

• Grumpy Guy says:

I have in-laws in Maryland, so I have. Reed is special. Ppl who talk about Dashon as the next Reed don’t know what they are saying. Goldson has light years to go to get to that level as far as playing the ball in the air. Reed is a bonafide first-year HOFer, IMHO.

• Grumpy Guy says:

But I still prefer Lott over Reed as best safety ever. Homer call, and also Lott played the position like a warrior. I admire that.

After Greg Roman gets a HC job next year and Norv Turner gets fired by the Chargers, I submit we bring back Norv to be our OC. He sucks as a HC, but he makes for a very good offensive coordinator.

But the buck stops with Jimbo. He has the final say on all play calls. Jesus Christ could resurrect Bill Walsh to be our OC, but Harbaugh would still squash his offensive genius with his conservative bullshit.

This is all Harbaugh’s fault.

• Flavor says:

“This is all Harbaugh’s fault”
      If you mean he’s responsible for turning this franchise around and giving you something to do with your life on Sunday’s then you’re right, it’s his *fault*.
      Or were you happier with the Erickson/Nolan/SIng regimes?
      I know, I know, it’s *super bowl o bust* for you. Losses are unacceptable. If we lose, kill everyone and fire the head coach. Such a mature approach from a *fan*.
      Christ, a team of psychologists from Vienna should be brought together to study you………

RTFireFly:
    First of all, I didn’t call you racist. Either you’re too dumb to read or you didn’t read my post. And apparently, you didn’t know that RG3 is black though you claim to have watched a bunch of his games this year. Huh. Interesting.Anyway, at worst I was suggesting you’re insensitive. Get over it.
    Secondly……1/16th Iroquois? WTF is the point in saying that? Shit, I might be 1/16th Iroquois, I’ve never actually checked the family tree………
    Look dude, saying that a black athlete is articulate is a COMMON mistake that many people make when trying to give a prop to a black athlete (or an athlete where English is a 2nd language). It’s a back handed compliment.
    It’s like saying, “wow, that black athlete sure is articulate. What a surprise. I think I’ll give him a pat on the back for that!”

• rtfirefly says:

Here you go with the racism charge again. What is fucking wrong with you? Seriously, get help.
      I don’t rate QBs on what race they are. I don’t look, don’t care.
      BTW, who has RG III on the UFO Coyotes? Who rated him a little while ago as one of the top QBs in the league? Guess I’m going to have to check every player’s race, rather than their education, talent, and guts from now on.
      According to you. I refuse to do it.

I’m already looking forward to the AFC Championship game. Peyton Manning vs Tom Brady.
    That’s my fucking wet dream watching those two QB’s play…

• Flavor says:

I thought it was Tony Romo and Drew Brees? Oops? What happened to your wet dream about those 2? Idiot……..

How many TDs did Alex Smith throw from the bench today to help you win our bet?
        Who’s the idiot?

• Flavor says:

and by the way, your dumb ass just exposed yourself as a phony Niner fan. So your *wet dream* in the super bowl is two teams playing each other who aren’t the Niners? Ha, I fucking KNEW it!!!!!!!!!!

• Flavor says:

and saying they both play in the AFC so it couldn’t actually happen is not going to save you

• Flavor says:

and now I see you said AFC Championship game….Go ahead and go off, I deserve it for not reading your post carefully enough

• Flavor says:

IN fact, as a punishment for mis-reading your post and going off on you, I will let you make one negative Alex Smith post on my blog as long as it’s not a death threat…….

How can Manning and Brady play each other in the Super Bowl? You’ve really lost it. Flav, that Alex Smith bet has sent your ass spiraling down the drain. Too bad Alex Smith couldn’t throw a spiral like you’re spinning now. He still might have a starting job.

• Flavor says:

I posted all of this before your 4:29pm, I hope you saw that and accept my apology. As I said, feel free to post a -Alex Smith post at the Flap (as long as it’s not a death threat). That *almost* qualifies as a wet dream for you, right dude?

• twinfan1 says:

Purdy says Alex was a fine teammate, and consulted with Kap on the sidelines. That explains the fuck up on the pitch to Ginn. He told Colin to just flip the ball anywhere, he’d be there for him.

Seriously. You bet on Alex Smith > a 4x MVP and SB MVP. WTF were you thinking?

• Flavor says:

I’ve told you 50 times, I was betting on him getting hurt and knocked out. He couldn’t feel his fingers in June, it was a pretty good bet for me if you look at it that way……

Oh, boy. How about everybody shut the fuck up?

Shitty game. Stupid play calling. Bad officiating. Cappy with the horrible pitch. .

• Flavor says:

Hey Chuck, I have to deal with this after every loss the Giants have. How many is that a year, 65? 75? You have to deal with it a few times a year. The natives get restless after a loss. Of course, after a win we all celebrate how articulate the natives are……..

Game over. Get over it.

I don’t know why, but I’m really happy that KC won today. Terrible tragedy what took place yesterday, but one needs to remember…Belcher is a murderer. He killed a young woman and left a young child w/o any parents. Our society stinks on ice. I sure in the hell hope the Mayans are right come 12/21. That will solve all our problems…

Rivers doesn’t even care anymore. That whole offense should be exploded.

Fucking Norv lost again. This time at home to the Bengals. That makes four straight L’s for Turner. Not going to rag on his opponent today, Bengals are headed to the playoffs. Good for them. I like their gingerbread QB, Andy Dalton. I was hoping we drafted him. Cincy snatched him a few picks ahead of us, and then we moved up to take Kap. I think both clubs are happy with how things are working out at the moment…

Hey, Chuck. Over 450 comments on your blog today. That’s great. I know I’m a pain in the ass sometimes, but your effort is always appreciated. You know that.

Merry Christmas

I had 600 last week. I think the early start left you guys lagging.

1) Eli Manning
    2) Peyton Manning
    3) Tom Brady
    4) Aaron Rodgers
    5) Andrew Luck
    6) RG III
    7) it seems to go down in a big hurry from here – Matt Schaub
    8-32) The rest of the pack, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton and Josh Freeman are in there somewhere. So are Kappy and Alex.
    33) Big Ben though I should’ve left him off the list on principle.
    157) Mark Sanchez – Jake Plummer you’ve been retired for 6 years and you’re still better than this putz.
    ?) Matty Ice. Lead your team to a playoff win, any playoff win just once, and let’s have lunch.

• rtfirefly says:

I left out Drew Brees by oversight. Put him in the top 7.

• Flavor says:

at least you didn’t sue QB rating as a way to put the list together. So is Luck #5 ahead of RG3 because I ragged on you or do you actually believe it? Cause he’s about 30 pts off RG3 in QB rating…..

*use* not *sue*.
        Sorry, I was listening to Johnny Cash’s *A Boy Named Sue* when I was typing this and…oh whatever, I just fucked up. One of many today…….

• rtfirefly says:

I watched him play and get coached up at Stanford. I watched him go 75 in 1:12 today to put the team on his shoulders for the win. The Colts are 8-4 after last year?
        RG III is great, too, and the future of the NFL.
        Give me either guy and you’ll never hear me complaining.
        But watching Peyton today was just ridiculous. He’s already the OC, and now he’s helping the DC at halftime.
        What’s wrong with the Niners O-line? Enthusiasm. Watch Peyton or Luck or RG play one game and you’ll see what’s wrong with the Niners at the moment.
        Won’t last long. The Niners will be fine.

I don’t think I have to ask, but I still need confirmation as to why you rank Eli #1. He’s won two Super Bowls in the past five years. No other QB can say that. Eli’s number #1 in that group. Can’t argue that. You know my favorite line ever said to an Eli? I bet you have an idea…
      “Drainage! Drainage, Eli, you boy. Drained dry. I’m so sorry. Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that’s a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake… I… drink… your… milkshake! “

Frank just woke up. Now I’m in trouble. Good thing Harbaugh isn’t here because he’d eschew the Fancy Feast and go with the Friskies. Frank don’t play that. “There Will Be Blood.”

• rtfirefly says:

Why do I rank Eli #1? What has he done in January and February the last 5 years?

• Flavor says:

Eli has been money in his 2 SB’s but I wouldn’t build a team around him—that is, if I was told I could pick a QB out of a hat and build my team around him
        Only considering health and age, my top 6 current QB’s who I would pick to build a team around TODAY would go…..
        Luck, Rodgers, Stafford, Schaub, RG3. and Ryan…….maybe Cam Newton and Bradford would round out the top 8 though I would be super bummed that I was building my team around either of those dudes…….

• Grumpy Guy says:

Stafford is a mess right now, Flavor. I’d take Kaep or Dalton or even an aging Brees before him. Cam is a punk, and I’m not sure that can be cured. Bradford has arm limitations. The others I agree on.

• Flavor says:

yeah, I was just looking at their ages and health but I hear you on Stafford. And I always thought Can Newton was going to suck and was surprised he did so well last year. 2012 looks like it might be more reflective of his future. I’d take out those two and put in some combo of Alex Smith, Kap and/or Daulton (and maybe even Tanehill if he takes some big strides).

• twinfan1 says:

Mess or not, Stafford has to be on a list of top young QBs to build around, IMO. Luck, Griffin,I still like Freeman, and Dalton round out my top 5 youngters.In order it would be Luck, Griffin, Stafford, Dalton, Freeman

• rtfirefly says:

Stafford had those 2 throwing arm separations in his first two years. Alex times 2.
        Young QBs for the Niners to build upon for the future I don’t know. I’m just rooting for a Niners-Broncs game in February in N’awllins.

• twinfan1 says:

I know about Stafford’s injuries, RT.I wasn’t talking about QBs for the Niners, though. I thought that was Colin.Isn’t it?

• rtfirefly says:

I’m an anybody but Alex, guy, Twin. You know that.
        Is Kappy the starter after now? Hell yeah. You don’t corral a great young horse because he bucked once. You ride him.
        But seriously, Twin, after watching Peyton today, don’t get on me too hard for my old idea of the old warhorse and the young buck. Shit, for an old crippled 36 year old that was the best game of football I’ve ever seen a QB play.

Sorry I have to leave you guys, but I have to go adorn the community room with Christmas decor. I’m the de facto activities director at our little apartment complex. Red and green is nice, but I prefer red and gold.

Merry Christmas

32. B says:

Dennis: didn’t you post here once how you got arrested defending the niners or some such? It was hilarious, can you repost?

33. twinfan1 says:

There’s already second guessing all over the web about the QB decision. Smih never should have been replaced, but with the deed done, Colin gets more time than this.And I’m sure he’l get it. A little.

• Flavor says:

well, I think what you, me and the rest of the internet idiots have to say about the QB slot is inconsequential to Harbaugh. His *hot hand* comment was bullshit he clearly thinks Kap gives them the better chance to score. See how I didn’t say *win* there? Cause the QB is responsible for leading the offense to scores. The defense is responsible for limiting the scores of the opposition. Linked together, the offense and defense try to score more points than the opposing offense and defense…..
      And when looking at the offense today, they performed like shit. Kap had some unbelievably athletic plays that Smith couldn’t even dream of executing, but all in all, the offense stunk. And Kap basically lost the game for them with that ridiculous pitch over Ginn’s head.
      It’ll be interesting to see what Harbaugh does now. He made an unnecessary change at QB and the offense stalled to shit today.
      Would Alex have done better?
      These are the unnecessary questions that are now getting asked because of JH’s unnecessary QB moves…….

• NoFear49er says:

It was a busted play from the bad snap and Kaep should have had the situational awareness to keep the ball and maybe make something happen with his feet. But, what OC in his right mind calls that play there with an inexperienced quarterback, a center who’s been prone to bad snaps lately and a receiver who’s not the most dependable in the hands and guts departments?

That’s a set up for failure in that game in that situation. Where’s all the old hands that the new guys should rely on to put them in the right situations to make a play?

I think Roman got desperate there and he should have known better.

Kaep’s performance can be questioned in this game but he had a lot of help blowing that play.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Kap has to be coached going forward that if the snap is botched, and the play is going to shit, DO NOT try to be a hero. Try to get the ball back to the LOS, minimize the damage, get ready for the next play. Only exception is do or die on 4th down at the end of a game, trailing. Don’t make a minor fuck up into a colossal cluster fuck.

As for the coaching: they should know better. That was a total rube move. Never lateral or pull a similar high risk move near your goal line. Even JH said as much after the game; he knows they screwed the pooch big time there.

Well I don’t get it. What was the point of changing QB’s if they intend to continue calling so conservatively?

• NoFear49er says:

I have the same question. They weren’t getting anything over on our defense. It was the game to put the ball in the air without Hunter and Gore finding no room to run. It was a display of bad coaching more than anything else.

That was my take on it too. That and a couple of dubious pivotal calls.

Hunter is on IR.

• Flavor says:

I’ll give you my 2 cents on the offense and JH as seen through the eyes of a Stanford fan:
        One of the things I hate about David Shaw is his constant pounding of the middle of line with run after run after run. And I finally realized why he keeps doing it. He doesn’t give a shit about the 8 or 9 pile ups where Stepfan gains nothing. He’s just hoping for the 1 out of 10 where he breaks free for 30 or 40 (or more). Now, that’s a very *college* approach but Shaw learned a lot from JH.
        I think we’ve all gotten tired of the Gore runs into the line calls that yield nada. It’s possible JH is giving away those 8 or 9 rushes that do nothing, the same way Shaw is doing it, hoping for the play where Frank breaks the line and rolls…….
        But that’s nothing more than a *college try* if you ask me…………

• rtfirefly says:

With McGahee down for the season, Moreno stepped up.
        Peyton was throwing fireballs and would’ve scored 50 without a fumble and a dropped 3rd down first down pass.
        The Niners are the same, they just haven’t smelled playoffs in so long that they have forgotten.
        I’m not jumping ship. Not with this Fuckin Niner Team.

• NoFear49er says:

Was that for me Rufus?

• rtfirefly says:

NoFear, no, I’ve never dissed you and I never will.

• NoFear49er says:

My post could have been worded better.

35. twinfan1 says:

I kinda get it that none of our opinions are relevant, only Harbaugh’s. We’re still allowed opinions, though. And mine is that they’re probably 2-1 over the last three with either of them.I think they would have won NO aand the Rams with Smith, I’ll give Kap the Bear game… With the race tightening, I definitely would trust Smith more now. But as Flavor says, I’m an idiot.

I won’t engage in the what if Alex played game but Kap looked just what he is today, inexperienced. I thought the O play calling was horrible, not just the obvious calls but in general. Running inside the tackles was fruitless over and over and Gore is not a big enough back to wear the D down. I thought we really missed Hunter’s speed to the outside. I don’t get why no screen’s or draw’s, some kind of change of pace play. When Kap did turn it loose he was succesful. He had one drive with 9 in a row completions. Another that was over 8 mins long. The shot play was missing, even if overthrown it opens up the field but instead they called very conservatively and the Rams stacked the box.
      Strange game but the Niners deserved to win this one, barely.

36. twinfan1 says:

I think just how conversative Harbaugh really is has been underestimated., Eric Davis said: “Jim Harbaugh is better at being Mike Singletary than Mike Singletary.Singletary’s mantra was that his team would develop a power running attack and play ball-control football, minimize mistakes and keep games close with a tough, bend-but-don’t break defense.”
    What I would add to that is that Harbaugh also installed the WCO, an extremely QB friendly system.,

• twinfan1 says:

Don’t know if it’s true or not but it makes sense- PManning wanted to run his offense and that was a non-starter for Harbaugh. Manning would have been more wide open than Harbaugh would want to run.

• NoFear49er says:

Jimmy Raye brought back the WCO formations though not as many as Harbaugh has shown. Neither of them do justice to Bill Walsh’s offense though.

I think that’s the case with Manning. He wanted to control the offense he went to and it makes sense for him but I can’t see Harbaugh ceding that much control to a QB on the end of his career.

• rtfirefly says:

NoFear, remember my buddy Mark Gays, RIP, the tank driver in Patton’s 3rd army?
        If I have offended you in any way, I apologize now.

• NoFear49er says:

I know I’m a VFOG but not WWII old. Is he someone you have posted about?

You have given me no offense, sir.

• rtfirefly says:

He taught me how to play 5 minute chess in Campbell. Later, when the years took their toll, he played 5 minute when he got the chance in Los Gatos.
        Always his pieces and his board and a crazy fishing hat. I think I was the last guy left who was friends before he died.

• rtfirefly says:

Just one thing NoFear. I never earned the rank of “Sir”.
        You may address me however you wish.
        Wish I had. I had tons of chances.

The youngest of those guys have to be in their nineties.

I knew a couple of trible CIBers that served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam, gone now. Rare bunch and hard.

I saw recently that CSM Basil Plumley passed on. Triple CIBer. He was the guy played by Sam Elliot in the movie _We Were Soldiers_.

We won’t see their like again.

• ewisco says:

the Combat Infantry Badge. nothing more effective to differentiate the grunts from the remfs.

• NoFear49er says:

You got that right, ewisco. The award he’s likely most proud of and the one he looks for first on top of another’s A&Ds.

Sounds like you might have one. If so, where and when?

Funny, I said the same thing last year. That Harbaugh was running the team Singletary wanted to run but couldn’t.

I hated that we waited so long to go deep today. We played into their defense again. They stopped the run and jammed everything short. We didn’t adjust. The pitch play was more Harbaugh college bullshit. .He gets too cute sometimes.

39. twinfan1 says:

Before I’m off to bed, two things: I definitely think Colin should be getting the start next week;;
    On the other hand, Harbaugh’s “he gave us a chance to win” is not exactly what you want to hear about the QB..next week is as close to “must win” as it gets, with the tough road games to come.
    Night all.

40. ewisco says:

I’m not in the “harbaugh sucks” camp but i seriously question whether he can hold this team together for the next 3 years. I’m curious about the “rah-rah” blow back. If i’m CK and he’s pounding on my pads ie AS, i’m seriously questioning, “oh I’M your guy now? How long does that last?” or anyone else he’s been paying particular attention to. he runs the grave risk of losing these guys.

No shit, ewisco. He could lose the team in 2 weeks if they drop these next 2. Harbaugh can’t in any seriousness go back to Smith barring a catastrophic meltdown. And if that does happen, the team’s reaction is going to be ‘what if’? As in what if he didn’t take out the guy that was winning? This certainly isn’t what he wanted to see, but it pisses me off to see so little deep shit today. He engineered some of the problems today. This was a lot like a Singletary game. P[ay it close and lose in the end.

I ain’t throwing in the towel or anything, but if ever there was a need for a big win it’s next game.

The Niners are winning, making the playoffs. Jump ship all there are sharks. Might be Jacksonille, or Austin.
    Carp you guys are acting that it’s the end of the world.
    Get over it and get your tickets now.
    Broncs-Niners in the Super Dome.

43. Berger says:

Somebody please tell Jimmy Raye to stop calling our plays.

44. Berger says:

One could argue that Kaepernick’s mistakes cost us the game, therefore if Smith plays we win. It is a legitimate argument.

I say the problem was not the QB, it was the play calling. Kaep should not have even been put in that situation. This is the same play calling that has plagued Smith for years. If we are going to start a young QB these are the kind of mistakes we know are going to happen. He made some mistakes but he also got us a couple big plays.

What concerns me the most from the last two games is what happened is about what I should have expected. I have even said on this very site it does not matter who the QB is if the play calling does not improve. What we saw yesterday was a different QB and the coaches still playing “not to lose”.

If Harbaugh’s play calling does not evolve he will be no better than the next Marty Schottenheimer. Not bad, in fact pretty good, but no championships. Championships don’t go to teams that play “not to lose”, nor should they.

45. dirtnrocksnomo says:

Yesterday went about as bad as it could possibly go regarding Harbaugh’s QB decision. He’s got to stick with Kaepernick but the “hot hand” justification will lose credence soon. Just pick up the pieces and go forward.

Niners have to adjust to the poor kicking situation. Getting Akers to a plus 50 yd kick is a 20% positive outcome play. Playcalling has to change to reflect that reality and field goals need to be no more than 40 yds.

Fuck Akers. He’s cost the Niners 2 games. Granted, I didn’t like the play calling when we got the ball on the 50, but still and all, he has to make that kick. Akers was run out of Philly for this very same reason. Missing big kicks.

And the pitch play was retarded. Time and place, coach. 3:30 left, and your defense is stuffing the swhit out of St. Louis. Say what you will about Harbaugh’s conservative play calling, that pitch call was a fucking gimmick. That is when you SHOULD go conservative, based on the situation. Cappy has to learn to eat the ball on that play. Like the pick on the bad snap last week, he tried to do too much with a fucked up play. Fall down (or don’t throw the ball to your own end zone) and move on.

The time NOT to be conservative is when you have the ball on the 50 yard line and you need to help your struggling kicker.

Fricking Cappy scored 8 points for StL and 13 for the Niners. All St Louis earned was the 2 pt conversion anf the FG in OT. Cappy wins, 21-5.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Agreed. We should have run the pitch play in the first half, when we were up around mid-field. That way if it goes wrong it’s not right on your goal line.

And as you said, this is two mistakes now that stemmed from Kappy trying to do too much with a lost play after a bad snap. Last week, it was the INT, this week the pitch to nowhere. The coaching staff needs to address that, and make sure that Kappy understands, if the play is already shot because the snap was so bad you’ve lost situational awareness or the timing is screwed beyond any recovery, secure the ball, get back to the LOS if you can, and get ready for the next play. Trying to salvage a big play in that situation is far more likely to produce a negative big play than a positive one. The only exception is do or die, i.e. 4th down at the end of a game, when there IS no next play. Don’t try for heroics that end up biting you in the ass.

48. twinfan1 says:

My breakdown on Colin yesterday:.
    The good is obvious- he can zip it, and he’s a dymanic runner.and he exhibited both on Sunday.
    However, with all the talk of of him saving sacks- he looks to run or escape, rarely looking to throw.
    As I pointed out yesterday, with his numbers against the blitz-and also the word in football- Smith is one of the best when blitzed-he’ll take sacks (12)- but the other teams pay for those- almost 600 yards, 7 TD, 1 INT when blitzed.
    And then there are the mistakes- he gave them 10 points for sure, and probably the game winning FG by running out of bounds on our last possession.it’s nice of Jimbo to take the rap for the pitch to Ginn- and it was a poor call-but an expereienced, savvy QB doesn’t make the pitch. And an experienced QB doesn’t run 20 yards backwards into the end zone to avoid the pass rush, the play that resulted in the disputed safety. Those are mistakes he won’t make as he gains experience but there’s a division to be won and playoffs ahead.
    I totally disagree that Jimbo *can’t* go back to Smith, of course he can, and he will if Coilin continues with the kind of killer mistakes he made yesterday.Not yet, though.Miami becomes a huge game and a game that’s absolutely winnable. They need to win and Colin needs to play well.
    Both. IMO.
    With all that said- the coaches need to help him more. Several 49er players are said to claim that the Rams knew what they were going to run. Also, I do agree with others that why run the same kind of game plan they would for Alex? Smith is expert at that, Kap isn’t. The headline of Barrows’ blog says it:”Oh irony — Kap needs to be a better game manager”..
    Anyway, they have a chance in the playoffs with Alex playing his game or Kap playing *his*- they have zero chance expectinng Colin to play Smith’s game.Again, IMO.

49. twinfan1 says:

Word about Harbaugh’s remarks in today’s presser have leaked out, and they’re certainly not complimentary towards Smith. I obtained a transcript of part of his diatribe:
    ” His seventy percent completion percentage isn’t a reflection of his accuracy, but rather what a gutless pansy he is with the football. He manages the game as if it were a dying butterfly, keeps referring to 9 yard passes as ‘the deep ball,’ cries everytime the opposing team kicks a field goal, and looks like what would happen if Justin Timberlake had sex with a woodchuck.”
    That’s the good stuff.

New thread is up. I’ll copy these over.