Can You Say Con-Tro-Ver-Sy?

Quite the game by Colin Kaepernick yesterday. On national TV, and in front of the guy whose job he wants, Cappy came into the game throwing darts all over the field. 16-23 for 243, 2 TDs sounds very Smith-like (esp with the 123 yards on the ground), but it sure looked different. Particularly sweet was the bomb to Kyle Williams on his 2nd drive. He couldn’t have handed the ball to him any cleaner as Cappy hit KW in stride for a 57 yard strike to set up a TD on the next play, a nice play action pass to VD for Cappy’s 1st TD as a pro. The next drive featured a 32 yard strike to VD and was capped by a 14 yard run up the middle by Kendall (end zone) Hunter. Drive #4 was puctuated by a 20 yard pass and run by Michael Crabtree, with some touogh running form Frank Gore. All in all, 4 possessions, 4 scores, and a 20 point lead going into the half. For all intents and purposes, the game was over. Not bad for the gangly kid from Turlock.

Leading off the 3rd quarter, Cappy his Mario Manningham on a nice slant that MM took up the field for a 37 yard gain. On 3rd and gola from the 6, Cappy dropped back to pass and looked right for VD dragging across the back of the end zone. he was covered, and Cappy rolled left to buy time, and Crabs read this and cut to the left corner of the end zone. Cappy hit him easily for his 2nd TD pass of the game for a 27-0 lead.

The rest of the game was just handoffs for the most part as the defense laid to waste the Bear offensive line. Aldon Smith had 5.5 sacks by himself, and really, the Niners should have pitched a shutout as Aldon Smith was penalized for trying to get to a fumble on 3rd and 19 after yet another sack by the Niner defense. Jason Campbell, the erstwhile vet, didn’t stand a chance against the Niners intense pass rush. They [pretty much were forced to abandon the run due to the instant deficit, and Campbell rarely had a clean pocket to throw from.

So, what now? I don’t listen to KNBR much, nor do I spent too much time reading other blogs and such, but I’m sure the airwaves are sizzling with conjecture regarding who starts next week. Add to the firestorm the fact that Harbaugh didn’t  douse any fires by saying “I have 2 hot-handed QBs” and the controversy begins. Frankly, with Alex Smith not even cleared to play, I don’t see too much reason to take anything from Harbaugh’s comments yesterday. They were made right after the game, and Harbaugh always seems to be struggling with the come-down from his hypersonic adrenaline-fueled coaching high. Until Smith gets cleared, everything WILL be conjecture and innuendo.

I’m fairly certain Harbaugh reinstates Alex Smith as the starter going forward if he is cleared to play. Cappy played as near-perfect a game that anyone could have expected, but one game does not make a ginormous decision like this cone to pass. Although the pressure to perform is ratched up a little bit under Alex Smith’s ass.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

133 Responses to Can You Say Con-Tro-Ver-Sy?

1. barleyfreak says:

I fully expected Alex to start again even after watching CK’s great game. Harbaugh’s post game comments coupled with the effusive comments of some of the players makes me wonder though. It really is a tricky situation. If you truly believe that Alex can take us to (and win) the SB, then starting CK is a gamble. May work out, may give us some losses that hurt playoff chances, etc. If you think that last year was a perfect storm opportunity for Alex to lead to a SB win (on the strong back of the D, S, turnovers and Akers leg) and don’t believe that history will repeat itself, then the higher upside and potential to win — this year — may be CK.

I have to admit that I lean toward the latter. But I also have to acknowledge that this really was just ONE game. And I most certainly do NOT want to see yo-yo back and forth switching of QBs. The perfect scenario right now would be to rest Alex another week and see if any modicum of history can repeat itself in NO.

BTW — our pass blocking was the best in a very long time. No small thing, that. I recognize that CK’s movement and ability to throw — accurately — on the run made them look better too.

2. twinfan1 says:

Upon further review: The concussion protocol is flawed in that it doesn’t require the final clearance be made by the neurologist. There are two sepeate issues with that: it allows for monkey business by the team when the final yea or nay is by their doctor. More importantly, while any doctor is qualified to *not* clear a player ( even an intern or nurse knows how to conduct simple neurological tests that could rule a player out) only a neurologist is qualified to clear a player who has suffered a concussion.
    Actually, there’s a third issue that the league has fought-an independent neurologist on every sideline. Smith was examined for concussion symptoms after the first quarter but allowed to return.Those sideline exams should be conducted by a neurologist- the stakes are too high, the player’s long term brain health, to have this done by team medical staffs. There’s definitewly progress in protecting player safety- but more needs to be done.

I said as much on Flav’s blog. I was under the impression that the independent nuerologist did the final impact test, as was reported all week. It isn’t. It is done by the team. These protocols are in place as a CYA gesture by the league to say ‘look, we followed the protocol’ even though guys get back in, as both Cutler and Smith did, to be further subject to injury. As they both were.

And left to the machinations of the Niners, there’s no clear understanding if Smith didn’t pass the test, was ruled out by their own doctor, or took himself out due to post concussion symptoms.

So thanks, Twin. You were right.

• Grumpy Guy says:

There is also, though, the fact that we are hearing his symptoms apparently returned over the weekend, after he had seemed to be doing better. that is not something that sounds good. Whatever happens with the 49ers, I hope the kid is okay. If not this Sunday, then by the following week.

I’d rather have two good QBs going into the playoffs, than one who got the position by default.

• NoFear49er says:

I thought that was the purpose of the ImPACT assessment tests and comparisons to baselines.

Since Alex wasn’t cleared to play it seems you’d be satisfied the protocols were serving their intended purpose.

• twinfan1 says:

I’m happy he wasn’t cleared if it was prompted by symptoms- as I’ve said- even a nurse is qualified to rule a player out based on neurological symptons.Pay attention to this next part:: the team doctor, an orthopedic surgeon is NOT qualified to clear him. And if Dr.Dan the Foot Man had cleared Smith, I would be hopping mad. As I said, that’s a serious flaw in the protocols. Only an independent neurolgist is qualfied to clear a player for contact and game play.

Yeah, I though 2 weeks ago that Chicago was overrated. This game did nothing to dispell that notion. I think Harbaugh WAS just still coming down off the high of coaching when he said what he said. He more than anyone understands what can be misconstrued when you are the starting QB and something is brewing having been there himself.

That being said, if Cappy starts and wins in NO (by whatever machinations), then there’s little reason to go back to Alex.

You were on the money about the Bears. I was concerned for Kap to start against that D, the kid shredded it.
      My best guess is Harbs uses the concussion and short week as the reason (real or otherwise) to play Kap. If the kid comes up good Alex is on the bench, if he stinks Alex was the guy all along.
      Truth is Alex is doing a solid job and if he gets the gig back we are no worse off and now know Kap is capable.
      If Kap does get the second game nod and lights it up again Alex is a heck of an insurance policy.
      Great position to be in for the coaching staff.
      I like Tolzein too.

Well, if Jim is like B Walsh, he will use this to motivate Alex, if you don’t think Bill played Steve off of Joe then think again. What I will be looking for is that deep pass from Alex and his accuracy with it. Has Harbaugh been holding back on pass plays of 10 yards or greater cause he does not have faith in Alex’s arm. This will be interesting as it unflolds.

If Alex is cleared soon and ready to go, he starts in NO. All pro players of any sport get this. You don’t lose you job because you’re injured for a game or two. This is important for team morale, IMO, because the next guy to get hurt and out for a game or two may be “me”, and I want to know that my assistant coach and my HC have my back during the season. If Alex is out for a long period due to the concussion, then this unwritten rule wanes in strength, especially if Kaeppy does well. NO is not an EZ place to play, either QB is in for a tough game, because the NO offense is in gear now. The SF offense will have to score more than a TD and a coupla field goals. Fortunately, the NO defense is weak, but if the Niners get behind early, even a weak defense stiffens when it knows what’s coming…

6. dirtnrocksnomo says:

Harbaugh’s press conferences are fascinating to me. When one of the reporter raised the QB situation yet again Harbaugh’s response was something like “I don’t know if you just got here but we covered that”. He seemed to want to avoid the QB questions all around but kept getting pulled back to it.

• Flavor says:

and he often says things that don’t really even make sense—or maybe they’re just so tangential that I don’t follow it.

• dirtnrocksnomo says:

Yes, he definately does ramble about nonsense. I don’t think it is going over anyone’s head dude is just kooky.

If even getting Smith cleared drags out, I can see Harbaugh going all-in with Cappy this week. Mainly because of the reps. After that game? Well, if he lights it up like yesterday, it’d be a tough call.

After reading what I’ve read this morning, I have no clue who can clear Smith anyway. Do they start the tests over since he wasn’t cleared last Sunday? The Niner doc can’t apparently clear him, he can only not clear him. Who even made the call to sit Smith? Smith? The doctor? The team?

I’m as sold on NO as I was on the Bears. In other words, not very much. They’ve beaten TB, Philly, Atl, and Oaktown. Atl being the only quality team they’ve beaten. And who the fuck has Atl beaten? A whole bunch of stiffs, and Denver.

This is a crazy year so far. A lot of teams are getting fat on the shitty teams.

8. chipower9 says:

Both guys have tangibles that the other does not. Both have strenghts and weaknesses. I am not sure how I feel about who should start in New Orleans. The feelings are really mixed.
    On one hand, Alex lead the team during some really tough games in the playoffs last year. On the other hand, you cannot discount the positives that Kap brings to the table (mobility, speed, stronger arm and more accurate on longer passes, etc.).
    Brian Murphy on KNBR this morning (if I am in my truck, I listen to KNBR for my morning drive) was talking how he would be good with either scenario. And to be honest, I feel the same way, too. Both scenarios are intriguing in their own way. Regardless of whether or not Alex is cleared to play this week, I hope Harbaugh keeps it close to his vest in announcing his starter…make the Aints guess a little.

And as I posted on the previous thread, I have thought for some time that the Bears were over-rated. They have won against one team with a winning record. Sure, their defense may be better than exhibited last night, but I do not think they are among the elite in the NFL. So, last night was a good win against a team I felt the Niners “should have” beat.

I’d say Smith gets a different game plan then Kaepernick. Given the short week and lingering questions about Smith’s availability it makes sense to install a Kaepernick game plan, give Kaep all the reps and have Kaep start one more game before trying to make any further decisions on which guy gives us the better chance of winning. If Kaep plays again like he did against the Bears, it’s a no-brainer.

That’s how I think they will play it but I really think, and obviously I could be wrong, that the die is cast.

10. chipower9 says:

I agree with NoFear on all counts except the last. New Orleans defense SUCKS. The are dead last in yards allowed, last in yards against the rush, 31st (out of 32) against the pass (yards allowed), and 27th in points allowed (27.x per game). Even in the raucous confines of the Superdome, I think with the right game plan, Kap has every chance to succeed. Agree…give him another week, and this also gives another week to make sure that Alex is 100% OK (his health should be paramount in all discussions and decisions).
    Where I disagree with NoFear is that even if Kap has a great game, I am not so certain it is a slam-dunk decision on who starts rest of the year.

• NoFear49er says:

You’re right, chipower9. The decision is not that easy for those who coach and play this game for real. I indulged in a bit of hyperbole there because that’s what I’d like to see happen. And to tweak my bud Twinfan who’s given me a large ration of shit over the years about Alex.

Jason Whitlock has Kap as the new starting QB for what it’s worth. Item 9 on his list:

NO’s defense may suck but they’ve gotten a little better. Philly couldn’t score on it, but it appears Philly couldn’t score in a Sparks whore house.

I sadi the same earlier. If Cappy kicks ass in NO, then it’s likely Cappy rides the rest of the way as the starter. With Smith ready to step in if he falters. A total nightmare for Smith, but he ain’t making the call.

Yeah a tough deal for Alex if it plays out that way, he has endured a lot with the Niners and was having a career year, but at the end of the day the best players play and if the coaches say that’s Kap so be it.

• twinfan1 says:

*IF* Smith is healthy and cleared by someone other than a team employee, Harbaugh would be foolish to go with antybody else. He knows they can go the playoffs with Smith-gushing and google-eying and one fine performance aside- he does not know that about Kappy-even with the lead they have. Smith has no guarantee past this year- the sensible move is to let Smith take as far as he can.. Believe me on this- if he does have to make a change this year, it’s going to go a hell of a lot better if Kappy takes over rather bringing Alex back in as Mr.Good Ole Shoe…

13. twinfan1 says:

If Smith originally was free from symptoms, allowing the neurologist to clear him for practice, and then symptoms recurred prompting Garza to rule him out, the issue should no longer be who’s under center this week, but whether Smith should play at all this year. Since he’s had previous concussions, ,and suffered two blows that contributed to this one : “Athletes with recurrent concussions take longer to recover and are at risk for more severe on-field presentation of symptoms with subsequent concussions. Recent research has also revealed that returning athletes to play based on athletes being “asymptomatic” may not be good practice. Objective measurement tools may be a better indicator of healing than subjective reporting of symptoms”
    In other words, in athetes with recurrent concusions, becoming asymptomatic is not a measure that the brain has healed..*If* Smith indeed had symptoms return, he needs to be carefully monitored. Need I say- by a neurolgist.

I think your point about how unclear the procedures are and the lack of independent neurologists on the sidelines is a serious concern. 3 starting QB’s were knocked out of games in one week, 2 of which were ruled out almost immediately and from what I can gather Alex was still likely to play even up till Saturday morning. We should adopt mandatory time away from playing whatever that ends up being (a week?) so the player can’t try to con the doctors to get back on the field too early.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Well, neurology is not an exact science. That’s why you should always err on the side of caution.

Alex should be talking with his own doctors at this point. He should also talk to Steve Young and Troy Aikman. Not that I think Alex is done like they were, but he needs to understand the full range of possibilities. This is not something to screw around with.

Well, yeah, there’s that. But he’s been relatively concussion free. I mean look at Cutler. He’s had 6 in a couple years. Smith? This is his 2nd in 3 years.

It doesn’t matter really when it comes down to it, because everyone heals differently, but he hasn’t had as many dings as a lot of other guys.

I’m assuming he comes back relatively soon but that very well may not be the case.

15. twinfan1 says:

If he never plays another down, Smith should be remembered for two of the great 4th quarter comeback drives in playoff history. Here’s the final drive. his dude was cooler than the proverbial other side of the piliow.The extra bonus- the ‘Aints had been been trash talking all day. Alex gives ’em a calm, in essence, “You talkin’ to ME?” as he walks off the field.

This one has all the NO game highlights. The pass at 4:20 is the best one of the game. Blitz in his face, Alex hits VD on a deep sideline route. It set up the bootleg . . .

I’ll tell you this, I think there is almost NO chance that Smith plays this week. JH can get a free look at Kap again vs New Orleans (and you KNOW he wants to) if they just take the cautious route with Smith and let him sit another week. Who knows, maybe Kap takes it up another notch in his second start.
    But Alex is the team’s QB. He’s been very, very good this year and shouldn’t lose his job because of 1 spectacular game from Kap. I agree with Twin, go as far as Smith will take you this year. It’s entirely possible though that these concussion symptoms keep recurring. Right when you think a concussed brain is improving you get vertigo or whatever. Kap could easily get a lot more playing time this year just because Alex can’t go. And I firmly believe that JH will start Kap this week just because he’ll think he can get away with it by saying they want to take it slow with Smith.
    Things could get real interested though if Smith says he’s good to go and they get a doctor to clear him……

• phil fan says:

Agree:

“…I firmly believe that JH will start Kap this week just because he’ll think he can get away with it by saying they want to take it slow with Smith.

“…I think there is almost NO chance that Smith plays this week. JH can get a free look at Kap again vs New Orleans (and you KNOW he wants to) if they just take the cautious route with Smith and let him sit another week.”

I just don’t see any downside to letting Alex chill for another week.

18. twinfan1 says:

Lack of balance is but one of what can be very long term symptoms of a concussion-or any brain “illness”. As I said earlier- or maybe I just thought I said it- if Smith’s symptoms have worsened, who is under center this week is less of an issue than whether he should play at all this year. I’m not saying that should or will be the case, but we’ve seen with boxers that a seemingly minor punch can cause serious damage- the after effect of a more serious blow from a prior fight.Again, I’m not trying to be alarmist, it’s most likely that he’ll be fine…but once retired we hear very little of the effects of post concussion syndrome. Many ex-players have died violently and autopsies have shown their brains were “gummed up with destructive, protein-filled neural tangles – a dementia-causing condition called chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, that many researchers believe is a consequence of being repeatedly bashed in the head.” QBs are not the players most affected by this but many are among the thousands of ex-players suffering from the long term effects of concussions. It’s nothing to be taken lightly- here’s one of the most infamous-where McCoy was actually allowed to continue- a big reason we have the protocols.”McCoy lay flat on his back for minutes after the play, occasionally flailing his arms and legs in either pain or confusion. Harrison, who’d been leading with his helmet, was flagged for a personal foul”.Three plays later, McCoy returned to the game.

Well, it just seems like Smith wouldn’t be a candidate for someone who has recurring problems. Mike Vick has had numerous concussions in recent memory. As has Cutler, and countless others. Then again, everyone reacts differently to these types of injuries. I’ve had a couple concussions over the years, and I didn’t get secondary post-injury issues with either, but they were about 12 years apart. Merrill Hoge was forced to retire and he did it pretty much on his own, as did Steve Young.

Time will tell with this. As many have noted, this is more about Smith getting his head straight rather than worry about who gets playing time.

• twinfan1 says:

I don’t think he would be a guy likely to have long term problems, but as you say, we’re all different. And a factor that makes his injury bear extra watching is that any of two hits could have contributed to the outcome.The brain takes a violent little trip with each hit.-bouncing against the skull and back.He most likely will be fine, but everyone is in agreement that it’s not to be taken lightly.

• Grumpy Guy says:

The real problem and concern is that every time this happens, it seems to make the next one happen that much easier. I’m not thinking his career is over right now…. but if this keeps up, he could find himself in trouble.

Harbaugh doubles down:

HARBAUGH: I believe we have the opposite of a controversy. A controversy is an argument between opposing points of view. This is coming at it from a team point of view. And do we have two good quarterbacks, two winning quarterbacks, two quarterbacks with a hot hand? Yes we do. So we’ll make the decision and let you know in a timely fashion.

And that’s after he said he thinks Alex will be available for NO. He deliberately wants to press this agenda of “guess who”.

21. twinfan1 says:

Not neccesarily here, but certainly on the Insider and every other blog I’ve read, Steve Young was always quoted when he was down on Smith. Presuming Smiith is cleared, here’s what he says now:

““It’s got to be Alex Smith,” Young said. “He’s got the body of work. This is a team that can go to the Super Bowl. He’s got a body of work over many years, but especially over the last year and a half, with a lot of trust from his teammates.

“I understand the excitement for Colin and it’s well deserved after yesterday,” Young continued. “I know that feeling. It happened to me. But when it comes down to crunch time, is this the time to play with that. Jim Harbaugh’s got to make the challenge. But for my money, you’ve got to have Alex Smith be the quarterback.

“Colin Kaepernick, let him nip at the heels, give him a few more reps, make him eager, make a little more creative tension in the locker room and on the field. But you’ve got to declare Alex Smith the starter or else you’re going to create all kinds of things you don’t want that are going to take your team away from the Super Bowl.”

Well, until Smith is cleared, this is all mental masturbation.

That we’re this far into the week may preclude Smith from starting the NO game anyway. If Cappy goes lights-out again, the clamor will just get louder. Funny that Steve Young favors how Walsh handled the QB controversy instead of how he himself would have wanted it to go.

Frankly, I don’t think Cappy is ready, but it ain’t my call.

Looks like the noon press conference might be worth watching. Does anyone know how Smith GETS vleared at this point? Does he do the nuerologist non-contact deal again?

• Grumpy Guy says:

Joe Montana might chuckle a bit at Steve’s comments.Or worse.

I would think you’d need to follow the league procedure, starting from scratch. Otherwise, if anything bad happens, and maybe even if it doesn’t, Goodie-Boy has you by the short hairs. The team needs to be careful here, both for Alex’s sake, and for their own protection.

• twinfan1 says:

Montana likes Alex, too. He’s said he thinks Alex can lead the team to a title.Of course Smith has to cleared, we all know that.

• Grumpy Guy says:

My chuckle comment wasn’t about Alex – it was about the tension between Joe and Steve circa 1987-1989. That situation was WAY worse than anything with Alex and Colin, who appear to be nominally friends.

23. twinfan1 says:

So, I’ll masturbate.
    Vernon Davis: “Kaepernick played last night and happened to do a good job but Alex (Smith) is still the man, no question”

24. barleyfreak says:

30-23, Saints.

I don’t have much of a sense how this game goes, but I still think the Niners can win this. Granted, Chicago was highly overrated, but I still think the Niners can shut down NOs offense. They don’t run particularly well, so the Niners will go nickel and dime all day. It comes down to pass rush. I like our chances there.

34-21 Niners.

• phil fan says:

Scoring challenge, first edition. Niners vs Saints:

Chuck: 34-21 Niners. “NO may be pumped, but defensively, they are 27th in points allowed, 31st vs the pass, 32nd vs the run, and 32nd overall by a large margin I think we can score on them. Cappy will do fine. Smith likely won’t get cleared in time for this. ”

rtfirefly: 26-17 Niners. I adjust my weekly prediction because of Brees, Kappy and the Superdome

barleyfreak: 30-23, Saints. I have this feeling that we’re going to lose at the Superdome regardless of who is playing QB. Their D sucks, granted, but I see them playing better in their house against us this week. They will be PUMPED, you can bet, less than one year after losing the NFCCG in heartbreaking fashion. I see them getting some points on us — and we’ll have score better than 30 to win.

Phil: 36-20 Niners. Kapster starts, we grab a lead, D goes all sack happy (again), the run game wears ’em down and this sucker is nothing like the NFC title game.

Barley said last week we would score more with Kap and damn if he didn’t nail
      it

• philippinefan says:

Grumpy Guy: 41-38 Niners. I’m actually more concerned right now about T. Brown, Culliver and Goldson being hurt and ‘limited in practice’, than in who starts at QB. This could turn into a real track meet. Early prediction: Kaep starts, 49ers win a crazy game, 41-38.

Chuck, were you in on this? Skeebs changed his blog dramatically. I know you guys who work hard have to make money with adverts and such, but it’d be nice to know how to post.

Not sure what yer talking about RTF. I don’t post ads here nor do I make money.

I do this for the love of the game . . .

• rtfirefly says:

It wasn’t a shot at you Chuck. Skeebs blog was unrecognizable for a bit, and impossible to post. I was just asking for help.

Alex Smith today in his presser got tons of questions trying to create something, he gave them nothing but classy answers.

I was fine with the answers JH gave (Alex too) in the press conference today except one: When asked if he could have *2 QB’s* even within a game JH said “We could.”
    Now, he could just be dicking with the media but if he’s being truthful I think that’s a terrible idea. That would just be way too *college* and it wouldn’t work.
    I still feel as I did last night, there’s no way Alex starts in NO. You KNOW JH wants to see how Kap does on the road and this is the perfect week to just say “We’re giving Alex one more week.” No firestorm, no ousting of the incumbent, just another week to get his head settled…..
    You know, maybe I don’t read everything about the Niners, but I haven’t heard much, if anything, about how Kap does in practice. I haven’t ever heard JH or a player or anyone even talk about him. Now everyone is on the radio saying he does this all the time in practice and none of this is a surprise. Well if you knew Kap had developed into the QB we saw on Mon night and he’s been showing all of this in practice, I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything about it.
    Makes me think that maybe he DOESN’T show that all the time in practice and that everyone on the inside of the Niners were happily surprised by his amazing performance v the Bears.
    And that’s another reason why I think JH is going to take a 2nd look on Sun. He wants to see if this is real or not………

The thing is, the backup doens’t get near the reps that the starter does (90-10). So, he’s usually running the other team’s offense in pactice. So they do see him working against the starting defense. They don’t see him running the Niners offense very much. He did practice more than usual with the 1st team offense last week. And I’m sure he’s getting most of the reps this week as well.

The thing is, Cappy was still on the bubble going into the 3rd week of preseason. It’s not like he’s been head-and-shoulders above Tolzein, or even pushing Alex. But he sure showed something in Monday.

• Flavor says:

So I just want to confirm, no one else here has heard JH and the players rave about Kap in practice, right? And that would make sense based on this post, Chuck. Well, I listen to a fair amount of KNBR radio (mostly about 30 minutes in the morning with Murph and Idiot, maybe 20 minutes of Rod and Bob and maybe an hour of Tolbert (as long as he doesn’t have Ratto on with him) a few times a week. And this week all I’ve heard a couple of players and JH on their shows telling us that they see this all the time from Kap in practice.
      Again, I ask the question, if they have been seeing this *all the time* then why haven’t we ever heard a peep about it?

30. rtfirefly2 says:

Chuck, I was listening to Aldon Smith today in his interview.
    Kappy is head, shoulders, and a whole fleet of Viking boats above Tolzien.
    Is Kappy #1? Maybe this week. The Saints are a great team at home and on fire at the moment. Now they have 2 different style QBs to prepare for.
    Sssssssh. Don’t tell anybody that.

Alright, is it Cappy, Kappy, or Kaeppy?
    I don’t care, as long as it’s not Krappy…

Top 6 NFL HCs on the chopping block:
    1) Jerry Jones
    2) Norv Turner
    3) Romeo Crennel
    4) Mike Mularkey
    5) Rex Ryan
    6) Andy Reid

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Turkey and stuffing and sweet yams. I always hated cranberry sauce.

Yeah, Cappy is now, but going into training camp, the competition was open, and Tolzein had some early success. By the end of the preseason, Cappy was the #2.

As far as how he looks in practice? Most people are worrying about Smith. The back up is usually running the scout team.

• Flavor says:

I know, I get that. You said the same thing in your 4:26 post. My question is why haven’t we heard a single peep about Kap’s talents in practice (and your 4:26 and 5:13pm would explain this) but yet hear all of these players (and JH) gushing about how he does this all the time in practice?
      It makes no sense at all.

I have never read that Kap lights it up in practice. Maiocco says Kap is a gamer, he sure was on monday, same players, same plays, vastly different look to the game.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Rufus.

And to the rest of you clowns as well . . . Happily we ain;t driving to LA this year.

JH obviously is fudging around with the QB situation. BF was right about this being an almost perfect scenario where he can play Kap against NO and say they’re protecting Alex’ health, regardless of whether Dr. Neuro cleared him or not. And, probably be telling the truth, actually. If Kap does play and plays well and it’s a Niner win, THEN its crunch time. But, if Kap’s not so good, hey, Alex can come back the game after and everything is back to “normal”…

• twinfan1 says:

As I’ve tried to point out-there is a huge flaw in the protocols since the neurologist is not the guy who has to make the final clearance. As much as I want Smith back out there, the team doctor is not qualified to clear him.As I said-even a nurse can rule him out, but only a neurologist should be able to clear a player.

My usual outsider complaint applies here once again. All last week the media “insiders” were saying Alex would start, then suddenly on game day, the national media guys get the story that Kap is getting the start, Alex had a setback. The “insider” media bulldust here is laughable. Maiocco, Lynch, Barros, all those guys only report what’s fed to them. Meanwhile, apparently in spring next year, one of the dude’s that wrote Game of Shadows (Feineru-Wada) is coming out with a book on the NFL and the concussion issue, supposedly going to be a bombshell of revelations…

The coaches knew enough about him to put all those pass plays in the script instead of “OK backup guy, just don’t lose the game for us.”

They couldn’t know how well he’d escape pressure, and he did like it was second nature, and how well or long he’d stand in to make the play under pressure until he’s in a game. Besides finding his second or third read, those are things Alex has never done well.

The thing(s) that stood out the most for me was his finding a way to make a play and extending the busted ones. And if he does it again in this weeks’ game, Harbaugh shouldn’t change starters until he screws up badly.

Don’t cry for Alex. This is the way starters lose their jobs to the better guy behind them all the time.

• twinfan1 says:

Actually name one time anything remotely similar happened. 20-6-1, took the team to the Championship game, headed for the playoffs again, 3rd rated in the league. never happened. And unless Harbaugh went to sleep and woke up as Dick Nolan, ii ain’t happening here.He can make the change to Coiln if Smith’s play forces his hand, until then when/if he’s healthy you go as far as Smith takes them and make decisions afer the season. That’s the smart way.

Jerry Jones is on the hot seat? I think Goodell’s got his back against the angry mobs.

Happy Turkey Day to everyone!

Jerry’s son is bucking the depose the Old Man. Egg salad best made overnight!

There’s really nothing to see, Flav. Cappy gets very little reps with the 1st team, so I’m sure this was somewhat of a shock to everyone.

Although the game plan was obvious. Chicago came out to stop Gore, figuring the Niners would go run-heavy. They didn’t. THey trusted Cappy enough to let him go downfield.

• twinfan1 says:

There was no choice but to throw against that defense, and no way to be unsuccessful. A common fiction is that Chicago has a great pass defense- they do not. Arizona’s is better.

• NoFear49er says:

No choice? And no way to be unsuccessful? How do you get away with slinging that bullshit around here?

All the Smith cheerleaders in unison now…

I hate to crash the party of the delusional rah rah Smith boys, but Kaep destroyed that defense. And Harbaugh put more faith in Kaep’s ability to throw on them than he ever would have put in Smith.

• twinfan1 says:

Most informed people, including Steve Young, who are not drinking from the poisoned well, think Smith should definitely be the QB. In fact, most are slapping their foreheads, wondering WTF Harbaugh is thinking…
        Smith destroyed a better pas defense., BTW.
        From SI.COM:

“There was something else notable about his game: Not one of his 19 throws (20, actually, if you count one that was negated by penalty) was off-target. His accuracy, in a word, was stunning. I watched the game again on NFL Game Rewind, focusing on each of the 20 throws, and watching each one several times, running it back and forth. Though he threw short much of the night, he did have completions that traveled 10, 11, 15, 20 and 22 yards past the line of scrimmage. Here’s how I graded the 20 throws:

A (perfectly accurate, hitting his receiver in stride): 15 throws

B (accurate, but receiver reached slightly away from body): 3

C (passable, catchable throw; if missed, would have been a drop): 2

D (poor throw that would have been a great catch): 0

F (significantly off target): 0

Smith’s two Cs came on his eighth and ninth passes of the game, early in the second quarter. The first was a sliding-on-his-knees catch by wideout Kyle Williams on a low throw that led him well. The second: a crossing route dropped by Walker — slightly behind him, but Walker erred because he tried to run with it before concentrating on securing it. The final 11 passes (10 As and a B) were all thrown the way quarterbacks are taught: leading the receiver, throwing so the receiver can make significant yards after the catch.

“It’s good you noticed that,” Smith told me. “Putting the ball in the right spot, in the right time, when he’s expecting it, is a crucial part of the passing game, I think. So many guys talk about yards after the catch, and I’ve always believed the quarterback has a huge responsibility there — it’s not just the receiver. A quarterback has to put it on the receiver and give his guys the opportunity to make plays downfield. Joe Montana was great at that. I have a lot of respect for Tom Brady with that now. Watch how he gets the ball to [Wes] Welker in stride, so he can run after the catch.”
        It stands to reason, then, that Smith would have a good yards per attempt average. Just how good, I didn’t know until I looked.”
        You see, NFear, people who know football don’t dismiss YAC and the skill it takes to allow the receivers to get them

• twinfan1 says:

Now Harbaugh is saying he might rotate them week to week and/or during games. Either he’s fucking with the press or he’s having irregular brain palpitations.

well let’s not let our feelings be based off a bunch of me-first tweets. As I said, it’s not a surprise at all that JH is milking another free week out out of this. Now, if he stands up there a publicly hands the job over to Kap then I will publicly tell him what a dumb ass he is. No reason to cause drama and problems if you don’t have to.
    And he didn’t have to……..
    Let’s see what the official comments are, if he has been cleared and JH says he just wants to be sure and give him another week to rest this is a non-story.
    Though it would be a huge story brewing between the lines……..

• Chico says:

That’s the smart approach Flavor. Wait, don’t speculate.

• Flavor says:

people freak out about tweets and shit and 50% of them aren’t even true. And the other 50% have a lot of qualifying to do before they become true.
        I really think they are just going to say they want to give him another week to chill. And who could blame them for wanting to get a free look at Kap on the road?
        If JH stands up and says “Kap is now my guy” then so be it. Though that would be the most unbelievably ignorant way to handle this………..

• Chico says:

Agree. Spot-on.

• Flavor says:

and dude, if you didn’t catch my props a few weeks ago hear them now: the pictures that you sent me from the world series parade that I uploaded to my blog were epic. Fantastic. The one with the confetti falling on city hall is still my cover at facebook.

• Chico says:

No problem man.. I shot some epic photos and wanted to share them with someone other than immediate friends & family.. I figured I might as well share them with “Giants family”. I sent Bozo the one he wanted of Mijares’ chick (didn’t get a tittie shot that he wanted but he was satisfied), lol.

43. Chico says:

Some writers like to start shit just to get their name out there – I see it all the time (John Wilner and Glenn Dickey) immediately come to mind. As already suggested, I think the smart thing to do is wait and see what the coach has to say. Who knows – we’ll see.

The kicker to all this is Smith still isn’t cleared to play. Harbaugh’s just playing fast and loose with what he’s got.

As far as your evaluation of the Chicago game goes, Twin. even you have to think that’s a little over the top, eh?. No way to be unsuccessful? Seriously? Chicago is 11th in pass defense and 1 in INTs. Not exactly chopped liver.

• Flavor says:

I’m stupid about football, Watched it religiously but never really played it. And I tried to. I just wasn’t any good. But what I saw on Monday night was about 37 guys in the box and single man coverage down field ALL GAME. At that point, those receivers are bowling pins for any competent QB. He had some amazing throws, but he was throwing the regular shit into single coverage all night long…….
      That’s why we need to see one more game……..

ESPN is tweeting the the SI tweet was bullshit. Cappy is getting the 1st team reps, but that Smith could start based on practices the rest of the week.

• Flavor says:

haha, that’s rad. see my 8:52. I should become more reliable than twitter just off that post along.
      And Twin you should stop being so hamstrung to the public media. Every morsel of information should be translated, not automatically processed………

Yeah, too funny. It’s the 24 hour news cycle in action.

Cappy made some very good passes against a very good defense. One game, though. I’d like to see how he does in NO in a very hostile environment, but is this really the time to be auditioning him?

As we stand right now, the Niners are the #2 seed, and having that bye week would be great. Can they afford to give him Cappy the reins for a try-out?

Again though, with Smiith not cleared, we’re still jerking off.

47. barleyfreak says:

I have to admit some doubts about how this is playing out. As many of you know, I have had serious doubts about Smith, but he actually HAS played pretty well this year, and to lose your job after suffering a concussion seems like a problematic message to send to the rest of the team. I get that many of them may more enthusiastic about CK than AS (especially, Crabtree…), but it still seems premature. And yet, if you really think this is your best shot at a SB, and realizing the make up of your team is temporary (age, salary cap, etc.) it might be the best route.

I suppose that resting AS another week for health concerns could give JH the back drop to see what CK brings to full game #2. Either way – it seems a dicey call. As much doubt as I have about Alex’s ability to take us to the promised land, I do respect his total commitment, and that he’s been shat upon more than once. But then again, it’s a business, so in the end ya gotta deal with it. And it’s the QB position, the most important position on the team – unless you’re Singletary.

Interesting stuff, any way you slice it. If my prediction holds true about this weekend’s game (losing, regardless of the starter), then even if CK starts, Smith might find himself the starter the following week.

Hey Phil – whatup? No word on the All-Consuming-24/7 QB controversy 2.0?

• phil fan says:

Lol, kicking back with a bowl of popcorn barley. I’m in the Flavor camp- start Kap in NO, see how it goes then let coach make the call.

But the level of analysis here has been great. Pass the salt…

Maiocco says Kap starts against NO “and beyond” and his sources say Alex won’t fight it. This seems to be more than Jim Trotter’s tweet:

49. Bozo says:

I seem to recall a big uproar over the whole Manning thing and Harbaugh’s handling of Smith at the time. That whole thing seemed to be worked out pretty well. So I’m not going to rush to any conclusions. Also, if Smith still had symptoms Monday night, I sure as hell wouldn’t be giving him the ball on Sunday.

Until I hear it directly from harbaugh, I’m taking it all with a grain of salt.

51. Grumpy Guy says:

This could turn into a real track meet.

Early prediction: Kaep starts, 49ers win a crazy game, 41-38.

The line went from 2 1/2 niners to even with Kap starting.

I just saw Alex Smith holding the football for the Charlie Brown balloon at the Macy*s Thanksgiving Day Parade. At least he still serves some purpose.

54. Chico says:

Interested to hear if Alex has been cleared to play by the team doctors.

I’d like to hear all this from Harbaugh. It makes no sense why he would go all-in with Kap. None. Why not take a free look at him on the road and just tell everyone that they’re giving Alex another week to rest?
    If Kap dominates in NO then he can go the route of the QB switch if he feels Kap is THAT much better than Alex.
    Like I said, tweets are all a bunch of bullshit. It’s just a bunch of guys trying to scoop something regardless of the facts.
    If JH is quoted and heard saying that Kap is now *the guy* from here on out I’ll finally believe it. But it is completely unnecessary to make this huge public change at QB right now. The risks are so great……..

Flavor I agree a free second audition is the safe route, but I have to say I admire Harbs guts if this is true and I agree with it.

Alex has been cleared from concussion symptoms, still won’t start.

According to who?

Poor Deetroit can’t finish a game to save its life. Go RG III!!!

From ESPN’s Ed Werder…”Alex Smith medically cleared following concussion testing but 49ers proceeding with plan to start Colin Kaepernick against Saints.”

One shot deal at this point.

At this point, cappy gets his start. After that, we’ll see. Nothing is set in stone here.

61. Chico says:

Smith has not been cleared yet, and Roman says no decision has been made yet about the starting QB…

62. Chico says:

Oh, and have a Happy Thanksgiving folks. Off to dinner we go.

The standard disinformation campaign continues. I doubt we get definitive info from the team until gametime.

I know one goddamn thing for sure: if we woulda signed Peyton Manning, he never woulda been benched for Colin fucking Kaepernick.

Happy Thanksgiving you mooks.

He would if he had a concussion . . .

No. That’s not a benching. That’s an injury replacement. Sources, whether you believe them or not, have said that Alex has been cleared to play this week but will not. That’s a benching! That would happen to Manning if he were cleared…

would *never* happen…
        there I go omitting entire words again. Should I blame it on the alcohol or the strokes? Your choice.

And need I remind you mooks the cardinal rule…?

Manning didn’t want to come here Dell. THe faster you understand that , the better you can go through life.

“Dell” is the computer that I use, not my nickname. It’s “Del” you mook. Just like Del Griffith, the role John Candy so expertly played in “Plains, Trains and Automobiles.” I watched that movie last night like I do every Thanksgiving. One helluva fucking funny flick from John Hughes…

“You’re going the wrong way. He’s probably drunk.”

And if you believe the reported reasons, it was because his brother plays in the same conference. I never understood that reason. Still don’t buy it, and still can’t get past it. It was patently obvious that coming to SF gave Manning the best chance at another Super Bowl. But looking at how he and his Broncos are playing, I’m not so sure anymore…

Why did he decide to go to Denver, Deldo?

Because Harbaugh wouldn’t give him control of the offense. Duh. What the fuck do you think happened?

Chuck, neither you nor I know the real reason why Peyton Manning didn’t sign with the Niners. But that’s immaterial at the time. What’s pertinent to our situation and germane (although Sheriff Buford T. Justice would claim it has nothing to do with the Germans) to our QB situation is whether Harbaugh is making the right decision by changing horses in the stream? Tower of Power would say no. Maybe you could create a poll to allow your faithful readers to voice their opinion with a vote.

Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick? You know damn well who I’m voting for — Ronald Reagan.

Hey, why not?

New thread is up . . .

I’m always down with TOP . . . Best horn section in music . . .