Niners Roll to 2 – 0

When the season started, my hope was a 1-1 start. I figured the Niners would play well but not quite win in Green bay, and they would take care of business in week 2. Well, here we are after 2 tough games, and they are 2-0. No mean feat against 2 tough teams. Again, Smith targeted the WRs for 10 receptions and 150 yards. VD added 5 catches for 73.  The running game clicked again, for 148 yards (Gore had 89 of them). So, the recipe I brought up last week came to pass. Somewhere around 25o passing and 150 rushing  will win games.  The Niners came out on fire, and quickly scored a TD on their first drive, and held Deetroit to 2 FGs. Another TD put the Niners up 14-6 at the half. After trading 2 FGs each, the game was coming down to crunch time. Detroit’s FG closed the gap to one score (20-12), and the Niners get the ball with 9:16 left. To me this is one of the best drives Smth has put together. 3 times, Smith converted long 3rd downs. 3 times Smith went to the much maligned (by me anyway) Michael Crabtree. They converted a 3rd and 7, a 3rd and 14, and a 3rd and 9. The 3rd and 14 was especially great as it was a 6 yard pass, and Crabs got sprung by an awesome downfield block by Frank Gore. Later in the drive, Smith floated a nice pass to VD on the chip-and-go route. He cleared the underneath coverage, and juked the safeties for the decisive TD.  Smith also made a nice 22 yard run, and nearly got his head taken off by Wendling for the effort. Forearm to the helmet? No call. Walker was called for holding however.

Detroit scored themselves later, converting on a 3rd and 17 of their own. Really the only terrible play by the Niner defense as Bell got about 55 yards after the catch. Later in the drive, the refs missed another terrible call as Terell Brown was picked by a WR and Pettigrew scored on the pass over the middle. Then, it just came down to a very curious onsides formation by the Niners as they didn’t drop anyone deep, and K Williams had to chase down the ball on the 25 yard line as Detroit’s special teams was chasing him. In a little bit of redemption for himself, he covered it with no problem. 2-0. The future is looking bright.

The feeling going forward is that these next two games should be pretty easy. The Vikes are a soft 1-1, and we all remember the last time the Niners went to Minnesota. So, at least for me, payback should be fun. A good stomping would be nice. Then we get the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets. They absolutely crushed the supposedly tough defensive Buffalo team, and put up a 48 spot on them. However, they were grounded by the real defensive juggernaut in Pittsburgh. Another soft 1-1 team that on paper the Niners should win.

In other interesting news, the rest of the NFC West won some tough games in their own right. AZ beat NE in NE, The Seahawks spanked the Cowboys, and the Rams (who could very well be 2-0 themselves) beat the Redskins, aided by a stupid penalty by Josh Morgan.

And again, the NFL was rife with horrendous calls. The Ravens were burned on a non-existent PI call that cost them a score, there were two 2-minute warnings in an early game, Alex Smith nearly got his nose broken on a forearm shot directly at his head, and the Lions ran a pick play that was blatantly obvious and wasn’t called.  There were also a couple of PI calls that were imaginary as well.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

31 Responses to Niners Roll to 2 – 0

Shit, Dennis, I left 144 points on my bench, and I’m still kicking your ass . . .

Well the Niners are off to a dream start, looking at the schedule when it came out we all knew getting to 2-0 would be a tough row to hoe, yet here they are.
    1-1 Vikings are next with the only real danger being to overlook them thinking about the Jets and Bills games coming up. Jets and Bills both had reversals of fortunes in week 2, and so dramatically that I have no idea what to expect from either team. I do know one thing though, The 49ers are going to be hard to beat.
    I moved this comment here since it fits in better with your topic.

The Vikes have AP, so they are going to lean on him. Stop him, and the game’s over. The Niners will use their base defense for the first time this year. They’ve been in nickel and dime packages these last 2 games. I don;t think AP does too much damage.

4. Chico says:

I saw the first quarter at the airport and saw some of the fourth quarter on the plane home so I don’t have much to say other that that first drive was awesome, and the defense was really bringing it. Aldon Smith looked like the Aldon of last year. The LB’s and secondary really like to hit – just like last year. Niners fans have a lot to feel good about. Looking forward to watching the game tonight on the DVR.

I think the sports pundits can scrap their “weak NFC West” bull shit.

Yeah, on NFL Prime Time they actually highlighted the NFC West and the job they did against the rest of the NFL. Huge assist for the Ram win goes to the Redskins (and former 49er) Josh Morgan for the stupiest penalty of the year so far when he threw the ball at Finnegan after Finnegan shoved him. 15 yard unsportsmanlike forced a 62 yard FG instead of a much shorter one.

Wow. Both Orakpo and Carriker of the ‘Skins both out for the year with injuries.

Youngstown here we come- after the Minn game the boys get to rest up in Ohio instead of flying back and forth. Last year we rolled into Philly after the layover there and played a heck of a game. Looking for a similar outcome this year. Players seemed to really enjoy some of that Mid West hospitality.

Great game yesterday- except for Dennis who came up losing yet again AND got waxed by Chuck in the FF league. Well okay then.

Manning 3 picks in 15 minutes, ouch.

really enjoying this Bronco game……Chuck, you wanna put up a running widget that tracks Manning vs Smith? my bet with Denny runs all year (or as long as they both stay on the field). Never mind, I’ll probably get one going at my blog……..

Yeah, I’ll do that tomorrow.

Don’t think the J-E-T-S are all that good.

Sanchez is Jekyll and Hyde. The Jets started driving in the second half (into Steeler territory down by 10) when Rex put you-know-who in as QB. Once in Steelers territory, Rex pulled him and put Sanchez back in. End of offense, end of game.
    Maybe Rex and Sanchez are taking turns being Jekyll and Hyde.

I haven’t seen the Jets play this year. How much are they using Tebow?

Almost nil and that’s a good thing. It can beak the QB rhythm to have a run/option guy come in and take some snaps, especially when the starter feels threatened by the run/option guy.

Funny thing is, I see the Niners doing that same thing (a little) as well with Cappy.

I hope they do, it’s a different situation for the Niners than the Jets, Kap doesn’t have the raving evangelical fan base support Tebow does, howling for him to be the starter.

I wonder if Dennis is finally warming to Alex?

He’ll never admit it.

Dennis thinks that his contrarian picks every week seem to affect the outcome of games.

Play God much, skippy?

New thread is up BTW . . .