A Horse, A Horse . . .

My kingdom for a, well, something . . .

Anyhow, here are the exciting OTA highlights.

Still 3 + weeks til camp opens and we’ve talked about Alex Smith’s soon-to-be-crowning super bowl coronation MVP ceremony in 7 months, Randy Moss’s return to relevance to cap off his Hall of Fame career, the NFL’s most dominating defense leading the league in scoring against, and turnover +/- at 34, and the soon-to-be-constructed and filled up stadium.

Hey, it could happen. Me? I think Moss has a decent year, Crabs gets a little better, but the surprise will be AJ Jenkins. He and Super Mario will lead the way for the passing attack. I think Jacobs has a big year as well.  I’m starting to think these guys can go 12-4 on their way to a 1st round bye, and possibly home-field advantage.

A lot will be determined in week  1 on Green Bay.

What do you guys think? Who has a surprising or breakout year? VD goes over 1, 000?  Alex over 4,000 yards? Rogers with 10 picks? Aldon with 17 sacks?

52 Responses to A Horse, A Horse . . .

Yep we will know a lot more about the 2012 Niners after the Packers game on Sept 9 which we will win 27-24. Also during and after Training Camp. But that won’t stop me from making some predictions about our (known) players right now as Chuck asked:

-Our two top receivers will be Vernon Davis with 12 TDs and Crabtree will get 990 yards and 70 receptions.

-The Rbs will be led by Gore with 900+ yards and Jacobs who will score 12 TDs

-LB Novorro Bowman will lead the team with 140 tackles, close to last year’s total.

-C Rogers will have 8 ints for our boys in another monster yeah. BTW check out this transcript of his recent humorous interview in Atlanta: “Jim Harbaugh’s A Little Crazy”

-Aldon leads 9ers with 14 sacks again.

I think Alex will only get better with the new WRs. I look for a lot more fun with the passing attack. Of course the running game will be even better. With the great D the only thing to question is the health status of the players. With reasonable good health it should be a memorable season.

That’s the hope, Nip.

Speaking of Willis:

#10 on the best in the NFL list

4. Grumpy Guy says:

The keys are going to be (1) staying healthy, (2) converting on third down, and (3) 80 or more catches for our #1 WR – Moss? – and and over 60 for #2 (Crabs?), with VD getting about 60 at TE and the third WR (MM?) getting 30-40 James or Hunter on third down with another 30-40. Another 20-30 spread around the fringe guys. If Alex develops chemistry with this receiver corps, those numbers should be easily attainable. It’s only 300 on the year (for about 3600-3800 yards), about 19 completions a game, assuming we run the ball about as much as last year. If not, we could come up just short again.

• phil fan says:

Nice analysis Grumpy. Would you mind advising us how the team is doing to stay on track in meeting those Numbers during the season?

• Grumpy Guy says:

Those numbers could come pretty easily – it only assumes about ten percent more pass attempts, which will fall naturally into line if we are no going three-and-out on every other possession. We could reach them without changing the pass-run ratio. The yardage figures are a little higher, but assume more YAC this year with Moss and James and company. It’s all a step forward over last year but not a huge leap.

If we don’t achieve these numbers, we’ll still be a good team… but I doubt we get home field advantage in the playoffs, or another Super Bowl berth.

Jacobs is a big conundrum. He apparently is out to prove the naysayers wrong, and have a strong year, and has rededicated himself. He’s supposedly lost flab, and packed on some muscle. Yadda yadda yadda. Whatever. If he can convert the short yardage plays, then all is good. The Niners haven’t had a true FB since Bar None.

As far as Smith goes, yeah., I’m thinking 3,600 is something he should be able to reach. If he can do that with a solid running game, then yeah, all is good.

The biggest key IS 3rd down conversion rate. Well, that and their red zone offense.

The Niners stopped a lot of drives with turnovers last year, and they can’t realistically count on having a + 28 in the +/-. They have to sustain drives and keep the defense off the field.

• phil fan says:

Bar None, yeah William Floyd, those were the days. Hope JH can bring them back w/ Miller, Jacobs, Tukuafu…

3rd down conversions, Red Zone offense, 3600 passing yards- that sounds doable, a winning plan.

Ok off to the other farm…no horses there tho

I thought the horse talk might wake Dennis up, but apparently not.

• phil fan says:

Del Mar is another big conuundrum!

Me a big conundrum? Not quite. But this would be one…
        What is round, hard, and sticks so far out of a man’s pajamas that you can hang a hat on it?
        His head.

How much does a pirate pay to get his ears pierced?
        A buck an ear.

Why do the French only have one egg for breakfast?
        Because one egg is un oeuf.

I’ll be here all week. Don’t forget to tip your waitresses and try the veal.

• philippinefan says:

I love shitty jokes; I really do

So Ngata, Ware and Revis all finished ahead of Willis in the Top 100 voting? Sounds like a Chicago election to me, it was rigged. Rodgers ended up being #1. We could of drafted that guy. Instead my life is a living hell because of the guy we took instead. Funny how life works sometimes. In this particular instance, I’m not laughing.

• phil fan says:

Serious, how will ya feel if Alex takes us to the big Dance? What if he puts the Wango Tango on da Bronks and is the MVP? What if he crucifies Tebow/Sanchez and nails ’em to the altar of disbelief in New Yaawk? That would be fitting for a secular atheist but how bout fer youse? What about another crucifiction of the Sinning Saints? Led by Alex?

How would that be fer ya?

Me, I’d be laughing my ass off an slapping fives with everbody in cyber reach! Yeah that’s gonna be real nice…

Alex is still underrated by the national press and that’s to the good. No build-up to future success. Niners may just crush their opponents this season. Very possible with the added new faces.

• phil fan says:

Denny (and Frank) would fall down together if my prediction of this yeah’s team is The Perfect Beast = the 1984 Niners or even the 1988 Team.

Love to see it.

So would Frank an prolly Del mar but we know he’ll never admit it right?

Good luck with the Pussies!

Good things come for those who wait, Dennis. How long did it take Rodgers to get a ring?

“Good things come to those who wait.” Yeah, right. The only two things that happen while waiting is getting older and getting taxed more often.

I like Henry van Dyke’s thoughts on time much better…

Time is
    Too Slow for those who Wait,
    Too Swift for those who Fear,
    Too Long for those who Grieve,
    Too Short for those who Rejoice;
    But for those who Love,
    Time is not.

I prefer Dick Van Dyke.

“I loved to fall down.”

Chuck, it’s funny you mention that. I tell Frank on a daily basis, “Don’t fall down!” “Don’t fall down!” as he walks atop the tables and counter tops. The last thing I need is Frank breaking his foot again. Which he did when he was just a little kitten. He would climb up the kitchen drawers rung by rung until Frank could ring no more. Sinatra was great at Ring-A-Ding-Dinging…

12. philippinefan says:

Repost from above:

Love to see it.

So would Frank an prolly Del mar but we know he’ll never admit it right?

For a moment I thought this was about some guy from Pinole. Close, very close:

Modesto Man Arrested For Public Intoxication After Arriving For Court With Same Charge

Hey Nip you know anything about dis? You know this guy? Tell me this ain’t Rob, please…

Investigators: Homeless man arrested, stays at hotels on other people’s expense

15. twinfan1 says:

I’ve wanted a “Jacobs type” for years, if we could have one or the other-a bruiser or a scat type to spell Frank, I’ve always preferred the bruiser. Now we have the real Jacobs, hope it’s not too late. He’s slow to get started but envisioning him turning the corner on a 1960s Packer style sweep is a nice sight.

Aldon Smith stabbed, he’s OK, few details
    He needs to get his head on straight…

“He needs to get his head straight”. Yep snarkk fer sure. Last year we were sayin’ this about Edwards right?

From Sac Bee blog = Barrows:

“…the Santa Clara County sheriff’s office reported that deputies arrived at a large house party shortly after 2 a.m. Saturday after receiving reports of gunshots…

Sgt. Jose Cardoza said the party was so large — more than 100 people — that San Jose police and the California Highway Patrol were called for backup. He said there were no suspects at this time. “It was a chaotic scene,” Cardoza said. “There was a lot of commotion, and no one knows where the gunshots came from.”

In January, Smith was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol in Miami Beach. Police there said Smith’s blood-alcohol level showed .194 and .176 after he was arrested at 4:33 a.m. According to the police report, other drivers had to brake abruptly to avoid hitting Smith’s car, which was swerving in and out of traffic.”

Well ain’t that the fucking cat’s meow. Way to go Aldon. Jezus at least he wasn’t racing a horse down Highway 17. How old is Al Smith? Grow up time there feller.

That’s exactly what I was doing at his age. …..swerving in and out of traffic and honking my horn to no one in particular……never saw a cop. Now I barely drive and get pinched for a seat belt violation in broad daylight.

Over here No One wears seat belts. Evah. It’s wrong so no one does it. Still there are remarkably few accidents I swear to Gawd Awmighty on da head of Del Mar Dennis.

Aldon must be verrah young- I can forgive that. It happened to me in San Jose as a 19 year old. at the U of Santa Clara (Pastorini was da QB) Big party in San Jose, lotsa booze, lotsa drugs (1966 people) No one shot me, no one stabbed me thank Gawd. Easily coulda happened tho, huh?

Risky behavior like the dreaded Seat Belt Violations? Yeah that came much much later in Sac Town. So I do understand our boy Aldon fucking up a little.

Still my man snarkk has it right: Get a grip Aldon. We NEED you. No one needed ME in 1966 but WE need you SIR SMITH.

We will NOT be the perfect beast w/o you Aldon…

I wasn’t out with Aldon getting him into all this trouble. Well, at least not this time.

Is it just me or has WordPiss actually been functioning normally recently? It’s wrong to have no problems with it, right? Like going up and down the big hill to the city on the coast- it’s too easy. Something is mising. Please don’t accuse me of jinxing it if it returns to previous form. I’m just sayin’.

“WordPiss”

• phil fan says:

I’m just sayin’ WordPiss because of previous bad experiences with them. But that was then: Del Mar was ranting about his favorite QB, Chuck was lounging at Skeefucks, Spitwad was working on getting banned and WordPoop was having mental problems.

This is much bettah

My new Gravatar is an alternate view of Alex’s career highlight- running it in against da Saints. Suggested by Dennis. Berger, eat your heart out man.

Click on picture for larger version.

New post is up . . . . .