NFC Champion Saints?

I guess it could happen, but the Saints appear to be imploding from within (franchising and thus pissing off Drew Brees) and from the outside (Bounty-gate, sanctions, fines and suspensions of coaches and players) on and on. The players can’t be very happy that the front office decided to take a stand with their unquestioned leader and heart and soul of the team, the city of New Orleans, and the whole goddamned state of Louisiana. Add to that the GMs suspension, the head coach’s suspension, and some of the players getting tossed as well, it makes for a clusterbomb of epic proportions. The team has until July 16th to make this happen, and then Brees has the option to sit the year and collect the franchise tag tender of $16.4 million, sign the one-year  tender, or hold out for his want of a little bit over $20 mill per on a 5 year deal. The Saints offered something near $19 mill but that’s not enough apparently.

I’m sure once he;s under contract,. all will be OK as far as the team goes, but there’s still the fact that the team is without its head coach for the year. Gregg (genius) Williams is long gone anyway (sorry StL, you walked into that spinning propeller), so it’ll be very interesting to see how the team responds to the absence of Sean Payton. The NFC South isn’t exactly a powerhouse, with the Falcons unable to get out of their own way, and the Buccos pulling the full-monty reversal from darling to doormat to now an afterthought. That leaves the Panthers as the possible upstart that takes the suddenly Saintless division, should they falter. If they could play decent defense behind Cammy, they’d be well on their way to respectability Regardless of what Alex Smith says.

43 Responses to NFC Champion Saints?

In other non-relevant news, Justin Smith was voted the 17th greatest player in 2011 by his peers in the NFL. Pretty good for a guy who doesn’t get a lot of press or pat his own back. Ray McDonald could have been on that list as well. According to the breathless folks at the NFL Network, there is one more Niner on the list. He’s in the top 10.

We all know it’s Alex Smith.
    Uh, Patrick Willis I mean.

The only question is if he’s top 3. It’ll likely be 1. A Rodgers, 2. T Brady, 3. Drew Brees, then 4. P Willie?

Alex Smith in the top 10? Good thing I wasn’t sipping on a beer or cocktail when I read that statement. That woulda produced a spit-take of gargantuan proportions. I hate to waste good alcohol.

I could see PW as high as #4. It all depends how offensive-minded the players voted with AP, Foster and Megatron still on the board.

NO. Alex won’t be in the top Ten we know this. But still P Willie ain’t too shabby right up there.

Given the current coaching, GM, ownership (Jed), da defense, we can expect serious Title Contention. If the wheels fall off and they don’t make to the Big Dance this yeah, well it happened to Bill W a couple times. It don’t happen this year it Will. Happen.

It will happen. Soon enough.

Even with the gold standard of ownership and coaching of Dynasty 1 under DeBartolo and Walsh we didn’t win the Super Bowl Every year. Bitter as it was then to lose to the Redskins, the Vikes, the Giants we still look on those years as great ones. Generally I’m not a patient guy but following the Niners back then forced me to learn some.

We just had a great year and more to follow. I can deal with that. Oh and every QB doesn’t have to be Joe Montana. Only one JM

We’ll see, Phil. Problem is, expectations are now over the moon once again. Yeah, they have a shot, but athere are a lot of things that can go bad during the season. Look at Philly, StL, and TB fior recent examples of expectations gone south in a hurry.

I don’t think they’ll fall off that badly, but a couple key injuries can derail a season very fast.

• phil fan says:

Yeah true, so many things can go wrong. We were lucky last year and far, far exceeded expectations. I’ll stick with sticking my neck out a little with 11-5 next year, win the NFC West, see what happens in the playoffs.

Last year we really blew out the Div early and peaked in our first playoff game. As said with the Pack- hopefully we beat ’em when it counts- the 2nd time. Can there be any doubt our men gave it all they had and then ran outta gas and playas in the NFC title game? Our sked is tougher this year but we “should’ be deeper. It all depends of flukey shit like injuries, luck. That’s normal but given the sky high expectations some will scream regardless.

I hope we Beat the Saints again on 11/25 convincingly, win the Div and advance to the playoffs with few injuries. The rest is gravy, right?

Sandusky of Penn State ill repute convicted of 45 counts of child sex abuse; bail revoked. What was “Papa Joe” Paterno thinking to keep this creep on his staff forever??

Well, I’m glad Joe Pa paid the piper before he met his fate. And I;m real glad Sandusky will never see the light of day again,

Yeah, if the team stays relatively healthy, 12-4 is the hope. 10-6 still gets them in to the playoffs most likely though

Be careful with your hands.

But please wash them first.

He once went to the Virgin Islands, when he came back it was just called islands.
        Go tell the Clydesdales I’m ready.

Clysesdales, hmmm. I have a brother named Clyde but he’s just an irrelevant Buddhist weasel so I might stick to St. Bernards. Supposed to be some purdy good shit in those little casks they carry. Actually refrained from imbibing last night… howevah “NFL”

Sad business with Sandusky- for the kids he damaged. Hopefully the healing can begin for them. Penn State will live with shame of employing such a perp for so long and doing Nothing. Probably won’t affect them much tho. Football as usual.

Yeah somewhere in that range 10-6 to 12-4. Definetly hard not to have high expectations after last year. Used to say back in Dynasty 1 “Goals are go 10-6, Beat the Rams, win the NFC West, see what happens in playoffs”. This was after a couple Super Bowl wins but bitter experience and disappointments made me ‘a little more’ realistic…

I’ll guess 10-6 or 9-7 for the Saints off the top of my head but don’t see them winning their division or doing much right

Denny is that horse in yer avatar being introspective, worried or what? I can see him thinking “Jeez when is Del Mar gonna get outta bed and muck my stall?”

Phil, that’s Frankel. The best horse on the planet. He just improved his record to a perfect 11 for 11 this Tuesday at Royal Ascot by winning the Queen Anne Stakes by 11 lengths. It would be my honor and privilege to pick up his shit. It would class me up a bit.

I’m thinking more along the lines of 9-7 and this is where we’ll be come playoff time…

BTW, only 183 days to go. Got your shopping done yet?

12. Berger says:

Sandusky is on suicide watch. Why? Let him kill himself.

13. renoberger says:

Anybody hear what Joe said about Alex Smith? It’s exactly what I’ve been saying for years, including the offense sucked. Do I listen to the Alex haters or Joe Montana when wanting advice about Alex Smith? Hmmm!

14. renoberger says:

Looks like wordpress changed my name to my old one.

15. Berger says:

I finally have a gravatar! And, changed my name back!

$30 million out of the stadium project – see yas in court. I think the 12K voters who approved this deal were idiots, but that’s a different story. Santa Clara was the home I came back from the hospital to, way back when Alex wasn’t even a bad dream.

17. Berger says:

RT- Joe Montana is backing Alex Smith!

18. Berger says:

Thje 49ers should just take all the parking revenue or hold back on their lease until Santa Clara pays on their promise. What would be better is id the 49ers check out SFs offer now. Heck, the stadium has just been started. I know that won’t happen, but it would be cool to see Santa Clara lose the deal because of a few county politicians trying to buy votes with voter approved money.

I saw you posting that about Joe Cool, Reno, so I thought you’d appreciate the comment!

20. Berger says:

I always appreciate you comments RT, even though we never agree about Alex. Agreeing should not be why we frequent these blogs. Debating, confabulation and finding info is a better use. Of course, it never is a bad thing to agree! Oh, and a little good natured chest pounding and in your face ribbing(see my 6:10 post)!

No problem, Reno. I’ve been wrong before. I’d owe Zero $100K had he taken me up on my proferred bet two years ago (I’d been Uruguayan now). I did get Jason Pierre-Paul right, though they’d have had to have passed on A. Davis or Iaputi (imagine JPP and Ald. Smith along with J. Smith – geez scary). Jury is still out on Christian Ponder. Anyway, who cares what Joe says now; he’s even older than I – I think dementia has set it on the Great One.

22. Berger says:

I feel bad for Ponder, he has Singleneuron on his side as asst head coach.

Harvin wants out because the situation is so bad and I don’t know if “Ponder is the future” is part of the problem. I just think the organization sucks and the HC is a doofus.
    I wish we could get Harvin somehow. Bye bye Ted Ginn.

24. Berger says:

Ponder looked good last year. I really like what I am saw from his back-up Webb. Webb is going to be good if he gets a chance. Ponder will be too. Question is, who will get that chance? It is Ponder’s job for now, stay tuned.

Ponder’s OK. How much more than that remains to be seen. He gained 20 lb this offseason? He on the barry Bonds weight gain plan?