Whither Goldson?

Dashon Goldson, the mercurial free safety, is making noise like he isn’t going to sign his $6.2 million franchise tender. The 2 sides are apparently nowhere near being close on a contract extension, and he already scoffed at the 5/$25 mill offer he got last year. I’m sure, coning off his pro bowl year, that he wants more in the order of 5 years and $40 million.

Good luck with that, Hawk. Goldson, who is the definition of inconsistent, will not get that kind of coin from the Niners. Safeties are easier to find than CBs, and besides, the Niners scored big time last year, getting Donte Whitner and Carlos Rogers off the 2nd tier free agent pile, and drafting Chris Culliver last year. This year they also have Trenton Robinson from Mich St, and Michael Thomas from Stanford, who are both up and coming guys. Beyond that, Goldson’s play, to me has been so hot and cold as to be infuriating. He had a great year last year, but his play in the NFC Championship game was indicative of the problems he causes. He broke up 2 ints by teammates, and nearly killed Tremaine Brown on the 2nd one. That one was maddening because the play was in front of him, and he should have backed off and let Brown make the play. Instead, he went for the highlight reel hit and ended up injuring his teammate.

That is his style though. He makes big plays, but follows that with missed breakups, bad angles, and missed tackles. He has had long stretches of not playing very well surrounded by a hot 5 game stretch in 2009, and last season’s breakout year. Yes, he made the pro bowl. Yes, he had 6 picks. But, he was helped in no short measure by the immensely improved pass rush, and the retooled secondary around him. Do I think he’s a good player?  Sure. Do I think they should drop a 5/40 deal on him? By all means no. He tried the hardball route last year, and came back with his tail between his legs and signed for $2 mill. He’ll end up like dear old Aubrayo Franklin did. Off the team, a free agent, and scrambling for half the coin he thought he was worth.

They have other options in-house right now, and would not miss him too terribly if he decides to sit out this year. They have other players to sign to long-term deals (hello, NaVorro). i mean, the Saints without Brees are in much more a world of hurt than the Niners without Goldson.

57 Responses to Whither Goldson?

Chuck bleeps Dashon! Where’s Phil?

Info on Michael Thomas, per Matt Barrows:

S Michael Thomas: Like draft pick Trenton Robinson, Thomas is on the small side – he’s a shade under 5-10 and weighed 185 pounds at Stanford’s pro day. But he’s been productive with the Cardinal and is very familiar to Jim Harbaugh having played since his freshman year. Thomas showed very good athleticism at his pro day (10-foot, four-inch long jump; 38-inch vertical jump) but perhaps his biggest advantage is the lack of bodies at safety. Taylor Mays, Reggie Smith and Madieu Williams are no longer on the roster and Dashon Goldson likely will miss a big chunk of the offseason. That means Thomas and some other young safeties – such as 2011 practice squadder Cory Nelms – promise to see a lot of action this offseason.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/05/the-d-list-under-the-radar-49ers-who-have-a-shot.html#storylink=cpy

Goldson couldn’t tackle me and my surgically repaired hip in the open field.
    Adios muchacho.

4. Grumpy Guy says:

Goldson is too enamored of highlight reel kill shots, and not enough of fundamentals and playing the ball in the air. He was an upgrade over the horrible days of Mark Roman, but he is overpricing his value to the team in this market. I think Robinson may be starting there by next year in any event.

Goldson’s total tackles have declined the past three years…94>80>67. Dashon’s always seemed to me to be the type of player more concerned with making the ESPN highlight reel with a spectacular hit than making the less assuming yet surer tackle.

That said, I love to see players get JACKED UP!

6. philippinefan says:

Here Goldson is going to fulfill the guess I made last year: he’s gone. But can he really be that stoopid? Why yes he can as proven by leaving what? $25 mil/5 years on the table to shop around and find what the open market thinks? The market already has spoken: Goldson is worth a
    coupla mil a yeah. That’s rich! All ‘highlight reel kill shots aside- good one Grump- agree with Del
    Mar, Chuck and Grumpy, he’s too inconsistent on the field. Even Dennis can see Goldson’s shitty tackling skills suck eggs. Our local loan shark has better angles than Goldson. Goldson = the Son of Gold which we know is what? Lousy stinkin’ paper currency, a fraud. Yeah he’s the son of gold alright, hahahah

But there IS one thing this guy is consistent in- he consistently over-estimates his value, his worth, his ego, his brains. Fuckin’ moron! This is the guy who played hardball with Baalkebaugh last yeah and learned Nothing! He wouldn’t recognize his ass if it was handed to him on a plastic plate, which it was.

Goldson ponders his future: “Hmmm, let’s see Pro Bowl, many interceptions…yep I’m great. Better sit out the yeah, leave the Franchise deal on the table and go get the big payday next year. Good thinking! I’m the son of gold!”

We’re all scrambling to pay the bills in the current economy and this guy won’t take the offered millions? As Chuck would say: Hyuk, hyuk.

If Chuck ever combines a “hyuk” and a “Skippy” in the same sentence, I’m gonna lose it.
    That is if I have anything left to lose. Hell. For a “hyuk” and a “Skippy,” I’ll go borrow some more just to make sure I can lose it once again. Usurious rates be damned.

Here’s a tip: if you ever walk into a bank in need of cash, and the loan officer’s name is Skippy…Don’t even bother. Just turn around and walk slowly away and to your nearest watering hole. And just pray, PRAY I say that your bartender isn’t named Skippy as well.

8. philippinefan says:

Good point Del Mar. So far to my knowledge I haven’t been honored with the Skippy honorific. Not yet. That’s yer department; you, the departed Spitwad and NoFear’s. I got the Hyuk award a few times though.

Chuck would seem to like Not having this blog be about him but We Are What We Are. We do what we do. It is what it is, sadly…

Phil, you hit on another one that really gets my goat…”It is what it is.”
      That one is fairly new and is used pretty frequently by many athletes.
      I take that back, it’s used by many “Skippy’s.”

What is your take on this, folks?
    Smith being an asshole, or a sportwriter reaching desperately to be controversial?
    What a crock of shit.
    And, before you get wound up, Dennis, shut up.

I provided Smith’s comment and Beason’s reply on Twitter earlier on Skeeber’s.
      Let’s just say I was surprised by Smith’s comments and leave it at that…for now.

And by that I mean specifically that Smith brought up Cam’s name when talking about 300 yd games. Found it to be out of character. Not the usual innocuous, innocent and lamblike Alex. Maybe he has a personal beef with Newton? I dunno.

Maybe Alex is tired of apologizing for leading the team to the brink of the Super Bowl. Numbers are one thing (hello Steve DeBerg), winning another. And who the fuck is Jon Beason? Makes me wish we played Carolina this year.

Chris Chase is a total weenie, besides. Nothing about any of this is a big deal. But of course anyone saying anything about anyone else is news that must be digested and regurgitated over and over until all parties are quoted and properly castigated for saying anything more than “I’m giving it 110%”

11. Yep that’s true Chuck which is why I’m giving it 200% of these bottles of cheap scotch. For me tho it’s good Alex displays a little ‘asshole-ishness’ after practically walking on water (except the 49er river was, you know, dry) for 6+ yeahs…

But if anyone has the right to gloat ‘a little’ in this league vis-a-vis the latest one season wonder it’s Alex. Was it outta character? Maybe. If ya consider “humble loser Alex” his actual character. Which I don’t. I know Del Mar will never agree but I think the guy will out-grow the loser label. As he done this past season. He’s been there where Cam is at. In his opinion both have been good players stuck in bad bad situations. Like Newton is… Seemed to be factual not as the writer, wazizname? wanted to make it, personal. Baloney.

Look, Alex believes he’s Good. Harbs believes he’s good enough. What us sideline pundits think is not a factor. Last season Alex Smith was good enough to take us to the promised land. But…one giant Butt…the San Francisco 49ers were not quite good enough. My take is old Alex more than most KNOWS no matter how good the Qb, no matter how many yards passing get racked up, it won’t be good enough with a buncha mediocre stiffs on board. Hello Newton!

Like most everything AS sez it rung true Chuck

Dennis must be flat on his back in the stable. The horseys are tugging at his ear. Somebody get in there and get him up! Sunday is here! Another sports day is upon us.

• philippinefan says:

“Another sports day is upon us.”

And we are sadly and completely unprepared as usual. For a minute there I thought the body they found in in Barn 8 at the Derby was old Del Mar but then he turned up at Skeebs claiming if he was to croak at the track it would be in Barn 11 and he would be taking #11 with him…good thing twin didn’t see that or we would be hearing endlessly about ‘death threats’….vewy vewy quietly everbody

So the most Dennis man in the world is on another blog? This is unthinkable! What will Chuck say? BLEEP!

• Ha Chuck is over there more than here: “Skeebers 49ers Outsider” and they both are at Flavor’s “The Flap” talking beesball. Which I don’t speak. The links are up above on the right side @ Blog Roll.

You shoulda seen Chuck going after Spitwad at Skeebers. I almost felt sorry for the Wad for a minute there

13. philippinefan says:

More on AS comments from Orly Rios (AKA “Oreos” in grade school):

San Francisco 49ers: Alex Smith Hits the NFL with Some Cold Hard Facts

14. philippinefan says:

Colder than my Ex’s heart. Harder than expecting to see a reformed Spitwad

Chuck’s last comment was nearly 70 hrs. ago. Studies show that when people go missing and/or are kidnapped, the first 48 hrs. are the most crucial in hopes of their recovery. Chuck’s long overdue. I wonder if he stipulated in his will who gets possession of his blog? I’m too lazy and Phil’s out of the country. Looks like it goes to Nipper. I’ll have to bring an extra case of beer and an extra shovel each time I visit from now on.

Don’t plan my funeral ‘fore the body dies . . .

17. Dennis I got a theory about Chuck: He’s recovering and resting from a brutal past couple years. On his blog, “The Wad! The Wad”. Not to mention the dually-diagnosed fan. On the field: Soaring from the miserable depths of the NoWit / Singletron eras to the recent heights of the miraculous ’11 season only to muff our way outta the Dance. That’s a load my friend for anyone to handle.

‘Sides we just heard signs of life from the man. Wisely he’s saving energy for the 2012 campaign when the 9ers burst forth to shock and astound the world once again. And also when the many stooges burst forth to add several extra layers of baloney before, during and after a 19 game season.

He’ll be back. That’s my theory and I’m stickin’ to it my friend.

18. philippinefan says:

Or, Dennis, do you think his 9:39 PM above is merely a deceptive communication from ungodly kidnapping body-snatchers? Or far worse, manipulative mind-controlling nonsense from The Wad or, shudder, from the dually diagnosed fan??

…vewy vewy quiet people…

If by dog you mean fanily, then yes.

T.O. just got released from the Wranglers. Nadir? Here’s a shovel, start digging.

Dennis is going to drink to that.

• philippinefan says:

He’s out the MF egotist…screw him Butt I won’t go as far as snarkk and say “Fuck him”. I’ll say this to Terrell Owens: “Good luck dude. That’s more than you wished us OR GARCIA.” Buh-bye DICKWAD,,,,

• philippinefan says:

Yeah it’s Ovah, finally

Another ex-athlete on the skids being chased down for kid payments on kids they never see.

Ouch. Nip lays down thel law . . .

This is Bob Barker reminding you to help control the human population. Have your WR spayed or neutered.

We’re barely into OTAs and I can feel the rants a gonna be top notch this yeah!

24. And just in case I ever need a special insult for my buddy Del I just found one: “You maggot infested truckload of lost stable sweepings”.

That’s nicer than Chuck’s FU right?

25. Did I mention I Hate Goldson? I do. It’s good therapy. Mainly because there are so few things left to hate about the Niners. I don’t hate him as much as I hate The Chief Dickwad aka Mother Superior The Spy, Skeebers. That too is real good therapy but it’s a different story. Where is NoWit or Singletron when you need him? It’s okay we still got Goldson to hate.

After what Harbaugh said today vis-à-vis Smith and Manning, I’ll never believe another word he says. There’s lying and then there’s acting like a mook. Harbaugh’s a fucking mook.

Good, Dennis. Start your whining 3 months before the season starts.

Just wait til you get a load of the next post Dennis . . .

• Grumpy Guy says:

I’m guessing that’ll be Lies, DAMNED Lies, and Jim Harbaugh?

Don’t get me wrong. I love the guy. He gives me a warm feeling deep down in my dark bitter heart. Oh, wait, it was only acid reflux. But yeah, I yeah me some Machiavellian Asshole.

• Grumpy Guy says:

*love me*. Crap, I can’t even type when I’m sober. That just isn’t right.

• phil fan says:

That’s why we have this place Grumpy; so we can whine bitch and moan with impunity. And with bad logic and poor typing. If not with impunity then prolly with punity at least. By which I mean our esteemed (when he’s not getting steamed) leader is a far more human soul than one soulless, geekish poser, that freakish box of repulsive dog meat (my favorite insult)… that infantile glob of malevolent rhino turds…that sycophantic tub of unsightly turkey puke. And WHO might that be? Spitwad? Dickwad? well maybe, Dennis? HARBAUGH?? Hell no! Get wid the program man. I’m struggling to hold down my lunch while typing …..skeebs hideous moniker. Gag!

I do like the fact you appreciate good bold faced lying in our leader. Dennis will be a far happier man when he realizes Most People Are Lying. I should learn that too prolly.