Alex Smith Death Watch

Criminy, how much bullshit can one guy endure? The strange and terrible saga of Alex Smith’s American dream rolls on. Granted, I think some of the other transgressions perpetrated on him by the 49ers were worse than Manning-Gate. Nolan’s chucking him under the bus in front of the rest of the team and the media after his shoulder separation, questioning his toughness, throwing him into the Saints game (in’07, I was there) where he was pounded relentlessly, and Nolan left him in there with a bad shoulder to take numerous shots until he finally pulled him midway through the 3rd quarter, Martz’s preseason bullshit that Smith tried to work through and couldn’t, Jimmy Hat’s horrifically putrid offensive game plans, and Singletary’s snide media comments,  sideline screaming rants and subsequent yo-yoing of quarterbacks. For as much media-driven angst as this seems to be causing, the worst case scenario is for Smith to leave.

The thing is, everyone knows this. Everyone seemed to know it before free agency started. Which is why the Niners original offer was low. Smith was coming from the erroneous assumption that he could get Kevin Kolb (5/63/18 guaranteed) money. The Niners were coming from the assumption that a $3 million raise (and a 3 year deal) should be enough going forward. Low-balling? Sure. But again, this last offseason was one marred by the lockout and a whole lot of craziness that ensued once free agency started. The Niners knew that Manning was out there, plus guys like Matt Flynn, and lesser talents like Ortron, Gross Rexman, JJ, Hasselhof, etc. Through all that BOTH sides said Smith was coming back. How much that played early on for his value won’t be known, but it sure didn’t seem very high once he did hit the market. Most other teams out there feel that Smith is the creation of Jim Harbaugh. For good or bad.

The rest played out as we saw. The Niners took the midnight train to Georgia (woo woo!) (work with me here, it’s Gladys Knight and the Pips) and tried to sneak away with the Peyton Manning prize. That blew up in their faces amongst the hurt feelings and a morning flight to Miami. So, here we sit. The only viable option is for Smith to come back to the 49ers. The only question is will they hard-line it at this point, and stick with the 3/24 offer they originally gave him? There’s something to be said about Seattle giving Flynn, a veteran of 2 NFL starts, more money than the 49ers are offering Smith. Smith WAS supposed to visit with Sea, but instead signed Flynn before Alex could get there.

I think he comes back. The Niners will kick down a little more scratch for the bullshit they put him through. I think it happens later today. By the time the OTAs roll around, the wounds will have been healed and all will be well going forward. As well as they can be with Alex at the helm. I kid, I kid . . . This IS the best scenario for everyone involved.  The latest revolting development in all this is the talk of Tim Tebow coming to the Niners. God help us all . . .

68 Responses to Alex Smith Death Watch

Speaking of Dennis, has anyone heard from him since Manning announced that he’s going to Denver?

• twinfan1 says:

“In San Francisco, Harbaugh is in an awkward position. First he insisted Smith was his quarterback and issued a three-year, $24 million offer to prove it. Then he flew to North Carolina last Tuesday in an unsuccessful attempt to sign Manning. Now, Smith is looking at a multi-year offer from the Dolphins reported to be worth $8 million per season, basically the same annual salary as the 49ers were willing to pay.”
      That’s one. Find the fucking links yourrselves. I should have a dozen or so by day’s end or you people can discontinue the lie that he had no options. Garrard wasn’t fucking signed to anything more to a deal similar to a “make good” contract like Ramon Ortiz got. Garrard’s is one year with zero guarantee unless he makes the team. That was after Smith left Florida to meet with Jimbo..

• Flavor says:

according to you he would be making 13 million a year or so, right? But strangely those offers never came. Hmmmm, I wonder if you were, um, wrong?
        I told you all what the market for Smith is a while ago. Miami confirmed it with the money they supposedly discussed in their discussions about signing Smith.
        He’s got 3 years and 24 million on the table. If he gets another 2 million or whatever then fine. But he’s not getting an offer, FROM ANYONE, that’s markedly better than the NIners offered him.

• twinfan1 says:

I said what I believed he should get. I’d be delighted to see what you called BEFORE the Niner offer.

2. irishman5574 says:

don’t know about Dennis, but yeah, the ruffled feathers will get smootned down. I think the bigger issue is will Alex trust Jim? JH coached him to success, but appeared to have thrown him out on his ass and telling him to go find a new home. So it is wait and see time for how all this pans out. press conferences will have the usual “we are family” feel to it when the contract is signed. but behind closed doors???

Alex will be back! Miami is a joke at best.

4. twinfan1 says:

Smith has steadily become a better QB,mostly despite his coaches. If one can read, his improvement is clear – as I’ve pointed out and is clear to see- the main difference in Alex from when Raye left last year and this year is NOT Smith as much as it’s 6 points per game less that the defense gave up in 2011…

The point remains that Miami signed Garrard AFTER talking to Smith. Whether Miami felt Garrard was the wise choice, If theyu felt Alex was coming to SF anyway, or if they were merely covering their asses to get someone in may not be known. But in the end it means Smith isn’t going to Miami. They are NOT going to sign Smith after signing Garrard with Matt Moore already there.

I figured 4/45 was what he’d get. I was a little off. . .

• twinfan1 says:

I don’t think he’s still going to Miami, never even inferred that. If it makes you people happy to fabricate the nonsense that Garrard was chosen because they thought he was BETTER, go for it. That’s like saying the Giants signed a reserve outfielder instead of Beltran because the cheaper guy was a better player.

• Flavor says:

they went with Garrard for a single reason: he’s cheap and it buys them a year or so before they draft the next *guy* or they sign a QB during next year’s free agency. But if you want to tell yourself that the Smith *haters* think Garrard is better and that does the job and keeps you pissed off about this whole thing, then go for it. Anything to keep yourself mad, right Twin? It’s like when you thought Harbaugh was tweeting Barrows. Same shit designed to fuel your anger over this.
        Here’s the deal: I’d bet $10 that says you’re 100 times more upset about all this than Smith was/is…..

• twinfan1 says:

Why would I be mad that Harbaugfh was tweeting Barrows? I thought he was saying he was going to meet with Alex. I was hardly mad about that- I just misunderstood and said so. Try that one of the few thousand times *you’re* wrong..
        Anyway, I ike the bet. How do you propose we prove it either way? Do I collect if I’m just 99 times more upset?

• twinfan1 says:

BTW, if it’s a problem that it upsets me that a good man and good QB who does good things for young people, has been repeatedly thrown under the bus by this organization ( an opinion once shared and voiced by Harbaugh), check your ethics at the door to Room B..

6. twinfan1 says:

As to Dennis, I already told you- DNA is being run on a splat on the sidewalk next to an alchohol rehab faciiity.

I didn’t predict what Smith would get paid, just that this was the best spot for him and I said I thought he’d always come back. The Flynn deal is a joke, Seattle panicked and offered him something he couldn’t refuse. Does Smith deserve more than Flynn? Of course. But the market has spoken on what Alex is worth right now…

8. twinfan1 says:

It was the best spot for him before the stupid Manning flirtation, whether it is now is uncertain. They’ve given the QB more weapons but they’ve clearly demonstrated that it’s Kappy, not Smith, who they’re catering to. Whether Kappy will be “all that” is a seperate discussion,but it was stupid of them to insult Smith by making the preference so transparent. What I suggested made far more sense for everybody- 5 years 60 million, about 20 guaranteed, but with a “bust out” clause that would get the team out of it if certain performance goals were not attained.

9. twinfan1 says:

As NFL.COM says :
    “Admirable of York to stick to his guns, but after the team lost out on Manning, it’s Smith who holds the cards. Peyton he’s not, but Smith was more than just a functional quarterback in Harbaugh’s offense last season, and the drop-off to Colin Kaepernick would be fierce for a team that came within one game of Super Bowl XLVI.”
    This was after Garrard signed. What the rest of the board doesn’t understand is while Smith may have limited options, the Niners aren’t exaxctly awash in them, either. Harbaugh would have zero reason to be meeting with Smith to mend fences if they thought they had better options now.

Harbaugh has a lot of hubris and I DO think HE thinks he’s a “qb maker”. If he doesn’t think Kappy is ready then I could see him signing the Tampa QB and seeing if he could “coach him up” a little more.
    I suppose Hassleback would be an uninspiring option, too.
    So that’s 3 possibilities and it won’t be the end of the world if the Niners have to go down that road. But again, I’m fairly certain Smith is coming back….

11. twinfan1 says:

“I’m fairly certain Smith is coming back” So does about everybody else, I think he will, too. I just wish he wouldn’t. Interesting that you think that would be “leaving them in the lurch” after they’ve just finished trying to dump him.

• Flavor says:

well, “a lurch” might have been overstating it. Smith would be my preferred option. But they have those other 3 as well.
      And your 11:57pm post is the EXACT reason I compared you to Dennis on this issue. You care more about the QB than the team if you wish he would leave. Smith playing QB for us next year is the best thing for the team. There is almost no debate about that. Dennis, of course, cares more about Alex Smith failing than he does about the team. I also don’t think either of you are too objective about Smith (he thinks he sucks, you think he should be making 13 mil a year and that he’s been totally and irreparably damaged and disgraced by this ordeal. Of course, you are both wrong. And no, I don’t think those were exactly the words (damaged and disgraced) you used, but based on the cascade of post from you calling Harbaugh a liar and wishing Smith would leave the Niners over all of this, it’s how I suspect you feel about the situation)….

• twinfan1 says:

I wish he wouldn’t, as I posted long before the Manning fiasco. It’s time for both to move on. That he’s still trashed after this year is total proof of it. But just knock off questioning my team loyalty- I’ve rooted for them with Troy Smith, Shaun Hill, even Pickett- I’d root for Alex wherever he went, but I’m a 49er fan first. I rooted for them when Singletary and Nolan coached- I can suck it up for Harbaugh, too. Unlike many here, I credit the players,even Smith, for their success in 2011, not just Harbaugh.
        Now I really have to go, I’m late.

• Flavor says:

I don’t recall you posting anything about bidding Smith farewell before the Manning stuff happened but maybe you did. I remember a post shortly after the Manning thing got going. But, I don’t recall every post. I wasn’t questioning your team loyalty. I was saying that if you believe Smith is the best option for the team this year (and of the qb’s who remain available, including Manning, I know that both of us feel that he is our best option) then I just don’t understand why you would wish he would leave.
        Now, would it be best for Smith personally to leave? Maybe it would. if he went to another team where the fan base wasn’t so disillusioned and blinded by his career in SF up until ’11 then they might not doubt him the way the Niners fan base does if he went out and produced another season like ’11. The fact that the team would be worse if Smith left but you hope he does for personal reasons is why I said what I said earlier. Sorry if you took it a different way..

12. twinfan1 says:

Well, soon the Splat should be back, and Grumpy, you can chat with those NFL insiders. Gotta go for awhile..

13. twinfan1 says:

Oops, sorry Grump, Phil, Splat, et al:
    “ESPN’s Adam Schefter said, via Twitter, San Francisco could be scratched from the list of interested teams,(in T-Blow)

• Flavor says:

I don’t understand why you pay so much attention to what the twit-idiots have to say. They’re almost always wrong. Just let shit play out and THEN comment on what’s actually happened.

• twinfan1 says:

Whyt are so fucking concerned about who I respond to. Mind your own business. I pay attention to what’s being said around the web. So do you. I comment before everything happens. So do you. I’m right sometimes, wrong sometimes, you too.

• Flavor says:

because almost all of these *rumors* you are posting are designed for one reason: generate doom and gloom so you can hammer away on Harbaugh again about he fucked this Smith situation up. And I don’t think the situation is fucked up at all. It wasn’t handled too skillfully, it would have been simple to offer him the deal and just tell him they were going to visit Manning too. But they didn’t and it’s over. Everyone but you is moving on.
        Now when Alex signs for about the same amount of dough as he was originally offered then we will be getting a near elite qb at a bargain basement price. Hardly any *doom and gloom* about that. But it hasn’t happened yet so I’ll wait before celebrating his return as our starting qb. And don’t lump me in with all the idiots who jizzed themselves about Manning coming here. I’ve been 100% AGAINST that and FOR Smith returning as our QB from the start of this saga……

14. twinfan1 says:

Because you think he’s a hopeless bottom of the barrel dweeb without Harbaugh..
    I post rumors here for the same fucking reason I do on your blog, Information. And I post regardless of who or what they favor.

• Flavor says:

I think he’s a “hopeless bottom on the barrel dweeb”. Ha, I’d like to see you repost the post I said that.
      Another completely out of line, over the top exaggeration about how I feel about Smith— I’m used to them now, without them you wouldn’t be able to keep yourself in a froth over this…
      I think Harbaugh took him to another level last year. I posted comments from Alex who feels the same way. Want me to go re-post those quotes from him? You’re the only one in the world who doesn’t think JH took Alex’s game to the next level. And please, enough with your post-Raye bullshit. Alex has already said, in print, that Harbaugh coached him on every single detail there was to coach him on……

• twinfan1 says:

Funny shit from a dude who consistently pretends to know what I *really* mean. Unlike Flavoro, I don’t put a lot of stock in player comments.Smith’s improvement as a QB before Harbaugh can’t be denied unless you “fuck the numbers”…

15. irishman5574 says:

You two need to take a break. This Alex Smith drama is not worth the anger I see going on between you two!!
    As far as I know neithr of you are getting paid to analyz any of these rumors or whatever they are.

So just chill!!

Alex and the 49ers are destined to be together for all eternity. The point is, the Niners would regress with JJ as their QB. Manning may or may not have been the savior a lot of people think he’ll be. Look at the polls around the nation. Denver is now 6-1 to win the Super Bowl, or some shit. Same with Philly last year. The point being all this shit is just that. Shit. Until they play, it’s all speculation. Denver will probably win their division, but make it through the playoffs? Not a chance. Not with that team. Manning’s best bet WOULD have been to come here.

Did the Niners handle this badly? Sure. Read my thread. Smith has been through tons of shit with this organization. It’s like that crazy chick you used to go out with. No matter how bad or weird it got, you kept coming back for more. Did Smith overvalue his worth? Yes. Certainly Hasselhof would be serviceable if he could remain healthy. JJ? Ehhh. Placeholders. Smith very well may be a placeholder, but their best plan for immediate success is and was with Alex. Smith’s best opportunity is and was here. Everyone knew this before FA. They BOTH have limited options. Smith’s value in the real world isn’t as much as he thought. Some felt that way, some didn’t. Is there a lot of animosity toward Smith? Hell yes. Does he care? Obviously not, as he’s put up with more shit this side of John Brodie.

As has been the case his entire career, his best option is to remain with the 49ers. This is intensely galling to some, even after the season he put together last year. If he WAS going to split, he should have done it after the 2008 season, when the 49ers wanted him to renegotiate his deal. He could have demanded a trade. Or just asked for his release. He chose to stay, and here we are.

17. twinfan1 says:

Actually, defending Smith *is* my job. Ballpark, it’s one Smith “apologist” to every 100 Smith haters, so it’s a tough job, especially without pay.

• phil fan says:

Without pay? Hold it, you got 60 cents coming from me for your good work so far (3 days). That’s 2.40 – 1.80 penalty (see new Condon Rule) = 60 cents/24 centavos.

You paint with a broad brush there, Twin. There’s a fair smidgen of respect for Alex here.

Dennis notwithstanding. Although I’m a little worried about him. Not a peep since the announcement. Anywhere that he usually posts.

5 years, 96 million for Manning. Wow, that is an absurd amount of scratch to lay down, considering all of his risks. Once again, I am SO HAPPY we didn’t sign him. Elway probably doesn’t care about the sum of the contract. He’s not just paying Manning to play, part of the 96 mil is that it allows him to trade Tebow—- not even those dumbass Teblow fans can argue with this signing…..
    And it’s a perfect situation for Manning. I’d say he’s probably lost about 10% or so on his throws. At that altitude he might get that distance back 🙂

• Grumpy Guy says:

I’ve heard Denver can cut it to one year / 18 by letting him go next year. Maybe Elway just wants one year, get rid of Tebow, then draft the ‘Next Guy’ to take over in 2013.

Well, JJ is now joining the soiree. He recently said that he wants to join the 49ers and figtht for the starting spot. With or without Smith here. He may come out this week for a visit.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Johnson only makes sense if Alex refuses to sign. He is a journeyman. If we have to go that route, we’d better hope CK makes a big step up this TC.

• snarkk says:

I’m in favor of an all out competition for QB, if that includes Johnson, so be it. That’s the way it should be, for any position for that matter. We’ve got some upgraded WR weapons now, it is time to open up the offense…

Manning will be lucky to see 1/3 of that contract. Guaranteed or not.

22. Grumpy Guy says:

At most, he goes three years, and that is optimistic. Two is most likely, which is why there is a big payout in year two. Contingent on PM passing the 2013 physical. Denver needs to have a future guy behind him, ready to take over when the time comes.

I saw that. Something like a $40 mill bonus if he passes his 2013 physical . . .

The longer this drags out, the more likely the Niners say sayonara to Alex.

I figured tonight or tomorrow that he’d sign, but if JJ comes to town tomorrow, then what? 3/20 for Alex?

Dennis where are you? Are you under the table or above it?

Grump, where dfid you read that Manning was leery of coming here due to the Super-Bowl-or-Bust mentality?

• Grumpy Guy says:

Twitter. This was one tweet from Peter King at SI:

Peter King ‏ @SI_PeterKing

Tenn source tells me Titans felt Manning turned off by circus potential there … Source in SF says SB-or-bust feel would have bugged PM.
      10:53 AM – 19 Mar 12 via TweetDeck

Apparently a deal will be announced shorty between the 49ers and Alex Smith.

Alex is making 10 times a month in interest than most of us live on in a year (conjecture). He doesn’t need the job or the money. He doesn’t “have to” come back to the San Francisco Forty Niners (fact). Longer this drags out with no commitment from the team- and there has been damn little when ya seen the NFL virgin Flynn signed for more (fact). Fact is he’s been the whipping boy of this organization for a very long time. Fact is he’s been dissed one more time by his employers. Fact is his ‘good buddy’ Harbaugh is looking more like Baalke 2, Nolan, Singletary = Mr. Hardass the Second, Third, Fourth. Fact. Carry yer own fucking clubs asshole (fact, lol). I agree with twin on this more and more the longer it drags out. And here I thought Twin was joking (fact…)

Oddly I find myself agreeing more and more that Alex is / should be done here (twin). You talk about pissing in the pot? You talk about dissing the guy that led the Niners to 13-4 first time since the demi-god Young was here last century? Yes you are because these are facts.

So here’s Phil’s conjectures: He’s done here, the Free Agent Smith. Highlight of his 49er Career was the last 5 minutes of the Saints spanking. Alex Smith has Nothing Left To Prove To This Team, it’s coach, the freakin GM OR TO HIMSELF and certainly nothing to prove to any fan. But for Harbaalke that is relatively unimportant because they value him differently- yer not going to get top dollar kid. FACT. “It wasn’t enough, try a little harder, take it or leave it”. FACT. Skeebs was upset about this shabby treatment and so is Twin. But nothing like Mr Smith’s upset (reasonable conjecture) who now is asking himself “When will it ever be enough?” (reasonable conjecture). “Never!” will be the obvious conclusion (pure conjecture). Followed by “I don’t need this” and “Time for a real nice vacation”. Buh bye SF.

He’s done, it’s ovah. Harbaugh blew it with his #1 QB something Bill Walsh NEVER did. FACT. Way to go Harbs and way to go Baalke. Go find another pot to ‘piss’ in. There’s lots of QBS out there.

Alex, take care of you my man. Your time will come.

No doubt Alex will sign in the next 10 minutes….

30. twinfan1 says:

“The NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi reports the 49ers have agreed to terms with Alex Smith on a new contract. Financial terms were not disclosed”.

31. twinfan1 says:

20 minute since Alex signed and no comments? I guess everybody’s already partyin’ hard…

All’s well in Ninerland! Wake up Dennis!

• Flavor says:

I said all along he’d be signing with us. I’m happy it’s finalized but this was like celebrating the sun coming up. You’re happy to see it but you knew it was coming……..

32. irishman5574 says:

Just got home from work reading current news report, nothing we didn’t already know was going to happen

33. twinfan1 says:

Well, they got the best QB west of Burlington, Colorado… now I’ll be interested to see how the relationship plays out. I’d think Jimbo will be a litlle shy at first, Perhaps coffee, a group get together, later a film, some light petting.. it’s gonna take awhile before Alex..well, let’s just give them some space, they’ll both need some “coaching up” for the magic to return…