The 49ers Jump into the Manning Pool ! !

. . . and Peyton Manning is the beginning, middle, and end. Things seem to be quieting down. The 49ers are looking at WRs (Schillens, Lloyd) and RGs (Schwartz, Davis), and are basically hunkering down for the conclusion of the Peyton Manning sign-a-palooza. Apparently, Miami is out, as Manning doesn’t like Stevie Ross, the Dolphins owner. So, Miami goes and low-balls Flynn because they were never really in the running for Manning? Wow. They look like the dumbest franchise out there. I don’t think either Smith or Flynn sign anything until Manning does.

There’s still a plenty of time for this to drag out, and Manning is now starting to throw passes. He’s at Duke U throwing for the Broncos now, and they are apparently offering 5 years, $60 million, with $30 mill guaranteed, for his services. A veritable bargain. Could even get the Niners interested, but it looks like it is down to Denver and Tennessee at this point. If I’m Manning, Denver has to look pretty inviting, with that weak-ass division to flourish in. A deal like that isn’t going to help Alex Smith’s bargaining position very much, but I’m still pretty solid with my prediction of 4/45/18 guaranteed.

UPDATE: Per Matt Barrows, Jim Harbaugh flew back east to watch Manning throw yesterday, and that the 2 met for a while. Seeing as Manning’s agent is Smith’s, you have to wonder how this plays out, but the reluctance to sign Smith certain’y takes on new meaning as the Niners throw their hat into the Manning ring.

129 Responses to The 49ers Jump into the Manning Pool ! !

Chuck, you might want to start a NEW thread. Mort reports the Niners are IN on Manning.
    He worked out for Harbaugh last week. If this happens, I’ll believe in God again.

Did we sign Peyton Manning yet?

Whither Manningham? He dropped in, then flew out. Too expensive?…

Niners with Moss AND Manning would become the clear-cut favorites to win the SB.
    Beat us if you can.

Unreal. The numbers certainly aren’t onerous. The $30 mill is a bit steep, but Manning wouldn’t last 5 years anyway.

Fuckin’ A. Why not?

Now it’s “why not?” Not two seconds ago you were adamant against Manning at any and all costs. Why couldn’t you just admit it back then?

Alex or Peyton? I should be flogged for just typing that sentence.

PEYTON MANNING!!!

How does Manning work out and take a physical for the Niners, and the only guy that finds out is Mortensen of ESPN? https://twitter.com/#!/mortreport/statuses/180715600677584897
    If true, these local “Insiders” are ALL friggin note takers, not reporters…

Because the nunbers for Manning are a lot less than I thought they’d be, Dennis. But $30 mill guaranteed is a tough nut to swallow. They lose Smith, Cappy is still in line to take over in a couple years, and Cappy better be ready.

Shit, who knows? Maybe this is a message to Alex Smith to get in line.

This could be an epic fuckup or a ticket to the promised land. I have no fucking clue how this plays out. I never thought they’d be in this position, but here we are.

• snarkk says:

Why would Manning come here — the defense is great, but the WR positions are in total flux. Maybe it was the secret Colts QB handshake — Harbaugh handed it off to Manning, and now Luck knows it already from Harbaugh…

Well, Peyton Manning has said on more than one occasion that he doesn’t want to go to the NFC for the reason that he could knock his brother out of the playoffs.

A Manning ploy to get more $$$?

Harbaugh would have to cede a lot of his offensive philosophy to Manning and change the entire system. Still think it’s not really a great fit but hey, who knows?

How about the Niners sign Peyton and trade him to Indy for Andrew Luck?

Makes about as much sense as what’s going on now . . .

I don’t believe for one second that Manning BS about not wanting to play in the NFC because of his brother. You always love your brother, but just as much, if not more, you want to beat your brother. This would give Peyton the chance when we get a rematch with the Giants. You think he’s happy little bro has 2 SB’s to his one? No.

Well, I guess this puts to bed for good the claptrap that they’re totally satisfied with Alex Smith. Maybe Harbaugh’s heard that Peyton clubs better as a caddy…

Well, of the teams he’s looking to join, he’s got a better shot of advancing by coming west. Either in Denver or SF. Tennessee? I don’t think so . . .

Is he here yet?

14. Kevin says:

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the San Francisco 49ers have emerged as one of the three finalists to sign free agent quarterback Peyton Manning.

The other two teams are the Denver Broncos and Tennessee Titans. According to Schefter, the Arizona Cardinals “have been advised that they are to proceed as if they will not get Peyton Manning.”

We already knew the Dolphins were out.

Schefter, who broke the 49ers news on SportsCenter early Friday afternoon, reported that San Francisco secretly sent club officials to watch Manning throw at Duke University on Tuesday night. The 49ers’ representatives were said to be “very impressed with what they saw.”

The Niners have already given Manning a physical.

And this explains whey they haven’t re-signed free agent quarterback Alex Smith yet.

15. twinfan1 says:

Most likely, Condon is just using the 49ers, with their consent, to drive up the price on Manning. Alex appears to have known about the “secret” interest in Manning, according to Barrows. We should find out soon enough.

• twinfan1 says:

I don’t think it can be taken seriously until/if he actually shows up at the 49er complex.

Let’s just get one thing straight. You’re still for Alex and the 49ers at 20-1 to win the SB rather than Manning and the Niners as the favorites?

You must like to bet the “field” and “hard ways” on the craps table as well.
        Sucker.

I don’t believe it until there is a Niners press conference.

16. Grumpy Guy says:

4-1 against even now. A lot of things still have to fall into place just right. But the chance is there.

17. Kevin says:

I agree TF, Until Manning comes to Santa Clara for a workout it just does not sound like it would happen.

Kev, if Manning comes to my Niners, the record shows I called for it first.
      You and everyone else for that matter won’t be able to live with me this year. More than usual…

• Grumpy Guy says:

Yeah, but we’d forgive you, Dennis, because it would be worth it.

Grump, that’s what I’ve been trying to tell these fools — it’d be worth it! So what if it’s for only 2 or maybe 3 years? With our D (now virtually signed thru ’13) and Moss AND Manning?

Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Fuck the rest of the NFL. It’s Christmas time here.

18. Alleykat says:

I could totally dig a Manning sigining.Lot’s of weapons for him to drool over to throw too.Vernon Davis,Moss,Crabs,Gore an Hunter and Miller out of the backfield.Throw in Delanie Walker and add a Coby Fleener for 3 catching TE.Still grab another big WR in draft and were set for the SB!

19. twinfan1 says:

With them sharing the same agent, whatever goes down will be beneficial to Manning *and* Smith. But why don’t you boys put your dicks back in your pants until something actually happens?

query: who gives them the best chance to win next year’s SB, Alex or Manning?
      No need to answer, I already know your answer. Why does Vegas so vehemently disagree? Do you know more than Vegas? Do you know what happens when Vegas makes a bad line and losses money? Death threats not only happen, people die. Vegas isn’t in the losing money business.

Let me be the first (should we sign Manning) to wish you all a very Merry Christmas!

• twinfan1 says:

Dennis, we all know of your fragile mental state, I’m quite worried for you. I’ve ordered a 24 hour suicide watch for you, at my expense, should the Manning deal not work out…I didn’t want to frighten the other patients, so the patrol will be undercover…

Grab a 12 pack Dennis! Happy Hour has started for you early today.

21. twinfan1 says:

I’ve posted many times that I hope Alex does leave, and I certainly do not believe he’ll go unsigned, I’m sure he’ll be Ok, I’ll be Ok… but really, how will Grumpy and the other dwarves cope if Manning *doesn’t* sign? As I told poor Denny, I would genuinely worry for you. Death Threat has my E-Mail and I probably have meds that would help you cope. Don’t hesitate to ask…

TF, you’re right. If Manning doesn’t sign now, I’ll be a small blurb in your obit section soon: Del Mar Dennis 1966-2012. Education: Wasted. Talent: Wasted. Horses: Wasted a shitload of money on them. But I still love them. Giants: Wasted all of his life on them until they finally won in 2010. My few friends: They’re wasted right now as well. Family : Wasted chromosomes. 49ers: You killed me, now bury my wasted ass.

Bartender!

22. Grumpy Guy says:

LOL: I’m not worried. I don’t expect it to happen. And I don’t take football or you seriously enough to care. Don’t worry though, wherever Alex eventually ends up he’ll have one fan, You.

Exactly one fan.

23. twinfan1 says:

Wow. That would be quite a coup for me, Grumpy.

24. twinfan1 says:

“And I don’t take football or you seriously enough to care” Maybe you’ll share the cost on Death Threat’s suicide watch, then. We know how much *he* cares. You’d be less than a caring friend if won’t share in helping him out…

25. Kevin says:

And Lets be quite clear here, IF the Niners get Manning and do not get to the 2012/2013 SB or lose in SB this signing will be clearly seen as a bust by most if not all Niner fans. And Harbaugh and Trent will take big hits also. Most of if not all of you here (except TF) are basing all of your hopes on the 28-30 year old Manning the dude is 35. Montana went to KC and did not go to another SB. One good whiplash like hit and that neck will be useless. One good hit and the arm will be nothing more than a wet noodle. And then your Starting QB is going to be Kappy, cause there is going to be no more money to sign a quality back up!!

Kev, simple question: would you rather have Alex or Peyton next year?

• Kevin says:

You would make a great GM, Just sign him!!…Alex that is. It is not a simple question. If Manning was 27 years old like Alex is, then yes Sign him in a NY minute!! But he is not, Manning has a lot of baggage. You are blinded by what he has done in the past. prior to last year all his numbers over the previous three years have been declining. They aren’t going to miraculously start to get better.

Kev, you still didn’t answer my question. Your love for Alex is over-flowing. I get it. But with Manning, we have the best chance. Get on the train. “All Aboooooorrrrrrd!”

• Grumpy Guy says:

Montana did not our defense right now. He did not have Andy Lee getting five or ten yards on every punt exchange either.

KC had other needs besides a QB. A better coach, for one. What are our other needs? One more WR in the draft? Depth? I think we can do that.

Roll the dice, if he is willing to play for a little less and get his shot at another ring. If not, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Alex is not going anywhere, unless we cut ties with him.

Hey! Anyone else cooking corned beef for St. Patrick’s Day (my middle name) tomorrow?

I got myself a little Shenson’s flat cut with the seasonings. It’ll be enough for myself and a few of my neighbors. I don’t profess to be any chef, but I try. My late Mother (God rest her soul) was a fantastic cook. I learned a few things. I really should have paid more attention. But I’m sure my dumbass was too busy watching the boob tube looking for racing results and/or scores to really p/u the tricks.

This I know: when you slice the corned beef, cut ACROSS the grain.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day.

Well, aside from a few minutes of giddiness (11:32 am), I still don’t think it happens.

The fact that they share agents leaves me wondering if this is gamesmanship on Condon’s part.

There are too many ???? to do the deal. Yeah, the Niners are set defensively. But offensively Harbaugh and Manning are worlds apart. Ans I don;t know if Harbaugh is willing to loose the reins and give Manning carte blanche to run the O.

Still thinking Denver. . .

28. Kevin says:

The Denver Post is reporting the Broncos are offering Manning a contract in the neighborhood of five years and $90 million – Manning’s last contract with the Colts.

Maiocco is now saying the numbers from Denver are 5/90/30 . . .

. . . not the bargain reported earlier . . .

31. Kevin says:

Yeah, not exactly chump change!!

Kev, you didn’t answer my question. Who would you rather have as the 49ers QB next year?
    Alex Smith or Peyton Manning? Answer my question. Answer that question.

• Kevin says:

Hey, are you calling me a jerk??? Read my post carefully:

You would make a great GM, Just sign him!!…Alex that is.

The 49ers have enough cap room. Money is NO object. Manning isn’t asking nor expecting the moon in his next contract. He want’s to WIN. The Niners give him the best chance to WIN.

Sign Peyton Manning now. This is NOT even an option: Alex or Peyton?
    You choose, Alex?

34. twinfan1 says:

You try that same bullshit repeatedly, Death Threat. Why don’t you read Lynch’s brilliant piece on it? Smith is better….

35. twinfan1 says:

Now I reallly am hoping the Manning deal goes through. Who plays QB for the Niners is just not worth a man’s life. Trent: do it for Death Threat…,

Where would you like your Oscar sent for that over-dramatic speech?
      “Not worth a man’s [my own] life?” I’m not worth it.

And, seriously, I’d appreciate it if you’d stop with the “Death Threat” shit.
      It’s old and tired. Find me a new name.

36. Grumpy Guy says:

Matt Maiocco: One NFL executive who is closely monitoring the situation told CSNBayArea.com, “Alex Smith has no place to go.”

Read more: Smith no longer controls own fate with 49ers

Chuck, simple question: would you rather have Alex or Peyton next year?

My NCAA brackets are about to take a huge DUMP&.

FU Mizzou and all like you. You dicked me.

Norfolk St. just beat Missouri. I hope that state gets flooded within the next two days.
      Fuck Missouri.

• twinfan1 says:

You’ve shown over the years why you should never bet on anything, Death Threat. Look, I’m not exactly flush, but as you know, I’m generous even to your kind ( Dennis must be from Alabama, he thinks Obama is a Muslim and has a forged birth certificate).Do you need likker money for the weekend?

• Kevin says:

Bend over and grab your ankles…Mr. whoopie wants to say hello.

39. twinfan1 says:

OK, hadn’t seen DTD’s request for a name change. I’ll go with Dennis Hussein Abd-Smith…

Dennis is rolling around on the sawdust floor today and he’s still sober.

Personally, i”m not thrilled with either Alex returning or Manning possibly coming to SF. If Manning is in such good shape, why would the Colt’s let him go when they could draft Luck and let him apprentice a year, and Manning could ride off into the sunset a Colt with a last season’s worth of blowing kisses goodbye? I’m just very leery of a bad neck with that many surgeries. One thing it does show me is that the Niners with Harbaugh are definitely playing in the big leagues; the Days of Doofus with Nolan and Sing are long gone…

42. twinfan1 says:

Well, they might as well get him if they can. They’ve already poisoned the well after going within those botched punt returns of the Super Bowl. If they don’t get him, and turn to Smith again, the hate regulars will be all het up anew and even the ever tolerant Smith would be contemplating which of those 1001 ways Jed should suffer… no Manning, they really should then just go with Kappy- no diff anyway- 8-8 either way…

Snarkk, beccause to GET Manning for this year would have cost upwards of $47 mill ($28 mill bonus, $19 mill salary).

It’ll cost a pretty penny to get him HERE, but I digress. Manning still wasn’t throwing by the time they had to make their decision.

I guess you have to give Harbaugh kudos for exploring every option.

Regardless of the animosity it causes.

kudos…..

• snarkk says:

Chuck, I would have thought if both parties really wanted Manning to return, they could have negotiated the bonus and salary down. But, seems with the injury and the money at stake and Luck coming, neither side had the stomach to go further. I just think a 4X operated neck is a bridge too far to bet the farm on, but I don’t know the medico details. I do know Manning avoids getting clobbered now by throwing the ball out quickly all the time, so his WRs better get open quickly. In the current WCoast system, I’m not sure that is what is supposed to happen, even if they had good WRs…

44. twinfan1 says:

Despite how little credit Smith is getting for it, this year was an exciting, unexpected delight. With Manning, fans, and more importantly, the team, will and should expect perfection and the Super Bowl NOW. A couple early losses and Manning would not be too comfy in the clubhouse. He’ll be in a situation with absolutely zero tolerance for failure by his teammates. People like Dennis Hussein Abd-Smith may hate Alex but his teammates love him.

45. Grumpy Guy says:

Young makes 49ers’ case for Manning

Steve Young, the former 49ers quarterback and current ESPN analyst, made a compelling case Friday for a Peyton Manning-49ers union. And he even predicted it would happen.

“They know that they’re the best answer for Peyton Manning,” Young said of the 49ers. “They know they have the best defense in the league to offer. They know they have the offensive weapons. They know they have a plan. They know they have Jim Harbaugh. They know all the things are in place for a guy like Peyton Manning.

“It is the best opportunity for Peyton Manning. They knew it and they waited until all the wannabes kind of exhausted themselves, then they came in right at the end, and that’s probably why they will land him at this point.

“Unless somebody does something unusual. Or maybe Peyton is looking for something different than I think. But I know Peyton Manning is looking for a team to join now, and win a division now, and go to a Super Bowl now. And that’s the San Francisco 49ers.”

• twinfan1 says:

It’s a compelling case for someone other than Wiliams returning punts against NY, that’s what it’s a compelling case for…

46. twinfan1 says:

Well, as I pointed out, they have to get him now.

From Peyton’s point of view, Denver and SF have strong defenses. Would he get more conrtrol of the offense here or there?

48. Grumpy Guy says:

He gets the best defense here, AND Frank Gore AND David Akers, AND Andy Lee.

49. Grumpy Guy says:

Per league source via Skeebs: Manning wants to make a decision by Monday or Tuesday. He has mostly made up his mind I think. If we want him, I think we can get him. Overall odds are running in our favor, maybe 2 in 5 now.

50. twinfan1 says:

Are these your odds?

51. Grumpy Guy says:

Yep.

52. twinfan1 says:

I’d say it’s 1-10 now they get him. But never bet a lot to win a little. Dennis Hussein Abd-Smith needs to pay attention to that. Man, it’s going to get real chippy when they’re 4-4 and Manning’s out for the year.

53. Grumpy Guy says:

What was their record when Alex was out two years? Injuries are part of the game. Anyone can get hurt. Our offensive line is getting better – A. Davis is starting to look very good at tackle, and Goodwin helped solidify the middle this year. Only when Chilo went it did it stink, and he is gone. I’m not excessively worried if Harbaugh is not.

We wouldn’t go 13-3 with Alex this year either. We won’t have a +28 in turnover ratio again, because that does not happen very often, Even for good defenses.

I’ll take Peyton for 11-5 or 12-4 and a solid playoff run over Alex any day.

As for 1 in 10, time will tell. I think Harbaugh and Baalke are pretty good at what they do, I’ll defer to their judgment.

54. twinfan1 says:

1-10 were the odds to get him, in other words- I ‘m saying they will..but you’re dead wrong about most everything- Manning goes to the Super Bowl or it’s a total failure. Already making excuses for him, wow…
    If I thought you’d actually pay up there are some nice Smith/Manning wagers out there…

55. twinfan1 says:

Amazing. The Manning crowd is already making excuses as to why they won’t do better than they did with Smith this year.

I love this reason for picking up Manning: “Any player can get injured in football, you can’t worry about injuries”
    Um, he can’t throw the ball as far as he used to throw it. That’s got something to do with the unhealed nerve damage. When he can feel his fingers, get back to me……..

• Flavor says:

In other words, of course you can’t predict an injury in football, but you can damn well ferret out the guys who’ve had 4 fucking neck surgeries and who’s fingers feel like someone else’s……….

• Flavor says:

or you could ignore all that and hand them over 90 million. It would be borderline pathological to sign Manning………

• Grumpy Guy says:

Harbaugh and Roman went and watched him throw, talked to him. Really think that did not come up? Really think guys who have coached for years cannot tell if a guy can no longer throw?

I’ll be happy to accept Harbaugh’s verdict. If he says Manning should pack it in, and we are not interested, we move on. OTOH, if Jim Harbaugh thinks he has something left, I’m inclined to listen.

57. twinfan1 says:

Yeah,right… there’s no way a 36 YO with nerve damage to his neck could suffer more damage under game conditions,…I don”t think the Grumpster recognizes the severity of the injury and the possible consequences of reinjury.As the Colt medical expert Hassan A. Riaz, MD, MBA said:
    “if Manning were a bricklayer and applied for permanent disability through Social Security, he would ultimately get permanent disability because of the fact that he has already had two cervical surgeries to correct issues with pain and neurological deficiencies and has to use his hands to make a living”

Well, Manning wants 5 years. So does Smith. Neither will stay more than 3 barring unreal circumstances, Although Smith has a better shot of surviving the life of the deal. Cappy’d get traded?

Still think this shit doesn’t happen. I will say, though, if Harbaugh is really a buyer, he has to be comfortable with how Manning looks. THAT said, until he comes here for a visit to meet Jed, it’s still a pipe dream.

Sheezus, MY neck hurts just looking at all this Manning baloney. Decide already, and be done with it…

• twinfan1 says:

Ummmm.. baloney. I love a fried baloney sandwich. You do it real hot until the edges are charred and it curls up. This is the one legit use for Wonder Bread outside of Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches. You eat this while standing over the stove…puddling catsup into the curled up baloiney is optional but highly recommended…

Snarrk is in pain!

60. twinfan1 says:

Ome of the problems with team medical staff is that their first concern is to get the players on the field. Since that was no longer a priority with the Colts, they could release him due to his condition. Harbaugh is not qualified to judge Manning’s health and unfortunately the 49er physicians primary concern would be whether he could play now, not his future health. Again, this is a man who qualifies for permanent disabilty..i

Matt Barrows speculates that Manning came to the Niners, not the other way around.

62. twinfan1 says:

You know, no matter what a fan thinks of Smith as the future QB, only a lowlife slimeball would be *happy* that it appears he’s getting fucked after this special and exciting season…if they lied about this so called offer while plotting the Manning pursuit, Harbaugh and Baalke are total douche nozzles. And they’d pay when 2011 turns out to be their only successful season…

63. Alleykat says:

Nobody took more punishment at QB then the guy with the longest neck ever Steve Grogan who played16 yrs.He had neck injuries and even wore a neck collar brace(like Dennis when he’s feeding his horses) .But he still played!
    And he was recently quoted as saying about Peyton: If he’s cleared to play go out and play.Peyton has the fire and drive and will prove people wrong.

To me all QB’S have that mentality.Steve Young would have stilled played after he was clocked by Arenas Williams in Ariz.Suffering his 98th concussion, but the Doctors finally had to put him in a straight jacket and sedate him and calmly tell him your threw with football.

64. twinfan1 says:

You can help him tie his shoes when he’s 40, Kat. Many athletes need to be protected from themselves. The fact that Manning wants to go should not be a factor. You have to wonder what painkillers he’s alreadty receiving, some of which mask pain so effectively that reinjury is difficult to detect.. But, whatever,as Monte Poole notes, “Does Harbaugh want to put his integrity on the line? That’s what he’d do if Manning signs with San Francisco. The implicit message to everyone in the locker room: Watch what I do, not what I say.” But, football wise, the real bottom line is this: “Smith is a healthy, ascending quarterback, while the 36-year-old Manning is an injured, descending player.”

65. Alleykat says:

He can do his own shoes Twin, Valcro Straps are easy.

Did we sign #18 yet?

Hey, Chuck. When I tried to type, “Did we sign Peyton Manning yet” for the umpteenth time, it said it was a duplicate comment. Thus the, “Did we sign #18 yet?” Any way to fix that? Or is that some sort of spam filter? I guess I’ll have to try and become creative. Good look with that shit.

68. twinfan1 says:

USA Today poll has the Titans favored at 53% Niners 23% Denver 20%
    This is FYI, I have no comment on it…
    Buit I kinda like Manning to the Titans, Hasselbeck to SF, Smith to Seattle..

No, Dennis, it’s not a spam filter, it’s an idiot filter.

It’s working . …