Free Agency Day Two . . .

. . . and there’s still no word on Alex Smith and his deal (or lack thereof). The latest news so far is Adam Snyder signed a 5 year deal with the Cards, Shawntae Spencer was cut, and Joshua Morgan is gone. So, unless these guys think Randy Moss and Chilly Rachal are more than adequate to be the starters now, they are in the market for a RG and a couple WRs. The Niners signed Perrish Cox and re-upped with Carlos Rogers to beef up their secondary. Reggie Smith has slipped down the depth chart once again. The D looks fairly well set going forward into the draft.

The offense? Well, there’s a ton of guys still out there to be signed. Chaz Schillens stopped by, as well as Brandon Lloyd. Schillens is a pretty solid guy who sems to have problems staying healthy.  Lloyd? Been there, done that, but the guy consistently puts up big numbers. It could work. Royal’s out there as well. He’d be a nice replacement for Ginn, as I don’t think Ginn or Kyle Williams will stick. This leads me to think these guys go heavy on the offense in the upcoming draft next month. As far as guards go, Evan Mathis is out there. Nicks was signed by the Buccos. The Saints signed Grubbs to replace him, and there are other out there still available like Geoff Schwartz, who is scheduled to come visit the Niners today. Leanord Davis stopped by, but he’s likely done at 33. I think they sign one more FA WR, a RG, and maybe a TE.

The draft will likely be tilted toward the offense as well. Unless some big NT fialls to them in the early to mid rounds . . .

22 Responses to Free Agency Day Two . . .

1. Kevin says:

Test test, having trouble posting

2. Kevin says:

I guess for some reason WordPress logged me out.

3. Kevin says:

Anyway, I think when all is settled, Alex will be a Niner. This seems to be a dance that all free agents do.

Long-term, I’m not that concerned. I just don;t think Cappys ready at this point. I don;t want him out there this year for on-the-job training. Losing Smith means a step down, if only for this season.

Chuck, what’s the deal with no re-upping Snyder? The guy was reliable and could play multiple positions in a pinch…

• Alleykat says:

Snarkk….Snyder mentioned he has a home in Chandler Ariz,his wife works there,relatives yada yada.Plus Niners did’t offer him a contract.Guess he was not in their plans.
      What pisses me off if that is the case why not have Carl All World Nicks come in for a tryout?Dude just signed with the Bucs.Would have been the perfect RG for us.Guess they didn’t want to spend the coin to get him.

• snarkk says:

Thanks, Kat. There’s always off-field considerations, but we fans aren’t made privy to that stuff, and it’s important to these guys, like any of us. He got a good offer, he gets it all free of state tax, I’d grab it, too…

One thing I’m liking is that with Harbaugh and Co. on board now, it appears he and Baalke are working together well. They have a plan. I’m not privy to what it is obviously. But, they seem intent on keeping a really strong defense on the field. Offense is secondary in the equation, but they’re now paying more attention to that, as it should be. The moves they’ve made seem to be more calculated, not willy nilly as we saw under the previous 2 regimes. You’re probably right they’ll go after more offense in the draft — another OL body now that Snyder is gone, and gotta get a young WR, a burner, I’d say, and another RB. We’ll see what happens with Chillens and Manningham and Lloyd. If we get Manningham or even Lloyd, I’m feeling better already. Neither’s all world, but a sure upgrade over what we had. Problem is there’s crazy dough being thrown at WRs. Moss, Manningham/Lloyd, VD, and a burner WR draftee would make things look better heading into OTAs…

I’m not sure about that Snarkk, unless they are sold on the rooks from last year (Person and Kilgore), and they hope to pick up somone in FA. Chilo certainly isn’t the backup. I guess they figure Snyder’s replaceable. Schwartz is here for a look. But he’s 335. Pretty big for a guard. Mike Brisiel, also available, is more of a zone-blocking guys who’s 305. I mean, 5 years for Snyder? Seems a bit much. Looks like another case of someone else overpaying for our guys? We lost Baas last year, and it didn’t hurt as much as I thought.

They sure tried much harder to keep everyone on the defensive side of things. So, yeah, going forward, they atart looking at offensive guys. Yeah, I’d love any of those WRs. There’s still time to get some new faces on offense before the draft. RB? I suppoed they might find someone in the later rounds, but they have Gore, Hunter, Dixon, and Miller. Odd man out could be Dixon. He;s done nothing too spectacular, but he hasn’t really had many chances either.

• snarkk says:

I predict Gore will really slow down this coming year. He’s already showing that the latter half of the seasons he just loses steam. Hunter’s OK, not great. Dixon must have been caught spitting in Harbaugh’s ice cream, he seemed like a guy poised to do well, then got tossed in the dog house. I’ve seen stuff about bad work ethic, but WTF does that mean? Seems vague. So, I’d like another RB choice — round 3 or 4, a guy that can catch the ball. I miss the days when SF used to throw the ball a lot to its backs — what kind of WC offense do we have when we rarely throw to the backs?…

• twinfan1 says:

He might have torched his chances when ( in a seldom mentioned key sequence in the NY game), he failed to pick up a first down with 2 carries and 3 yards to go…

If I recall, those were Dixon’s first carries of the game. Seemed a little strange at the time since they’d been going with Gore and Hunter all game up to that point.

9. twinfan1 says:

Did I see that Rock Cartwright signed? Good call, he’ll be a decent back up to Miller and he’ll make up for Costanza’s loss on ST…

I heard the Niners were looking at him. If so, great.

11. Kevin says:

For those of you who are into where the FA have gone, here is a pretty good site

• Kevin says:

And it has a running clock on when the draft is going to be, 42 Days, 2hr, 43 mins and seconds are running!!

Nice link Kevin. I’ll put it in the blogroll . . .