Escape From Behind the Orange Curtain . . .

I’m back. Disneyland nightmare and traffic hell notwithstanding. I set the blog to stop taking comments too early, so that last one shut down prematurely. Sorry. I fixed that problem.

Anyhow, not much brewing yet in 49er-land other than speculation on when and how the team will replenish its depleted WR corps, and when the first shovel hits the ground on the new stadium (scheduled to be ready for the preseason games come 2014). I’m imagining the Niners hit the FA WR market hard, as there are a ton of guys available (minus Dwayne Bowe and Wes Welker apparently, as they’ll be franchised by their respective teams. The only real news is the fact the the Niners told Shawntae Spencer that he’s available for trade. Something he’s up for due to his injury-marred season, and his sinking on the depth chart. After an 8 year run as starter, he was relegated to 3rd string and very little playing time. The Niners feel the Tremaine Brock and Chris Culliver are the way to go. As do I.

KC tagging Bowe leaves the opportunity for the 49ers to go after Brandon Carr if they don’t want to retain Carlos Rogers. Rogers had a great year as the #1 CB on the team, but his age (30) and his pursuit of a big deal may preclude the Niners from going after him hard. Carr is 25, and is his equal, if not better. Whitner is locked in for a couple more years, and the young guys are all in as well. The same applies to Goldson and Ahmad Brooks. You have to wonder, with the plethora (how’s that for WOD?) of players that come available, if the Niners may let some go to greener pastures while scooping up some bargains. I don’t think the Niners will keep both Goldson and Brooks. They are both looking for big paydays. Throw Rogers into the mix, and they are on the hook for a ton of payout. Not even mentioning the 3/~$24 mill that Alex gets. Yeah, they can afford it, but there will be changes and signings. They won’t stay pat. Esp as the WR spot.

I think this is where they try to make the biggest splash free agent wise. I’ve gone over and over the ton of quality guys available. Irregardless, the FA period coming up is going to be very interesting. Pittsburgh is saying they are willing to let RFA Mike Wallace test the market. Pitt is in FA hell and stands to lose some big names off their team. He would cost the Niners a 1st round pick, and an offer high enough that Pittsburgh declines to match it,  but would be well worth it for what they’d get. A true #1 guy who is young and tough (started every game for his 3 year career) and has his best years in front of him.

41 Responses to Escape From Behind the Orange Curtain . . .

Is this thing still broken?

Ah. Seems like you can post comments once again. But that doesn’t exonerate this blog from not being broken. Speaking of broken, who else here can claim broken bones as the direct cause stemming from a 49er loss? Lt. hand X2 and Lt. foot once here that were verified by X-rays. There were a few other times when I didn’t even bother with the goddamn ER. Too depressed.

My hands must be tougher than yours. Over the years I’ve punched a hole through a:

Closet door (only half-way through) . . .
      Wall (2x) . . .
      Car windshield . . .
      Wood table . . .

And no broken bones. However, no people or animals were harmed in the aftermath. I’ve also related the story of throwing a lawn chair 350′ down a hill in Belmont after Roger Craig’s fumble in the 1990 NFC Championship game . . .

I fixed that problem. However, I can’t start a thread. I have to reply to someone else’s.

If I didn’t know better I’d think TF was messing with me . . .

My best and most judicious use of “hand bashing” came during the 1984 season. To celebrate TDs, protest bad calls or just to get the attention of the beer man so Moms could buy me another (I was still only 17) I would stand up, turn around and bash my seat bottom with my Lt. hand. This started Week 1 and continued on throughout the season and finally came to a thunderous crescendo at the end of our 23-0 whitewashing of the Bears in the NFC Championship.

I picked up my chair, carried it out of the ‘Stick and took that sucker home.
    Sec 57 Row 5 Seat 9 remains mine to this day.

4. Kevin says:

So will Harbaugh feel sentiment to Stanford and look at Coby Fleener?

I think if he’s there at 30, there’s a good chance he’d take him. My thinking is they go WR in free agency. There are some good DBs out there as well, though. With all the FA of their own to sign, there will be a thrash to figure out what their plans are once free agency opens up.

Harbaugh can be chock-full of sentiment toward Stanford and look all he wants at Coby Fleener. Last time I checked Baalke makes those decisions.

5. Kevin says:

an ESPN Analyst does not think Pitt can hold on to Mike Wallace, too much $$$$. He mentions the Niners picking him up.

BTW, Fleener won’t run the 40 at the combine, he has a high ankle sprain.

I’m thirsty!

Nipper, as I’m sure you’re well aware of, today is Ash Wednesday and the first day of Lent. For the next 40 days I’m giving up beer. I was thinking…

sorry for the interruption, I had to go to the fridge and grab myself a cold one. Ah shit, there goes my Lent. I’ll drink twice as less for my next offering. I promise. No. Really. I mean it.

7. Kevin says:

for Lent, the next 40 days I will not try to get Dennis to believe that A Smith is the next coming of J Montana.

Me thinks Chuck’s “I can only respond” deal is merely a ploy to get us lazy bastids to get off our sorry asses N Say Sumptin’!

Fine, fine!! I say “””Sumptin!!”

….and not a whole lotta else as usual…

You want more a sumptin? I doubt it but here goes a lousy one:

Two guys are drinking at a bar. The first says “Do you ever start thinking about something, and when you go to talk, you say something you don’t mean?” The Second guy says “Yeah, I was at the airport buying plane tickets, and the chick behind the counter had these huge tits, and instead of asking her for ‘two tickets to Pittsburgh’ I asked for ‘two tickets to Titsburgh’ The First guy says, “Yeah, well I was having breakfast with my wife last week, and instead of saying ‘Honey can you please pass me the sugar?’, I said ‘You’ve ruined my life you FUCKING BITCH’

SAVE yer freakin’ groans fer the first couple rounds picks ya fuckin; mooks.

There was a 49er fan with a really crappy seat at Candlestick. Looking with his binoculars, he spotted an empty seat on the 50-yard line. Thinking to himself “what a waste,” he made his way down to the empty seat.

When he arrived at the seat, he asked the man sitting next to it, “Is this seat taken?” The man replied, “This was my wife’s seat. She passed away. She was a big 49er fan.” The other man replied,”I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. May I ask why you didn’t give the ticket to a friend or a relative?”

The man replied, “They’re all at the funeral.”

11. Kevin says:

For all you Mock Draft junkies, Bleacherreport has the Niners taking Alfonzo Dennard CB/S, Nebraska.

Kevin, I was talking Alfonzo Dennard last year when everyone was watching his teammate, Prince. You don’t need any goddamn Bleacher Report. Just follow the Mook Report.

I think it depends more on what they do with Goldson and Rogers to figure what they shoot for in the draft.

I know most of the Niner draft talk has focused on WR and DB, but don’t discount us taking another DE/OLB pass rush specialist a la Aldon from last year. Especially should we lose A. Brooks.

Replacement? How bout Whitney Mercilus from Illinois. He was a one-man wrecking crew (“Should of had your money on Wrecking Crew.” Never can pass up “The Sting” reference) when I watched Big-10 games last year. Whitney, not the one who just died in a bath tub, could very well be this years Aldon Smith. Sorry. But you can never have too many goddamn pass rushers. Here’s a quick snippet of his Jr., and final season last year…

Mercilus had a remarkable year for the Fighting Illini, tying Simeon Rice’s single-season record and leading the nation with 16 sacks. He also forced nine fumbles on the season, breaking Illinois and Big Ten records and ranking as the second-most in NCAA history. His 22.5 tackles for loss in 2011 led the Big Ten, rank second in the nation and third in the Illinois record book.

Like I said, he’s a one-man wrecking crew. If not our Niners, some NFL team is going to draft a kid whose mission, should he choose to accept it (reference?) is to rave havoc. This comment will self-destruct in five seconds…

• phil fan says:

Mission Impossible. Sorta like trying to win a SB with a certain…..ah nevermind.

Hey! I really like this new WordPress feature. It shows me after I’ve made one of my many inane comments when one of you Mooks have replied to me with something even more inane from yourselves.

It’s like the blog is alerting and promoting stupidity. I like it.

Chuck will labor valiantly to keep this discussion focused on football but I’m thinking now is our time to pounce while he can only respond.

So did ya hear the one about….?

I betcha Flavors blog is cooking about now. It’s 20 years too late for me tho. When I moved to Sactown beezball kinda fell into a black hole never to return. I did make it to a River Cats game couple times. Fer a couple seasons the Kings were a whole lotta fun, then THEY fell into a black hole never to return. Funny how when ya fire the coach with no clue for a replacement things don’t go so good for 10 years or so….

It’s my prerogative to inform you guys on some other Whitney comments…Mercilus has a very impressive repertoire of pass rushing moves. He attacks with speed around the edge. As a counter to the speed, he has the strength to execute rip moves and shed offensive linemen. Mercilus has the raw power to get under offensive linemen’s pads and bull rush into the pocket. That catches linemen by surprise as they are so cognizant of being ready for his speed rush. Beyond his great physical skill set, Mercilus is an advanced pass-rusher technically.

My Prerogative? Whitney? Bobby Brown is slapping someone for that shit being funny. 😀