Free Agent WRs Redux Part MCMCLXVIII

There are over 600 free agents on the market this year. Don’t know if that’s some kind of record, but it is a hell of a lot. I think 250 of the are WRs. From Dwayne Bowe to Marcus Colston to Vincet Jackson to latest Super Bowl goat Wes Welker to Super Bowl hero Mario Manningham to countless others (including DSJ), the Niners will have their pick of a lot of players who can make an immediate impact. The question is, at what cost? I’d love to see the Niners go after a guy like Dwayne Bowe and offer him a big deal, but he will be costly. At what point do you cry ‘Uncle’? 5 years/$40 mill? Hard to say. Which is why I think they can wait a little and get DSJ for a relative bargain. I mane, sure. Go after the Bowes and Colstons, but know that DSJ is a good enough fall-back position. I don’t think teams are going to jump on him like all these other available guys.

The good news seems to be that Joshua Morgan is healed up from his broken leg. Yeah, he’s a free agent as well, but I think the Niners will take care of him, and he shouldn’t be too onerous a signing.  TE Nate Bynum and UDFA WR Dontavia Bogan (2nd team All Big-East) are on the mend as well. But still and all, the WR corps was the definite weakness offensively. So, expect a lot of changes. Crabs should be relegated to the #2 role while the Niners get a high-impact speed guy. Not sure what the team will do, as they seem to prefer bigger WRs, but the team needs a home run hitter. Say what you will about the dearth of deep passes, but Smith did hit VD on a number of occasions down the stretch and in the playoffs. Having a speed guy that can catch would be nice to have this season.

27 Responses to Free Agent WRs Redux Part MCMCLXVIII

“I want winners!”

Anyone have any extra dishes? I broke all of mine last night.

• phil fan says:

Broke all yer dishes? Since it’s so quiet here perhaps we can take a few moments to hear about it….?? Or we could do what I did last week and watch the 2 coats of paint dry on the front fence and in the carport.

Phil, I was telling Berger earlier this morning on the phone about breaking my dishes. I asked him, “Besides saying stupid shit (Like I Love You) when you’re drunk and blowing it all, and regretting it the next day, (I had to get my Sinatra reference in there albeit a Tina one), what was the other thing that you do when intoxicated on a constant basis?” I’m not sure if the Bergermeister ever gave me a concrete answer, but mine was, and will continue to be as long as I drink, breaking dishes. I’m running out of service ware. And I have some good shit. If you could see my fingertips today you could piece together my story. I have cuts all over my hand. There’s blood stains on my fridge that I still need to clean. I could divulge more info, but it’s time to get my pork chops going. I wasn’t joking about my pig. I’ve got five loin chops marinating and just begging to be fried. I’m going with a baked potato with all the trimmings (naturally), French bread and some sweet corn. The only thing that I’m missing is the company of a beautiful woman like Elizabeth Hurley. Try as I might, she couldn’t be bought.

Well, that’s what she told me anyway. I think she got a hold of my photo and said to herself that I look too much like Nate Schierholtz. Be that as it may. I think I play better right field. I never did get the chance to tell Liz about my bat.

• phil fan says:

Yep that’s more excitement than I’ve been having watching paint dry. I’ve been boozing it up but am now appreciating the wonders of sobriety a few times a week. Gee I hope you get past this, heal up and get some dishes already.Sounds like you enjoy yer cooking. Too bad I’m way over here- I’d help ya out with the pork chops!

Off to bed (close to midnight here) and will check in tomorrow. Take care Denny.

• Alleykat says:

Go with paper plates Dennis….harder to break…

Tony Romo and Phil Mickelson are in the same pairing Sunday at Pebble.
    “Somebody Up There Likes Me.”

Where’s Alex? That’s right. He’s playing caddy this weekend.

Anyone still drinking out there? Maker’s Mark going down well!

• phil fan says:

Switched to 12 year old rum in the interests of economy and sanity but I did down a few bottles of Makers Mark awhile back. Somehow my body prefers rum or maybe I’m just cheap.

I still prefer this blog to any of the others FWIW. Cheers

Yeah, these are the dog days of football blogs. and I don;t have Spitty to kick around anymore.

There’s always that . . .

If i was five years younger I’d take a flamethroweer to this place . . .

Hooo-wahhhhh!!

6. Kevin says:

Drinking, breaking dishes, Marker’s Mark, well when I was a young buck, it was all about Jack, then as I got older and my grandmother instilled my sense of heritage, it became Jameson. ah yes Caddy Shack classic. So Chuck do a poll, Caddyshack vs Happy Gilmore. Dennis I can see you getting your ass kicked by Bob Barker.

7. Kevin says:

ha ha, Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga… gunga, gungalagunga.

Hold the flamethrowers Chuck! Go over to Skeebs joint and ya can have at Spitwad all ya want! Better hurry tho he’s digging in deeper everyday… We gotta have a place where normal addicts, football and otherwise, can get together and sincerely whine, bitch, piss and moan about our guys the 9ers and all things football (ie, Tebow, yuk). And I got a lot to learn about American pop culture (ie,Caddyshack, Animal House, Madonna). We got a chance to rebuild this baby sorta like the 49ers after the Singletary era: we got most of the playas we need, just gotta add a couple free agent talents (perhaps LOL Cohn?), beef up the front orifice and get some decent coaches. Pretty soon we’ll we yacking it up at a championship level, drawing back the old talents, the fan base and competing for the Annual Blogosphere Blowhard of the Year Award. Me I’m excited about that one! We know how it went after Singletary got the boot- not fucking bad!

Our future is bright my friend. So bright I’m gonna pull my 49ers cap down over my eyes, settle back down under this freakin’ coconut tree and ponder the contents of this tall cold one. Yeah, believe it.

Former 49ers wide receiver Freddie Solomon, who helped San Francisco win its first Super Bowl, died Monday. He was 59.