January 10, 1982 – The Catch

How could I miss this? It’s halfway through the first quarter if you get the NFL Network. Rafael Septien just kicked a 45 yard FG to make the score 7-3. Freddie Solomon scored a TD earlier in the 1st quarter.

Wasn’t there. I know Dennis was. Anyone else out there?

43 Responses to January 10, 1982 – The Catch

I remember the Catch like it was last week. I remember thinking that it wasn’t real, that there was no way the Niners could possibly have finally beat Dallas, and made it to the Super Bowl. It was surreal. Then the next couple of Dallas plays and the Drew Pearson catch and run brought home the reality that yeah, maybe they WON’T make it, until we got the Danny White fumble to seal the deal. What a day, what a game. Somebody said on the radio today that it may have been the single most important sports moment in Bay Area history. I agree, and that’s with Timmy’s WS clincher win still fresh in my mind…

• phil fan says:

Well said snarkk, my experience exactly.

Sooo…what did you do the week Before the Catch? Yeah I dunno either.

This week we’re doin’ This. Might be worth rememberin’

• phil fan says:

“The week before the Niners whipped da Saints to advance to the NFC Championship game and on to da Supa Bowl we were all holding hands and singing Kumbaya on Chuck’s freakin’ blog. Ah I remember it like yesterday, the peace, the love ,the harmony, the good vibes! The knives, the chains, the idiots…yeah, that how it was!”

morons!!! /sarc/

• phil fan says:

WS?

Ok snarkk, you got a score fer us?

Watched it on TV in my apartment in San Rafael. Kept assuming they could never win and was overjoyed when Clark made the catch. Then the D had to step up….wow.

Yeah I thought …..they’re going to lose this one …..and then the CATCH!

• phil fan says:

Nip I know you are getting ready for your big weekend down by the river with Denny and spitblood and all but please take a moment and give up yer prediction vs da Saints. And have fun… Thanks

Niners v Saints Scoring Predictions for Saturday’s game. In order received: UPDATED

38-31 Niners phil “Defend/beat the blitz; pressure Brees. Pray for rain”
    27-17 Niners twinfan “…there’s no way the Saints should be favored”
    31-20 Niners chuck “If NO can keep Brees protected well… that’s where it can get ugly”
    21-17 Saints robd “ok . now i KNOW i’m not the only one drinking tonight !”
    38-24 Niners Kevin “My money is on the Niners”

At the moment robd is in the lead for the funniest comment (prolly referring to some previous quotes above)

• phil fan says:

Now WHO the hell woulda made those??

I dunno

• phil fan says:

37-31 Niners Flavor “This is what I Want to happen”
      33-31 Niners snarkk “Niners win a classic. Let’s get the Giants here for the NFC Championship game”

• phil fan says:

26-24 Niners barleyfreak “I’m bipolar on this one… My final BP reading 140 over 90
      BAC around .13 My other prediction is I think NYG beats GB, 34-28”

Lol robd had competition in the funny comments dept from barley

Yeah, I’ve regaled you all with my heartbreaking story of being at the Dallas playoff game in 1972 where he who shall not be named didn’t recover the onsides kick, and Roger Staubach led the first of his many comebacks. IIRC, Morton started that day, and was pretty bad. Staubach came in and, well we all kbow what happened.

To have this game come down to the wire, after all the turnovers by the Niners (6 to 2 for Dallas), was nuts. Eric Wright’s tackle really did save the game, as Pearson would have scored had he gotten by him. It could have changed Danny White’s career. As it was, it started the dynasty.

Most important Bay Areas sports moment? Without a doubt. It was the first championship for an SF team in the big 3 sports. Unless you count the fact that the Golden State Warriors played in Daly City to win the NBA title in 1975. Ice Capades be damned . . .

5. twinfan1 says:

if Alex and the rest of the play as poorly as the ’81 team did against Dallas, we won’t be winning Saturday..
    The Warriors upset sweep of the Bullets to win the NBA title deserves a little more than “unless you count tha fact blah blah” It was one of the greatest upsets in NBA history…

6. twinfan1 says:

I would put the GIants WS victory well ahead of the 49ers NFC championship and Super Bowl win, then would come the 49er win, followed closely by the Warriors in ’75- the team of Rick Barry and our original band of misfits- Cliff Ray, shot blocker extraordinare Geoge Johnson, Butch Beard, the late Charles Johnson, Jamaal Wilkes, Phil Smith, who also passed away too young..
    Where it would stand if we won this year? They would probably have to defeat 3 future HOF QBs behind the most hated ( until just recenty) athlete in Bay Area history, so if they do it, I would rank it only behind the 2010 Giants…

7. shaman138 says:

As many here know, I’m a Raiders and Saints fan….that being said, I reluctantly am predicting a Niners win on Saturday. 49ers’ D is just too stout and Saints’ D is just too weak. SF by 7.

• twinfan1 says:

So what do you think of The Mouth getting canned?

• shaman138 says:

He did it to himself–any NFL head coach concentrating more on fucking manicures than coaching deserves to be fired. Not benching McClain after his arrest was the beginning of the end and that’s where he truly lost the team.

I can’t get a handle on this game so I am going to go with the scenario I WANT to see play out. Niners win 37-31

OK, most important San Francisco sports moment. Why? Because it was the first title for a San Francisco team. And the Niners had been So close so many times before. 1957, 1970, 1971, and 1972.

1)1981 Niners
    2) 2010 Giants
    3) 1994 Niners
    4) 1984 Niners
    5) 1988 Niners
    6) 1989 Niners
    7) 1962 Giants . . .

This game could go any number of different ways. Some good, some bad.

However, if the teams play like they should, the Niners win going away. I think the Niners will open up the game aggressive. Much like the Tampa game. Try to hit them fast and early.

Quick passes and delays to try and slow down NO’s blitzing. Get on top, and then ground & pound.

I liked the idea of the Niners offense playing (full game speed) against the Niners defense in the red zone in some real-game-type situations last week. Much like the Miami/Niner Super Bowl, the big advantage the Niners have is practicing against a much better defense than the one they face in the game. In the end. I think it helps tremendously.

I have no idea who will win this game. No surprise whichever one does win it, it’s a toss up IMO, Saints won’t score to normal because they’re outside, on the road, and vs. the best D they’ve faced all year. Niners will score more than normal because the D they face is below average against the run, they’re at home, 2 weeks to prep, and they MUST score more than usual. Niners cannot crap on themselves in the red zone as usual. Must score at least 3 TDs, however they can get ’em, plus at least 3 FGs. Niners get my nod. So, I’ll go Niners win it in a classic: 33 – 31…

BTW, I love the sound of a Niners-Giants NFC championship game at the Stick…

13. barleyfreak says:

I’m with ya Flavor I can’t separate myself in any facsimile of objectivity to make a prediction for this game. I swing back and forth between “Our Defense will smack them, Smith will play his best ever and we beat them by 10” to a “Holy shit their offense is going to embarrass us we lose by 17”.

So I’ll go with this:

Niners win it on a field goal with 50 seconds left and we watch the D hold them out of FG range those final 50 seconds to preserve the win.

Final Score 26-24
    My final BP reading 140 over 90
    BAC around .13

My other prediction is I think NYG beats GB, 34-28

14. twinfan1 says:

There’s been so much red zone talk, it’s forgotten that there HAS been a big improvement. They are 30th over all (40% Tds), but 10th( 66%) in the last 3 games. And Roman has made it clear that he likes the decision making there- a thrown away pass and a FG beats a pick. It’s hurt that the tall guys (Edwards and Ginn) did nothing in the RZ and Vernon is doubled. They probably need to be more inventive in the run game down there and some more chicanery wouldn’t hurt either.And when the situation calls for jamming it in, I’d like to see Dixon.

15. Kevin says:

So, everyone has mentioned the Niner D, will Alex have the game of his life, etc, etc. the other variable will be HC Harbaugh. If the Niners are in the lead will he get conservative in the play calling. go to the run too much. How many 3 and out. If the Niners get the lead Harbaugh needs to be brutal and score as much as possible IMO. Cause NO does not just go to the run when they get the lead. Put your foot on the other guys throat and apply pressure and don’t let up till the clock reads 00:00

Well, I think Harbaugh is very aware of what NO can do. I also think he won’t go crazy if he gets the lead. They would HAVE to honor the run game somewhat. Man, I don’t know. I love the play to Ginn when Smith is in the gun, and Ginn cuts across the formation and takes the handoff in front of Smith. Bunch it up, and run the fast guy wide to the pylon.

That would be somethng to have the NFC championship here. I’d have to go to that. . .

18. twinfan1 says:

Obviously, game situations dictate strategy but going in I see no reason to do anything differently than what they’ve done all year….
    in the end I could see this getting down to Ginn vs. Sproles, and Hunter vs. Sproles…

19. Norm says:

The Saints are “81 Cowboys and the ’11 Niners are the “81 Niners. Lets’s do it.

I have largely stayed away from looking closely at New Orleans mostly out of fear of how good their offense looks. All I paid attention to were the stats they put up and their weird 2 losses vs two of the worst teams in the league (Rams/Tampa Bay).
    But you know, when you look at the defenses they played this year, one thing stick out: they didn’t face too many good defenses this year. In fact, most were awful.

The good ones: Houston, but that was in Sept and Houston was a team that really grew as the year progressed.
    Jacksonville has some decent defensive stats (6th in yards allowed) and they only scored 23 against the Jags.
    They beat a decent defense in Tennessee in December (8th in league in pts given up though the Titans are middle of road to bad in terms of yards given up). They only scored 22 on Tennessee.
    And that’s about it. All of the other defenses they played smoked massive pole at the bottom of the league.
    They didn’t play Pittsburgh. SF, Baltimore, Cleveland, the Jets, the Chiefs–all of the league’s better defenses. And the Rams actually don’t give up that many passing yards (7th in the league) so they have to be considered good and the Rams BEAT them.
    So I guess what I’m saying is, the Saints rolled up a shit load of pts and yards against some really bad defenses. Against the few good ones they played against, they were rather pedestrian.
    It makes me think we have a very decent chance against them in our house against our defense….

21. twinfan1 says:

You know, I was looking that shit up when you posted it. Excellent point.

Link to some photo stuff on top Niner wins in the past.
    I really remember the ’89 NFC Champ game in Chicago as one of the all-time finest Niner performances. Cold as a witch’s —, Bears favored with their still stout D, the Niners were overwhelmingly thought of as pansy pantywaists from the Left Coast that the Bears would crush. Wrongo. Rice got the first quarter touchdown, Joe and Co., dealt, Ronnie and Co,. shut the Bears down the rest of the way for a 28-3 beatdown. One of the greatest road wins in the Walsh era, maybe the greatest?…

NEW POST NEW POST NEW POST

new post new post new post

NEW POSY NEW POST NEW POST