Khalil Mack and the 49ers

As the negotiating between the Raiders and Khalil Mack keeps on going nowhere,  the possibility has arisen where the Raiders simply give up and trade Khalil Mack. This instantly perks up my radar as the 49ers are cap-rich, and have all their draft picks in the next few drafts. How dominant would the 49ers defense be with the addition of Khalil?

Mack has played in 3-4 schemes as well as 4-3 schemes as that’s how Ken Norton Jr  ran his defense with Mack as his OLB/edge rusher, so he’d plug right in. He and Foster wreaking havoc together would be epic. And I like ROB’S!!! offer of our 1st next year, our 2nd in 2020, and our 4th in 2021. Works for me.

Funny thing is, the word on the street is that Prince (not-so) Valiant is strapped for cash and can’t write the check to PAY Khalil.  He can’t afford him right now. Which means they WILL trade him.

If he’s on the market, grab him.

31 Responses to Khalil Mack and the 49ers

Gruden fired a very large warning shot across Mack’s bow late yesterday saying:

“We weren’t very good last year on defense with Khalil Mack,” Gruden said. “We didn’t have an interception, I think, all year. I don’t know if we intercepted a pass until Week 14. We’ve got to get a better pass rush, we’ve got to play better defense, period. And we hope Khalil gets here, but in the time being, we’ve got plenty of guys who need work.”

Don’t kid yourself and say Khalil’s camp did’t read this as a huge diss on him. Despite the fact Mack was routinely double and triple-teamed he was the defensive MVP for a reason. Gruden has his 10 year deal in pace so he feels no compunction to knuckle under to Mack’s demands.And Reggie McKenzie will simply accede the decision to Chucky.

Gruden really can’t say anything positive though, as this would go directly to Khalil’s camp as fodder for his payday, but to go that far out of your way to call out the best defender on your team, if not the entire NFL, for not doing more is pretty stupid and arrogant of Gruden.

Let’s hope this bites him in the ass.

2. Rob says:

Camp live now

3. Rob says:

Interesting wrinkle

interesting combination too ! I wonder if we’ll use two back looks with these two out there !

4. Rob says:

Seventh-round pick Richie James looks like he’ll be the player that leads the 49ers in receiving during the preseason.

The Raiders are not going to do any favors for the Niners. They practically gave away their 10th rd pick to AZ knowing they were grabbing the QB. I think we pissed em off with the McGglinchey pick. But I kinda like that Gruden seems to be self-destructing. McKenzie must be having second thoughts.

• Lurker John says:

How is he self destructing?

• Winder says:

John- it’s just my opinion on matters of personnel and that he has taken so much decision making power away from the GM that McKenzie is pretty much just a wingman. It’s also my opinion that he sounds just like Singletary used to,

6. Lurker John says:

Arik Armstead injured. AGAIN.

7. Lurker John says:

You guys have nothing on the alleged JG deep ball issues?

• rtfirefly says:

It’s worrisome, but of all the QB issues that exist, inaccurate long ball is about last on my list. We’ll see if defenses try to take advantage of such a perceived weakness.

• Lurker John says:

So, it’s true? I haven’t seen enough to know one way or another. A guy with an arm like that, I’d figure the deep ball would be a strength.

• rtfirefly says:

I don’t know. I’ve read that rumor since last season though. I meant to say that it’s less worrisome to me in a WCO like Shanny’s. In a Harbaugh offense, or the Steelers offense, for examples, I’d damn sure want my QB to throw a great long ball to open up the running game.

8. Lurker John says:

Some of those MD albums may have been just “OK” in your opinion, Chuck, but they all had several great songs on them, meaning their body of work consists of a lot of kick-ass metal tunes.

Oh, I dig most all of their early catalog. No trouble with any of their first 5 albums. Shit, Dystopia kicks major ass and its new. Poisonous shadows and the threat is real, & Dystopia is as good as anything they’ve done,. Most of that album kills it. Some of their 2000s stuff I don’t really like.

Fucking Armstead reminds me of Crystal Todd Shell. Can’t get on the field.

Out ‘multiple weeks’ is what I just saw.

12. Rob says:

LURKER
    Bill Walsh used to say this about throwing long. Make sure you throw 2 or 3 deep passes per game because “even if you complete just one of them” it has a big effect on the defense and the way they have to play you. This indicates to me that Bill wasn’t looking for more than 50% accuracy on these kind of throws !

Winder, Gruden has a much better track record that Aluminum Mike could even dream about. Still and all, $100 mill for him is absolutely ludicrous. Prince Dipshit is going to fuck that team over before they even get to Vegas. They’ll be the dregs of the AFC west in 2 years.

• Winder says:

Tru dat chuck but look at some of the rosters Gruden had on the Raiders and Tampa. He ain’t go nothing like that now. I don’t have anything against Gruden but I think he is over his head on this one. I think you are right about them bringing up the rear probably starting this year.

Andy Reid does what I’ve always loved. First play from scrimmage is a bomb. I don’t know if he did it all the time, but when he was coaching the Eagles he always did that to the Niners. If not the first play, then the first series.

15. Lurker John says:

Some are already calling Thomas a bust, which I think is way premature, but he does need to show some marked improvement this year given his 3rd pick status. I’m confident he can do it. Buckner is having a good camp, per reports, getting to the QB, etc.

• Winder says:

Lurker- at the time I really didn’t like the choice to get him but I think Thomas is gonna turn out to be a rock on our defense. He just seems to have the mindset and hopefully he has the skill to go with it.

New thread is up.