The League is Going to Pot

Thanks, Winder. the NFL, in actions nearly as fast as Congress, is finally considering a ‘less punitive’ approach to marijuana, aka wacky tobacky, pot, reefer, dope, tea, chronic, sticky opiated Thai sticks )a story for another day), Maui Wowie, Acapulco Gold, Panama Red, Semsimilla, and, in a nod to the late great George Carlin, Toledo Windowbox. My favorite was a strain of African pot that a nameless friend has been growing in the hinterlands of coastal CA since the mid 70s.

But I digress. Pot, which has lately been given kudos but former players in easing pain, easing the effects of CTE, and basically doing what the heavy narcotics can do for players, but with MUCH less fallout, is getting a look by the NFL as something that may help instead of being a reason to be fined and/or suspended.

The NFLPA recently formed a pain management committee that is studying, among other things, the use of marijuana to manage pain and whether it should be permissible under the NFL’s policies. This sounds great but then you read something like this from them:

“We have to do a better job of knowing if our players are suffering from other potentially dangerous psychological issues like depression, right? So if I look at this myopically as just a recreational use of marijuana and miss the fact that we might have players suffering from depression, what have I fixed? Worse yet, you may have solved an issue that gets the steady drumbeat in a newspaper but miss an issue like chronic depression . . . where a person theoretically might be able to smoke more weed because it makes them feel better but it’s not curing their depression.”

“So to me, as we’re looking at that front end — and it’s been a long process — the reason why I think it’s more complicated than just making a quick decision about recreational use is we look at these things as a macro-issue. And what we try to do is what a union’s supposed to do: improve the health and safety of our players in a business that sometimes can seriously exacerbate existing physical and mental issues.”

Hmmmm. Is ‘feeling better’ considered a side effect? Or a problem? “Are you in pain? Well, this Percodan won’t fix your sore muscles, but it’ll mask the pain. Take this Zanax. It isn’t highly addictive. Take it for 10 years and then try not to get hooked. Oh yeah, and see the guy over there? The steroids, masking drugs, and HGH he’s not passing out (wink wink) won’t hurt you at all.”

Beyond the fact that there are now 6 teams that play in states that have legalized recreational pot use, the NFLPA is fucking living in the 30s if they think marijuana is more dangerous that the opioids, painkillers, and anti-depressants being handed out like candy to players and team doctors, and the general public for that matter.

Anyhow, this’ll likely pass once Josh Gordon’s suspension ends. Sorry Josh!!!

89 Responses to The League is Going to Pot

As someone who has a royally fucked up back, I have a little insight into this shit. Unfortunately, the usual stuff they hand out like Vicodin don’t work on me. I feel all the pain but get fuzzy and dumb. What else is new, right?

Unless I have 4 beers and a couple whiskeys behind them. Then, I’m loads of fun . . .

Chuck- The league is gonna have to change it’s stance on pot somewhat. I still don’t want players stoned on the field and really can’t imagine why a player would want to be. I think the possibility for injury would be HIGH and concentration would be skewed. Anyway, my sister smokes medical pot for her arthritis and she’s almost 70, it truly helps her.

OK, last one I promise

I seriously don’t think anyone really wants to play high, Winder. The game is hard enough without your full faculties. I’m sure guys play hung over and even drunk, on speed/coke, etc. but being stoned doesn’t lend itself to football. Or any activity that requires high concentration.

The intent of pot is to ease the post-game aches and pains. And to facilitate the calming of nerves after the intensity of game day.

And I think there’s some CTE relief as well.

Giants lose another meaningless practice game at Mesa. Yeah six losses in a row ……big deal. The A’s take these games seriously in contrast to the Giants. Still all these teams want you the fan to pay your bucks for these efforts. Blah….blah…blah……blah go the Giants announcers trying to be serious about these games.

I’m me are you you?

Well, The Giants take the first 3 and drop the next 6. I know it’s ST but I have seen this before. Hope they work out all the kinks before the season starts. God I love baseball, I think it’s the best game in the world.

Brandon Marshall just got released from the jets. Might be worth taking a look.

I’d rather have Jeffery than Marshall Marshall Marshall.

Can’t get enough WRs though.

His brother Steve sucked as well.

smm

13. 12th Man says:

Bye bye Kaepernick, finally, see ya.

No stems, no seeds that you don’t need…Acapulco Gold is bad ass weed!!

16. Lurker John says:

Great tune (Nelson & Haggard)!

Kap……….good riddance ……damn he was a disappointment as a QB. I hate Harbaugh for bringing him aboard and chasing Smith out. It looked like a good move at the time but in retrospect what a serious decline! It shows how current moves can really backfire over time.

• 12th Man says:

Smith wasn’t going to get it done so they rolled the dice with Kap and it almost worked with the best roster in football. I have no problem with that decision.
      Problem with Kap is he has a ton of talent and 2lb of brain and didn’t put the work in to develop according to accounts, add his BS protest and its buh bye ya bum.

Shanny was going to get someone else anyway, Kap and RG knee are similar so he knows the limitations first hand.

• Lurker John says:

Guy can within one play of winning the SB. What about that didn’t you like?

Finally, the Kap chapter is closed. I don’t care what anyone says he was a big distraction. I mean we could stink up a game and all the media would talk about was the knee.

The players seemed to like Kappy. Hence the Eshmont award. I don’t think the team was distracted. They just sucked. I mean, the team stood behind Kelly. And it got them nowhere. Then again, they didn’t have the players.

The point being, Kappy’s kneeling had no effect on the team. If he had stood, we would have been 2-14.

This one’s for you, Irish! Talk about missing the point of the song . . . a modern spiritual indeed.

I’d watch this show occasionally just for weird things like this. Good stuff once in a while.

Amazing sound with no amps, or messy cords.

• Winder says:

I had to watch that show every week. My dad and Grandma liked it. Same with the Ed Sullivan show. I don’t know how many times I watched people spin plates with sticks.

22. Lurker John says:

John Ross just ran a 4.22 40 at the combine and would look mighty, mighty good in the Red-and-Gold. With another shot, he may best that time. The dude can pick ’em up and put ’em down, and he’s an excellent pass-catcher.

Jeremy Kersey got a 3 year deal.

Running tally thus far of Team visits including Combines –
    A bit odd to see ‘Nova DE Tanoh Kpassagnon on this list as he’s pretty much seen as a 3-4 guy?
    All fluff at this point anyway…
    (COM) = Combines
    (SR) = Senior Bowl
    (EW) = E/W Shrine

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State (COM)
    Julie’n Davenport, OT, Bucknell (SR)
    Rudy Ford, S, Auburn (SR)
    Geoff Gray, G, Manitoba (EW)
    Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee (COM)
    DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame (COM)
    Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE/3-4DE, Villanova (SR)
    Pat Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech (COM)
    Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford (COM)
    Leon McQuay III, S, USC (EW)
    Haason Reddick, OLB, Temple (SR)
    Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina (SR)
    Sam Tevi, OT, Utah (EW)
    Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina (COM)

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam#yhZWQKJLBFbJpmht.99

Curious to see whether TCU OT Aviante Collins could translate to OC?
      Bit small by comparison, to other OTs in this class.
      Kid is listed at 6’4″/295 but turned in a 4.8/40Avg.
      Also, benched 34reps.
      Moves well, handles the bench reps, sounds like a Center to me?

Kerley wasn’t half bad. Nice.

My son taped the combine so I got to see his 40, John.

I didn’t see his route running though.

The Combine might tell you something but don’t count on it. BLEEP!

Query: Did Kap ever learn how to read a defense? The running QBs have proven to be less than adequate over time. Am I wrong?

Lawrence Welk show would be laughed off TV now. It was too wholesome. A one….a two… more champagne bubbles lets get a polka dance going……

30. Berger says:

Of the 3 QBs mentioned to possibly go in the 1st round here is my take. Kiser had a great 2015 but Northern Women went 4-8 this year. Watson looked great in the bowl game vs Alabama for the 2nd year in a row but he is playing with a lot of talent. QBs seem to always shine in that system. Trubisky just looks like the real deal. He has a quick release, is athletic, big and makes good decisions and he did it I a tough conference, like the other two QBs.

I rate QBs as: 1 A team wins because of them, 2 You can win with them 3 Fills a spot. Kiser has been so inconsistent it is hard to rate. Also, I don’t like his mechanics. Watson is a ‘We can win with this guy’ QB. Trubisky is a ‘His team won because of him’ type player.

These are college ratings and the knock on Trubisky is he only has one year of experience. Also, one never knows if the rating is transferrable to the pros. If Trubisky showed a good aptitude for the game in interviews at the combine I would have no problem taking him #2 overall and getting a guy like Schaub to start for us for a year.

• Winder says:

Since I can’t judge a QB’s mechanics very well I am gonna have to respect whatever KS does. If he thinks someone is worth the #2 pick then so be it. What I want is for them to trade back and get both Fournette and Mccaffrey. Just think what kind of running game we would have. Having both would prolong both careers and we would actually have a true MIllion dollar backfield once again. But, that is just me.

• Berger says:

Problem is what player would somebody want to trade up to #2? If Garrett becomes available, yes, but then we would want him too.

Gotta think TN Berger, do they want to leapfrog JAX?
        TN has what I want, Picks 5&18. That combo buys our slot.
        Either team could covet a RB/WR to pair with their young QBs.
        In that scenario, I’d spend the ‘free Pick’ on the QB if he can be had at 18.
        See what happens…..

• Berger says:

Who would Tenn want at #2?

Hopefully someone we don’t 😀
        Much as I’d love to have Jon Allen there, (assuming Garrett goes to Cleveland), an extra Pick would give me cause to pass.
        Hoping TN/JAX might want to go for Mike Williams.
        If that happened, I’d be happy to take Corey Davis at 5 then, perhaps, the QB at 18.

In the NFL mindset of ‘speed kills’, the TE from Ole Miss, Evan Engram killed it.
    Got me thinking of VD.
    6’3″/234 is somewhat smallish for an NFL TE but, he smoked a 4.42/40.
    Posted a 6.92 3-cone as well. Very nimble effort.

Wondering if he might be considered as a ‘bigger’ WR?
    VD was an excellent blocker, which may have hampered his receiving acumen somewhat?
    Hence, if Engram can catch better than block, I’d be curious to see how the WR position would fit, if at all?

Too big a risk, Bergs. I’d rather wait till next year for a QB. Better class.

• Berger says:

Too big of a risk for unca. If Shanahan likes him I’m in. Again, it comes down to the interview which I am not privy to.

TEST…

Hmm? Thought it ate my post.
    Trying again –

Got me thinking of VD.
    6’3″/234 is somewhat smallish for an NFL TE but, he smoked a 4.42/40.
    Posted a 6.92 3-cone as well. Very nimble effort.
    Wondering if he might be considered as a ‘bigger’ WR?

Chuck, check the filter, I tried twice but nutt’n….

Here’s another kid that smoked it in Indy.
    DE Derek Rivers, Youngstown St.
    Stacking numbers side-by-side with Myles Garrett he held his own.

Myles – 6’4″/272 4.64/40 1.63/Split 33Reps 41Vert (32.5Sacks)
    Derek – 6’4″/248 4.61/40 1.61/Split 30Reps 35Vert (37.5Sacks)

Granted, Youngstown State isn’t seeing similar competition to TAMU but…This kid Rivers could come on the cheap.
    Call me impressed.

Garrett wins the all important ‘wingspan’ criteria for an Edge rusher too.
      Garrett 35-1/4″
      Rivers 32-3/4″

Went straight to trash, NJ. Don’t know why.

NJ, being a good blocker shouldn’t impede anyone’s ability to catch the ball. VD was always terrible in route adjustment.

I’m in it for the Receiving anyway Chuck.
      Some of these kids are killing it in the ‘stats dept’.
      I’ll try to re-post the one that got away.
      Thanks for checking 😀

In the NFL mindset of ‘speed kills’, the TE from Ole Miss, Evan Engram nailed it.
    Got me thinking of VD.
    6’3″/234 is somewhat smallish for an NFL TE but, he posted a 4.42/40.
    Put up a 6.92 3-cone as well.
    Very nimble effort.
    Wondering if he might be considered as a ‘bigger’ WR?

3rd time it bombed? WTF?
    Let me rephrase it and see what happens.
    The TE from Ole Miss, Evan Engram nailed it too.
    Got me thinking of VD.
    6’3″/234 is somewhat smallish for an NFL TE but, he posted a 4.42/40.
    Put up a 6.92 3-cone as well.
    Very nimble effort.
    Wondering if he might be considered as a ‘bigger’ WR?

Well, for some reason I can’t get it to pass muster.
    Simply wanted to call attention to TE Evan Engram 6’3″/234 4.42/40
    Great speed, somewhat small for an NFL TE.
    Check him out.

Jordan Willis from K-State was another impressive candidate.
    6’4″/255 4.53/40 1.54/Split 39″Vert (26 Sacks)
    Hard to know how to evaluate them with our proposed Defensive scheme change.
    Is he a DE or OLB?
    Great speed and acceleration either way.
    Just no stats, in terms of Pass Coverage ability, to make a case as an OLB with some of these guys.

The combine…….what dreams are made of. Oh I forgot it was the Maltese Falcon.

For those of you who have nothing to do.

That is cool. Just hearing the names is great. Roger Craig, Jimmy Davenport, Bob Clemente, Bob Gibson. You got Part II?

• Winder says:

No, but it does bring back memories, especially the Mays/Chicon incident. They must have part II somewhere

• Winder says:

Chuck- once the tape is over you can get part 2. I had to press the little arrow on the uppe right corner.

This stuff was a little before my time (born in 61) but it’s crazy that guys like Torre and Craig among a ton of others became managers down the line.

• Winder says:

I was pretty young then too but for half of the 62 season I took my transistor radio to school and listened to the games when I could. It was just a golden time for me and baseball/Giants was a big part of it.

An interesting Combine report regarding my preferred WR Corey Davis.
    Might not have to spend a top 10 Pick on him?

Entering the combine, the consensus top three wide receivers for the 2017 NFL Draft were Clemson’s Mike Williams, Washington’s John Ross,and Western Michigan’s Corey Davis.
    Williams was impressive during the field drills on Saturday, but Ross was the talk of the combine, as he set the record for the fastest 40-yard dash time,
    breaking Chris Johnson’s mark.
    WalterFootball.com first reported that Davis wouldn’t workout at the combine, and injuries will keep him from running at his pro day as well.
    Those are lost opportunities for Davis, as a number of teams have told WalterFootball.com that Williams and Ross had been graded higher entering the combine.

In surveying six teams, four of them had a late first-round/early second-round grade on Davis, while two teams thought he could go in the top 20.
    Every team likes Davis as a player and off the field, but some teams just feel that his talent level is indicative of a late first- or second-round pick.
    One team picking early in the second round has Davis as one of its targets for early in Friday night.
    However, the three other teams think that Davis is more likely to get picked late in the first round, and that team won’t get a shot at Davis on Friday night.

Two teams felt that Davis is deserving of going in the top 20.
    WalterFootball.com reported Saturday that Davis was in the pool of possibilities for Tampa Bay with the 19th-overall pick.
    Team sources have said that Davis has interviewed well while in Indianapolis, so the combine was beneficial for him in that regard.

It is unclear how much working out Davis will be able to do before the draft, but team sources say they don’t anticipate changing their grade on Davis.
    His years of good tape and production speak for themselves.

Ross has wheels, certainly, but…he’s under 6′ and, has under 1800yds worth of College production.
      Davis is 6’3″ and almost tripled his production.
      Williams + previously broken neck + NFL speed = Scares me to death.
      See where it goes….

Berger I’m going to lean towards Mahomes/Webb in the QB discussion.
    See whether any of them become a reality for us.
    I’d still be fine with Schaub for a year or 2 followed by Terrell on the cheap LATE. (like RD5 or beyond).
    For that matter, Ponder could also be in that discussion at the right price.
    I go Defense early in this Draft.

Reminds me of Keenan Allen, NJ. I was screaming to draft him as his shitty combine and pro day times were not indicative of his ability. He’s been injury prone but shit, he’s worlds better than what we had. Instead we got VMcDropsalot.

• Winder says:

I think that was another of Baalky’s rubs to the franchise when they gave him that big contract. VM probably won’t make the team this year.

The thing with both VD and VMcD was timing with the Harbaugh System too I think Winder.
        VD was the better blocker due to his strength. Harbaugh didn’t throw to TEs much, which didn’t help either guy.
        VMcD was a pretty productive WR at Rice when he came out. Again, he was schooled on being a better blocking prospect with Harbaugh.
        I did see better production from VMcD when Gabbert was pitching to him.
        Kaep was a flame-thrower, which also cost both guys some catches.

Shanny will involve the TEs more as Receivers in his System.
        Won’t take long to see who has the required hands to succeed, once they settle on the QB making the throws.
        So much has to be retooled now, that I’m at a loss to predict how this Draft Board is going to come together.
        Simply by my own musings, this Class is much deeper in talent on Defense.
        Whether they follow that direction is anyone’s guess?
        Pieces that now don’t/won’t fit, will likely be offered as Trade bait, or simply released, depending on Cap ramifications.

Goff hasn’t been very impressive, but I pin a lot of that on Jeff Fisher. He’s never been very imaginative with his offenses.

True enough in that regard Chuck.
      IMO, Goff was a Market draw for LA.
      I’m just hoping we don’t fall into that same trap of ‘needing’ a QB to quantify the Shanny Offense.
      Be smart, pick for quality, regardless of position and, build the foundation for the future.
      Protect the QB/Sack the QB.

Yeah right now they have to get a quality QB that is a veteran. A rookie would be a waste of time on this 49er team. This new team has to worry about producing now not five years down the line. .

Well, they can do both, Nip. Get Hoyer/Schaub and draft Terrell. St this point they can afford to take a flier on a sleeper QB if they get a reasonable guy like Hoyer. Work on Terrell for a couple years, see where it gets them, and draft a QB in 2018 as well. A more better guy.

FA starts pretty soon and hopefully we can get a bead on how we will rebuild. I know most of the pro’s say that this is a defensive draft but I would like to see us use this draft for offense. While the other teams are drafting D we should swoop in and snag some good offensive players.A good offense will give us a better reading on the D we have and the ones we pick up in FA. My 2cents.

I agree Winder. I think the defense is further along than the offense and can be fixed by plugging in a few free agents. The offense is in more need of impact players.

That said, I think we may get a pass rusher with our 2nd pick.

Jonathan Allen.

NEW THREAD IS UP ……………………….