When the Going Gets Weird . . .

. . . the weird turn pro. My old neighbor Hunter Thompson would be highly amused by the NFL these days. At le4ast with the state of the 49ers. Hunter, who at one point talked football on the press plane with Richard Nixon while vilifying him in his Rolling Stone articles, recounted the story of Nixon recommending a few plays to then Redskins coach George Allen. Turns out they lost 6 yards and field goal position and ended up losing the game.

Ooops. Sounds familiar, eh? The new up-tempo offense, and the revamped coaching staff has produced the same result so far as last season. Well, actually, no. We managed to beat Baltimore while my wife and I were driving around the Tuscan region of Italy last year, so we had the stellar record of 2-4 last year. So we are a game worse. Changing QBs didn’t help things much, but then again, the injury depleted defense was ripped to shreds by LeSean McCoy. Someone who seemed to want to prove something to his ex-coach. To the tune of 140 rushing yards.

Colin Kaepernick looked weak and rusty as he missed passes and couldn’t seem to get into the flow. Then again for a guy who is 4 months behind Gabbert, he looked just as mediocre. Which is good, I guess. He’s playing for his ticket out of here, so we’ll see how this goes the next few games. He did extend some drives with his legs, and did hit Torrey Smith for a deep TD for a change, but all in all a sub-par game.

For all the shitty play though, the Niners were still in the game midway through the 3rd quarter, down by 4 and driving after a 26 yard scramble by CK. On 3rd and 1, we tried a run up the middle. of course we tried the same thing on 4th and 1 to the same result. From that point, Buffalo took control.

And this is where I get pissed about play calling. Chip HAS to know that if he doesn’t get the 1st down on 3rd and 1 that he is going to go for it on 4th down. If that is the case, then take a shot on THIRD down. Play action 5 yard pass to a TE or some shit. Something more imaginative than 2 runs up the gut. As it was, Buffalo took over, and 4 plays later scored a touchdown, putting them up 24-13.

Folks will call the game a blowout, one we didn’t have aa chance in, but the game turned on that 4th and 1 stop. Even the beginning of the 4th quarter, the Niners were down one score (24-16) after the FG to start the 4th. As usual, the Niners got Buff into a 3rd and 8 initially, and the defense did its stellar job of giving up an easy 1st down to continue the drive. The clown-car act of the 4th quarter sealed the game. Fumbled kick return, offsides penalty on a punt for a 1st down, on and on. Once again, a game that looked like a stupid performance, but per usual, was determined by a couple stupid plays on a crucial drive.

111 Responses to When the Going Gets Weird . . .

A tale of two halves again. 5 games in a row the Niners have had a decent first half and a disastrous second half. That is coaching, no question. I have to believe O’Neil is about to be fired. His D scheme is ok at the back end but horrible in the front 7. The same players are prepared with scripted plays and designed D first half and there is no counter punch for the other teams adaptions.
    Kap, despite the stats, did play better than Gabbert. They were competitive in the first half despite some poor throws, at least the Bills D had to respect the deeper ball.

Yeah at least fire the defensive coordinator. That should be a minimum move. And send Trent packing as well. Jed is too passive in his role of owner of the Niners. Of course he’s not a real man of action owner. The job was handed to him and like a lot of these guys he’s really not up to it.

Baalke likely makes it to the end of the season, like you said, Jed is a little light in the ass for decisive action. I will be amazed if O’Neil makes it past the bye-week. They have to stop the run and simply haven’t. The D holds up fairly well in the first half and just lays down coming out for the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Fire O’Neil and consider a change to a 4-3 since they have better personnel for that scheme after the injuries to Bow and Ray-Ray. Can’t just allow near record run game yardage week after week.

Bills fired Greg Roman, Ravens fired a co-ordinator early last year, Niners need to do the same.

Not a fan of the way Kelly is calling plays from the sideline. Some talking head just mentioned it looks like college with the entire O looking to the sideline after the D has set and it does. What’s the point of the helmet mike? They are still snapping the ball around 14 seconds left even with setting the line twice.

If they are not going to go hurry up they should huddle IMO. I’m sure the players feel a little foolish and it looks like amateur hour.

Yeah, no one is fooled by the read option anymore. All it does is slow down the run plays to the point of the defense stopping everything. We need quick hitting runs that get into the line much quicker. Read and react running and blocking isn’t working. And the defense? You can’t even blame the TOP on it as the first halfs aren’t that bad. By the 4th sure. They were dogging. But they killed us running the ball form the get-go.

You are right. The LBs are weak at this point. Although I’m not crazy about the line either. The tackling was awful yesterday. Road game blues? Fuck I don’t know. They had their chances yet again, and the 3rd quarter offensive blues bit them in the ass again.

3. Berger says:

The biggest problem I see with the Defensive front 7 is nobody is playing their lanes. Linemen are getting washed out, getting blocked out or just overplaying a misdirection. Young players do this but coaching should be coaching that. We’re 6 games into the season and seeing the same mistakes every week. When the linemen do their job correctly often a LB isn’t filling his responsibility. There doesn’t seem to be good communication between team mates and there definitely is poor execution.

I say we fire the whole lot of them, I doubt even Rathman wants to stay any longer. The Chipski is just who the Philly fans said he was. We need to rebuild and the sooner the better. Don’t know who’s out there qualified enough that wants to work here but I would put an add in whatever paper the GM’s read. We gotta rebuild through the draft and that leaves Baalky in the dust.

How about a name change? The Santa Clara Freaks would be nice. It’s Holloween time and as poor as the Niners are playing may as well change the unis as well. Gold and Black unis to go with a freakishly bad team. Red and Gold colors doesn’t seem right anymore.

I dunno nip, I was thinking more on the line of 1950’s motel pink and green. That way we could look like a bunch of watermelons running around the field.

The Niners led the league in 3 and outs going into the game. The offense had 1 in the first half.

Kappy accounted for 253 yards with 0 turnovers.

I dunno, as bad as he passed in the second half, I thought overall it wasn’t a bad.start. It was OK. It was his first real game in a year, against a good D on the road, with that 10 AM East Coast start we always suck at.

Obviously, he needs to pass better if he’s to remain on the field. But given everything, I’ll accept that performance.

I rewatched the highlights of some of the Bills best runs. It looked like Keystone Kops out there. Screw Kap, we won’t beat anybody with that D (although TB and NO coming up are horrible, #29 and #30, at running the ball, so there’s that).

Flashback: 3rd qtr, Bills 17-13. Niners ball on their own 8, 1st and 10.

Kappy leads nice drive, including a great run, to the Bills 40, 3rd and 1. Two gashes into the line, 0 yds., turnover on downs at the Bills 40.

The very next time Kappy touches the ball, the Niners are 3 scores down, 31-13. The Bills weren’t
    done on O, either.

I don’t see how you put this on him, as is all the rage on the WZ. I just don’t.

Yeah, that’s what I alluded to. Play calling plays a big part in this disaster. As does the 2nd half blues.

Berger this may finally be the Draft where we get a Fat Man in the Middle?
    We flat out suck balls.
    Perhaps it’s O’Neil’s Scheme, who knows?
    All I can say at this point is Eric Reid better not get extended.
    I’m working through Draft evals already thanks to this charade of Chip Kelly Offense.
    Not seeing much in the way of QB options thus far so, we might as well load up on Defense.
    If I were turning in a card tomorrow, most likely in the Top 5, I’d be clamoring for DE Myles Garrett at this point.
    Fuk Chip and this gimmicky Offense he’s selling. It’s College BS IMO.
    Problem is, Jed and the York Empire are already paying mountains of cash to Tomsula to do nothing. Not likely they’ll do the same with Chip.
    They’ll throw Trent under the bus somehow and promote Gamble. That’s my guess.

I guess it’s worth the gamble.

Trent better be working the phones with NYJ GM Mike Maccagnan before the Nov 1 Trade Deadline.
      Kaep for Mo.
      Good place to start IMO.
      Contracts are inline, each side needs what the other can provide.

Michigan has a SS who could be in the running for the Heisman this year.
        Jabrill Peppers 6’1″/208.
        He’s drawing comparisons to Charles Woodson, for obvious reasons.
        Good in coverage, also handles Return Duties.
        Someone to keep an eye open for as we suffer through what is supposed to be an NFL season.

“2016 Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch List: Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan (6-1, 208, East Orange, NJ): Versatile athlete who returned kicks and punts last season while starting on defense and playing some running back; Moved to linebacker in spring; Named All-Big Ten defensive back; Had 45 tackles; Set New Jersey high school record in 200-meter dash (20.79). – Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation/Lott IMPACT Trophy”

• Berger says:

I’ve been hearing a lot about Peppers.

He’s already being projected into the Top 5.
        From everything I’m seeing this early on, the Draft appears better suited to Defensive talent at the higher end.
        Obviously, this changes across Draft Boards and Team needs.
        We have to replace Patrick, and soon, Bowman.
        Gotta get stronger up the middle IMO.
        Thus far, I can’t recall ever seeing a Defense so porous against the Run.
        Embarrassing from every angle.

• Berger says:

if you remember when we moved up to pick Garnett I was happy as ever thinking we were moving up for an ILB. I wanted Ragland from Alabama. Good thing we didn’t pick him, he is out for the year with a knee injury.

Yeh Berger, can’t plan on injuries in this game unfortunately.
        I’m already onboard for his former position-mate this year.
        ‘Bama ILB Rueben Foster. 6’1″/236
        But, he’s already projected in RD1 himself.
        Can’t nail them all.

“At a rock solid 6-1, 240 pounds with broad shoulders, a trim middle and well-built limbs, Foster offers prototypical size for an inside linebacker role. His greatest attribute, however, is his pure explosiveness. Whether it be his outstanding sideline-to-sideline speed or the impact he generates with his collisions, Foster is a heat-seeking missile hell-bent on destruction.
        Just as aggressive as he is athletic, Foster attacks would-be blockers in the running game, jolting opponents with a powerful punch that can leave them staggering. When blockers are successful in latching onto him, Foster shows impressive leg drive and balance to anchor, creating a pile runners have to avoid and easy tackle opportunities for teammates.

Foster is a true lights-out hitter, generating bone-rattling hits due to his acceleration and compact frame. He launches himself into ballcarriers, typically wrapping his arms securely, as well, for the flashy but efficient take-down.

Foster shows acute diagnosis skills. He takes sharp angles to the ball, often beating blockers to the action and surprising ballcarriers with his closing speed. Foster keeps his eyes locked onto the quarterback when in coverage, breaking quickly as the pass is released, often initiating contact with the intended receiver just as the ball arrives.”

What do you think of Myles Garret of Texas A&M for an edge rusher? I know nothing of him, but some guys on the WZ are slinging out the hyperbole, “once in a generation pass rusher?”?

• rtfirefly says:

*garrett

He’s my #1 commodity right now RT.
      He’s well worth the hype thus far.

As projections go, especially this early, he’s rated #1 overall.
        I’d be ecstatic to have him on our roster. 6’5″/262

“The single most important attribute for pass rushers in today’s up-tempo NFL is initial burst. Garrett excels in this area, showing the explosive first step to cross the face of would-be blockers on the perimeter and generating remarkable closing speed, which contributed to his knack for forcing the ball out.
        Garrett’s rare burst was quantified over the summer by Texas A&M’s use of GPS technology, which according to Aggies head coach Kevin Sumlin, tracked Garrett at a remarkable 19-20 miles per hour – times normally associated with wide receivers and defensive backs.

Garrett’s initial speed rush is impressive in its own regard, but is the moves he has created to complement this burst that separates him from most college pass rushers. Unlike most edge rushers of his height, Garrett has a flexible core, which allows him to dip, duck and change directions with remarkable fluidity.

The Aggies take full advantage of Garrett’s change of direction skills by occasionally sliding him inside to defensive tackle or running tackle-end stunts, allowing the athletic rusher to loop around and wreak havoc against overmatched guards and centers. Garrett has developed a quick inside spin and has learned to use his hands well, featuring classic rip and swim moves along with a surprisingly effective bull rush. Garrett also shows impressive awareness, timing his leaps to knock down passes at the line of scrimmage and sniffing out trick plays.

While Garrett’s “strength” lies with his length and athleticism, he is considerably more powerful than his somewhat lanky frame suggests. Garrett comes off the ball low and hard, maintaining his pad level throughout the play. He shows impressive functional strength to extend his arms, lock-out and anchor in the running game, as well as the power to drag down ballcarriers attempting to run past him.”

• rtfirefly says:

NJ, is he a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE?

I believe they’re playing a 4-3 at A&M RT.
        Either way, a good pass rusher is always a commodity worth having.
        I could care less if he excels at pass coverage at this point.
        Protect the QB.
        Sack the QB.
        That’s my mantra.

• rtfirefly says:

OK, NJ, thanks for the info!

Anytime RT.
        I’m a GM wannabe for a reason.
        Love this stuff 😀

13. Berger says:

It looks on TV that Chip likes to send a couple of blockers through the hole on running plays. That might work in college but in the pros players follow the blockers to the runner. This play would work if it wasn’t run so often. Teams look to be keying this play and tackling our runners by coming down the line too often. I don’t have a coaches film view of the plays so I am going by the limited quick shots of these plays on TV. If any of you have the All-22 let me know you think of my opinion. I would like to know.

The advantage of running from a spread formation is the box should not be too crowded so a downhill quick hitting running game would be more suited for the match-up. I’ve seen Chip running more down hill plays but still, not enough.

14. Berger says:

I’ve watched some video of Miles Garrett from last year. He is as quick as I remember seeing for somebody of that size. His lateral quickness is off the charts. It is hard to say how physical he is because he just out quicks everyone. I’d say he is probably very physical because when he gets to the ball carrier they go down with ease. He does not get juked out. He also causes a lot of fumbles.

The biggest strategy in football is having a good QB and getting to the QB so even a good one isn’t so good. This guy gets to the QB. I’ll be watching more of this guy. I haven’t seen any QBs this year worth as much as this guy who can neutralize QBs.

He is a 4-3 DE in college, he’ll be an OLB in the pros. He looks like a bigger more physical version of Von Miller. If any of you watch some of his video you will be stunned at how quick he is.

He’s already been Scouted from my perspective Berger.
      Been onboard for this kid since last year.
      As it looks thus far, we may have a shot at him too.
      Assuming Cleveland leaves him alone at what is likely the early favorite for the Top Pick.

• rtfirefly says:

Yeah, I’ve been reading that there aren’t any “can’t miss” QBs this year. Any QB we draft would have to be a Russell Wilson/Dak Prescott diamond-in-the-rough type.

No QB with the 1st rounder? Then this guy looks like the right target.

So far we’re doing out part by sucking too RT.
        If we continue our current trajectory, we’ll suck well enough to be in the running for his services.

• rtfirefly says:

Trade up if we have to. It’s not like we’re doing anything useful with the picks we do have.

Picking a QB just because we might need one doesn’t necessitate spending our Top Pick on one either.
        The ‘Best’ QB in pool of piss isn’t saying much IMO.
        Gotta take ‘BPA’ material.
        Best Player Available.
        Find good football players, that fit the style of play you’re shopping for, and let him win the job over someone else on the roster.

• rtfirefly says:

We need Pro-Bowlers. I want to get something concrete from this draft, preferably at the positions of most need. But Pro-Bowlers.

I’m sure that’s what EVERY GM is looking for.
        Which is why the BPA theory is widely considered the de facto premise by which GMs do their shopping.
        Nice to find a diamond in the rough on occasion but, when Drafting high, the talent rankings favor success if done properly.
        Baalke has to replace Aldon and Patrick, perhaps Bethea/Reid can be improved upon too.
        He’s started a youth movement in the Secondary.
        Gotta look at both S positions now.
        Tartt might supplant one of them at least.

Quite frankly, Tartt for Reid, Ward for Bethea could already be the plan moving forward?
        We’ll see as things continue to circle the drain.

• rtfirefly says:

That’s what I meant about trading up for a can’t miss once-in-a-generation player, NJ. I’m sick and tired of Baalke spending 1st round picks on Jimmie Ward types. I hope to God he and his entire scouting organization are long gone come April.

Could happen RT.
        I frankly don’t think Baalke has had anything but interference from guys like Paraag and Dr Daddy, trying to save money.
        He typically rates his prospects fairly well when it comes to Draft positioning.
        When Ownership is constantly recycling HCs, it defeats the roster building plans IMO.
        Guys that worked for Harbaugh don’t fit what Chip is doing now.
        I’d continue to fortify the Defense personally.
        Keep the opponent from scoring and you give your Offense a chance to survive.
        We’re not close to what we were on Defense now either.
        Too many holes to plug.

• rtfirefly says:

I want QB, WR, WR, RB, OLB and ILB for starters.

• rtfirefly says:

Oh, and I forgot Reno’s nose.

Another position I’d put on the future ‘shopping list’ is OC.
    Kilgore needs someone to push him for the starting job.
    A guy to watch is Pat Elfein from Ohio State.

Every time a Coaching Staff is recycled, schemes change with it.
    Guys have to learn new assignments etc.
    We’re hard to figure out right now, in terms of talent vs scheme.
    It looks to me like guys simply aren’t communicating or, they don’t have their assignments properly defined.
    We look like a hot mess in terms of stopping the Run.
    Granted, you don’t replace Willis and Bowman with Bellore and Wilhoit and expect similar results either.
    If guys aren’t assignment sound, this is what we get.
    Constantly being blown off the ball.

Yes RT, Berger and I are both strong advocates for the Fat Man in the Middle.
    Can’t understand why we haven’t shopped for one, as the 3-4 is predicated on having that ‘Plugger’ in the middle to stack things up.
    Part of what seems to be happening now is Buckner is tall as well as inexperienced.
    He’s getting washed out too easily.
    I’ll call it growing pains for now.
    We still need to upgrade at the Point.
    Dorsey is up there in terms of age, and, he’s built more like a NT than Dial and TJ-E.
    Ian is a good option but, he’s battling injuries already.
    Need to get younger and stronger inside.

Good Pluggers tend to be ‘squatty’ and strong, hard to move.
      Have to occupy a double team and clog it up in a 3-4.
      Which is why I’ve been hoping for a deal with the NYJ to get Mo off their hands.
      He’s a little taller but he’s versatile enough to move inside or out.
      See if that happens soon enough as the Trade Deadline is November 1.

My early favorite for the ‘Plugger’ is Derrick Nnadi from FSU.
    6’1″/312 and, he’s as strong as a bear.
    Absolutely destroys the running game.
    Read recently that he hoists 525Lbs of iron on the bench, squats over 600Lbs.
    See where he ends up in the Rankings as the season moves forward.
    Hoping right now that he makes into Rds 2 or 3.

Fitzpatrick got another Pick added to his abysmal record in AZ tonight too.
    Please Trent. Call Maccagnan in NY and see whether Kaep can kneel on their sideline before games.
    We’ll gladly take Mo off their hands in exchange.

“The Jets will be forced to determine if they can still run Fitzpatrick out at quarterback or if they need to make a change to Smith, Christian Hackenberg, Bryce Petty or anyone else they can find that could be more productive than Fitzpatrick has been through the first six weeks of the season.”

WOOF!

Speaking of 2nd half woes, Ryan Fitzpatrick has 0 TDs and 10 picks in the 2nd halfs of his games.

So it ain’t just us.

Tell ya another thing. These O linemen we regularly face are very able to get leverage on our tall DEs. Because they aren’t as tall. No one is. Leverage is about getting low, not being lanky. They aren’t even using their length to block passes. They are consistently getting pushed around. Name a dominant DE that was tall not named Too Tall Jones?

Bergs, are you saying that if the Niners drafted Ragland, he would have gotten hurt here? Interesting.

Who’s going to get fired first?
    A. Trent
    B. Chip
    C. Jed
    D. The hotdog vendor
    E. The turf guys
    F. The DC

23. Berger says:

I said in print about a week or two ago that our D-linemen are being misused. I blamed the coach. I even mentioned that Tomsula was an excellent D-line coach.

Former 49er D-lineman Dennis Brown just came out and said something very similar. He said we are two gapping even though we drafted more athletic type of players. He said if those are the type of players we drafted we should be using their athleticism to one gap and get penetration. I have to agree with Dennis.

I’m willing to give this coaching staff some time since I have no choice or say in the matter but I think this coaching staff is not so good. They misuse players, call college running schemes and get outcoached with half time adjustments.

Well, this is why I’m so frustrated with Baalke. We have needed ILB help for 2 years now and we ignore it.Random chance would get more positive hits than he’s gotten. Wilhoite is a backup at best, yet we don’t sign an FA or draft for a glaring need. You can say the same for the QB position, WR, and CB.

If he’s going BPA all the time then he sucks at it. And I don’t want to hear about Paraag in this process. Paraag doesn’t draft people. He doesn’t set the board or tell Baalke how to draft.

Unless you really think, Parraag is saying “don’t draft skill players at high spots because they cost more.” they fuck around in the building, but I can’t even imagine it comes to that. NO GM in their right mind would stick around for that.

25. Berger says:

I think we’ve had a lot of turnover in a short period. Baalke fixed the O-line and is getting there with the D-line. We have DBs. I don’t think his drafts are the problem. I think not filling in enough FAs and picking some bad coaches are his problem. We need more quality players and instead of payers we have massive cap space. If he gets fired he has at least set up a desirable situation for whoever takes his place. A young team and lots of cap room. The problem he would leave behnd is the coaching situation. Tomsula to be paid for two more years after this one and firing Chip probably won’t happen with his new contract.

I guess we’re all lucky in a way. We not responsible for this mess. If I were Trent I would grab a Greyhound out of town for parts unknown the sooner the better. His hoarse voice must be getting hoarser by the minute. He’ll start blaming his coaches to save himself trying to fool Jed again.

We are the worse team in the league and it’s because we have a bunch of no talent players. Anyone who thinks we are even close to being ok is not seeing what I am. Maybe it’s me that isn’t seeing clearly but at this point I don’t think that’s the case. We are in a progression of imploding and it is just gonna get worse. I don’t expect any miracles but I do expect some change. Pretty soon the paying customer base is gonna speak and I don’t mean on blogs like this. They made their money for this year but unless there is some sort of over haul I doubt next year will look so good.

I think it’s a combination of what you and Bergs are saying. There IS talent on this team. It just isn’t being used right. We have lost a lot of talent, and we aren’t replacing it. That is the biggest problem. Scheme, play calling, run defense all pretty much suck. Whether it’s beause of the read and react defense or guys just getting washed out at both levels, well, I don’t know for sure.

Offense? Well, work in progress as we switch to Kappy. He did fine in the 1st half. 2nd half? Well, our offense goes bye bye. With both QBs. Do they both suck, or is it a coaching issue? Are we out-schemed every game? Well, this is how it got under Harbaugh. Same problems by the end of his run.

The biggest problem is the lack of impact players. And I don’t think Baalke drafts well for defense as well as offense. 6 years of drafts have netted little. Hia shining guy Eric Reid is fading as the talent around him fades.

Teams that are worse than the Niners?
    A. Browns
    B. Dolphins
    C. Jets
    D. Panthers

Shit, the Browns may be 10-6 but for their injuries. I think every starter has gone down.

Kevin, if you are out there, I’ll be there this Sunday. I’m bringing 2 of my kids.

Anyone else out there going?

You have chance to see Chuck on Sunday. What do you do?
    A. Run for the hills
    B. Claim a headache is got you down
    C. Bring a whole shit load of food
    D. Complain about the Niners
    E. Bring along Bullit and Skeebers

Fuck the fans. When family is calling you out, there’s trouble.

Chuck my issues regarding Paraag have everything to do with his insertion into what I’ve been defending all along, ‘a non-football guy getting between the football guys.’
    No, Paraag doesn’t select players but, he does influence the roster with Contract decisions.
    Baalke owns his selections, good bad or, indifferent.
    What blows this process up is, Ownership’s decision to meddle in the football Ops.
    Paraag had no business in the booth, meddling with things that he knew nothing about.
    He’s another layer of interference between the Staff and the GM that simply didn’t need to be there.
    If Harbaugh wanted to retain Iupati and Paraag low-balled him, he’s gone.
    Now Baalke has a hole to fill.
    When Ownership cans a Staff, the GM is on reset with yet another Staff, trying again to fill more holes, created by idiots at the top who just can’t stay out of view.
    Eddie eluded to communication issues. Wonder why?
    Inept Ownership.
    No one wins when they’re battling front office politics that don’t need to be there.

Blow the whole thing up. We the fans have nothing anyway.

Jim Harbaugh is invited back to the next half time home game. He rides in on a white horse waving at the fans. Cheers would reign down from the stands. Jed announces his abdication as leader more cheers come down. The owners box is vacated! People are excited again! Oops…….the daydreaming is over……sorry. Gots to eat something.

• 12th Man says:

Snickers?

• 12th Man says:

NJ, I think you excuse way too much with this Paraag stuff. He did contracts, no scouting, setting the board or making selections, that is Baalke, plain and simple and accountable. Time you stopped making semi valid excuses and faced facts.

No excuses 12th.
        It’s a clusterf*k created by Ownership.
        Whether Baalke stays or goes isn’t my concern.
        Be it Trent or any other GM in this situation, we’re the second coming of Danny Snyder under this scenario.
        I simply want Ownership to stay the eff outta the way.
        They’re directly responsible for creating chaos where it doesn’t need to be.

• rtfirefly says:

I’ve been on the Paraag is evil train for a long time. He and Jed came into the organization at the same time (I’m not sure but I think Jed got Paraag the job – needs checking). They’ve been best buddies from the beginning. I think if Jed grabs a Kleenex, Paraag leaps up to wipe his nose with it.

• rtfirefly says:

If I remember correctly, it was Paraag who sold Dr. York his analytics nonsense that led to Stanford interns rating college prospects for our draft. Paraag was also in the OC booth during Sing’s tenure. Don’t kid yourself that he doesn’t get involved in the football nuts and bolts of the team.

Paraag in the booth? Leaking his displeasure with Kaep and Harbaugh to the media?
    There’s just been way too much involvement for a Cap Guy IMO.
    It’s undermining the stability needed for a HC/GM to do what needs to be done.
    Players don’t like constant scheme/Staff changes either.
    Could have had a lot to do with all the defections following Harbaugh’s dismissal too.
    Had Fangio stayed with Gase, who knows?
    I’m just fed up with all the meddling and media musings surrounding these clowns.

RT that’s how I’ve understood the scenario also.
    Baalke has been handicapped if nothing else.
    Both Jed and Paraag are football wannabes assigned by Dr Daddy.
    Perhaps they’ve moved Paraag out of view but, we know he’s still influencing things somewhere behind the scenes.
    Cap money isn’t spent without his approval either.
    GMs screw up Picks, no great news there.
    What compounds it is constant turmoil involving Coaching.
    We’re a 3-Ring Circus no matter where you choose to point the figure.

37. Berger says:

I would give Baalke one more year. He has rebuilt the O-line and is close with the D-line. On defense we need one pass rusher, NT, some ILBs and a DC. On offense we need a QB, some WRs and a better scheme. It is really hard to foresee Eric Reid taking a dump like he is doing but
    Ward should be able to move over.

IMO, Baalke’s biggest flaw is the coach he hired. That coach is going nowhere this off season no matter who the GM is. He is just getting paid too much for too long. We don’t know what they are talking about behind the scenes but Baalke has set himself up nicely with a lot of cap space. He needs to use it this off season or start looking for other employment. He has the tools to fill in the roster very nicely in 2017. I’ll join the hanging posse next summer if he screws this up.

To that end Berger, the Cap space is likely generated by Paraag and the roster moves orchestrated since the post-Harbaugh meltdown occurred.
      I personally don’t know of any GM that isn’t happy to spend on needed players in this game.
      Comes back to my basic debate of who runs the show.
      Baalke wears the GM title, he’s accountable in the personnel sense but, he’s not managing the budget.
      Knowing the cheapskate practices surrounding the Dr Daddy Regime, I seriously question the motives of sitting on the Cap surplus while we painfully struggle through yet another Coaching curve.
      Agree also that Chip is here for whatever length of time his Contract calls for I’d guess.
      Baalke will take the fall if Jed feels it’s necessary to offer up yet another sacrificial lamb as proof of his unending quest for success.
      We’re f*cked with this Ownership Circus unfortunately.

• Berger says:

I don’t agree but that doesn’t mean you are wrong. None of us know what goes on behind the scenes. I can see Chip lasting only two or three years if he continues coaching the same as this year. He might be in a situation where he knows he is in a building mode and just being patient. Again, we don’t know what talks are going on behind the scenes.

I am pretty sure every team has their Paraage, the NFL is big business. He was hired for his business skills. So what if he sits in a booth during a game. I think you guys are deflecting the blame away from Baalky. There are draft caps now that ensure that rookies don’t break the bank anymore. I think Baalky got a big head and thought his shit don’t stink. He has made bad decsions across the board. And, I don’t blame not signing any FA on Paraage, that is all Baalky.

Winder Baalke accepts responsibility for the roster.
      I’m clear on that front.
      How Paraag was assigned to the booth to ‘assist’ with challenges and the sort is way beyond what most Cap Guys are paid to do.
      It’s simply my contention that it’s divisive by nature to the continuity normally associated with the football Ops.
      The Baalke/Harbaugh dynamic should not have had to deal with personal differences involving Harbaugh/Kaep and Paraag.
      Fly in the ointment kinda stuff IMO.
      It likely fractured the relationships needed between the HC/GM/QB leading directly to the media leaks and, igniting the fuse that eventually burned down a successful run under Harbaugh.
      I won’t lose an ounce of sleep if Baalke is replaced either.
      I simply can’t see anyone who replaces him having any better results when Coaching Staffs are constantly being replaced or meddled with in the manner we’ve seen since Jed took the reigns.

Bigger picture issue for me is that Ownership determines who gets hired.
    Good Coaches recognize the situation they’re coming into due to the instability involved.
    Look no further than DC or Dallas for years.
    Even Parcells got tired of Jerruh playing on the ego trip he’s offered since he fired Jimmy years ago.
    We’re traveling down the same road.
    Chip was on the rebound. Gase was willing to make a go of it, a move that might have benefited Kaep greatly at that time.
    We’re just spiraling out of control from the top down.
    I just don’t see anything positive happening until Ownership wises up or, better yet, moves on.

• Winder says:

I am afraid that ‘wises up’ is our only option.

We’re a hot mess Winder.
        Glad for now to see Eddie’s daughter Lisa chiming in at least.
        For whatever that gets us anyway.
        Never thought I’d see the day this franchise would crash and burn as it has.

Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!

Dear Lord …..Persuade the inept Yorks to sell. Somehow these people are too damn dumb for sports.

Hard to think the D line is doing anything but sucking hard, Bergs. 312 on the ground last week? Our Des regularly get washed out and the ILBs are getting pushed back. we offer little resistance. A 21 yard run on 3rd and 20 is horrific. This team defense is scattershot at best. SOME of it is scheme, but we regularly get pushed around up front.

Baalke has been drafting for defense for 6 years now and we have little to show for it.

He is the constant in these last 5 years as the talent has left or grown old, and the young players don’t make the grade. Fuck Paraag. He’s a guy in a suit who may or may not be sticking his nose in too far.

The MAIN reason this team got good was because of Scotty’s drafts in the 00s. That and a coach who had a decent plan when he got here when the talent was there.

And yes, Harbaugh initiated his departure. He saw the talent drain coming and manufactured a lot of the bullshit that is attributed to the front ofice.

• rob says:

Deande Smelter is back

• Berger says:

I think we have a talented D-line that is being misused. The LBs make them look worse too because they are not very good at all. If you draft tall athletic D-linemen their job should be to make plays, not two gap. Our ILBs are so bad our DC should be attacking with the line and have the LBs fill the gaps. We are trying to do the opposite. It is really making me question the coaching.

43. Berger says:

I know in the land of Harbaugh bowing I’m not going to be popular with this post. Harbaugh saw the talent was getting old and players were starting to get injured. IMO, he orchestrated his exit by feuding with ownership. He was reading a book about dividing to win. I think he was saving his legacy.

Whatever happened, he is gone now. This roster lost a lot of players from age and many more who weren’t expected to leave. What went on with Kap and Aldon is still having an effect IMO. We lost Aldon and Kap is now taking orders from his ex girlfriend.

In the meantime, The lines had to be rebuilt. That is almost done. The back of the defense is done. Nobody expected Bowman to go down again. Ray Ray is out too. We are terrible at ILB. On offense it is obvious that Gabbert and Kap are not the answer. Ponder probably isn’t either but I would like to see. In any event we do need a QB and some WRs.

My hope is the coaches are just using this year to feel out what they have and we will use the coming year to fill in the holes. The QB situation is tricky. You can’t just say we need a QB and go get one. At some point a team needs a little luck in choosing. Like Montana in the 3rd, Brady in the 6th and Prescott in the 4th. Every team passed on all those players multiple times. That is why I would give Ponder a chance soon, you never know. Maybe at the least he can keep a spot until we find an ‘it’ QB.

All in all, this team lost talent much faster than expected. It can’t be fixed over night. Some continuity is what we need. Is Baalke the guy? I don’t know but he has been put in a tough spot. Any GM would be struggling with a talent purge like we had. I wish he would have picked a different coach but for now we have Chip. One thing a do know is changing coaches and GMs every year is a loser. Baalke has began his rebuilding process and is set up up for a huge off season with the tools he has at his disposal. I wouldn’t be upset if he goes away but I can see what he is trying to accomplish. Finish shoring up the defense and see if we can get a QB.

I know some will disagree but this Kap situation IS having a huge affect on this team. IMO, we need to get it in the rear view mirror.

I don’t know who you are talking to Bergs but I said 2 years ago that Harbs did what he did on purpose. He orchestrated his way out. He knew Baalke was not very good at his job so he butted heads with him and angered Jed with the ‘men only’ comment.

Whatevs.

Baalke is in a tough spot? Uh, no. He’s done nothing but draft 2nd stringers for 4 years now. He has actively ignored our glaring needs and missed out on free agents that could have helped immensely. The team had abundant talent when he got here and now the cupboard is bare.

The O line is playing a little better in pass pro, but run blocking sucks. The D line and ILBs are turnstiles. The DBs can’t cover for 5+ seconds so we get burned deep.

And speculate all you want about Kaepernick. It is fallacy to think it is doing anything to the team. The team sucks all by itself. Players all over the country are joining in. College and ugh school. In different sports. Except baseball. Gee I wonder why.

The quality of suck is declining. Not the quantity.

• rob says:

I think he’s talking to all the people who seem to think Harbaugh is some kind of angel who descended from heaven and took our team to the Superbowl single-handed. Only to be driven off on purpose by the jealous demons Baalke and Jed. Lol