For good or ill we are finally on the brink of the 2015 season. Coach Tomsula has said that Kappy and the first stringers are getting the first quarter, and Gaine Blabbert and the rest of the crew get the remaining 3. I guess they need to see what they can get out of Gabbert as he was rated the worst backup in the league. This from a guy drafted 10th in 2011, 26 spots ahead of one Colin Kaepernick. 25 spots ahead of Andy Dalton. 2 spots ahead of Christian Ponder. He was also 2 spots behind, Jake Locker, and 9 spots behind #1 pick, Cam Newton.
Of the 6 QBs taken in the first 2 rounds that year, only Dalton and Newton are pro bowlers. But only Kaepernick has had playoff success. He’s the only one to get into a Super Bowl, anyhow. And he’s the only one with a winning playoff record.
- Kappy has a 4-2 playoff record, (90.6 rating) with a couple impressive road victories among them.
- Newton? 1-2 record, 80.6 playoff rating.
- Dalton? Eeeesh. 0-4 with a 58.7 playoff rating.
- Ponder led Minn to their only recent playoff berth in 2012, but missed the game due to injury. Since then, he dropped to 3rd string last year and is now a Raider.
- Locker has been hurt and ineffective his career and has retired.
- Gabbert? Well, 5-22 (66.2 rating) on a shitty team does no good. No playoff experience.
Much has been made of Kappy getting help this offseason. As in why didn’t he do it before? Well, I thought we had the quarterback whisperer. Wasn’t he the divine savior of passers? Well, I guess not. But looking at that large class of QBs, you realize that what appears to be a slam-dunk often isn’t. The next guy taken after Kappy was Ryan Mallett with the 74th pick in the 3rd round by the Pats. He’s now a Texan. One start in his career, but he’ll battle Brian Hoyer to be the starter. Ricki Stanzi of KC and TJ Yates have actually seen a little success, but TJ’s now a Brown, and Stanzi is bouncing around the league and has landed on the Giants.
Anyhow, on with the season!!! Go Niners! Let’s all pay attention the the play clock.
My first priority now. Anyone want to put money on a false start?