A New Dawn — A New Defense?

Super Bowl bound! 4-12? Shit, who am I kidding. I have no clue how this season turns out. Despite the naysayers and those that laugh and predict doom for jettisoning St. Jim the Wolverine, the team still has talent and the offense will hopefully move out of the 70s.

The defense? Well, shit should be fine, if not a little thin in the defensive backfield. Which leads me to believe we will be a little more aggressive with the pass rush. Ahmad Brooks still remains a 49er, albeit that depends on the charges brought forth by the woman who brought down RayMac. Cutting him at this point would only save $1.5 mill against the cap, so he’ll probably stick around if these charges go away.

If anything, both Ahmad Brooks, and his bookend OLB Aldon Smith have a lot to prove with their recent travails and issues. The defensive line should still be fairly stout as Justin Smith hasn’t been himself the last couple years, and the rest of the crew, plus Darnell Dockett should be good to go. These OLBs (Lunch included) can wreak some havoc if the D line takes care of business. Eli Harold has been seen as a high-value pick where we got him.  Arik Armstead? He’s got the ‘potential’ tag laid all over him. The positive being Jim Tomsula has done very well as a D line coach with a lot less than AA.

Inside LB? Well, there’s the rub. Bowman is by all intents coming along just fine, but his injury was horrific and he is a question. Wilhoite has shown decent game, but his  ceiling isn’t very high. Moody and the rest? Ehh. Have to wonder if someone will fall off a team after cut-down time.

The secondary is thin as well. Even with the signing of Jaquaski Tartt, heir apparent to Antoine Bethea. The only question is when.  The corners were left thin by the Cully and COX departures, but Brock should be healthy. Johnson came on very well last year, but he’s a question as a starter and Shareece Wright isn’t all that. They did sign UDFA Mylan Hicks (Mich St) to a 3 year deal so they see something there.

As far as the coaches go, they have a lot of guys with a lot of time in the game. What does it mean? Little to nothing in itself, but Mangini is on the right side of the line now at least.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

193 Responses to A New Dawn — A New Defense?

Without benefit of any training camp views or opinions, and no exhibition games, I’m feeling the offense will be better than last year, the defense not as good. I can’t see howinhell the offense could be worse than last year, so I think I’m safe on that one. Hell, if they can get the plays off before the clock runs out we’re halfway to a great offense…

Chuck, Theisman is a turd.
    LT should have broken his mouth, not his leg.
    But I digress….

I feel like this season is all about adjustments.
    New Staff, schemes etc.
    Can’t have an opinion either way until I see something to base an opinion on.

I feel like Baalke is always a year or 2 ahead of the changes anyway.
    What didn’t help was the sudden departures of Willis and Davis.
    Mangini should be fine as the DC, we’ll see what he conjures up for the new personnel soon enough.
    I know he’s a bit more of a mad scientist so, it may take some time to implement the schemes he’s known for.

Despite all the negative aspects of the Harbaugh departure, I do think we went as far as the personnel could take us in his scheme.
    We lacked a potent passing attack.
    Be it the QB/WRs or, the plan in general, we seemed to have hit a spot where opponents seemed to have figured it out.

As with anything in this game.
    Change isn’t always an easy step to take but, it’s often necessary.
    I’m anywhere between 6-10 and 10-6 until I see something that looks like football being played.
    Too many unknowns right now.

We’ve got guys like Moody and Lemonier still hanging onto roster spots too.
    IMO, guys get 2 years to step up or step out.
    Not sure where we stand on those 2. or VMcD.
    Seeing as Baalke loaded up on TEs this year, I think that Group is going to see some major changes.
    For now, I’ll be happy to see the TEs used as receiving options, instead of extra O-Linemen.
    Just give me something that resembles a short passing game and, things might just be more fun to watch this year.
    Kaep is the straw that stirs this drink.
    Hoping for him to step it up with the timing and decision making this year.

4. 12th Man says:

At corner they have Reaser and Acker (sp?), too soon to tell, but they are in the mix and drew good reviews so far.
    Niners have consistently done well at corner with or without “names” or by using retreads like Carlos who, much like Wright, were not thought highly of.
    O line is my big area of concern so far.

5. rob says:

The good news from mini camp is both tartt and deandre white have looked really good.

At DB we have excellent starters and depth . We have a bunch of contenders to play corner too.

Yeah last year my take was Fangio did a lot with a little while Harbaugh did a little with a lot.

Both sides of the ball suffered major injuries, but only Fangio adjusted. With Harbaugh it was more that I think he limited what Kappy was supposed to do. They forced him into not playing his style of football. Stupidly enough he had more yards rushing last year than the year before because he was more often running for his life.

Funny how the cocksuckers are already giving the Lombardi trophy to the Seahawks. Remember he angst when the Hawks got Harvin?

Jimmy graham may be a solid TE but he isn’t a Blocker and he will be asked to do a lot of that. He may very well may tire of not getting the amount of balls thrown his way that he’s used to.

8. Berger says:

Unca- I will admit that Fangio did a great job with the injuries he had but it doesn’t mean I was happy with a lot of his strategies. He played it too vanilla too often. It seemed if a team needed a first down they would just find the TE. It frustrated the heck out of me that he could not get the defense off the field far too often. Our D would end up gassed in the 4th Q. The lack of a pass rush was too often perplexing as heck. He made David Carr look like rookie of the year. He had good stats but there is a lot more to winning than stats.

• rob says:

I think fangio did an excellent job last year keeping our defense in the top 5. we couldn’t do too much up front because of our multiple injuries at CB.

The pisser for me was seeing us stunting all over the place in the first Ram game and then going very vanilla vsDenver. Rushing 4 and dropping 7 against Manning is a bad idea. Then the rams drop 52 unanswered points on the Raiders and we make them look like the ’67 Packers.

There were too many games with little or no sustained pass rush.

But we were pretty wiped out personnel-wise. Again, I think the change will do the players good.

10. rob says:

evan mathis is still out there ! I hope we make a play for him

11. rob says:

looks like Dorsey might be moving to DE this year

J Smith won’t be as much a loss as it’s being made out to be. He was pretty much done by the end of 2012. We have a lot of bodies, so I hope these guys figure out a solid rotation among the group.

My English buddy (guy on the left) in a Texas band . . .

Funny that Seattle by percentage ran the most in the NFL last year. He won’t need to block. Eiiiiiight. Hard to be a decoy on a run.

Funny that Seattle by percentage ran the most in the NFL last year. Graham won’t need to block. Eiiiiiight. Hard to be a decoy on a run.

• rob says:

Chuck
      Jimmy graham is the least of our problems right now IMHO. We have to get our own shit together first before we worry much about that.
      Funny thing is we’ve beaten new Orleans every time we’ve played em lately. Except the refs b.s. game. In all our recent games vs. NO I don’t seem to remember Graham turning the tide ?!

15. rob says:

I do see that some spitiot on another blog professes that we have nobody who can cover Graham. Well the same guy before harbaugh was insisting we cut pretty much half the team. He also insisted we trade up for Jake locker among a million other stupid statements. Please leave that shit on the other blog please.

Funny thing about Spitty Rob, he crows long and loud if his guesses turn out to be correct, not so much with his failures, which are abundant.

Shot, even the national media is coming around a bit where it concerns the Niners. There IS still a lot of talent on the team, and the coaching staff seems to be on the same page. Something that was not happening last year under Captain Turmoil.

Shit, I’m just happy to see Johnny Morton and Greg Roman gone. What we have is a mystery but it has to be better than what we had last year.

• Berger says:

I think I was the #1 advocate to get rid of Roman. It was more about finding out if it was Roman or Harbaugh than accusing Roman. The more I hear about the situation it seems like Harbaugh was more of the problem than Roman. I’m not sure how anybody would think it is a good idea to have 4 people call the plays. How could any recipe for a rhythm be established with too many cooks spoiling the broth?

Mangini has been talking at least about raising the blitz factor, based on what he sees from the offenses we face.

Stressing unpredictability.

Something I think both sides of the ball desperately need. This team has been nothing but stodgy in recent years. has it served us well? Sure. At times. But for too many games, the team came out flat and predictable. Good teams exploited that to the extreme.

Seems like TC is still a mile away. I also think in this case change is very welcome and good. At this point there is no sense in worrying about anything. Sure we will miss a few players but overall we will be younger and faster pretty much all around. Hoping that Davis can step in sometime this year and give us the dimensions we need at RB.

Hunter, Hyde, and Bush are going to get most of the work, but I think they can get him up to speed. Something lacking with this team. I’m more interested in how Torrey Smith does. Getting a deep threat is a welcome addition.

Hunter, Hyde, and Bush are going to get most of the work, but I think they can get Davis up to speed. Something lacking with this team. Speed. I’m more interested in how Torrey Smith does. Getting a deep threat is a welcome addition.

21. rob says:

75 days until the start of the regular season

Bullit is ragging on Winder for being a homer as the beat barely goes on ……..on the other blog. Go Winder! Stomp on those guys good!

23. rob says:

A Michigan football player says harbaugh and a dozen members of his staff told him they want him to “retire” from college . they took paperwork to him to get him to sign.

Perhaps he can drive the player to a nearby Walmart and pick-up some Khaki pants and get him into coaching instead.

Yeah, that’s Jim being Jim. Just trying to free up a scholarship at the cost of some kids dream.

25. rob says:

The best part is the kid can transfer out to any school . why do they have to make the kid quit .

Yeah, forget the torn ACL, arthritis in his knee and the two concussions, all by age 22. Forget that by signing the form, Pipkins stays on a full four year scholarship, which would allow his way to be paid all the way to a bachelor’s. Harbaugh’s just an ass. Yeah right.

Did I forget to mention that the surgeon who repaired the ACL just recommended rest for the knee for six months? Oh yeah, Harbaugh’s an ass. I forgot.

(He was recently seen by his surgeon in response to the team doctors finding the arthritis in his knee. But screw the kid being able to walk at age 25. NCAA football rules! Harbaugh’s an ass.)

• rob says:

RT nice to see you’ve found your way back to the dark side

• rob says:

Good to have you back with us.

• rtfirefly says:

Good to hear from you, Rob! I haven’t left. I post on both blogs when there’s anything to post about, which there isn’t now. I made my prediction of 5-11 and now we wait for the season to commence.

Last time I checked Jim Harbaugh wasn’t a doctor. The knee injury happened in 2013 by the way.

It was Harbaugh and the coaches begging him to quit, not the doctors. The doctors cleared him to play, and then at the behest of the coaching staff, changed their story.

Pipkins said doctors initially told him he has some arthritis in the knee but that he should not be disqualified from competition. But as pressure continued from others within the program to sign the medical form, he was sent by Michigan back to his knee surgeon, who then recommended he rest his body for six months.

“Others within the organization” being coaches, not the medical staff.

My point being Harbaugh isn’t looking out for the welfare of Pipkins, he wants another scholarship to throw at someone.

33. Berger says:

It would be hard for me to believe Harbaugh would not look out for the health of the kid. He probably did want another scholarship freed up but I doubt he was throwing the kid under the bus. Kudos to the kid for just wanting to play. He’ll probably be a coach some day.

• rtfirefly says:

Absolutely Harbs wants the scholarship freed up, Reno – no argument there. You should be aware what arthritis in a rebuilt knee at his age means – the beginning of complete deterioration. His surgeon recommended six months rest. That precludes the season. The kid can still get paid to graduate. There is no abuse of the NCAA medical scholarship rule here; Harbs is looking out for the kid in a way that best benefits all concerned.

Chuck apparently thinks the coaching staff have no eyes or ears and didn’t think anything was wrong. They just wanted the kid’s knee re-examined to get him off the team. Although that begs the question of why they were right, there’s arthritis in the knee.

Unless Chuck is now suggesting that the surgeon is on the take and would risk his medical license to practice, not to mention his freedom and a couple million bucks, to say what Harbs wants.

• rob says:

The player says he feels fine and might decide to transfer out instead of “retiring.” Maybe harbaugh and company should at least refrain from waving papers in the kids face until he can make a decision.

• rtfirefly says:

If the kid if such an idiot that he wants to be a kneeless gimp at a very young age, that should be his choice so long as he pays for it all. Who said he “waved papers in the kids (sic) face?” – just a bit of media hyperbole perhaps?

3-4 members of the coaching staff talked to him numerous times about retiring. RTF. During charity events even. After the medical staff cleared him to play. Did you read the second article? The AD of Michigan told him to retire. It was the coaching staff and the administration, not have doctors.

Gore had 3 surgeries in college. Plenty of players come back from knee injuries.

• rtfirefly says:

Arthritis is an entirely different condition. I don’t believe arthritis can be fixed by surgery. The medical staff found arthritis. So did the surgeon. What did his surgeon recommend? Yeah, let’s just blow off the guy who rebuilt the knee. That’s smart. Not.

“Defensive lineman Ondre Pipkins told ESPN that Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, head athletic trainer Paul Schmidt and associate athletic director Jim Minick asked Pipkins about 10 times over a two-month period to sign a medical scholarship form that would have ended his career with the Wolverines before he wanted it to end.”

So the people in charge, in response to the surgeon’s assessment, pressured the kid to show half a brain? It seems the kid doesn’t want to concede an inch and have the slightest bit of gray matter in his skull – must be the two concussions.

• rtfirefly says:

I suppose if he keeps on playing college football, accelerates the degeneration of his knee, and doesn’t graduate, he can get a wheelchair job as a customer service rep for Dish – just so long as he doesn’t need medical marijuana. Being a CSR for Dish doesn’t require any intelligence – in fact I think it’s a liability – and would allow him to work from the wheelchair he’d be headed to.

BULLSHIT is a smelly condition.

Meanwhile on the Depression Blog, the downers are expecting the 49ers to fall into perpetual mediocrity. The moaning and groaning over there can rival a full blown wake. Imagine grown men weeping!

Funny, for all Harbaugh’s success, I’ve won just as many national chsmpionships and Super Bowls as St. Jim.

And I’m supposed to let go his foibles?

• Winder says:

i’m putting Harbaugh in my rear view mirror for good, sick of hearing his name anymore. I don’t even give a shit if he wins in Michigan. The whole thing has been way to much bullshit.

For what it’s worth –
    Another opinion, regarding the Offensive outlook for our 9ers…

39. Berger says:

NJ- Here is a paragraph from the article you posted:

“Roman’s scheme often included calling two plays in the huddle, motioning players around before the snap to see if the defense was in man coverage or zone. Then the quarterback would check to the proper play or let the first play run. It was a timely and, at times, costly process.”

If the only change made with the new coaching staff is not calling 2 plays in the huddle then the coaching change is worth it. I do not expect to lead the league in delay of game penalties anymore. There are idiot fans who blamed the penalties on Kap but anybody who understands the game knows it was the play calling that was responsible.

When we start getting plays off on time the Kap haters will say he’s improving. The reality is the problem was RoBaugh.

Funby thing is, Harbaugh should have stuck with young sir Alex since the offense he ran suited Smith better than Kappy.

Harbaugh didn’t (and stop me if you’ve heard this before) adjust to what he had in Kappy.

• Berger says:

Kap was better than Smith from the start. Then the defenses adjusted to RoBaugh’s one dimensional play calling by stacking the box. So RoBaugh took the offense into the garage, tore it down and started over. They tried to run an offense they did not know how to call plays for and were still one dimensional. In the end, since Smith would check down by nature while Kap goes for the juggler, Smith would have suited RoBaugh better. That is not a good thing.

That’s the point. Smith was all about he the check down. Safe underneath shit that good teams ca take away. Even with all the changes. There was no consistency and no deep game to speak of. It was the same out routes over and over. No timing playys no screens or slants.

• Berger says:

Either way the defenses adjust. So you either have them adjust to the dump off or to the deep pass. This doesn’t even account for the lack of adjustments Robaugh made during the game. I have zero doubt that if Harbaugh stayed we would be sub .500 this coming year. Possibly a top 3 pick. The only thing our offense would be able to count on is some big plays by Kap. I think the new staff will have some answers. We will soon find out.

Yeah, I just think they were trending down regardless of the injuries.

4 years and they still couldn’t get plays off in time. What’s funny is this gets blamed on Kappy, but Alex Smith had the same problems with Harbaugh, and the previous offenses as well. Cost them the Super Bowl.

Got to love the fans hoping they go 0-16 for a draft pick next year. No time like the future.

• Winder says:

I think people just say shit to get a reaction. What kind of fan would hope their team would lose every game? Getting some low round draft picks sound good but it usually takes years and quite a few picks to turn a team around.
      I think Kappy will shine this year myself, even with a patchwork o-line which is what we will have.

• rtfirefly says:

What kind of fan roots for another 21 years of mediocrity and failure? Not a very good one IMHO. Yeehah, we made it to 8-8 this year. Break out the champagne!

• Winder says:

rt- who’s rooting for mediocrity?

21 years of mediocrity base on what, RTF? The fact the Jed fired St Jim? Right. It’s end times.

We made it to 8-8 WITH Harbaugh. If that’s the definition, then mediocrity has already set in.

How Harbaugh comes across as not being part of the problems surrounding this team continue to baffle me. Yes he amassed a great record as a coach here. But he was given they keys to a talented team. He didn’t quite get over the top and he pissed everyone off in the building. Why shouldn’t he be held to the standards he himself set?

He gone. He gone he gone. Move on. Firing Harbaugh guarantees 21 years of mediocrity? He’ll of a leap there. Beyond that, the talent is certainly different this year. Better or not remains to be seen. Is this team as talented as the 2012 team? I do t think so, but I think the defense can hold its own and the offense improves, so we are in the playoff mix.

If St Jim showed us anything it’s thT a c group of coaches can turn around a team quickly without too much problem. And Harbaugh did it in a strike shortened offseason.

Will this staff succeed? No way to know until they hit he field. Watch the games. To hope for failure based on poor St Jim’s fate is ridiculous.

Beyond that it worked out well for the Warriors.

• rtfirefly says:

21 years based on what? Huh? I can count. Quick question: What NFC West teams – PLURAL – have won Lombardi Trophies since the last time the Niners did?

What advantage do you think the team will obtain by a mid-range draft position vs. the obvious advantage of #1 overall?

What the hell does Harbaugh have to do with anything? Where in my post or any of my posts relating to the subject of draft position did I ever mention Harbaugh? You have Harbaugh on the brain. You are fixated on Harbaugh. You are haunted by Harbaugh. You know you are flat out wrong about Harbaugh’s superior coaching ability and it has driven you to distraction, so you use every defensive technique ever described by psychiatrists to try and mask your own knowledge of your wrongness. You see Harbaugh in your dreams and on the walls. You find Harbaugh in posts where no such Harbaugh exists.
      But I digress…

• 12th Man says:

Hi RT, just trying to understand your position. You want the Niners to have the first pick in the 2016 draft so they can become better than mediocre in a shorter timeframe?

• rtfirefly says:

That;s the idea, 12th – the quickest route to hoisting a Lombardi Trophy.

Not sure what your point is then, RTF. 8-8 was a reference to what? This year’s expectations? 21 years spans 9 years of Eddie’s ownership as well as the Dorks.

Well, the Niners were close in 99 ’til Steve went down. They were close under Harbaugh. They were close in 1970, 1971, and 1972. 1985, 1986, and 1987 as well. None of those times did they get over the hump. So, what yodo you do? Quit watching? I’ve suffered through every playoff loss of theirs except for Detroit in 1957.

So, we do what? Call it a day and change everything every time? That’s a very short-term approach. And one that rarely works. Talk to Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones about it. This team was seen as a mess under Nolan/Sing but majically got wonderful under Harbs? Well, it wasn’t all peace love and granola, was it? As noted for, oh the last 15 years since Eddie fucked up, even a great owner can screw the pooch. Lesser ones more so. Are we there now? No way to know without seeing results from the new coaching staff. The latest regime hasn’t covered itself in glory, but they aren’t at the Browns level of decrepitude. Sure, nothing to hang your hat on, but

Jed is seen as a meddling punk, but what he did with Harbaugh was dictated by Harbaugh’s actions as time went on. Eddie was seen the same way when he hired Joe Thomas, who then jettisoned everyone in sight, including a very popular coach in Monte Clark, and traded away a raft of draft picks for OJ Simpson. Beyond that, a #1 pick guarantees what? Nothing. Who was our last #1? You know, the guy who was misused and traded after 7 years. Is that on the owner? No. Is it on the GM? No. That was on the coaching staff. the GM has been great to poor depending on the drafts you look at.

If it was easy to win championships, everyone would have a trophy.

Sir Spit awards himself a trophy every *** damn day! If he could kiss himself on the a** he would do it.

Sir Spit has vowed to quit reading this blog. He just can not take the intelligence and high minded discourse that takes place here. Also he takes the opportunity to kiss Skeeber’s arse and the blog he runs. Can we think it? Sir Spit is a brown nose! How can one man sink so low!

Skeebs must be hurting for participants to keep Spitty around for more than a couple of weeks

Indeed Nippy indeed.

47. Berger says:

Under the column, “You Can’t Fix Stupid”, Bullit can’t comprehend simple English. Here is what I wrote:

“I have zero doubt that if Harbaugh stayed we would be sub .500 this coming year. Possibly a top 3 pick.”

And here is what he responded:

“Our departed friend MR B who has gone to the safe confines of Fairyland Blog North Korea is stating that if Harbaugh stayed on the Niners would have one of the top 3 picks in next years draft.”

What a stretch of the truth to suit one’s hatred. I definitely made the correct decision to stop blogging there. Putting up with that kind of shit from a dumb ass is not worth it. Those people were made for each other. At least I’m glad to see Bullit is reading and learning from my posts.

Yeah, the whole ‘we accept differing viewpoints’ deal is funny. The differing viewpoints range from ‘I HATE JED’ to ‘I don’t like Jed’ to ‘Jim Harbaugh is God’ and ‘Jim Harbaugh is the 2nd best coach in Niner history’ to Jim Harbaugh is my daddy’.

Bullit is still misrepresenting everyone and everything if they disagree with him. His logi leaps defy gravity and the normal thought process.

RTF can keep posting here. He’s been a solid contributor over the years. No problem there. NoFear as well. They choose to play it safe in Skeeberland. That’s fine as well.

Phil? He went off the rails last year when he started posting under a slightly different name and flamed everyone here. I blocked what I thought was the fake name and it turned out to be his real one as well. Odd to say the least.

V and Spitty? Fuck ’em both. Too little bang for the buck.

• rtfirefly says:

I try (and sometimes fail) to not be influenced by the mob mentality seen there and here as well at times. It too shall pass.

• 12th Man says:

Phil went batshit. Other than his annoying use of silly names like Hendrix ad nauseum I kinda liked the guy. Then he goes off on some weird tangent agreeing with all of the Spittoons bullshit and slamming anyone who had a differing opinion. Whatever.

49. Berger says:

There is an OT available for the supplemental NFL draft o July 9th. His name is Isaiah Battle from Clemson. The PFT article says he could help a team this year. I guess I’ll need to read up on him. NJ, what do you have on this guy?

50. Berger says:

This is getting funny! Here is what Bullit now writes:

“Berger claims I am misrepresenting his statement.
    I replaced his word possibly with if.
    Who wants to blog with someone who writes one thing and then starts spinning what he wrote?”

Changing the word ‘possibly’ to ‘if’ completely changes the meaning from an outside chance to a prediction. Can a man really be this stupid? I guess so, we are seeing it in action. LMAO!

This is what I get for reading two days worth of posts over there for the first time in a month or two. I’ve just killed a bunch of brain cells.

• 12th Man says:

Bullit has made a living deliberately obfuscating others posts. Nothing new there Berger.

Mob mentality? Have I written 500 consecutive threads bashing Harbaugh? No. The subject comes up a lot because some folks can’t get over the fact he wore out his welcome here. No one knows the details but certainly the fact Harbaugh did go 8-8 played into it. Plus the fact he pissed off everyone above him in the organization.

Regardless of how you feel about him, one has to acknowledge that Harbs played a big role on his leaving.

But it is ancient history now. What so we get? Guys hoping the team fails for a high draft pick. Constant belittlemwnt of the current coaching staff.

I’d they do suck, have at it. I xos give a rats ass. But they have put together a very strong defensive coaching staff in my mind.

As I’ve said since these O guys got hired, I have no idea how they will do. But they are at least noting the problems with the last offense. Getting in synch. Getting plays off much quicker. Screen passes. Timing plays.

Will it work? Who knows? But to bitch for 7 months about evil Jed and blah blah blah is pathetic. Skeebs has made it a breeding ground for the constant whine about Haebaugh. Bullit was nicknamed company man for a reason. Now he’s king whiner?

• rtfirefly says:

Now this site spends 90% of its time discussing another site. You don’t see the mob mentality here?

• Berger says:

RT- I don’t talk about that site. Since Bullit absolutely lied about one of my posts I replied. I usually don’t even read that site because I know what is being talked about, anti 49er, pro Harbaugh talk.

52. 12th Man says:

RT, strikes me as a little extreme hoping for the first pick in the draft to get above mediocrity.
    How about we see how this season pans out before we cheer on the crucifixion?
    Another issue would be is that a first round pick means very little to the following seasons results for a team lousy enough to earn the privilege.

I know you don’t agree, but I see no reason this team can’t do better than last years heavily injured and massively dysfunctional one. If nothing else, whether one approves of the way Harbaugh left or whether Tomsula is seen as a viable alternative, at least there is harmony and everyone pulling in the same direction, the dysfunction has ended.

Lots of talent on this team both players and coaches. I’m encouraged by what we have heard and seen from so far regarding tempo, scheme and skill sets of the new receivers. The DB’s lack star names but have quality players by all accounts. Granted the Oline is in flux but TC has yet to begin and I don’t think the Oline could be much worse than last years.

I honestly don’t see the reason to despair before even TC/pre-season has begun. I have noticed the press in general, who en masse proclaimed the end of the Niners as we know them, are coming around to a less skeptical position as more is seen and understood.

53. Berger says:

And yes, I stand by my opinion that if Harbaugh was still the coach we would be sub .500 this year. Possibly even a top 3 pick. I absolutely have no doubt about the sub .500. He was heading so far into dysfunction with his divide and conquer approach that a mutiny was about to happen. It’s a good thing Jed saw it and reacted before it got out of hand.

What’s the topic then RTF? How about my thread? How do you think the defense looks?

We have a very deep coaching staff on the d side of the ball. Bowman is coming back strong. Brock, Reid and Ward aRe healthy. AA could be a beast, and the line depth looks pretty solid with Dockett here and Dorsey healthy. A Smith and A Brooks have a lot to prove, and play for.

What say you about the defense?

Chuck the upside for me this year is the youth movement in the Secondary.
      Mangini is a gambler on D.
      With a youth movement taking place, he’s got them on the ground floor of development.

I think Tartt is in the same sort of conversation with Chancellor in Seattle.
      Big Safety/Small LB sort of flexibility.

For all the upheaval we’ve endured, it’s a new beginning on D now.
      Growing pains are to be expected.
      Again, I’ll reserve judgement until I see some football being played under the new regime.

Looking forward to seeing Eli Harold and Tarrt in particular.
      They’re pups with plenty of potential. Up to them to deliver.

• rtfirefly says:

I think the defense is going to get torched against good teams. I don’t trust either or ability to stop the run or the pass. The loss of Willis. Smith, Borland, question mark in Bowman, old question mark in Dockett, no corners does not fill me with confidence.

I have more hope for the offense. We won’t be able to run as effectively without Iaputi and Davis, but we should have better pass blocking. Plus, I expect Kappy to have more free rein running, if he can stay healthy. I like Hyde, but will he get any help from the line?

Given question marks vs. established Pro Bowlers, I know who I’m going to choose. We’re the team with the question marks everywhere.

No doubt the Offense has to step it up RT.
        As stated, it’s damn near impossible to predict anything with all the unknowns surrounding our team thus far.
        Plenty of big shoes to fill.
        That’s why this game is so unpredictable.
        Things change, new players, new schemes etc.
        On Offense, I’d just like to see better timing between Kaep and the receivers.
        By all accounts, they’re attempting to step up the tempo at least.

Berger I’d heard some rumblings on Isaiah Battle via the NYG.
    He’s a Brooklyn kid so, he’s apparently somewhat familiar in these parts.

Word has it he’s in the Supp Draft due to off field issues as well as weed possession.
    I’d pass.

I’m pretty impressed thus far with Trenton Browns’ early reports.
    If we can get him in shape and playing in the 330Lb range, I think he’ll have the potential to make an impact at RT.
    Boone this year, Brown next?
    See what develops.

Here’s an Optimists/Pessimists view of things from BR –

Interesting read on weed as well….

Willis and smith barely played last year. Borland? Well we’ll have to wait and see if his loss is dramatic. I don’t think so.
    Like u don’t think losing Gore is going to be that painful. Hyde, Hunter, and Bush should do fine in his place.

59. Berger says:

Boreland was great against the run and horrible against the pass. I didn’t see him as an every down player. Definitely didn’t see him starting over Bowman or Wilhoite.

60. Berger says:

Willis is a huge loss but had a lot of injuries lately. Justin Smith was somebody we all knew was going to retire very soon. It is what it is. Football goes on.

• 12th Man says:

Right, Willis IS a huge loss, but not compared to his last season for the Niners. Can’t make an impact from the sidelines.

Comparing those that actually played and/or were effective last season, beyond name recognition, this team is at least as good. Coaching hopefully pans out and they are back in contention.

Yup. That’s been my take. Before all the hyperventilation around the dismantling of the team, we were at 25/1 odds winning the Super Bowl.

40/1? Just means a bigger payoff.

The O-line is really my only concern right now. Have to wait and see about the CB’s

• Berger says:

The O-line played terrible last year. It was probably our biggest problem. I think it was more from bad play calling than player execution. Look at the bright side. The O-line can’t be much worse this year and with some decent play calling will be much better.

• 12th Man says:

O-line is my worry too Winder, no line = no offense, but like I said earlier, last years line sucked so lets see how things play out.

Lets hope for good health to key players. You can’t coach hurt players. Say your prayers and keep your fingers crossed. And stay away from the negative vibes of the Depression Blog!

Yeah spitty touting Iupati as a pass blocker is pretty funny.

One of Baalke’s IR guys O lineman Brandon Thomas was 1at round material before his injury. Hopefully this one works out

• 12th Man says:

For my money Baalke went to the “injured well” too many times, especially when the team was so close to winning the SB. I felt one or two more solid contributors could have put them over the top. But now in this situation, with the injured guys returning and the guys who played sparingly last year, Tank, Dial etc set to get into the starting rotation it should pay off.
      Brandon Thomas got good reviews so far and like you said, was a first round talent.

Sir Spit is trying to make any sense of the 21st Century………..of course he’s still in 12th Century. So he and Winder are passing ships in the the breeze. Neither can understand the other …..and no wonder.

Yeah, 12th. I think Lattimore cured him.

Well, it looks like we can add yet another 9er/SCPD related story to the Harbaugh Era.

No BJ for CJ…..

Man, these guys got to get their shit together and stop fucking around.

Shit is rampant in the NFL.

With all the sh!t that went down when LT was playing for the NYG Chuck, I’m convinced that the League knows all too well that these guys aren’t choir boys.
      It’s all about the Golden Eggs they lay.
      For every guy that gets exposed, there’s probably another dozen that get protected from scrutiny.

LT was a game changer that basically was out of control.
      Parcells and Belichick knew it too.
      He partied like a Rock Star, had others taking his drug tests, you name it.
      The NYG did everything in their power to keep him away from trouble, so long as he got suited up on Sundays.

It’s all about the Benjamin’s in this game.

The piece I posted last night about weed pretty much sums it up.
        Many of the players avoid the narcotic addiction risks that plagued the earlier generation players, because the smart ones, know how to ‘play’ the weed testing schedule.

If weed is proven to have positive value for concussions, it should get VERY interesting to see how the NFL deals with it then.
        Rx narcotics are money makers for the League sponsors.
        No one is profiting from the street drugs in the NFL, except the players perhaps, in terms of health.
        So, if the CBA is constructed in such a way, as to allow the players to know what’s coming, the League can then deal with the dumb ones that don’t play it properly.
        Catch the dummies, play ignorant to the rest?

Ricky Williams should be the poster child for the weed era player in the NFL.
        Didn’t seem to affect his talent as a RB.
        He just over-indulged and, bounced himself out of the League.
        Guess we’ll never know just how long he could have gone if he kept it under control.

69. Hey, Berger. Fuck you! I’m not dead. Not yet anyway. But all my friends and neighbors can’t say the same goddamn thing. My upstairs neighbor, Nicole, her younger sister, Amber, just passed away the other week.

Amber was just 34 years old. 34 fucking years old. I just walked by her what seemed like yesterday on my way up to the liquor store and saw her smile as we exchanged pleasantries.

One seizure later, and 34-year-old Amber is no longer with us.

I’m in no mood to BS about sports. Hence I haven’t been picking up the goddamn telephone.

All of Amber’s devout Mormon friends and family continue to pray to “God.”

All I can say is Jesus H. Fucking Christ.

Condolences for Amber Del.
      That truly isn’t fair, no matter how you slice it.

• Berger says:

Glad to know you’re not dead. The liquor store is glad you’re not dead. Here’s one for you Del, Go 49ers! That should explode what’s left of your head!

Sorry to hear about your friend, Amber.

Here’s a great little venue to check out – 9er Man Caves….

Sorry to hear about your friend, Dennis.

A little perspective can be good for the body and mind.

That being said, you got your wish. Harbaugh’s gone. You should be thrilled.

A new day. A new outlook.

Jesus Christ. Got to love NoFear’s stance on pot. In that he says no one smokes pot to alleviate the pain of playing professional sports (or even the aftereffects of battle), even though there are hundreds of cases of players saying pot helps alleviate the chronic (get it?) pain associated with the game.

Oxycodone is fine, but the ‘unknown side effects of pot’ are not to be trusted.

How many people OD, accidental or otherwise, from opiates? 20,000 – 40,000 a year? How many OD on pot? Zero.

And in that vein (heh heh), here’s something I cobbled from Winder . . .

Great stuff from Barry McGuire. Haven’t heard this album since 1974. My older sister used to play this. When they all took off I inherited some awesome albums.

• Winder says:

How funny, I just posted this on skeebs blog. i kinda figured I put it on this one before. I still love this song to bad the sound quality isn’t so good.

Chuck, I don’t normally like to diss people on blogs where I know they won’t respond, but NF and I have been arguing politics for so long and since you’re not there and he’s not here and I don’t feel like spending the day over there arguing with him on the subject:
    1) I never thought I would see NF arguing for big government, big spending nanny statism. But that seems to be the conservative philosophy. We don’t believe in any of that stuff until it comes to others’ individual freedoms. Then we require it.
    2) More conservative philosophy: We’re the only ones who believe in taking care of veterans – until they’re out of uniform, then screw ’em. So what if trained medical people diagnose them and recommend a certain medicine to help them. Big government and big corporations don’t get their cut that way. It conflicts with #1.

• Berger says:

RT- If you are talking about pot, I’m a conservative and I’m all for legalizing it. I still wouldn’t smoke it if it were legal but I’m for legalizing it. Many of my conservative friends are for legalizing it too. I’m not sure what you are trying to say but it sounds like you are railroading conservatives to only one way of thinking. Typical.

NF is free to post here. If anything, Skeebs banning me there got V to shut up about me banning him here. You’re welcome.

Yeah, the republicans are all about less government intrusion. Except for religious rights, reproductive rights, marriage rights, drug policies, and public school policies. Corporations deserve all the free money they can avoid in taxes, while vets, the poor, and expecially the middle class are taxed to death. What jobs are the republican creating? They’ve had the house and senate, and that was goal 1. They’ve done nothing for the people but continue to bend over for the corporations.

And before you blow a gasket Bergs, the Dems are just as culpable. They just aren’t as above-board about continuously fucking the people over. as the republikans are The Senate killing the 1st responder bill is a ginormous case in point. They’ve done it time and again over the years.

RTF, I’m not of a mind to respond to shit posted there, but since I can’t post there, I can only point shit out here. I could go on all day about Bullit’s misrepresenting everything he says that I say, but Skeebs banned me, he gets away with it even more.

Skeebs lets him do that shit without recourse now. Them and their tolerance of viewpoints. As long as they line up in lockstep (goose-step?) with the Jed must die anthem.

Yeah, its a great song, Winder . . .

Don’t concern yourselves with mis-quoting, mis-interpreting, mis-stating and mis-characterizing my post. That seems to be a favorite of liberals.

You do of course realize that The Veterans Equal Access Act was bi-partisan from authorship to support of co-sponsors.

And you do of course realize that since the ‘veterans dying on waiting lists’ scandal the VA is seeing ZERO more patients who need medical attention. Good fix there ZERO. Speech of lies, sweep it under the rug and stonewall as per usual.

Just what the VA system needs now is tens of thousands more swamping it with paid-for marijuana.

How about they spend some money and medical professional’s time on treating and fixing the problems from service instead of just creating the most over-medicated population of patients ever, which is what they do best.

I know you must think the PTSD created by having responsibility to plan drone missions is worthy of a lifetime ticket to free pot for a lifelong stoner before service but I disagree.

Please don’t try to tell me the intoxication isn’t the attraction. The biggest problem I have with the legalization is the increased availability to kids. Their health, lungs and brains, will suffer for it and when/where legal they will be assured by its implication that it’s harmless.

Personally I lean toward the decriminalizing of it. I don’t want to jail potheads. Adults can smoke whatever the hell they want as long as it doesn’t affect me. That doesn’t mean I think it’s “cool”.

Maybe quit trying to pigeonhole everything. It’s not always about politics.

So tens of thousands of veterans will suddenly appear to get MJ approved for PTSD when in fact they just want free weed to get high. So much for pigeonholing everything.

Here’s a short advocacy blurb. Note that the recent 80% in PTSD claims is NOT because of weed, since the VA will not approve it:

—————————
    Who is advocating legalizing MJ for kids? How has increased availability decreased the use of MJ in minors in Portugal and Colorado? Personally I don’t believe the published statistics for MJ, though I do for Portugal, which has a much longer timeframe as the base. Nevertheless, I don’t think it will result in an increase in the long term, and even if it did, if MJ was replacing alcohol use in kids, that would be a terrific thing. My architect, high school department head, and computer friends (many) and I who smoked pot as kids seemed to turn out all right. The alkies didn’t fare so well.

BTW, THC (the part that gets you high) IS the part of MJ that medical studies have shown to be apparently effective for treating PTSD. So much for the no-fun big government, big spending nanny staters.

*statistics for minors in CO – typo in first post

CO minor use has DECREASED, according to government published statistics. That is the stat I don’t believe.

Trump for dog catcher! Oh I forgot they call them animal control officers now. Trump would scare the hell out of the pooches.

The VA has been a cluster duck nightmare sine the Revolutionary War.

Yeah, the problems started 7 years ago. As per usual with the rose-colored revisionists, the country was in perfect shape til The Muslim took over.

Millions of jobs and and a thriving economy later, we’re heading for hell. Damn those gays!!!

84. Berger says:

The reason I would legalize MJ is no one is not doing it now because it is illegal. What a farce. We are just giving drug dealers an extra profit maker. Why not make it legal and tax it. Let us tax payers get a little something out of this. I repeat, I do not know anyone who is not smoking pot because it is illegal. Again, what a farce.

85. Berger says:

Unca- The country took a dump when the Dems took over the House and Senate in 2007. Go look it up. Since the GOP took over the House we started improving. Look for us to take off now that the GOP has the Senate too. You can already see the it. The time line from 2007 is right there to see.

Considering all the low-level pot-heads in jail for meaningless shit, and the stupidity of the drug war in general, you’d think someone would learn from throwing trillions away on something that is fairly harmless in the grand scheme of things fucked up in this country. Like I said earlier, hundreds of thousand more have died from the effects of alcohol, and many thousands more die on legal (and illegal) opiates than would ever happen if it was legalized.

How many jobs have the Republicans created? How many jobs bills did they block? 0 to 38. Right, Bergs. The economy turned around when the republicans got the senate. Sure you ain’t toking? Sounds like you are one toke over the line.

Talk about unclear on the concept.

And just for s’s and g’s

The Giants get swept by the freakin Marlins. The Marlins! They’ve already been swept at home by the Diamondbacks. They really, really need the Dodgers to come around to turn around their slump, but they don’t play again till Aug. 31. Perhaps they could bribe the league to change the schedule?

The Giants usually suck on this east coast Marlins/Nats swing. I ain’t thinking this roadie gets much better for them. They get one, I’ll be happy.

Peavy tomorrow? He was getting shelled in AAA. Gulp . . .

All this talk of getting plays off in time. Funny how Alex Smith had thousands of them under Nolan Sing and Harbaugh. Kappy takes over, and viola, delay of game penalties. Smith stopped getting delay of game penalties once he went to KC. Couldn’t be the coaches.

The agenda of hate is really getting ridiculous. Revisionist history strikes again.

Eight DoG penalties in 2014. Two of which were on Andy Lee. Half of the remaining six were in the game against Oakland, in week 14, all on third and longs. And two of the other three were in the game against Philadelphia.

How’s that obviously on coaching? More likely on the idiot you worship telling the world the 49ers suck the week before, thereby destroying what little confidence the coaches managed to instill in the struggling Kaepernick.

Un-revising revisonist history.

The idiot I worship? Satan? I always thought he was a sharp cookie.

How many wasted time outs, Skippy? 40? Can you sit there and tell me this hasn’t been happening? Jesus, you really have to stick to the narrative, don’t you? Wasting timeouts and delay of games have been a problem for 7 years, NoFear. Please deny that. It has preceded the QB, the head coaches, and even the GMs. Ol’ Norv didn’t have a problem with it, IIRC.

Who was the last QB to take this team to the Super Bowl?

The answer isn’t St. Jim the Pious.

just found this one

In conclusion to this thread………BURP!

Berger, go find Big James for some Blues.
    Dude can mix Funk & Blues better than most.

96. Berger says:

NJ- Try this one out. Wild Weekend by Tinsley Ellis!

Belch!