Justin Smith Retires

Not sure why he made this a 4-month decision, but Justin Smith decided to retire at the age of 35. No word from him yet, but a tougher guy on any team would be pretty hard to find. A five-time pro-bowler, all done here with the Niners from 2008 to 2014, he consistently took on double and triple teams to tie up the line and allow the LBs to make plays behind, around, and in front of him. He was also named a 1st team All-Pro DT, and 2nd team DE in the same year, 2011. He was also named All-pro at both positions in 2012. No mean feat there.

He won numerous awards on the Niners, as he came to SF in 2008 as a free agent. In Cincinnati he was a somewhat mis-cast 4-3  DE and some time OLB. In the 49ers 3-4 defense as a DE (he’d switch to DL on passing downs),  his impact was felt across the league. Yet another stalwart from the team who has chosen to retire. I was hoping Arik Amstead would get one year to learn under him, but such is life, and such is the game of football.

Vaya con dios, Cowboy.

jsmith

55 Responses to Justin Smith Retires

I’m sure this is Harbaugh’s fault.

What a great fucking football player and role model, he will surely be missed. Yeah, I really don’t understand why he waited so long, probably was a family decision and sometimes those take awhile.
    No Chuck it’s all Jed’s fault, after all he is the anti-christ.

Yeah retire and keep one’s health. Good idea.

4. Berger says:

It’s official, my favorite three Niners have all gone away this year. Smith, PWilly and Gore. As Bob Seger once sang, turn the page.

Yeah, gonna be hard to replace that locker room presence that’s for sure.

Just got to hope guys still here pick up the shit they laid down.

6. Berger says:

One of the great additions to the Golden State Warriors this year is Alvin Gentry. He is basically the offensive coordinator for the Warriors. He will probably be hired away as a head coach after the year is up. He’ll be hard to replace.

I felt that Harbaugh’s biggest weakness was his offensive play calling, it was historically bad. It is what the Warriors problem was last year. Mark Jackson had talent on offense but didn’t know how to properly use it. I called for Harbaugh’s firing if he didn’t upgrade the play calling. Mark Jackson got fired for not upgrading his asst coaching staff. I believe that is why Harbaugh got fired. Let’s hope the 49ers situation turns out as good as the Warriors did!

7. Berger says:

Arik Armstead will not take as long as Tank to learn the 4 technique. Tank was used all over the D line in college and Armstead was used mostly as a 4 and 5. He even studied the 49er D line to learn his position at Oregon. Armstead is one of the few D linemen I’ve seen in college who plays low. Considering he is 6’7″, that is very impressive. He won’t be able to overpower the pros like he did in college but that will come after a year or two of strength training. The fact he already has good technique and played the 4 in college should allow him to contribute in his rookie year. As he puts on some weight and gets stronger he will have a chance to possibly dominate. Since he has a mean streak I think it will happen.

Skeebs at the Bridge ready for his big jump. His pals, Spit, Bullit, no Fear and Rex somebody are waiting with him. You go first, Skeebs, we’ll follow asserts Sir Spitblood. Skeebs replies yeah sure you pussies. Where’s Unca Chuck? Oh he’s vacationing in the Islands he’s out of town. Damn I wanted to shout one last profanity in his direction before the final act. Well here’s my one finger salute to Jed York. What a dope! You go first Skeebs, afterall this was your idea claims Bullit. You know I’m not your friend so nothing personal. We all detest Chuck and Jed York! Yeah that will unite us for eternity! Splash!

• Berger says:

The Warriors have the Splash Brothers, according to your story the lamenters do to!

When I was a Webelo Scout we did a puppet play. I was a reporter who talked a bunch of people to jump off a bridge with me. When they all jumped I took a picture and got my story. Maybe Skeebs joined the scouts and is redoing the play with all of his puppets?

I should go over there to read how bad it really is for a laugh. Last time I went there was a few weeks ago and I needed a band aid for my brain to ease the pain of all the negativity. This time I’ll look at it with levity so reading the cancerous writing doesn’t hurt my head.

I like Smith’s metaphor of being “on bald tires”. Wish the guy well, and good health…

Berger, it is a little strange over there, but at times it’s pretty comical too. A few Nostradumasses there who take an idea all the way to the bank. If it is written it must be so.

I understand the angst many have over the fallout with Harbaugh.
    Hard to watch the first successful HC in almost 10 years sent packing.

Whether it’s the right, or wrong decision, it’s on Jed.
    I just don’t want him to get too impetuous, as Uncle Eddie was known to be.

Obviously things had gotten to that point of discord.

I put faith in having good personnel and Coaches to get them prepared to play.
    Give me guys that want to win and see where it goes.

Opinions are like A$$holes, we’ve all got one.
    I don’t mind hearing what others think.
    I just want to know that they’re fans and, give a sh!t about us doing well.

I can’t agree with my own Wife and Kids on everything in life.
      Sure as H3LL can’t expect to agree with everyone on the state of 9er football either.

The NFL is always moving. Things change almost daily.
      Gotta take the good with the bad in this racket.

• Winder says:

Exactly NJ things keep changing no one stays under the wire for long. Teams have to be able to adjust. Hopefully, we will be able to do that this year.

Winder-
        Denver had Peyton Manning.
        They haven’t won the Big One either.
        Didn’t help John Fox did it?
        This game ain’t as easy as it looks.

Too many moving parts.
        You can’t change the tires while the car is in the race.
        If every guy on the team isn’t pulling his weight, the smallest imperfections get magnified.

Always evolving.
        Change is inevitable. Timing is never perfect either.
        Changes were made.
        Hope for the best, keep the faith.

As they say, you don’t fire the players.
        Coaches take the heat.
        Good or bad.

12. 12th Man says:

Its the never ending repetitive negative drivel combined with the almost complete lack of logical thought that wore me out at Skeebs. Emotional knee-jerk statements vaguely draped in the guise of reason.
    I haven’t read anything on Skeebs blog for months and months. I will wait until the season starts and some results happen to see if the wailing subsides.
    Bullit has always been the ultimate company man, almost always cheerleading whatever move the org makes.
    Must be interesting over there with that in mind. Misery makes strange bedfellows!

My favorite of Justin smith

• Winder says:

He was an old school beast, what an honor to have had him on the team. He was a 49er through and through.

Yeah and he avoided the weepy press conference so many foolish men make. I’m sure tired of grown men crying in front of the media.

14. rob says:

Thank you Justin for all your hard work. Thank your out for being a niner

Not sure who was posting recently about the possibility that Jim may have gifted the SB to his Brother John?
    Winder was that you?

Either way, I dug up an article I’d read last year related to that suggestion.

In it, there’s an interesting opinion, from the writer, Seth Wickersham, as to whether Jim couldn’t ‘hate’ his opponent in that game.

Good read…..

• Jim Harbaugh makes me sick to my goddamn fucking stomach. Harbaugh couldn’t “hate” his brother in the Super Bowl? The biggest coaching day of his life, and Jimbo takes a backseat to his brother, John. Because he couldn’t hate him?

Well la-de fucking da you worthless cock-sucking motherless piece of shit. I have enough hate inside of me for the two of us to last us both a lifetime. The very thought of your name makes me want to punch myself in the goddamn throat.

I don’t hate you, Jim Harbaugh. I despise you. I fucking loathe you with every fiber of my being. You ruined my life. You, and your protégé, Colin Kaepernick, stunk up the fucking joint on the biggest day, on the biggest stage, when it all mattered the most. You fucking choked.

The San Francisco Forty Niners do not lose Super Bowls. Well, at least we didn’t until you two sorry sacks of shit came along. You two sullied our name and reputation. Bastardized the entire organization.

I give up. Have a nice day. I gotta go feed Frank.

• Winder says:

Yeah NJ it was me. But I did that as an example of a conspiracy theory and how silly they are unless you have some actual proof.

16. You know what’s funny? I just thought of this. After Jim Harbaugh and Colin Kaepernick lost to Joe fucking Flacco in the goddamn Super Bowl. That caused me to go into my funk. I found myself walking aimlessly down at the park in a complete fog trying to erase the Super Bowl debacle.

That’s when I first started to feed my ducks. So I guess in a strange roundabout way I have them to thank for my new found love affair with my feathered friends.

No. fuck that. I’m not thanking them for Jack Shit.
    I hope they both die of slow eye cancer.

17. Berger says:

Del- Football is entertainment, not life and death. For your own health you need to change your attitude. Your ducks need you alive!

18. rob says:

Omg DELMARDENNIS is upset ! He’s really mad about our team’s recent failures to win another Superbowl.

Oh no not dennis

Gee what can we possibly do now!

No really I mean if even DENNIS is upset this really must be the end

Hey dennis – I hope we do the FF again this year. And, i will try my best to draft both Kappy and Armstead. Championship!

Something is going right in the world…….Giants swept the Dodges with another shut-out. Damn even Skeebs can’t put a damper on that.

Woo hoo! The island is rockin’!!!!!

22. Berger says:

I like what I’m hearing out of OTAs regarding the tempo of the offense. Harbaugh was like a hemorrhoid clogging the sphincter when it came to tempo and rhythm for the offense. I read Jimmy T is yelling “tempo” and “get up to the line” and “snap the ball” over and over at practice. The ‘H’ in Preperation H did not stand for Harbaugh when it came to the offense because it was always constipated. Looks like Tomsula is getting our offense to finally shit or get off the pot!

Any early indications yet, on who’s favored as, ‘The H-Back’ Berger 😀

It’s a pretty ‘Loaded’ position right now.
      Quite the ‘Log Jam’ I’d say?

And…with the loss of Iupati, can they find someone to ‘Push’ through well enough to ‘Unclog’ those ‘Running Lanes’?

A real ‘Head’ scratcher……

Good thing ‘Tank’ is healthy too.
        Can’t wait to get a whiff of our new ‘Smelter’ too.
        Really big hands they say.
        He could probably handle his ‘Business’ with one hand perhaps?

Good news though, we have a ‘Bell-Dozer’ that just might get us into the ‘End’ Zone more ‘Regularly’ this year too 😀

‘Sh!t’ if I know…..

Some good ‘ink’ on the Son of ‘Flipper’ too…
    Could he ‘Stick’ as an UDFA?
    Seems like he had aspirations of going in the Top 3 RDs of the Draft until a knee injury knocked his value down.

Yeah, per an article somewhere about the differences in practice under St. Jim and Guido, the first play they ran was a screen pass.

Be still my heart. They are stressing up-tempo West Coast Offense plays.

25. rob says:

Happy memorial day to the niner faithful and all

26. rob says:

I’m liking the changes tomsula is making too. The bummer is that Justin smith’s retirement is making my 10-6 prediction look pretty shakey

27. 12th Man says:

Ray McDonald released by the Bears after yet another domestic abuse arrest, this one involving a woman holding a baby. Due process my ass.

Sir Spit is left standing at the Bridge. Everyone has jumped except him, his nerve failed him ……again. Just couldn’t do it. Anyway he will continue on against Chuck on the pessimism blog where good news is never apparent never known or welcome!

ROB!! Smith has been a shadow of himself these last couple years. He’s not as big a concern as I’d think. RayMac is an idiot.

New thread is up.