Battle of the Bays

No, not a family reunion, but the next game on the quest for the 49ers to reach the playoffs. Tampa Bay may be 4-9, but ever since their near (dammit) victory over the dreaded and recently vanquished Seahawks, Tampa is on a bit of a roll. They are 4-1 since that game, with their lone loss coming at the hands of the Carolina Panthers. Gone is Josh Freeman and new quarterback Mike Glennon has quietly led TB to a certain amount of respectability in recent games.

Tampa made the switch to Glennon after Freeman led the leam to an 0-3 record. Glennon has gone 4-6 in his stead, but as you know, he’s 4-1 in the last 5, and almost engineered a shocking upset of Seattle in their house. No mean feat. Tampa may be full of holes on offense and defense, but they do have an elite cover CB in ex-Jet Island Darelle Revis, a stud DT in Gerald McCoy, and their pass-rushing OLB Lavontae David, an emerging leader on the team. He of the 6 sacks and team-leading 81 tackles. And of course the oft-fined FS Dashon Goldson. He of the one pick, and a one-game suspension. This of course is among the 3 penalties and one more near-suspension he’s incurred for head hunting.

All in all it should be a fun day at the beach. Hopefully Jim Harbaugh will re-introduce the team to one Frederick P. Softie on the plane ride to sunny Florida. You know, the guy who likes to show up when the boys get a little full of themselves. This seemed to happen every 3 weeks last year, but we’ll see what happens going forward. No road game is easy. Well, Tennessee and St. Louie were cakewalks, but Tampa is playing pretty well. They managed to beat Detroit despite losing the yardage battle 229 to 390. Maybe the 4 Stafford picks had something to do with that. Kappy had better be careful.

For the Niners, I sure would like to see Frank Gore get a rest. I know he’s 69 yards shy of 1,000 yards for the year, and 230 yards shy of 10,000 yards for his career, so there’s impetus to get him some touches. I mean, Seattle put up 198 on them, Atl 163, and Carolina put up 152, so the opportunity is there to get him some chunks. Get the passing game rolling. just stay away from Revis. Burn Goldson with some double moves. He ALWAYS bites on those.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

67 Responses to Battle of the Bays

Revis is the type of player I’ve wanted the Niners to have for a long, long time. Of course the Niners play a variety of zones and The Island is strictly a mano a mano guy, but unless Roman is coaching the D, too, The Niners could adjust to accomodate him (or a youngster like him).

This is another of those infamous ‘Trap Games’ Chuck.
    Big emotional win vs Seattle and you need to be weary of the let down.
    Especially with a cross Country trip and an early start.

Just hope the MRSA sh!t has been cleared out.
    I’m also gonna be a VERY BIG NYG Fan on Sunday 🙂

Ha ha. Yeah, Revis is proving to be back to what he was before the injury. Quite a risk when he was available though. A hard trigger to pull, and he’d certainly be better than Rogers, but at a pretty high cost.

As far as the MRSA goes, didn’t they napalm the place a couple months ago?

Apparently they did Chuck but, when infectious disease control personnel get involved, that’s some seriously concerning stuff.

This happened back in Oct so you’d think it’s been dealt with.
      The question for me, did it get eliminated or just kept under the radar for the ‘integrity of the game’?

That sh!t ain’t no joke.

5. Random9erfan says:

Yep, the proverbial trap/letdown game, especially after a very physical contest. One of the unsung guys from that game is Staley, gutted up and played a solid outing. Have not heard if Iupati will be back for this game.

12th,
    Agree with your response on the previous blog post. Hopefully, the local media move on from this topic.
    Speaking of the media, interesting how during the first half of the season, the national outlets could not get enough of Greg Schiano, the bad guy. Now, not a peep. Onto the next dumpster fire.

Random9erfan I’m very familiar with Schiano.
      He coached here at Rutgers for some time.

He’s a pompous, mostly arrogant individual. Iron fist-type.
      He did give the Rutgers Football program a major shot in the arm because of his ties from the Miami program before it tanked.
      Once he built the foundation via solid recruiting, he thought he was bigger than the University.
      Good College Coach until the Conference caught up to him.

Jury is stil out on him as a Pro Coach IMO.
      I don’t like his tactics, such as blitzing a Victory Formation for example, or the mysterious media leaks regarding Josh Freemans’ medical tests.
      He’ll do whatever he can to get an advantage, even if it’s not an accepted practice.
      I’d put him somewhere in the vicinity of Jim Schwarz, without the Pro Coordinator resume.

Can’t take away his competitive nature but, he certainly doesn’t win many admirers with his tactics.

As with any bully, just knock his d!ck in the dirt before he has a chance to play dirty.

• Random9erfan says:

NJ49er,
        I am no fan of Greg Schiano, or his game tactics. But, as you probably know, he is pals with Belichick so, I figure he is at least semi-competent. As you point out, too early to tell if he will cut it in the NFL.

My earlier comment re Schiano was an example of the media’s tendency to look for controversies and milk it for what it’s worth, Now also with Kapernick’s personality.

I hear ya Random9erfan, Belichick and Schiano are definitely connected.
        That’s what got Schiano hired in TB.
        Schiano isn’t an easy guy to deal with to be sure.

We all know what the media is about. That’ll never change.

Well, I may have said it in the thread, but I hope they give Gore some rest. I’d really like to see us continuew to stretch the field and get all the WRs involved. Manningham with some slants, Crabs on some stop and go’s, and VD on some deep seams. NAd since we seemed to have forgotten another pass, deep crossing routes. Stay away from Revis, and burn Goldson with double moves, and go over the top.

This is another lousy team that we need to get on top of early and put out of their misery. Otherwise last week is all for naught. Bergs is right on Skeebs tread. They need to shitcan the 22 offense. Spread the formations (which they HAVE been doing more of). Do it more and more. Ditch the 2 back 2 TE deal forever. they can run EASIER out of 3-4 WR formations.

• Random9erfan says:

Chuck,
      Yes you did re Gore, and I concur that the Bucs are a team that the Niners should get up on top early and put them away.
      In the Bucs beatdown at the hands of the Panthers, Carolina ran for 163 yards (4.8 yards/rush), passed for 9.1yards/attempt,ending up with a average gain of 6.8 yards/play.
      A very winnable game for the Niners, if they can avoid turnovers, which is how the Bucs beat the Lions and Bills.

We also need to be aware that Schiano doesn’t play by the book.
    He’ll gamble and look for any gimmick he can throw out there.
    Our pass rush should negate much of their pass game efforts however.

He’s got a very respectable ground attack however.
    Still, travel game, early start, rain/humidity factor. Can’t relax.
    Playoff push time.

So what do they do with Revis? Left half with a safety high or do they man him up on Crabs/Boldin? They’ve got a pretty good o-line and a kid that has been pretty good in Rainey. Also the old Rams’ journeyman Leonard.

Goldson will school on the tendencies of CK7 and Crabs, Davis and Gore. I hope we use that against them. Would be a good time for some new plays that go against the grain. That off side run worked pretty well last week. Don’t tell me Goldson wouldn’t over pursue that worse than Thomas.

This game is most definitely the time for a few wrinkles.
    Just hope the weather doesn’t interfere too much. Rain, footing, fumbles etc.

To your point NoFear49er, suck’m in and go outside or over the top.

Let’s see whether Roman tinkers with it some. Need to work on some new options.

I’m sure Anthony Davis would love nothing more than to stick it to Schiano too.
    Not the best of friends since their days together at Rutgers.

Yeah, of course the weather report is for thundershowers, but at this point they don’t really know bupkis. New wrinkles always sounds good, but I’ve yet to see these guys really break loose with some wild stuff. Still and all, win it up front, and the rest will follow.

As y’all said, turnovers are key. Frank should feel at home at least.

Well, based on what we saw early and often in the playoffs, I’d double-move Goldson til his cleats fall off. He gave up a couple quick scores vs Atl and Balt. And GB IIRC. Play action to pull him up and go over the top. If Revis is in man (which is more than likely – with Boldin), then send VD across the deep seam away from Revis. Send Crabs across the middle from the other side to draw in the other safety.

Gore looked really beat up after that long, last run against the SHawks. I agree that they should throttle back on using him. I hope Lattimore is not a false hope for next season, cuz we’re going to need him, or somebody else…

Think they take another RB in the draft Snarkk?

• snarkk says:

I dunno. I would take one in the 4th round or later, maybe 3rd if they really like one. I’m not convinced Hunter can shoulder a big load and take over. And, Lattimore, who knows?…

My thinking is a 3rd rounder Snarkk. I don’t think Hunter is all the way back, looks to lack the power to push against the pile and maybe it never comes back. Lattimore got a little looksee for 3 weeks of practice but I doubt it was enough to be sure he will pan out.

Frank is on the wind down phase and is a hit away from calling it a career since any lengthy rehab puts him out to pasture. LMJ is MIA as a RB and will stay that way in this scheme.

Boobie should be gone but I’ve said that before. They do still Jewel Hampton on PS, the guy I figured would push Boobie off the 53 this year and didn’t, so it all adds up to another RB as insurance I reckon.

Yeah, I wasn’t too surprised to see them shut down Lattimore. Patton on the other hand should be out there. As should Baldwin. We are going to need these guys for the playoffs should any one of our finally healthy WRs get hurt again.

I don’t want to be back in thew situation where we hit the playoffs with nothing at WR.

Why do you think Baldwin Chuck? I haven’t seen him do anything much and his effort looks below par to me.

I agree with Patton, would like to see him running about a bit.
      Interesting comment from Joe about his receivers running with him when he scrambled giving him a chance to make a play. Football 101 I would have thought but it is not often i see that from our guys except Boldin who is a bit slow of foot for it.

15. 24-17 Niners w/ a TD each to Boldin, Crab and Vernon. D could hold ’em to 14 and score a TD or get a couple turnovers. Which would blow my prediction but whos complaining?

Your predicting a win, that’s all that counts Phil 🙂

• Yeah a win is a win is a win. Seehacks may bitch that ‘it means nothing’, ‘glorified practice’ etc but winning 19-17 is great and its a great loss for them whether they own it or not. If we lose in TB it will be turnovers and nothing else Im thinking

16. philippinefan says:

Kap is being promoted as a polarizing figure by no other than 2 of the most polarizing figures in the local media: the Cohn heads. Talking about the headphone commercial supposed to slam Seattle fans (Dre). And ‘what a dull interview he is’ repeated ad nauseum. Harbaugh sez: “Hes not here to entertain you; hes not Jay Leno”. Just win, all this bitching goes away. LoCo (love it) (and junior) have been at this schtick for a long time and it wears thin.

12th asked “What changed with Kap?” Somebody mentioned teh Miami cap incident and his attitude with the fan reaction which was admittedly poor. I also think part of it is hes got a chip on his shoulder from not winning SB.

I’m not swayed by the Cohn Brothers (couldn’t resist). My opinion about Kap’s interviews and post games are from watching him myself. It gets on my tits quite frankly and is nothing like the kid was in the beginning. Not winning the SB or the media being mean to him or whatever is no excuse for his demeanor.

He is the face of the franchise and owes the fans something better than that IMO. He is shortchanging the paying public when he barely makes any effort and is an ass in front of the mike. The reporters are merely the conduit to us schmucks that pay him and his boys the millions. Another thing is there will come a day, as there always does, when he will need some slack from the media and the fans and he is using up the goodwill in a stupid way.

One more point is he again shows his disdain for the fans as he did with the hat thing. Not smart and shitty PR at the least.

Is it a big deal? Not really, just irksome.

I like the kid as a QB, very talented but LoCo is right that Kap needs to grow up.

OK Chuck, have at it 🙂

• snarkk says:

I’m pretty much with you on the media thing and Kap, 12th. Same with Harbs. They don’t need to be quoting Shakespeare, just cooperate a little with the media. Because the media is essentially US, the fans. Dissing the media is dissing the fans. I heard Russell Wilson answering questions, he gave good answers beyond yes and no and maybe, expounded a bit, gave some cliches, it was fine. Kap could do that. He’s young, I assume Harbs has instilled the antagonistic approach. I don’t get it. Harbaugh is smart enough to say alot without saying anything, smile through it, and everybody’s happy. Bill Walsh played the media like a violin. There must be a happy middle. Yet, Harbs won’t try to find it…

Feels like Harbs is using that “loose lips sink ships” axiom, as though a careless word could lose them some imagined competitive edge. Way overboard, get a grip Harbs for goodness sake.

As for Kap his statement that he only signed a contract to play football is puerile.

I like Fangio’s approach. Straight answers and opinion where he can. As informative as the fans expect he can be without really losing any edge. Satisfying.

Yeah, I get it, 12th (and Snarkk), but the media isn’t the fans, and with all the instant access to things good and bad, I’m not too surprised to the tepid state of things with Kappy. I mean really. If you went by social media (which IS the fans), people wanted Alex Smith back. Fricking Bullit was talking about getting Colt out there. Seriously. As much as we can look back at previous situations, its a completely different world now. Walsh hated the media as much as any other guy, but he was better at hiding it, and couching it in snide bullshit. Kappy says he keeps all the nasty twitter comments as motivation, and that’s dumb, because he’ll never stop getting it, so not sure how that can be healthy. He’d be better off ignoring it all and just acting normal. But he WAS burned by all the comments about his tats, his estranged mom, the hat thing, and numerous other little things.

Harbaugh has always been like this, so I’m not expecting him to change his stripes. That he seems to have infected his young charge is a little disturbing? Well, it’s pretty silly, at least.

You were doing well until you cited Bullit’s opinion on anything 🙂

The media goes with the territory right? He wants to be the starting QB of the San Francisco Forty Niners with all that QB history and all that entails. 32 guys each week have to put on a show for their franchise and the edification of the fans. Our guy is shit at it. I hope he figures it out for his own sake.

Moving on. Tampa are playing pretty good ball but they are crap at stopping the run. Is there anything more to say?

HEY ROB!!!!!!!!!!! Niners play in your neck of the woods THIS week!?!?!?!

Whats up with that??????

Oh and COX is playing with DICK Sherman again, think he will GO BLIND :-):-):-):-):-)?????

Question of the week Chuck….

Will ROB still love COX now he’s playing with DICK?

On Bill Walsh and the media:

He devoted an entire chapter to it in _Finding the Winning Edge_. He said something very similar to what 12th man just posted on dealing with the media as far as getting them on your side so you can tell your side and have them hear it when things aren’t so easy.

Although hostile and adversarial it is critical to deal with the media in a responsible and professional manner.

“The key point to remember is to never mislead, fabricate or be coy with the media.” -Bill Walsh.

• philippinefan says:

Personal negative reactions to CK aside (I have none) its Not to your/his favor to have Cohn and others starting the chant ‘Whats up with Kap’. This IS being picked up by media + fans more widely as the perfect reason to diss the Niners. So as usual Walsh was right. With JH as coach Kap is not getting a good role model in this area.

21. This is for educational purposes, mainly for me, to dissect the great play G Ro called and our guys executed that led to the winning points- 51 yd F Gore gash from our 30 to about the 20 of da Seehacks. Aiming at NF too cause he is aware of a lot of te details and may be able to share some which Ive just seen here finally. Fucking coconut internet:

And:

NF? Anybody?

• NoFear49er says:

Not sure what you’re looking for here, Phil. Seattle was playing a CB outside Vernon and an OLB outside VMac and the other CB was over Crabs(?) split out wide left. With a safety deep there was only seven to stack in the box. Maybe that was what they liked to run that play against. Are you interested in the individual blocks?

• The question I had was ‘Is it a designed play for Franks cutback?’ It worked so well I thought must be. NF said he wasnt sure on first glance. Looks like it was based on this:

“With the tackle blocking down and the playside guard pulling, it looks as if the run is designed to go off the left edge to the outside. Keyed by theses actions Bobby Wagner and Kam Chancellor flow outside allowing McDonald and Bruce Miller to get good blocking angles for the designed cut back run. With the backside sealed off by Boone the only defender left to make a play is Earl Thomas. He too overruns the play allowing Gore to continue cutting back right into the open field. Gore eventually falls downs in bounds for a 51 yard gain that put the 49ers in field goal position.”

Mike Iupati is back at practice with a chance of playing against Tampa. A boost to the run game if he is healthy. Snyder has played surprisingly well but he is no Iupati.

Woof!

Niners need to win out and see what happens to Squawks. Ya never know, blue man group might steal a win and then it’s cat meet pigeons.

Just sayin.

Yup. They haven’t clinched til they have. If the Giants can take them at home, Seattle’ll be in scphincter-tightening mode. Their last 2 games are against AZ and StL. 2 teams that would love nothing more than to blow them out of the water.

The GIANTS beat the Seahawks? New York or San Francisco? Best hope for AZ and the Lambs, as well as the Niners winning out. That’ll work.
    Niners 26 Manatees 10

The Hawks alsmost lost to the St louis, theTits, and Houston. it could happen. It would sure make them uncomfortable, that’s for sure.

Panthers too. If the Blue Man Group did pull off a win then Squawks are suddenly on a 2 game losing streak and facing 2 divisional opponents to close out the season.
        Probable? Nah, just jawin but would love to see it happen.

• rtfirefly says:

It’s possible. It would make the division and a first round bye a real chance. I’m not holding my breath though.

• Random9erfan says:

Even during their Title runs, the NY Mannings were the Forrest Gump of the NFL. With the much anticipated Manning SuperBowl now looking unlikely, and with nothing to apparently play for, they might just be the team to put a scare into Petey’s holding crew.

Been almost 2 years since the Giants were the beneficiary of botched returns, and almost 5 years since a helmet catch by a Giants receiver. I am hoping Petey gets to experience what opposing head coaches felt on two those days.

As an aside, I believe if Squawks and Niners end up with a tie record Niners would win the division tie breaker and be Champs!
    Hey, a guy can dream ya know!

Phil, regarding whether or not the 51 yard running play was designed to cut back, I would guess no, or not necessarily, but green grass ahead is hard to ignore.

A couple of reasons I have for my conclusion; first Vernon tries to cut the DE at the snap, a common method of taking out backside pursuit. Backside, of course indicating playside is the other way. Another thing is when VMac motions across the formation and the SS follows, the defense is seven to four lopsided to the side of the run. Gore can’t help but consider that when he’s finding a path and nigh impossible to predict when calling the play.

I thought it was all gore as he got passed the LOS. He made the choice to cut hard right, still has great vision.

• phil fan says:

Thanks. Before Frank cut right he had a lot of empty green turf up the left (strong?) side with one guy to beat (#29) who was over pursuing that way. Wisely FG went right damn quick and 29 waved at Frank as he blasted by between 29 and R Sherman. 29 (Thomas?) never caught up; it was Dick S who ran Frank down near the Sea 20. I guess Frank saw the lane and 29 over pursuing and made it happen. GRo pulled that one out of his hat at the perfect time and the blocking was great- then Gore cuts superbly. Now thats running the ball.

Speaking of upsets, the Chargers are up two TDs – in Denver. Could cost the Broncs home field all the way.
    The Chargers I believe are definitely upset monsters; they already beat the Chiefs in KC.
    The Giants… not so much.
    We need Frank to predict a Hawks rout… where is Dennis?

Alex can chill; the Broncs have @Oakland and @Houston left.
    Chargers lost to the Bullies, so they’re still a huge longshot. The Ravens schedule is a nightmare, so (sigh) the Sadomasochists with the idiot owner and idiot HC are almost a cinch. Go Bills! Go Jets!

The Broncos could very well end up the 5 seed. You KNOW the Raiders will circle that game as their playoff game. KC has Indy and SD. Not a cakewalk, but we’ll see. It would be a fun development. Denver’s defense is surely looking pretty weak these days.

Fricking Keenan Allen is kicking ass. Really wish we would have taken a shot on him. Liked him coming out of Cal.

Good to see Bullit lurking. What a maroon.

Looking forward to another 49er victory. Kick butt in Tampa! BLEEP!

New thread is up . . .