Ray Lewis Busted for Banned Substance?

According to a Sports Illustrated article hitting the shelves as we speak, Ray Lewis bought and used a banned substance, IGF-1 (found in deer antler velvet), to facilitate his recovery from his torn triceps muscle. He ordered it from a company called SWATS (Sports With Alternatives to Steroids). Here’s the recorded convo :

“Spray on my elbow every two hours?” Lewis asked.

“No, under your tongue” says the SWATS guy.

“OK, just pile me up and just send me everything you got, because I got to get back on this this week” Lewis says.

Timing is everything I suppose. This story broke minutes before media day for the Ravens, and is made media day a whole lot more interesting. When asked about the deer antler spray, Lewis left with a “next question.” John Harbaugh and Ozzie Newsome were asked about this as well, and their answer was basically Lewis hasn’t been caught, so he isn’t using any banned substances.

Wouldn’t it be poetic justice if Ray Lewis was suspended from his last game? The fricking Super Bowl? I’m sure somone in the media throng brings up 13 years ago. He’s apparently not talking about that either. I don’t think Goodell has the stones to suspend him, however.

49 Responses to Ray Lewis Busted for Banned Substance?

Hard to tell if this will blowup, but I doubt it. I’m sure the NFL is in full suppress mode. Even ESPN was trying to discredit the story. If Ray needs deer antler spray, go get ’em Tiger. It won’t change the outcome.

2. Grumpy Guy says:

The NFL is not going to respond to this in the next five days.

After that, it’s moot: Ray is retiring, and unlike individual sports (Hi Lance), no one is stripping a Lombardi Trophy because one guy was juiced. That can’t even fine him. He is scot free, again.

Very possibly Lewis planned this from the day he was injured. I mean, why not?

Only justice now is we beat the motherfucker, and send him into retirement without his cherry on top.

3. Alleykat says:

Real men ,like the “Cowboy ” with the same injury as Fuckin Lewis,play through it,where’s a huge brace and deals with it the legit way,with surgery after the SB!!!!!!!
    Fuck Ray Lewis and his cheatin ways!!!!

Well, i wouldn’t go that far, AK. These kinds of injuries (pulling tendons off of bones) happens a lot more to guys on PEDs than anyone else. That being said, i did the same thing to my ankle years ago. And the only roids I have are hemmorhoids.

Oh, sure he did. I guess this Scott guy didn’t bother to start recording Ray Ray til later in the process. Lewis says he “got to get back on this this week.”

I wonder if you can smoke the fuzzy deer antlers, just a thought. Natures law and Karma will all play a part Sunday, but it will be preparation, execution, and coaching that will win it. A little luck wouldn’t hurt either.
    When I read the article on Kwame all I could say to myself is that it figures. And, that he must have never been to Hawaii because everyone pours soy sauce over rice. I’m gonna stay away from the underwear.

Mark Schlerith (sp?) of ESPN said you could go into any health food store in the US and find the deer antler spray. I’m wondering why it’s banned. Could be the slippery slope theory. Either way, the dude who Ray allegedly bought it all from was pretty convincing and sounded coherent on the radio.

What I really want to know is when was Ray actually tested. The NFL should release the actual dates Ray was tested. Yeah right. Roger Goodell is trying to cover this one up right now.

Randy Moss said, “The one thing I’ve really had to understand is my role as a decoy.” Is there gamesmanship in this comment? If Moss shut his mouth, would he have gotten more, less or the same amount of attention from the Ravens’ D? Does this comment affect anything John Harbaugh does for the rest of the week? Moss was flying low under the radar, and I thought Moss might be able to come up with some big plays because he was flying low. But now…. you can’t think the Ravens’ D is going to just think, “Randy’s a decoy…. I don’t have to cover him.” I think it draws more attention to Randy, obviously, and the only thing the attention can do (ironically) is make Randy more of a decoy. I don’t know. If I’m the 49ers, I use him and use him again next year.

• Winder says:

Kappy just has to throw the highball to him and more than likely he’ll snag it. I think he’s a great weapon with Crabs and VD all out there running around. I hope when all is said and done Gore gets the game ball.

And, I thought Ray Lewis was just wearing one of those horned Vikings hats…

9. Chico says:

Lots of deer running around with one antler thanks to Lewis.

The NFL will sweep this under the rug.

Hello all, I work for CalPERS and Steve Young was in our investment office!! unfortunately I received this information to late to see him.

Randy Moss had answered 31 questions – 4,500 words worth of responses – when he got this one Tuesday during Media Day: When you were a younger player, did you aspire to be the greatest receiver ever? Was that something in your mind to accomplish?

Here’s Moss’ word-for-word answer:

RM: “Uh, I don’t think (I wanted) to be the greatest receiver ever. Now that I’m older I do think I’m the greatest receiver to ever do it. I don’t think numbers stand. Because you can talk about this and this .. I think that I’ve had … this year has been a down year for me statistically. The year before I retired was a down year, then in Oakland was a down year. So I don’t really live on numbers. I live on impact and what you’re able to do out on that field. So I really believe that I’m the greatest receiver to ever play this game

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/01/paging-jerry-rice-moss-believes-hes-the-best-of-all-time.html#storylink=cpy

Can’t see any scenario where Lewis gets suspended for the Super Bowl. At this point, the only thing the NFL cares about is money and their ratings. They aren’t going to suspend a dude playing in his last game unless he kills someone. So actually, there’s still a decent chance Lewis gets suspended, I guess. 🙂

They talked to Rice about Randy. He didn’t have a problem with Randy saying that. The others were ribbing Jerry about it. He didn’t really take the bait.

Sopitty, deer antler velvet contains IGF-1, one of the fastest-acting growth hormones out there.

Hence the ban by nearly every professional sporting organization in existence.

Lewis wasn’t tested. SI got a hold of the phone recording of the dude that runs SWATS, the company that sells the spray. Or the SWATS dude released it for some reason. Or SI got them from him. I don’t really know, but the convo in the thread is the meat of the phone call.

And no, they ain’t gonna suspend him at this point. The evidence is flimsy at best. And it ain;t a positive test. He can deny deny deny just like ol’ Lance did . . .

ESPN will likely try to sweep it under the rug as he’s already got a spot for himself as an announcer of some kind.

I don’t want him suspended, I want his old slow dragging ass on the field. That “emotional boost” stuff lasts all of 10 minutes, then the Niners get to abuse him for 50 more.

I agree with 12th, Lewis is going to be dragging ass in the 2nd half. Ed Reed, too. I think we draw away from them in the 2nd half because we’re younger, stronger and faster. That’s a pretty good trifecta…….

Exactly.This plays out like the Green Bay game. They may hang around, and the key is them not getting an early lead, but we WILL wear them down.

News is now, the Niners will work on an Alex Smith trade following the Super Bowl, but if they don’t get enough interest they will release him “out of respect.”

This of couse is WAY before the start of the 2013 season March 14th.

• Flavor says:

I have said from the beginning of this discussion: They will not trade him. He’ll be released. The organization has a lot of respect for him and everyone feels bad that he got de-jobbed the way he did.
      But it’s business and it was the right call. And they have like 15 draft picks next year, or whatever the fuck it is. They’ll do the right thing and release him and let him negotiate a deal with a team that wants him that he wants to go to……..
      If they trade him, I’ll lose a little respect for the org.
      But they aren’t going to trade him……..

They’ll make the effort to get him into the AFC.
        Getting Draft Picks is the name of the game.
        Because Norv is in Cleveland now, Cleveland and Buffalo top my list, Jax and KC in the conversation.

If Buffalo shows any interest, the NYJ just might be desperate enough to get into the mix to keep him from getting there.
        Sanchez’s Contract is a major detriment to them.

I have no problem at all with the Niners trading Smith. I don’t think theyll trade him to the Jets, or any other fucked up situation. Well, the Jets. Smith, for all the bullshit he went through, made upwards of $70 mill (whatever) and had his career resurrected at the best possible moment. If not for Harbaugh, Smith is getting killed in Miam or is 2nd string in some other shitty situation.

I think the Niners will try to get him into a good situation. Cleveland would be his best option for trade. He younger than fucking Weeden for God’s sake. If not, we release him and AZ jumps on him in a New York minute. Either way, I don’t care.

And if they DO trade him, it’ll be for 2014-2015 draft picks.

• snarkk says:

I don’t see why the Niners wouldn’t make a strong effort to trade him. Alex has gotten rich at the Niner teat, and as Chuck says, Harbaugh resurrected his ass from the scrap heap into a wanted commodity. Starting QBs don’t grow on trees, and more than a handful of teams need one. Trade him to the Browns, get a coupla picks, and he’s back with Norv. Everybody’s happy…

Trade him to buffalo. I don’t want him in the division, to much history.

20. dirtnrocksnomo says:

Whatever happens with Smith it can’t be as painful as watching the media mob him today. Dude has been through enough humiliation for a few lifetimes.

I just hope Ray Lewis walks off the field Sunday without another Ring.
    Frank deserves his first before Ray deserves a 2nd.
    Totally tired of all the GodSpeak from a guy who obstructed justice in a double homicide.

Great football career, dumbest effn football dance known to mankind, best wishes and please lose on Sunday.

Amen, brother . . .

• shaman138 says:

Don’t really care who wins but I totally agree with you on wanting to see Gore get a ring before RayRay. If anyone deserves a ring it’s Gore and Vernon. That being said, I really don’t want to see Randy Moss’s smug ass get a ring.

22. barleyfreak says:

A lot has changed (talking about the media) in 18 years since our last SB appearance. I have never spent as much time as I have in the last week paying attention to them and they are in a fucking feeding frenzy. I love football, I love the Niners, but watching this level of obsession is really kind of bizarre. But it is, what it is.

Alex Smith continues to handle himself with utter class. You can also see the respect (of him as a man, not necessarily about how he is as a qb) in how other players talk about him. All my years as a Smith “doubter” will never detract from the fact that I truly respect him as a person. He has handled everything thrown at him with dignity, and integrity. Whatever I think of his skills is in the long term irrelevant to that.

As a “fan” I want what is best for my team, but I also believe that if they release him, w/o any draft picks, then what is “best” for the team and for Smith are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Good post BF –
      I actually think the Roster Bonus in March is a parting gift to Alex as well as the window of opportunity to recoup Trade value.
      Either way, I agree, he’s always been a stand up guy.

A trade isn’t a ‘bad’ deal for Alex either. Some team gets a dependable game manager with journeyman experience for a reasonable price picking up his remaining year and he gets a cool $1M from us walking around money.

If he performs as well as most here seem to think he will he’ll get re-upped on a three year deal for good money or get offered more in FA the following year.

I wouldn’t bet on him finding such a QB friendly environment as he has here myself, but that’s just me. I’m continually amazed at how much sympathy this guy engenders. Whatever it is about him that creates that has much bigger earning potential in the market place than his quarterbacking abilities.

It’s a marketing blitz now NoFear49er.
      Harbaugh has put Alex in the winners circle at the perfect time.

No QBs coming out in the Draft worth clamoring over and, few on the FA Market horizon that offer much competition at a reasonable price.

Just hope Baalke can land us a pick or 2 for our troubles.

As many of us suspected, Alex has probably hit his ceiling.
      He’s a stand up guy, shouldn’t be hard to obtain some interest.

Atlanta did well with their deal for Schaub, hope we can have similar success.

He’s still better prepared than Sanchez, Weeden, and others out there currently holding starting jobs.

He’s gotten ahead of Romo too in terms of Playoff success.
      For that matter, Kaep has too.

• barleyfreak says:

There’s a difference between sympathy and respect, but I’m not sure if you were referring in any way to my post above. I am not against a trade and can see a situation where it could work out. I get that it’s a biz, but I also get the sense that the 49er org if they do trade him, will not do so to a team he doesn’t want to go to. Or they’ll release him.

Yup, that’s what I think as well. The org knows how they fucked him over during his time here, but they also realize they’ve filled his bank account for 3 generations. They’ll send him somewhere he’s cool with or releae him.

• shaman138 says:

It would be cool if the Raiders could snag him but they have absolutely nothing to offer for him at this point….they need every draft pick they can get. So it’s Palmer/Pryor for next year….GAG!

24. Alleykat says:

Damm are 1st SB injury.Ahmad.Brooks has a grade 1 shoulder sprain.It was on the same play he nailed Matt Ryan with his own dislocated shoulder in the NFC title game.He.will play though,nothin is keeping me out of this game.He.also has a dislocated finger,he suffered early in the season.

Didn’t hear that, AK. At least he’s had some time to rest.

New thread is up.

Sham, i never got the Pryor signing. I can see taking a shot on palmer, although they overpaid an insane amount for him.