10 Days and Counting . . .

Here we are in the down week of the Super Bowl festivities. The 49ers have apparently installed their defense and offense and are ready to go. They arrive in NewOrleans on Sunday Jan 27th. Then, the onslaught begins. Mandatory meetings, the digging through everyone’s past, and the kind of monumental distractions that have derailed more than a few players, notably Barrett Robbins and Bart Starr award winner Eugene Robinson.

The thing that could get messy is the whole deal around Colin Kaepernick’s birth mom, Heidi Russo. She has been hinting around that she wants to meet her son that she gave up for adoption when he was six weeks old. She has also been in and out of the news most of the season since Kaepernick got the starting job in week 10. Since the media is as subtle as a bull in a china shop, I’m sure there is going to be a lot of talk around this, and some sort of staged event, God forbid. Russo has said repeatedly that she leaves the decision up to her son, but that hasn’t stopped her from doing interviews with anyone or keeping her face in the public eye. Her timing sucks, and I’m sure this is being somewhat driven BY the media, but tis kind of shit hopefully won;t become all-consuming to all concerned.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

31 Responses to 10 Days and Counting . . .

It would be a disaster for Russo to try and take the Super Bowl opportunity to talk with Kaep. He already doesn’t want to speak with her. He will eventually, when the time’s right. It might be ten years down the road, but don’t make it worse. Being a distraction in Kaep’s biggest month of his life would only cement Kaep’s feelings that she’s not someone he wants in her life.

She doesn’t seem completely bonkers. She seems somewhat stable. If she has one single brain cell rolling around in her cranium she’ll lay low right now. If she does interviews, she’ll only hurt her cause.

FWIW, here’s what she said.

Russo has been in touch with Colin, but not in person or over the phone. On Tuesday she talked with Fox 11 TV in Denver, repeating that she’d like the opportunity to meet with her son.

While Colin Kapernick’s mom says she has always been one of his biggest fans, she wants to be clear she’s simply not jumping on his bandwagon now because of his new-found success.

“Don’t get me wrong, I am not ‘coming out’ to share in any of the success Colin is having, I just want him to know I never stopped thinking about him. For my family, we will just be cheering for Colin just as loud as the Kaepernicks will be, come Super Bowl.”

Russo said she hopes to meet her son face-to-face one day. She said it’s up to Colin as to when that day will ever come.

Crazy stuff, Chico. I knew he was driven and a perfectionist, and also that he and Eddie had a lot of problems in the latter days on Walsh’s tenure as coach, but I didn’t realize the depth of his perfectionism.

Yeah, it’s too bad he didn’t coach for 3-4 more years.

• Grumpy Guy says:

If he had, he probably would have killed himself. He was in a bad way by the end of ’88.

One thing the story does not talk about is that Walsh’s decision to retire was finalized by a personal tragedy – one of his sons, from whom he was estranged, was diagnosed with AIDS.

After reading about her I started following her on twitter. There were like 80 people following her at the time. I read through her tweets and she’s hardly letting Colin be the one to decide, no pressure from her. I tweeted to her (paraphrasing) “hey, if you really care as much as you say why don’t you stop being a distraction to him at this critical time in his life.”
    She banned me in about 5 minutes. Fuck her, she’s FOS

• Spitblood says:

Nice work, Flavor. I’d do the same.

• Flavor says:

Dude, who are you kidding? You’d write something that would get yourself banned in WAAAAY less than 5 minutes, lol.
        I haven’t checked to see how many followers she’s got now. I do know that Colin has been clear through the media that he doesn’t want to meet her. What’s she still doing interviews for? And I keep reading how she’s not in it for the money, she started going to his games in college and shit. So lemme get this straight, you find out your biological son is a star D-1 quarterback and that’s not influencing you at all?
        Fuck her, stop doing interviews and then I’ll believe her. He knows you want to fucking meet him you dope, stop making this all about you. In fact, you could make an argument that it’s been about her since the day she gave him up for adoption……..

• Spitblood says:

I’d send her a message on twitter and she’d be asking me out on dates. Then I’d reject her and she’d claim I was mentally unstable…… which would be hard to argue.

• Grumpy Guy says:

LOL, Spit. Yeah that would be hard to argue.

Easier to dump her by telling her you’re only her *imaginary* boyfriend.

Hard to believe it was 31 yrs. ago to the day. That Montana to Cooper TD pass was coming right at me — if Joe would have thrown it 45 rows up.

• Flavor says:

Dennis– for me, and I know we’re pretty close in age, that’s been the coolest thing about this whole thing. It’s brought me right back to being a kid again. Back then, it was all I knew, I took the Super Bowls for granted. It’s just what we did. Then 17 years go by and now I’m old and I can be sure of one thing: I am going to appreciate every moment of this game. You never know when you’re gonna get back there……..

I remember everything up to the goal line stand. I got so drunk that day, it took 3 days to recover.

Yeah, that woman is going out of her way to keep her shit in the news. Idiot.

So I just checked in on Heidi on twitter to see how many followers she had. She was up to 3 or 4 hundred when she banned me and it was obviously going up from there. So now she has 48 followers and 2 fucking tweets out.
    She obviously deleted her account because she didn’t want the stupid shit she tweeted last May (or the May before I can’t remember) to show up now that Kap has blown up in the media.
    She’s following 7 people, one is her son. That’s just fucking a little bit creepy…….

Rams hire Rob Ryan. Lol. Division just got easier. That guy has sucked wherever he’s gone. Over……………….rated.

9. Chico says:

I’m thinking Bill Walsh was a perfectionist (never happy) because the best in their fields are like that. Obsess-get better-obsess some more-win a Super Bowl-obsess-get better rinse and repeat.

10. barleyfreak says:

Wow, that Walsh article is a helluva read. It highlights the superficial relationship most of us fans truly have with the intense sacrifice and personal price paid by our heroes behind the scenes of our team’s glory. I am at once filled with deep admiration for BW and what he brought to our franchise and the sport as well as compassion for the price it exacted. This is ultimately lost on 99.99% of the sporting public.

Yeah, you see guys like John Madden and Dick Vermeil, and you know they are living, breathing, eating, shitting, and dying football. It showed pretty much in everything they did. Guys like Walsh hid that from the rest of us.

12. Chico says:

Oops, didn’t see your reply up above Chuck.. ‘Perfectionist’ came to my mind, too. I’ll admit, when he passed, I shed a few tears.. Not so much because of what he did for me, but what he did for my older brother, my father and the game of football. I was born in 1978 so I remember very little of those great teams other than the big names.. I remember losing to Montana and the Chiefs in 94 – getting our asses handed to us by the Eagles but ultimately winning it all that year.

As a kid during those times, I just thought that being Champions was a normal thing… Like it was almost easy and we’d for sure win 3 or 4 each decade from there on out..
    That’s what Walsh means to me – hope, optimism and sports happiness forever.

Walsh’s personal life totally passed my by during those years. I really cared about the players not so much the coach. I definitely appreciate him a lot more now.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Until you follow the game for a while, you have no idea how hard these guys work, the hours, the cost to their family life, and the toll on their psychology. You have to be a little bit obsessed to get to the top. Which is great for your football career, not so good for the rest of your life. Walsh’s relationship with his wife and kids was thoroughly broken for a long time.

14. Chico says:

During the 88-92 years my brother was going to school @ Cal Poly so I didn’t pay as much attention to the Niners as when I was a kid, and from 92 on.. We’re all getting together this year for the Super Bowl, just like old times. Niners!

Not only Walsh though does the perfectionist apply. think of Jerry Rice and the truly great players. I can relate to the players side too, when my daughter started ice skating she got really good, to the point where your coach asked her how far she wanted to go, so the coach through it out there, practice everyday, home schooling, etc, etc. My daughters eyes got really big, she was in 8th grade at the time and looking forward to High school, football games, dances, Proms, all the things “normal” kids get to do. She skated for two more years and then gave it up. Being a proffessional anything really takes a huge amount of your time. Anyway GO NINERS

This morning Alex Smith is right where he should be: warming up his clipboard. For all you Alex Smith fans, here’s a funny link to what Alex has been doing this post season.

Funny thing is, Spit, Smith’s an NFL QB with a hot wife and a gazillion dollars. You? Blog troll. Glad this gets you off. Sorry, yer link is gone.

New thread is up.