Postcards from the Edge of the Playoff Weekend

Pretty much everyone went heavy on the home teams, so pretty much everyone got 3 out of 4 on the playoff prognosticating. As it was, only the following got them all right:

• AlleyKat

• Barley
  • 12th

The stragglers at 2-2 were:

• Spitty and Kevin

And the lone disaster at 0-4 was:

• Flava Flav

Twin and RTF have both taken a permanent vacation, I guess. So no clue as to what they thought. Sorry guys.

At this point, I think the Niners are looking pretty good at getting to the NFC Championship game again. Green Bay was playing at home against a quarterback who was horrifically bad and didn’t crush them like they should have. Truth be told, Jack Webb (Book ‘im, Dan-o [I know, wrong show. Just the facts, ma’am?]) was in a tough spot having thrown 0 passes over the season, and he looked rusty and lost. Still and all, he and the Vikes should have been a little more ready than they showed. That 1st drive looked good til Smoky Joe had to throw. It was like watching Joe Frazier trying to swim in the ABC Battle of the Network Superstars, or whatever that hokey show was.

Minnesota has a good defense, but I think the Niners are better defensively, and worlds better offensively. GB’s run game isn’t really all that great, even with used car salesman DuJuan Harris in there. I expect our offense to be a little tougher than the rudderless ship the Vikes were with Ponder on the sidelines. Juston Smith will be back, in a limited fashion most likely, but Ricky Jean has to really do a better job of holding the point. He will get a lot of action his way early and often. But all in all, I thnk the Niners win this going away.

56 Responses to Postcards from the Edge of the Playoff Weekend

After it was announced that Joe Webb was starting, I changed my pick to the Packers. I’m 3-1. I demand a recount. I’ll give you a hanging chad the likes of which you’ve never seen. Then I’ll punch that fat Scalia in the nards for giving us George W Bush. ( hehe… I wrote “nards,”) RECOUNT!

I’m too lazy to look it up, so, sure, yer 3-1 IF you keep your posts to 15000000000 words or less.

• Spitblood says:

That’ll be hard to do.

• It Was a hanging chad: Spit said to Denny- “All bets are off” re: his call fer the Vikes. Never heard “So I’m going with the Pack”. Technically that would give him 2-1. But yeah Spitblood’s intention was good if not entirely clear. But yeah give him a mulligan.

Hey how about Chuck’s stat guy? You think that guy has too much time on his
        hands? And maybe too much Benmore Scotch Whiskey? Ya think?

• Spitblood says:

It was my intention to call for the Packers over the Vikings when I heard Ponder was out, but no biggy. This is all for fun. Speaking of fun. Do you guys know what Del’s psychiatrist said when Del walked into his office, naked wrapped in cellophane? He said, “Del, I can clearly see you’re nuts.”

• phil fan says:

Scary but those are very small potatoes…

Saw the highlights of the Skins/Hawks game, and I just can’t really fathom what Shanahan was thinking. He knew RG III was hurting before the game started, and got hurt worse on the rollout play among other shots he took. After those first 2 drives, the Skins offense couldn’t generate anything as Griffin hobbled around with less and less effectiveness. To leave him in the game to completely blow his knee out is insane. Shanny’s an idiot. He’s sacrificing the future of the team for the immediate need. This became painfully obvious when Griffin went down untouched on a bad snap. His knee buckled sickeningly sideways as it totally gave way without antyone within 5 yards of him.

• Alleykat says:

He probably blew out his ACL thanks to Numnuts Shanahan leaving him in.

• shaman138 says:

Shanarat is and always has been a smug idiot. I guess he felt cocky and over-confident after they scored that 2nd touchdown and felt that the game was already in the bag. RG3 had no business being in that game after halftime. Meanwhile, the Squawks look mean and I see them beating the Doity Boidies in ATL, setting up the inevitable What’s Your Deal Bowl part VII, for all the NFC marbles.

• Grumpy Guy says:

You guys think if RG3 has lingering issues that His Snyderness might even can Shanny?

The Bestower of the Vanilla has a lot of scratch invested in Griffin, which could have been recklessly put at risk.

• phil fan says:

100% agree. RG playing in the 2nd quarter never mind the 4th? Crazy, dumb, a complete waste. Maybe they didn’t prepare the backup (Cousins?) who doesn’t run the option? Either way- very bad coaching. Snyder’s gotta be pissed

Yeah, watching that knee buckle just sphyncter muscle working big time!! over on the Niner Insider

Here’s a relevant tidbit on Cundiff, the 32-year-old brought aboard last week: In 114 games, including the playoffs, he has never kicked at Candlestick. Just a guess, but he probably won’t love the place.

Harbaugh said there’s a “good chance” both Akers and Cundiff will be on the 53-man roster Saturday, and it’s “conceivable” they could both be on the active, 46-man roster.

• Alleykat says:

Well it’s BS to keep 2 FG kickers on the activate roster,and weaken your ST ,by deactivating 1.Jimbo needs to show some balls and decide on 1.I would still stick with Akers,for the continuity between him, snapper Jennings and holder Lee.

Conceivable, but not damn likely. . .

Turns out that not many know less about football than Dan Snyder. He’s realizing that the less he’s involved the better the team does. A revelation that would no doubt benefit the Cowboys’ owner.

Too easy to second-guess Shanahan’s decision without knowing anything about it except the end result. There’s a lot riding on the playoffs for the team and its players and the threat of RG3 alone is important. Pretty hard to sit the guy that got you there if he wants to play.

I’m pretty sure RG3 is not the first QB who wanted to play hurt and whose coach played him. It’s the NFL. Where everyone plays hurt, and usually to the cheers of his teammates and coaches.

But since the team lost, of course they should have done something differently. Ain’t hindsight wonderful.

Besides, Shanahan’s made his career doing what his starting QB says. Dan Reeves says, karma’s a bitch.

Whatever, NoFear. If I can watch the game from the couch and say, shit, that guy ain’t getting it done, then Shanny should be aware of that as well. There’s hurt and there’s injured. Griffin came into the game with a hurt knee. His hurt knee got injured on the rollout and awkward landing. After that, he was pretty much useless. We all want to be Walt Fraizer and hit the winning basket on one good leg, but football is different. He could barely move before the knee collapsed. Shanny needlessly put him at risk. Dumb call. Would they have won with Cousins? Who knows? All we do knw is that they lost with an increasingly ineffective Griffin as the game went on.

Didn’t the Skins win a game with Cousins at QB earlier in the season? I know he played / started a game for them. Looks like Shanahan didn’t prepare the backup very well and wasn’t prepared to put him in with the season at risk. Unprepared QB? see Kaepernick in Seattle…

• Alleykat says:

Phil fan…You can say the same thing about Minnesota.They had no chance when your Backup in the playoffs Joe,Jack,Del Webb is the starter and never threw a pass all year,but was very effective in a couple of kneel downs to finish games.

7. barleyfreak says:

Players almost never want to come out. Even with the ultra marquee RG3, Shanahanahan should have pulled the trigger. Tough decisions are just that, tough. He was watching the same ineffectiveness we were. SEA is one tough team, and w/o wheels (or a solid back foot to throw off of), RG3 clearly didn’t have it. I get your point NF, but I think Shanahana blew it. They still might have lost with Cousins, though.

8. barleyfreak says:

I keep reading that we need ball control to keep Rodgers off the field to win this Sat. That sounds well and good, but my gut tells me that we won’t keep him off the field. In fact, unless Justin Smith has miraculously healed, I see us getting abused by Rodgers and his WR corps. This is not the same team we faced in week one. But I still think we win. The key is David Akers.

Just seeing if you’re paying attention. The key is Kaep. Despite those saying that we can’t win a shootout with Aaron Rodgers, I think that is going to be the only way we DO win. We’re going to have to score points because I think our D is vulnerable right now. But I think we will.

38-34, Niners.

9. barleyfreak says:

I also think that, despite losing Clemons, SEA will handle ATL. It will be close, though. 27-24. As much as it pains me to admit, SEA has assembled a pretty tough team on both sides of the ball. They are not as good as their dismantling of us indicated (nor are we as bad as we looked), but they are capable of beating ATL, or GB. But they will not beat us in the NFCCG.

SF over GB
    SEA over ATL
    NE over HOU
    DEN over BAL

SF over SEA
    DEN over NE

SF over DEN

I think two things: one is that the 49ers will get the necessary pass rush on Rogers. QBs always smile and say, “Please blitz me.” It’s guarded gamesmanship. All qbs would rather have a clean pocket to throw from without any pressure. Rogers may be good at finding the open receiver on the blitz, but you have to frustrate Rogers and blitz the hell out of him or get pressure with your four down linemen. But more importantly, the 3/4 is designed to disguise blitzes. Fangio needs to dial up unique blitzes that the 49ers haven’t come with. The blitzer can’t get picked up – the blitzer has to either hurry Rogers or sack him.

The other thing I think is that the Seattle / Atlanta game will be a slobber knocker. Atlanta has lost it’s previous thousand playoff games under Mike Smith because the team plays too tight in the playoffs under Smith. Smith doesn’t seem like the type of guy to let it all hangout, but I think that’s exactly what he’ll do. The interesting story line will be how Mike Nolan defends Russell Wilson. Can Nolan’s boys contain Wilson? Either way, these two teams will pound the hell out of each other and that’s to the direct benefit of the winner of the Niners / Packers’ game. Seattle already is without Clemons. I see more wounded warriors coming out of the Seattle game.

You just thought of TWO things? You’re head must be killin’ ya. Take a couple of aspirin and go lie down. When your feel better come back with ONE thought.

Speaking of killin’…Roll Tide early. ND is getting thumped.

*your* give me a fucking break. Blogging, cooking dinner and watching the BCS game all at once. I need to go lie down myself…

The irish is getting crucified by the refs so far. They almost let that fumble go . . .

Barleyfreak, et al, I’m usually the last guy to come to the defense of Shanahan. But I’m pretty sure RG3 was insisting he was able to get the job done and that probably the most renowned joint guy in the pro sports world was on the sidelines and could have shut RG3 down and didn’t and RG3 has been playing hurt for a month with success in big games. Not to mention that Shanahan knows who he has on the bench. Actually we saw him play, too. Even in garbage time he didn’t exactly light the Seahawks up.

Irish looking like pretenders so far. Stupid play calling behind poor play on all sides. 2nd and 2, 3rd and 2, and 4th and 2 and they go deep (on different drives) and fail every time.

Hard for Cousins to get into the flow of the game with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

All I know is that Richard Sherman has shown himself to be a major league jerk off. He makes it a point to scream at an opponent after a Sea win. Tom Brady apparently told Sherman after Sherman dogged him after Sea’s win over NE that October wins are nice, but January wins mean more. How many you got?

Did you guys catch Musburger gushing over A.J. McCarron’s girlfriend? He just about lost it.

Apropos of nothing. Did you hear the one about the 3 quarterbacks?

Tony Romo, Eli Manning, and Drew Brees walk into a bar. . . to watch the playoffs on TV.

Happy I didn’t bet on any of the games. Didn’t really care about any of them. I watched the first half of the Luck game till it became clear the Baltimore D was going to try to murder him every play….
    If I go 0-4 this week just think about the even-out possibilities of THIS week! 🙂
    Dennis, send me your addy

And I agree with NoFear– it’s way to easy to 2nd guess Shanny after the fact. Sitting on your couch is nothing. When you’re “in the game” as a player or a coach, it’s a totally different ball game. A coach “in game” is dealing with a lot of shit including pressure that the couch potato can’t fathom….

I’ll go with the Niners to win v. the Pack, but it ain’t going to be EZ. Pack is better than they were week 1. Rogers is in sync, and loaded for Bear, plus he wants to show the SF org that they F’d up by not takin him #1. Which, they did. I figure the Niners will win this by no more than a TD. They’ll stop the run, but Rogers can get the throws done against anybody. Kap and gang will need to score at least 28, which seems hard to do for them. Plus, the D needs 2 takeaways, minimum. If we cough up 2 turnovers, we’re history. Hear that, Ginn? Fair catch, dammit. If the game comes down to an SF field goal, I’m heading for the scotch bottle…

Again, the BCS rankings prove to be an absolute joke. Stanford or Oregon would not have given Bammy a better game that this sieve like ND defense, and slowass, stoopid play calling ND offense? What a silly system. Increasing this stupidity to just 4 teams won’t make much difference….

Sorry, Flav, but that’s bullshit. It’s like Nolan saying after all his losses “I need to check the tape” when he saw the carnage up close and personal. There are coaches in the press box, medical personnel on the field, and 10-15 odd other people seeing RGIII struggle. I’m sure Shanny was asked countless times during the game whether to make the move. Yeah, it’s a fast game and you have to react quickly, but Shanny decided to risk his QB when he was gettin worse and worse.

It’s ironic that Shanahan got so much criticism for drafting Kirk Cousins after drafting RGIII. Shanahan got it right drafting Cousins, but it’s ironic Shanny because he didn’t use his draft choice when needed the most. Shanny had the foresight to draft a backup. Shanahan either didn’t have his backup ready when Shanahan knew RGIII was injured, or didn’t have faith in Cousins when the Redskins needed him the most. Shanahan didn’t deserve the criticism for drafting Cousins, but he does deserve the criticism for not using Cousins.

I don’t think it’s second guessing when the clearly injured, and ineffective QB, comes out to start the second half and everyone in the room is shaking their heads at that decision. Shanny had to put Cousins in at the start of the second half, it was torturous watching RG3 stumble about trying to play, if this was boxing the ref would have stopped it.
    Shanny deserves the decision being questioned, it was questionable to say the least.

The preliminary talk is that Griffin will miss up to 1/3 of next season due to the damage to his knee. Nice call, Shanny.

Not sure why Shanny and/or the Skins would catch heat for drafting a backup QB after drafting Griffin when they had nothing but shit for QBs last year. Cousins was at least a known commodity. He got his start vs Cleveland and played well. It wasn’t like the Minnesota situation with Webb.

25. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Cousins being drafted in the second round might be questionable but being picked in the fourth round is simply a best player available situation. Most people can’t name their fourth round picks from the last three drafts of their team.

The Bears to inteview Mike Singletary for head coach……. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (fingers getting tired) HAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAAHAHHHAHAHA (Rooney Rule) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

You never know with the McCaskeys . . .

Remember last year when we were all thinking – “This is Ray Lewis’ last chance to get a Super Bowl ring as a starter (then Cundiff botched a field goal that is somehow tied to the Ray Lewis karma of holding a guy down while others stabbed him to death)? Well, aside from the unfortunately parallel, Frank Gore is right there, right now. This could be Frank’s last good shot as a starter. Next year the 49ers will use more James and Hunter, and less and less Gore. GO FRANK, GO!

29. Leo the Great says:

Got a real bad feeling about the 49ers. A reduced Justin Smith, no Manningham, kicking game mess, …thought it was funny to hear Bowman say they got the defense squared away against AZ…HAHA…facing that chump QB? ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS>
    GB 35 SF 21

Whatever, Leo. You whine more than Dennis. It’s all about pressure. The Niners hurried Rodgers all day opening day, and he wasn’t comfortable in the pocket. He threw bad balls, a pick, was sacked 3x, and hit repeatedly. Get to Rodgers early and score. GB is one-dimensional anyway. You can really pin your ears back and go after him if you have the lead. The last game shouldn’t have been as close as it was with the gift punt return TD, but that is another area of concern.

ST has been a mess all year, and Ginn has to pull his head out of his ass regarding when to field the punts, and when to let them go over his head. Let alone his running to the sidelines all the time. this game, as most others becomes a field position deal. The Niners can’t afford Ginn letting punts hit at the 20 to roll to the 5, and catch balls on the 8.

It’s not like the Niners have to be perfect to win this game. They just have to be what they are. Tough at home. Pound the ball and take shots downfield.

Green Bay’s got the short week and travel time to deal with. The niners are rested and ready.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Question is, can we get that pressure this time with Justin at less than 100%? Aldon looked very ordinary with Justin on the sideline.

We’re rested… ready? We’ll see. We looked horrible following the bye this year.

I think we win, but I’m far from convinced it will be easy.

• z says:

Seriously have me confused with someone else Homer

New thread is up . . .