Week 2 of “The Young and the Restless Quarterbacks

So, Jim Harbaugh came out yesterday after an especially impressive performance by Colin Kaepernick, and said he had no idea who would start next Sunday in St. Louis. This information of course is up there in the pantheon of who shot JFK, and who General Patraeus is currently banging.

Funny thing is, a case can easily be made for either. Smith has put together quite a resume since Harbaugh took over. 20-6-1 and a botched punt or two from the Super Bowl. Cappy? Well, he’s the hot hand right now. He has put together 2.6 games of very solid play with some absolutely beautiful passes along the way.

So what will Harbaugh do? I have no idea. Does he ride the horse he’s got now? Or defer to the guy that got him close last year? Alex Smith didn’t do anything to lose his job besides get hit in the head, but Cappy is very dynamic and has strung together a great stretch of recent game play. If it was me, I’d keep Kaepernick in there. Let it ride. I love what he has brung to the table, and the team sure seems to feed off his energy.

As recently as Saturday I thought they should go back to Smith after NO, but this last game was a pretty big deal. Norleans needed this game in the worst way. They were on a roll, and desperately trying to climb back into the playoff hunt. They threw anything and everything at Cappy and the offense. A win would have put them solidly in the hunt for a wildcard spot, and no one would have blinked had the Niners lost a tough road game on the bayou. Instead, Cappy played tough, driven football. His field vision is outstanding, and his passes were accurate. The only blemish came on a bad snap, and Cappy didn’t get much of a look downfield when he threw the pick. He likely should have taken the sack, but that INT let to Ahmad Brooks’ pick 6, so it ended well for ther Niners. No one was happier when the defense came off the field than Cappy.

That being said, it would be so like Harbaugh to start Smith this Sundy just to tweak us droolers and mumblers out here in the wasteland of fandom. If so, I think Harbaugh has a megalomaniacal bent of the highest order. He’s Dr. Frankenquarterback. He can whip up QBs out of lumps of clay in a week.

I suspect Scott Tolzein will enter the QB race by week 14. But he’s not included in the poll.

Yet.

163 Responses to Week 2 of “The Young and the Restless Quarterbacks

All that being said, Harbaugh very well COULD go with Smith if he stands by his earlier statement that he brought in Cappy in NO to make sure Smith is fully over his concussion.

I suppose he’ll drag it out all week again. My drool bucket is at the ready . . .

2. twinfan1 says:

WTF is wrong with the Genius? Now he says Smith is the starting QB but Colin isn’t a back up. And he won’t name a starter.

As I suspected when I saw the replay, it’s now confirmed that Kyle W has an ACL tear. Out for the year. Looks like Jenkins just got a ticket to being active. Haven’t yet seen anything on K Hunter injury update…

This week the “no one’s better than Smith” crowd in room A (for Alex?) is looking to straddle the fence to the room B “Smith’s holding back our offense” crowd with their “Yeah, I said the other guy’s pretty good” gestures now. Apparently this week will be consumed with the “who should start now” debate and the slickest methods to take both sides at once.

If you’ve been one to beat other posters over the head with your Alex Smith club, here’s your chance to man up and allow ‘hey, maybe you guys were right’ and if you’ve been on the ‘anyone but Smith’ side you don’t have to keep poking the Smith acolytes in the eye, at least more than a week.

5. barleyfreak says:

Well my predictions continue to suck eggs albeit quite happily this past week.

Smith is not going to start this week Chuck. JH is just fucking with people, though I truly think he puts little thought into it. He just doesn’t want to say anything, anytime, to anyone, that is not inside the clubhouse.

However the situation was handled last week, CK has shown a lot in two weeks. It ain’t about stats either. His pocket presence, movement, sack avoidance, all while looking downfield trying to make plays happen, are all on a level that is simply superior to Smith. Sample size is small, but he’s done things in two games I have been complaining about AS NOT doing for a long time. He has proven to me that he has the better star potential. Just like that. He’s going to make more mistakes than Smith. He’s going to take less sacks than Smith. He’s going to make more bigger pass plays, and TDs than Smith. It all adds up to a more explosive offense. If the D finds itself ahead, and also knows it can take more chances because our offense can make up for mistakes, that set the table for more TO’s, sacks, etc.

Kicking ass, coming to a stadium near you.

I was previously concerned about how other players view the demotion but I’m not anymore. They look energized. The only long face I have seen on the sidelines belongs to Alex. I feel for guy, I really do, but it’s a business, with enormous pressure on all the players to win, week in and week out.

Well, in the thread I said I thought he’d stay with Cappy. But he’s throwing up mixed signals again. And if you believe Cappy, he said yesterday that he got the word (with the rest of the team) that he was starting at 10:00 pm Saturday night.

Like the SF Giants and their closer-by-committee (something that usually never works), Harbaugh’s going way against the grain with this. Maybe it keeps them both sharp thinking they both may be out there the next day.

• snarkk says:

At this point, I really don’t give a fig what Harbs does with the media. He’s been around now for 1 1/2 seasons, so his rope a dope with the media is old hat, and won’t change, unless maybe the team tanks and he can’t get away with it. This is a huge deal, so it’s not surprising he’s screwing around with this. Hell, he won’t tell the media a guy had a bad dish of prawns last night, so he’s sure not going to tell details about this issue. IMO, his media phobia looks staged and stoopid, but he wins games, so whadda I know, and secondly, maybe it doesn’t matter anyway. Nonetheless, however he releases the info, if Kap is NOT announced the starter against the Rams, then none of these past two weeks of cloak and dagger uncertainty will make any sense to me at all…

Harbaugh’s decision, as I see it, is simple. Start Kaep.

Alex won’t get any more pissed off by it than he already is, and Alex has to know that Kaep has lit things up in making the most of his opportunity for playing time. It shows the other players that better players will earn playing time and playing well earns starting jobs. That’s easily explained to and understood by players.

Going back to Alex after Kaep’s performances sends the opposite message. Loyalty trumps playing better. That’s a tough message to stick with when faced with cutting players from the roster every year and results in a team failing to keep new talent.

On the thing about Alex wearing his helmet — yeah, I heard some on the radio say he wore it to hear the plays, and didn’t when the defense was on the field. Well, I never saw a shot where he had it off, but I didn’t watch every single second of the broadcast, so whatever, but I did see most of both halves. Anyway, that’s fine, but when Kap was second string on the sidelines, did HE wear his helmet? Do other backups on other teams wear THEIR helmets and stand somewhere away from the coaches? I don’t know for sure, but I thought the backup is usually near the head coach or one of the other coaches, and sometimes has a headset on to hear the chatter and the plays and does some charting at the same time or some such, and talks to the coaches. To me, standing off to the side somewhere with your helmet on seems a little out of the ordinary. Somebody who notices these things can correct me if I’m wrong…

9. twinfan1 says:

Well, VD now says Alex should be the QB. And you can bet others feel the same way. Players are human beings-they know Colin has performed well but many have been here with Smith through some shit times and they know he and they came out of it to become a top team under his leadership. They’re pros and will support any choice publicly, but they know damn well that Smith was already leading them back to the playoffs and performing at a top level.Jimbo has put enormous pressure on Colin- this is hardly a change from an ineffective, unpopular QB.One poor outing and there will be big time grumbling in the locker room.
    BTW, Fear: your crowd has the apologies to make, pal. …
    And maybe you boys need to pay more attention- Alex was consuting with Colin regulary, the helmet was to hear the plays. No, it’s not done all the time. It’s quite likely that with the noise, they asked him to to do that as insurance on the play call. But I think Snarkk has an alternate theory, like he thought he could sneak in and no one would know..

I think Snarkks’s asking a question, Twin. no need to go all black-helicopters on this.

To answer the question, yes. Most backups hang around the HC with a head set and listen to the calls from upstairs. Listening through the helmet? The only diff there is with the headset you hear the chatter from the OC in the press box to the HC, then the call from the HC to the QB. With the helmet all you get is the call from the HC. I think.

Did Alex want to show everyone he was ready to play if called upon?

• twinfan1 says:

It had already been answered. And with the helmet he gets less crowd noise. No, he didn’t want Daddy to know he was ready. I kinda think they both knew that…And if it’s not your job to fact check the liars, it’s sure as fuck not your job to jump on my posts.

I added a poll to the thread. Wonder who wins . . .

Another thing that the Kyle Williams injury does is put the spotlight on the QB position even more. Kyle was the emergency QB if both activated QBs go down in the same game. Now, that’s no longer an option. Will they need to activate Tolzien? I would think Crabby doesn’t want to do it…

Or Freddie Solomon.

Yeah, I think with Smith just coming off the concussion, Tolzein may get activated.

Yeah, they’ll likely activate LMJ as well. Unless Jacobs gets the nod.

• snarkk says:

Would they give LMJ kick return duties, or give both kicks and punts to Ted Ginn? That’s assuming after the game yesterday Harbs let Ginn back onto the plane to come back home after that stoopid punt muff. Also, I didn’t get why Kyle fair caught that one punt on the 5 yard line — at that close to the goal line, just let the damn thing go, it might bounce into the EZone, IMO…

• Flavor says:

I thought about that, too. Or maybe Jenkins? He shouldn’t get tired out too quick just returning a few kicks a game, should he? 🙂

Wow. Tinfoil hat time, Twin. How about you blow it out your ass? Settle down. As usual, Twin, you give people shit for their opinions, and cry when you get some back.

Snarkk asked a legit question. Which you think is some sort of veiled dig at Young Sir Alex Smith. You give him grief.

I answer his question. You give me shit for my answer.

Now you whine to me that I shouldn’t give you shit about giving us shit?

HAH! Dream on, Skippy.

I think it’s clear why Smith wore his helmet all game (and remember, he did NOT wear it in the Chicago game). He was just sending a message. “I want to play and I want to play now”. —It was *Black Power* fist shit, albeit more underwhelming……….

• twinfan1 says:

He wore the helmet only when the offense was on the field to hear the play calls. Your theory is a crock of shit.

• Flavor says:

Really? According to your post earlier this morning on my blog you said that Snarkk saw it on him all game and that you saw it on him in the second half. Now you are saying he only wore the helmet when the offense was on the field? Super cool that you know that. Hey, you’re home all day long so you probably read the article where it said this. Got the link for me? Thanks in advance.

• twinfan1 says:

I don’t vouch for Snarkk I said I saw it on in the second half. That’s not inconsistent ewith the fact that he only wore it when the offense was on the field.Here’s the qoute and the link
        “Smith stoically paced the sideline fidgeting with a football. He wore his helmet during the 49ers’ possessions so he could listen to the play calls via the radio transmitter in his helmet.”
        Next time call the liars liars. It’s the 5th paragraph down.

• twinfan1 says:

You’re welcome, always glad to help.

• Flavor says:

all I did was ask to see the link and you posted it as I asked for. Thanks!

• twinfan1 says:

No, you pull that when you think I’m lying.As I said, pull that shit with the liars.

• Flavor says:

I never accused you of lying, if you read that or saw that, maybe that’s your brain on drugs—or altered by them, who knows. I respectfully asked for the link and you gave it to me. I then respectfully thanked you. Kind regards and I hope your mood turns around tonight………

As is yours. That’s why they call them theories.

LMJ was a disaster in the preseason returning punts so I think we’re stuck with Ginn. If he can’t go, I’m not sure what they’ll do. Perrish Cox did some returning in college, but I’m sure he’s rusty.

Raid someone’s practice squad?

• snarkk says:

It’s not like returning punts and kicks is no big deal. It is, as we learned (re-learned) to our chagrin in the NFC title game. They need a guy who isn’t a hand grenade ready to go off. Seely needs to start earning his dough a little more and figure it out, along with how the blocking broke down on that FG attempt yesterday…

17. twinfan1 says:

I completely agree that he has to stay with Colin. Nothing to do with performance-other than style points he hasn’t been better than Smith. Harbaugh would make a situation he already fucked up even worse. Now he should do what he should have done Smith- go with Colin as far as he takes them.If he does make another change for performance issues, make it the last one.He’s already benched a guy who was performing well, doing it again would be el stupido redux.

VD’s comments about Alex still being *our guy* is just him playing both sides through the media (as he should do). If Kap gets hurt Smith will be back in and he doesn’t want to ruffle Alex’s feathers.
    I think everyone who is looking at this objectively knows that Kap is the starter from here onward unless he gets injured (more likely than him imploding, IMO).

After the Ram game I said I would be mildly surprised if Kap didn’t get the start against the Bears for 2 reasons, a Smith concussion and because Kap largely played well and brought them back and almost won it. After Chicago I said Kap will get the start in NO and after his long drive to eat clock I said we have a new QB. Kap has earned the position regardless regardless of what VD said or Harbs has said to the press. It would be unfair to both guys to play who’s on first week by week. Despite Twins agenda and pushing every angle possible Kap has played at least as well as Alex and has done things onfield that we rarely if ever see from Alex. This is a done deal IMO.

• twinfan1 says:

I already said Kap should start.

You did Twin but for a different reason.

• twinfan1 says:

Not a totally different reason. Everyone with a brain knows that switching back now would be fucking up a fucked handling even more. You may want to think that the sportsworld is as one on Kappy being the right choice, but it’s not the case. You guys give me shit for backing Smith but I always support my opinion with reasonable info and data and yes, even some “sniff test”. It’s you guys who won’t just agree to disagree. It’s always been that way.

Getting everyone to agree is ethereal nonsense. There will always be dissenting voices in any decision and the world is full of crackpots. After the Chicago game you are right “the sports world” was heavily divided and coming down more on the side of keeping Alex as a starter. After last night the sports world has been about as unanimous as it going to be in support of Kap starting. Including guys like Maiocco who the week before had said keep Alex. You are entitled to your opinion but it’s your’s Twin and almost nobody agrees with you now that Alex is better than Kap.

It’s not a question that Smith has a ton of respect in the locker room. But if Harbagh starts Smith, it’ll be the weirdest fucking deal in the history of football. They might as well go with the Wood/Strock idea. Smith can start, and Cappy comes in as his reliever. Or vice versa.

Twin, nothing to do with performance? Style points? Really? And how do you know how well Smith would have done in those circumstances since they didn’t happen?

I can pretty much guarantee you though, the Saints would have gotten a few sacks if Smith started yesterday. As it was, they didn’t get any.

• twinfan1 says:

We have Smith’s record, pal. Obviously we have to make an educated guess, Which holds more water than the ridiculous “Alex doesn’t make that pass” bullshit. We also know that the way the defense played in both games, they would have won with you under center.

This helmet stuff is amusing. I saw him wear it in both halves. I don’t remember when he wore it — whether only on offense, or all the time, I dunno, I didn’t pay attention to that at the time. Fox just showed it when they showed it, and that’s it. But, I’ll go with the just on offense, it makes sense, I suppose re: hearing plays. There wasn’t a separate “helmetcam”, so I don’t know how often he wore it and took it off. He did look very ready, though, CSNBA website had a shot of him with helmet on AND holding a football…

Speaking for myself I think Alex wanted to hear the calls and project his readiness to play, I saw the holding the ball shot too. I see QB’s hold the helmet to their ear usually to listen to plays but as Twin said that stadium was rocking.

• snarkk says:

I just thought of something also. BF says Alex wasn’t doing the helmet thing at home against the Bears. Maybe with home games they have more headsets available and he wore those instead, as opposed to an away game and they have limited numbers of ’em so he wore the helmet? Hell, I don’t know…

• Grumpy Guy says:

Well there was no chance of him playing against the Bears anyway. So no sense in him worrying about staying ready.

It is an interesting point though Snarkk, although he wasn’t cleared to play so in that sense it made no difference if he listened or not I would have thought he would be curious what they were calling. Maybe he was still suffering headaches?

• twinfan1 says:

It’s easy to see where this was supoosed to go: pathetic little Alex hoping coach will see he wants to play and hoping Jimbo feels so sorry for him he changes his mind and sends him in… We all know coach knew Alex was ready, the idea that Smith thought he needed to wear his helmet to demonstrate his readiness is beyond absurd.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Yeah, I agree, that is absurd. Harbaugh might change his own mind, but no one else is doing it for him. I think it was just keeping his head in the game, knowing what we were running and what was working, just in case.

• snarkk says:

The “ready” thing from me was an attempt at some humor. I don’t see this whole helmet thing as too serious a deal, just weird, or absurd, if you want to call it that. Because Harbs has botched the handling of the two QBs and things are hush hush, wearing or not wearing a helmet becomes something to examine, when it might mean something, or nothing at all…

• Flavor says:

actually it makes perfect sense. He hasn’t said shit about any of this. You even basically called him a pussy yesterday (or whenever it was) for sitting quietly by and letting all of this just pass by without him saying a thing. If he’s a pussy who won’t speak up then wearing his helmet in protest is totally believably for his actual response.

you beat me to it Flavor.

• twinfan1 says:

Maiocco gave you the reason. But I knew you wouldn’t for it. Go with the “Daddy Daddy” theory.
        And no, Smith will just wait the year out and either return here if he has to take over for Kap ( depending on how far they go in the playoffs() or move on.He’s raised his market value this year. Last year we heard nothing about landing spots, this year there’s already lots of conjecture and not as a back up..
        I was unhappy that he took this so quietly, as was Aikman.But I didn’t give him credit for the kind of man he’s shown himself to be-in fact he and Colin have both given Harbaugh some lessons in class. Alex will grit his teeth and do whatever job he’s asked,

I didn’t say he was trying to change Harbs mind or subscribing to this “daddy theory” you made up, I think he was listening to the radio and showing his displeasure and readiness to play to the rest of the world.

• Flavor says:

Smith had no other options to start at QB for another team, that’s why he returned. Will he get any this off season? Eh, maybe. Probably not. Teams are going with young, newly draft QB’s all over the league—it’s unprecedented. Starting with Cam Newton and Dalton last year, now we have Luck, Tanehill, Locker, Wilson…..and that’s just off the top of my head. And they are outperforming higher paid vets in the league.
        Alex will get a job next year, maybe as a starting QB, but it will be if the price is right. Nobody will be over-bidding for his services—-and I am basing that opinion off last off season when no one signed him and he came back to SF……….

22. dirtnrocksnomo says:

Granted I am not the astute observer as my esteemed colleagues but I didn’t see that Kap was appreciable better than Smith but I definitely don’t think he was worse. I guess that Harbaugh likes the higher ceiling for Kap. It truly sucks for Smith. Dude is a team captain and a statistically highly rated QB this season after a breakout season and he gets this treatment? I don’t think this cuts into Harbaugh’s credibility in the locker room this year but may take a year off his shelf life with this group of players.

23. twinfan1 says:

They’re going to the playoffs with either guy and Kap giving them the better chance in the playoffs has been given as the reason for the switch.Now we hear, well no, it’s Ok if he doesn’t do better. Sorry, this isn’t Gooberville.If Alex takes them as close as he did last year and can’t get another shot this year because he’s benched for a guy who’s supposed to do better.. well, it ain’t arithmetic but it’s unassailable logic- Kap has to do better..

• Flavor says:

Kap has to BE better, he doesn’t have to DO better. In you and Denny’s world, football is 100% about the fucking QB. That’s so stupid.. It’s a fucking TEAM game. And the other team they’re playing has something to do with it, too. Each game, each season is different. The Niners had no guarantee of going as deeply into the playoffs this season with Alex as they did last season with him.
      JH thinks Kap gives them the better chance to win because he thinks he’s a better QB. Get it? No you don’t get shit. You’re just going to continue with your petty, petulant defense of Smith—why stop now, you’ve been doing it for 7 fucking years straight…………

• twinfan1 says:

I get what Jimbo *thinks*. Read my 6:38 and write it down. It’s how it is.

• Flavor says:

your 6:38 is, how did you word it?….. *a crock of shit*. The normal expectation would be that the Niners would return to the playoffs this year but it’s ludicrous to think that anyone realistically expected an easy breezy return to the NFC Championship game. Except for maybe you, I guess.
        And you and you alone will judge Kap based off this absurd *Super Bowl or bust* mantra. I agree that Kap has little margin for error, he can’t throw a couple of stinkers in there and expect to stay in as the starter.
        But assuming the Niners get to the playoffs there are zero expectations on how Kap or Smith will do. Their performance in those games will determine how you grade them. Not how the team does. Grade THE TEAM on how far they go, not the fucking QB unless (as Denny thinks) you feel the QB is all that matters in football.

• twinfan1 says:

Actually, I’ve educated the Snith haters on the team conmceppt. As i’ve pointed out maybe 6 dozen times- the, we’ll call them “Smaters” for short, insisted the 19-31 record with Smith was his record, W-L was all that mattered bather blather., now they’re 20-6-1 since last year-nope, it’s a team game now.It always was.Fact, however, is so fucking simple that I have no iudea why you argue it. You don’t replace your QB hoping the new guy will only be as good as the old one.Here’s the consenus EVERYWHERE on why the move was made:
        “But the controversial QB change isn’t about this week, or next week, or even two weeks from now. To go forward with Kaepernick after he played so well against the Chicago Bears’ defense in his first NFL start last week, Harbaugh was thinking seven weeks down the line in the NFC divisional playoffs. ”
        Do I really to add that Plan A not for Coiln to do worse than the incumbent did last year? From Maiocco again:
        “In making the quarterback switch, Harbaugh is gambling that the 49ers’ best chance of winning the Super Bowl is with Kaepernick at quarterback.

We went down this road Twin, unless you can guarantee Smith is getting the team back to the NFCCG THIS YEAR your point is meaningless. As an aside, in the middle of the season it was far from a sure thing we made playoffs, Squawks were right there too and Kaps 2.5 wins, 2 of which were enormous games, have already put the team into an almost unassailable lead in the division. Would Alex have won those games? Perhaps, but Kap did.

• twinfan1 says:

You’ve been down the road and still get lost- We’ve seen where they went with Alex, to even suggest that that’s not a benchmark for his successor is ludicrous. You think Denver got Manning so he can do as well as T-Blow? Were WE going after Manning so he can just equal what Smith did? Call home, E.T..

Good lord Twin, you defy logic. Keep banging the drum.

• twinfan1 says:

Hmmm.. you replace your QB and don’t expect the new one to do better? Righty-right, mate

You cover every base Twin? That way you can always point to where you said x or y huh?
        I “expect” Kap will be a better QB yes. That in no way implies he has to reach a certain game that you decide is a milestone for 1 guy in 53 to reach in order to “prove” to you he is better. Ye Gods man, this stupid argument is beyond the pale. I am more than happy to have a rational debate with anyone but this is juvenile.
        Every team chooses what the deem to be the best players and put them in the best position to try to win every game and nothing more than that. If by taking Manning a team could be sure to go to the bowl there would be 32 blank checks on his doormat tomorrow.
        There are teams with better QB’s than Alex or Kap who go year after year to the playoffs without winning the bowl. The Patriots have come first in their division for the last 11 or so years with 2 exceptions, and they came 2 on those years, how many bowl wins during those years? Your “logic” dictates they should have 11 since they won it one year they should do as well every year.

24. Grumpy Guy says:

“You people have set upon Smith’s supporters like crazed jackals.”

“Crazed jackals do not always drink, but we do, we prefer Psychotic Venom…”

POTD, Grump

Funny shit here. In a perfect world, we will replay the 2011 season with our 2012 quarterback. Let’s see how this goes.

26. twinfan1 says:

From Maiocco again:
    After all, the 49ers made it to the NFC championship game with Smith. So the level of expectations has been set for Kaepernick.:”

That’s a quote from before the NO game and I said it was a stupid headline grabber at the time.

• Flavor says:

that is the dumbest fucking thing I’ve read so far about all this drama (next to the shit you’ve posted)
      The *expectation* is that we get back to the playoffs. Coming within a single play or two of winning the NFC Championship game is not an expectation this year any more than it was a belief that Smith won or lost last year’s,
      And your obsessive weirdness with all these people who put the pre-Harb losses on Smith but fail to give Alex credit for the wins since J-Harb came to power is classic Denny-ism bullshit. Normal fans don’t attribute wins and losses solely to the QB. They attribute them to the team and in some cases individuals who fuck up or succeed at high profile times during the games. Sometimes that’s the QB, probably more than any other position. But not EVERY FUCKING GAME, LOL!
      That’s why Kyle Williams gets the *credit* for losing last year’s NFC Championship. Apparently you are under the delusion that fans think Smith lost that game…….

• twinfan1 says:

Stop fucking comparing me to that wet brained, racist, birther, fuckshit on ANY level.How about answering a simple question, so far 12 and Chuckles have weaseled out.. You picked the Niners to go 14-2 with Smith at QB. Surely you had SOME expectation of how they’d do in the play offs. Forget the Super Bowl, how far will they( that means, uh, the TEAM, go now that they’re 8-2-1 with a better QB? It’s strictly Weaselville if you won’t answer that. It’s simple, straight forward, a fair question..

So, in other words, Twin, the entire team as constituted is exactly the same as they were last year. The only difference is the QB. Got it.

same opponents and they have exactly the same teams too.

• twinfan1 says:

You are more than unclear, you’re bat blind.I’ve tried to make it easy by eliminating Smith from the equation. THIS team, THIS QB, how far do you think they’ll go? it’s not a trick question.

Right, Twin. It’s a very simplistic way to look at it, but sure. The expectation to reach the Super Bowl this year was set when they lost the NFCCG last year. It doesn’t change with the QB.

• twinfan1 says:

Who are yiou arguing with now, me or Maiiocco? I know you guys think of him as a less informed colleague but he (and many media types) agree with that. BTW, Alex is not a “butt-buddy” as one of your esteemed posters said of Alex and me)
      Alex and I are more into S&M, my butt-buddy is Vungo..try to have your flock get my fetishes straight, will ya?

Twinfan, so you pass on the man up thing? I knew it would probably be too much for you when I issued the challenge.

Whether Harbaugh, or anyone else for that matter, is an expert above reproach or a classless asshole hinges solely on your perception of how Alex Smith is being treated? Even if it means choking the offense down to accommodate your boy? It’s a hard sell now.

The question’s been answered by the guy you held up as the expert only a couple weeks ago.

If you were impartial or even honest about it, it’s undeniable that Kaep brings more to the offense and is much tougher for opposing teams to defend than Alex.

Just because I’ve been trying to get that through to you for years doesn’t make it any less true.

• twinfan1 says:

What am I supposed to “Man up” about? I do it for family, country, friends. But fire away. I probably ignored or skipped over the post.

• NoFear49er says:

You did neither. Your reply was that FOS one (sorry that doesn’t narrow it down much) that contained the famous “crazed jackals” charge.

• twinfan1 says:

If you’re really crazed enough to think you’ve been right about ANYTHING Smith-related, we’ll need to have a loony-mobile summoned. He’s outlasted QBs that have died of old age. Every QB who has touched down here was better than Smith according to you. And you REALLY think an apology is due you because the umpteenth guy who is going to take Smith’s job has played well for a couple games? There will be no determination of the move’s success until after the playoffs- if then. See, if you hadn’t burned your “AS” monogrammed man-bra in 2005, it would be worth a pretty penny now..

Twin, as you are so wont to say on the Flap, you can’t determine events after the fact. You make a pitching change that goes wrong, there’s no way to know what the starter would have done in that spot.

The switch has been made. No way to know how Smith would have handled these games.

MNF has turned out to be a fair contest. Hard to predict anymore where PHI is concerned. Last week I picked 13 of 14, this week I got the Niners and maybe a few other slam dunks. Can’t make much of a living like that.

LeSean McCoy might get extended concussion recovery time if that Brown kid can start protecting the ball a little better. When has that ever happened?

33. twinfan1 says:

Don’t you have archives, Chuckles? I know some of you guys predicted they’d go to the Super Bowl.,Anyone calling that can’t weasel out and say it’s not expected with the far better QB taking over.

34. winder says:

As a Niner fan I’m thrilled about the way we played in NO. NO threw everything they had as us and it wasn’t good enough. Both those pick sixes were great defensive plays and if Ginn didn’t give up a gift we might have sealed this game earlier. The Dome is one tough place for visiting teams and our offense took it in stride. Cappy showed himself to be a real professional throughout the whole game. I think Cappy’s potential is way over the top.

I think that kid has the potential to be a star QB for us, the only way to know is to play him but I can say the team has lost little to nothing already in making this switch.

So I guess Smith lost the NFCCG last year. According to you, Twin.

Yeah, Mike. Cappy is the sole determining factor the rest of the year. The defense doesn’t matter. Or special teams. Or the WRs Gore or anyone else.

Go with that.

37. twinfan1 says:

Chuckles, can you read? I didn’t put out their ratiionale for the change Now I damn well know that some of you picked them for the Super Bowl. You can’t weasel out 11 weeks in, with an 8-2-1 record, pal. If you picked it Alex, it’s still your pick, There couldn’t be a more pathetic cop out than what you’re trying..
    Flavor called 14-2. Surely he didn’t predict 14-2 and one and out. All of you suddenly having ZERO expectations for Colin is unbelievable and totally BS. Make a call, boys. Don’t Chuckle-out: how far does Colin take them in the playoffs- forget Smith. Kappy is THE MAN. speak up- how far is he taking them? You made predictions with Smith as the QB- won’t wash to take Weasel Parkway now..

I think they have a decent chance to make the Superbowl and probably a better chance than they had with Alex. I am not so dumb as to say if that doesn’t happen then Kap is not as good as Alex or vise versa, that’s idiotic. Going to the Superbowl has thousands of variables to it of which 1 will be the play of Kap or Alex. The team has a higher expectation than last year since it was almost in the Superbowl but it’s just that, an expectation, a goal.
      You persist with this garbage long after any shred of reasoned argument was beaten to death.
      How about you?

38. twinfan1 says:

So say it, I ‘m not asking for a Super Bowl prediction, did you read the post? – How far will they go with Kap as the QB? What’s unreasonable? Surely you made a prediction of how they’d do when Alex was presumed to be the QB. Now it’s not fair to ask how they’ll do with a better man taking over and sitting pretty at 8-2-1?

Yeah I read the post Twin. You set up what you consider a reasonable scenario that fits your twisted interpretation of what constitutes a milestone that shows which QB in your estimation would be better and/or if they don’t meet this imaginary goal that the QB alone is able to achieve you expect everyone else to go along with this warped notion.
      I wrote what I thought.

• twinfan1 says:

That’s bullshit- you know the roster, how the defense has performed, etc. It isn’t just about the QB. It’s about how you think the TEAM will do after the change. That’s a not a gotcha, !2. It’s a simple, straight forward. question.

I have better things to do than this right now, it has become labored and frankly boring.

40. barleyfreak says:

“The Niners had no guarantee of going as deeply into the playoffs this season with Alex as they did last season with him.”

This.

I think I have figured it out:

If CK starts we might go to the SB. And lose. Or win! Or not go to the SB.
    If AS starts we might go to the SB. And lose. Or win! Or not go to the SB.

And we won’t have a flying fuck of an idea what WOULD have happened had it been the other.

• twinfan1 says:

Except the reason given for the change is that Kap gives them the better chance. If you guys wanna go with “it doesn’t matter who the QB is” , I’m fine with that..all the trumpets blaring for Colin and it’s now “hey, whatever ” ?

• phil fan says:

No, Saint Alex has a concussion was the ‘ reason given’. Really twin you will not die if you can finally admit Alex is just human and limited like all of us.

41. twinfan1 says:

You Smaters have a rat in the room, maybe 2. Alex has three votes and I didn’t vote twice. BTW, the question should have been who we think should start, not who we think will start.
    And Chuckles, try a post not about Alex- just one day. Let’s see who handle it. Meditation, herbal teas, excercise, you can do it, Chuckie.

Hmmm, good advice. Why dont YOU follow it Mr. Twinfan??????

As I recall, I predicted the Niners making it to the super bowl and playing New England. I had the Niners going to the SB the year before, too. But that’s just me making some dumbass fan prediction and trying to stay positive. It’s the same shit in Phil’s prediction contest each week. All of us have the record we predicted (whatever that was) but every single week we all pick the Niners to win (except Dennis, Grumpy one week and me last week). Now that doesn’t add up, does it? Or did we all predict they would go 16-0?
    There is only one way to determine if Kap was the right move or not and I’ll type slowly so you can follow along: It will all depend on their final game. Depending on the game they finally lose to end their season (assuming they don’t go all the way) what was Kap’s role in the loss? Was there anything he could have done to prevent it? Or did he have a terrible game and throw 3 picks? Was there any other single player (like KW last year) who could be blamed for the loss? Or was it a general team loss? Or was the opposing team just better than us? The only 2 people I know who attribute wins and losses solely to the qb are you and Denny. And obviously, Denny more than you. But the one thing you both share in common is an obsession with the quarterback position. It consumes both of you. And it’s annoying as fuck to the rest of the bloggers to hear nothing but the same shit out of you two day in and day out…………..

As I said, my expectations haven’t changed. They didn’t change with the QB switch. My prediction last year was 9-7, one playoff win, and then done. I didn’t think they’d get the bye and reach the NFCCG, but they did what they did, and they almost made it.

This year I expected 11-5 and a trip to the Super Bowl. Like Harbaugh said a few days ago, he foresaw a better team this year that could end up with a worse record than last year. Due to strength of schedule and some tough road games.

Is Harbaugh’s decision to replace Smith solely based on the 2 losses to the Gaints? Well, could be. Does he see more upside in Cappy’s game? Well, if he starts Cappy tomorrow, I’d think the answer is yes. Does it suck for Alex? Yes. he did nothing to lose the job. Except be on a team with a possible up-and-coming star QB.

• twinfan1 says:

Weaselville was for Flavoro. You’re saying you still think they’ll make the Super Bowl, correct? So you’re the first to make a call since Kap took over. That wasn’t hard, was it? As I’ve said, I really don’t like to predict failure for my team. I think the decision to bench Smith was wrong on many levels and I think Harbaugh will regret doing it. Colin seems like a nice young man and I think he has seemed very embarassed about Harbaugh’s handling of this. I will add that his “Valley Boy” accent is like fingernails on a chalkboard, but I digress.I think they’ll finish 11-4-1, Smith will end up the QB for the postseason and there will be a reunion of the Harbaugh Bros in the Super Bowl. It will be a defensive battle but Alex is a better QB than Flacco and one drive will be the decider.17-13 Niners. MVP Carlos Rogers.As always when a guy makes a detailed pick, there’s plenty to be wrong about and I don’t have to worry about hearing about them. You’ll always be there for me, Chuckles..

45. twinfan1 says:

As I said-Weaselville.
    Stop lying about what my position on team play is- I’ve spent seven years explaning to the Smaters that while the QB is the most important player, he’s also the one most dependant on the play of others- so discontinue your fabrication about that. One of the regulars put up a chart showing why *Smith* can’t win the Super Bowl- nothing to do with team. It’s always been that way- it’s all Smith for these idiots when we lose, all a team effort when we win. Hypocritical and ignorant.
    Look,Flavoro-you didn’t put any quailfiers in about how you thought the team would do when you thought Smith was going to be the QB. This is simple- forget the issue of “fault”, why are you and the rest of this crew refusing to say how you think they’ll do now the Kappy is the QB? It shouldn’t be hard. Make a pick.
    BTW, your favorite poster is hinting at another of his “cat drippings” posts. As to you “respectfully” asking fo ra ink, I know you and everything about what you really mean. You made that same “respectful” request before- when you think I can’t produce one.
    Anyway- make that pick . I’ll make the question even easier, we’ll even leave out the QB, it’s just so unfair to put expectations on Colin.
    What is your prediction for the rest of the season for the Niners?

I don’t think anyone here lowered their expectations with Cappy now in there. What they are arguing is your simpleton one that if Cappy doesn’t deliver a trophy, then the decision to replace Smith was wrong.

If that’s your stance, then Smith lost the NFCCG last year. Can’t have it both ways.

You said it, not him, skippy. Watch it.

• twinfan1 says:

Dude, the implication that they have to go further than Smith took them ain’t mine, pal. It’s the raison d’etre for the move.However, many observers think it makes no diff who the QB is- they win or lose on defense and the ground game.I don’t totally agree with that, it also relies on what the Smaters spit on- a minimum of mistakes. Colin has pretty much avoided them thus avoided them thus far, Moss saved an int in the NO end zone, fortunately Williams didn’t turn around and thus failed to catch the pass that would have ended the Ram game with a loss, we’ve only lost one of his 3 fumbles, etc. Colin plays a higher risk game than Smith does and the gamble is that his big plays will negate the mistakes. I don’t think they will so I don’t think we’ll have to worry about him besting what the team did with Alex at the helm for the playoffs last year. Kap will be on the bench, hopefully with his helmet on so he can learn the why’s of the play calling..
        FYI, the ESPN poll with over 15,000 votes goes with Kap 60% to 40% for Alex.

• Flavor says:

Most unbiased people without an agenda would just read my 8:04am and agree with it. You either didn’t understand it because I didn’t type slowly enough for you or you’re just never gonna get it. So rather than keep explaining the same shit to you I’ll just say this: go re-read my 8:04am a few times, take notes and ask questions respectfully about the things you don’t understand. I’ll be happy to explain them to you in the same tone that you give to the question…….

Twin, Flav didn’t change his pick with the QB change. He’s picking NE and SF in the Super Bowl.

I’m starting to think a lot of this has to do with the outcomes of the last 2 Giants games. Smith and co. lost both times. The deal is to go with Cappy this time. Now is just getting Cappy ready for that game.

If they are going with Cappy now, barring a major implosion, they will stick with Cappy in the playoffs. Otherwise, there’s no reason to have Cappy starting now.

Shit, it’s 52% to 48% Cappy. Just like the goddamn election.

Ok, so this is where Harbaugh needs to get better with, making a decision and announcing it! When Smit was questionable but ready, he made the right call, not announcing his starting QB. Now though he should have made the announcement!! He should have made it this morning. All the sports guys, ESPN, etc say that the NFL has changed, it is no longer a start does not lose his starting position due to injury. Teams should go with their best player. Twin it is not that Alex is not a good player. It just that Colin is the best player at QB. With that said lets not forget the D won the game for the Niners. If those 2 picks had not happened we would have seen just how good Colin is and how creative Harbaugh would have been on offense. 2 games Colin has shown an extreme up side to him starting. Alex has already proven what he can do. It is still IMO, Alex starts. 13-3 was no fluke with Alex at the helm.

• chipower9 says:

I posted this on the Flap. I have no problem with how Harbaugh is handling the situation, as long as the players are getting the info ASAP. He can hold out for as long as he possibly can on announcing it to the public/media and I have no problem with that…keep the opposition guesing…makes it more of a challenge to game-plan for a QB.

and the 2 missed FG Kevin?

Harbaugh said he’d tell us droolers tomorrow who the starting QB is.

How do you like the new header? Since we are turing into a gossip ciolumn, I figured I’d go with the gay-ass Twilight theme.

50. chipower9 says:

Well, it was bad enough to lose K. Williams for the year, but all the latest reports point to Kendall Hunter also being lost for the year.

51. twinfan1 says:

Chuck has just said that Colin is starting to get him ready for an anticipated game with NY in the playoffs. Unless he’s also saying they don’t expect him to better Smith’s performance, and lead the team to a WIN, and he’s definiely NOT saying that, he’s saying the same fucking thing I’ve been attacked for saying.

52. dirtnrocksnreno says:

This is almost as dumb as the Posey in LF argument. Almost!

I started in left field once. Once!

• twinfan1 says:

And that was almost as dumb as not realizing why LF is such a good idea. Almost!
      Would you still think it was dumb if Flavoro thought it was good idea (Posey in LF)?Just wondering.Often I’ve found that if it’s my idea, it’s dumb.If someone proposes it, it’s a durn good thought. That doesn’t bother me, I find it amusing.

Well, they ain’t starting Cappy now to go back to Smith in the playoffs, skippy. Just what have you been sayng, Twin? You say a million different things and then attribute them to Maiocco. I guive up. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you’ve been saying the Niners should stick with Alex, and if Cappy doesn’t win the Super Bowl, then the move was a failure. Irregardless of how the loss comes to pass.

If Harbaugh comes out and says he’s going back to Smith (as he hinted), then Harbaugh is dancing with Mr Brownstone. He’s a passenger on the looney train.

Here’s what Flav said.

Flavor says:
    November 27, 2012 at 8:04 am (Edit)

I posted my *prediction* earlier today—it was the prediction I made at the beginning of the year. And then I explained to the simpler section of this blog why predictions like that are so stupid. I don’t put a win or a loss 100% on the QB performance (unlike 2 other people here). Whether it will turn out that a QB switch was the right move or not won’t be determined until the end of the year. It would be that way for Smith or for Kap and it will have nothing to do with whether we win the freaking super bowl or not, lol. Now, you could call that a weasel answer or just me trying to answer a third-grade question with an adult answer……
    But I definitely think that Kap is a better QB for us now and I do think he improves are chances of winning a game. But Kap can’t play defense. Kap can’t fumbled the ball once it’s in the running back’s hands. It’s so unbelievably simplistic to take that approach to evaluating whether this switch was good or bad it’s almost laughable.
    But sure, I’ll play this dumbass game with him: when they turn football into 1:1 where it’s just the opposing QB’s taking the field to compete against each other then I will definitely predict that we win *that* super bowl with Kap out there instead of Alex…………

• chipower9 says:

Good summation, Flav. And I agree. Who the QB is will not decide how far this team goes…there are 21 other starters, and a slew of special team guys that also figure in the equation.

And I also feel that Kaep gives the team a better chance (I think he has a better suite of tools to work with when compared to Alex). Alex has done a great job, I just think Colin gives them a better chance. And I am sure that is what is driving Harbaugh’s decision. He may have stepped on his dick the way he has handled it, but I still think he is one of the most brilliant young coaches in the game. And I also think he could give a flying fuck what the media or fans think of his demeanor.

The whole fucking point is, no one knows how the alternate scenario would have gone.

If the Niners stick with Cappy, nothing can be said regarding how they would have done with Smith. And vice versa. Twin, you can bitch and moan all you want about track record this and scenario that, but in the end everyone has to abide the decision. Or bail, or cry, or whatever. If they go back to Smith, then the usual crew of Smith doggers will magically reappear should they fall short.

Harbaugh may have come to the realization that the future is now, and he HAS to go with who he thinks gives them the better chance. Smith be damned.

We’ll find ouit tomorrow.

The dude abides . . .

56. chipower9 says:

I like Brian Billick and in this week’s version of the power rankings, he has the Niners number one, again. Here is what he had to say about the QB situation (and I agree whole-heartedly with him):

“You hate to see a player lose his starting role due to injury, especially one that has been as successful as Alex Smith the past two seasons. But backup quarterback Colin Kaepernick gives this offense an explosive quality Smith couldn’t.” Nuff said.

57. Grumpy Guy says:

Fuck. Trying to read this thread with a terrible fucking cold is utterly surreal.

Not that I think the cold is responsible, mind you.

58. twinfan1 says:

I have never said the QB is 100% responsible for wins and losses. It’s the Smaters who claim that. Pulling a Rove and lying often and loudly won’t make it true.
    With the Smaters spending years battling Fear and Puddinghead for the pole of any QB who might permanently send Alex away for good, the dumbass notion that suddenly it’s not important that Colin better what Smith has acccomplished with the team is ridiculous.

59. chipower9 says:

Not sure to whom the comment is addressed, but I know I have never said it’s not important that Colin better what Smith has accomplished. I appreciate all Alex has done for the team. And I think Harbaugh could have done a much better job with this QB situation. But I do feel that Kaeperneck gives the team a better chance to win.

• twinfan1 says:

And I can’t imagine anyone begrudging you that opinion. Hell, I remember when Chuck Noll thought Terry Hanratty or “Jefferson Street Joe” were better options than Terry Bradshaw..
      Unrelated to this stirring discussion, “Bradshaw’s teammates wondered about their quarterback as well. When he once called a power sweep on third-and-30, two offensive linemen threatened to punch him unless he changed the play..”
      Just thought that was funny. Came upon it while Googling Bradshaw in hopes of causing more trouble..
      Anybody remember Joe Gilliam? Guy had hell of an arm, wild as hell though. Think he died a few years back.Maybe I’ll look that up.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Gilliam was the starter the year they won their first Super Bowl, until Bradshaw replaced him. He was 4-1-1 through six games when Bradshaw got the job from him.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Gilliam had pretty awful stats, mind you. Terry Hanratty also started one game that year. He went 2 of 15, with 1 TD and 3 picks. One of them was a Pick Six. Didn’t matter. He won his only start that year by ten points. The Steelers were so ridiculously good on defense and rushing that year, Nate “Coloring Books iz mah friend” Davis could have quarterbacked them to the playoffs.

You referenced Maiocco, who said exactly that, to boster your point.

Why?

twinfan1 says:
    November 26, 2012 at 7:41 pm (Edit)

From Maiocco again:

61. twinfan1 says:

There’s no question that opinion favors Jimbo’s decision. That doesn’t make it the right decision.Even the dimmest bulbs here would have to agree that the verdict isn’t in. Although I see that Chuckles is trying to say it doesn’t matter if Kap sucks because we don’t how Smith would do. JHC.

It doesn’t make it the wrong decision either.

I’m done with this.

• twinfan1 says:

No it doesn’t Chuckles. It’s my OPINION that it’s wrong. Doesn’t matter what the polls show or what any of us think. We be about to find out over the next several games.
      But I’m cool with being done with it. Let’s talk about Tomsula. How many HCs never lost a game? Must be a few.
      As you’ve undoubtedly noticed, much to your delight, I have even more time than usual on my hands.I’m completely by myself for a few days and laid up for non-serious reasons. I’ve decided to spend a lot of time with you, Chuckie, Also watching football games on NFL Rewind, old Project Runway shows, life’s a bowl of cherries.
      Serious question- you’ve mentioned problems on the WordPress sites- any other ones affected? Could a broswer issue. Is it resolved?

63. Bozo says:

At the risk of being wrong (which I’ll find out tomorrow) or being called a bunch of names (I’ll probably find that out sooner), I think Smith will be named the starter. I have a feeling, and without any knowledge of actual conversations within the team, that last week the Niners wanted to err on the side of caution with Smith AND find out what the Kapster could do in a hostile environment. This is why I don’t think Smith said a word. If this is true, IMO it was a good fucking idea. Smith has been concussed twice in a short amount of time, another one may put him out for the rest of the year. Knowing if your second string QB could take over now instead of during the playoffs, seems like a wise move to me. Nobody outside of the locker room has any idea what has been said, not the beat writers, the National guys or anyone. So I’m going to wait and see what Coach H. says tomorrow.

For the record, after watching this team in the Playoffs last year, I thought Smith and company could go to the SB this year (and that hasn’t changed this year). After watching Colin the last two weeks I still feel this team could go to the SB even if he starts.

At this point, with all the smoke screens and deflection flying around, I won’t be shocked by either outcome, Bozo.

I thoght I said yesterday that I thought Harbaugh would Choose Smith. But my brain has been scrambled by these last 2 days of back-and-forth.

64. Chico says:

Niners just signed Bowman to a 5 year deal.. Our LB unit will be intact for years to come.

Green Bay didn’t hatch a QB controversy over Flynn’s record setting performance. Obviously, Smith ain’t Rodgers or we wouldn’t be engaged here. Despite vehement protestations from Alex’s mother and other supporters, Kaep has shown he brings too much to the table to bench after two wins in two big games against tough teams.

If Harbaugh is second-guessed now, it’s nothing compared to the howling over a Smith loss after this.

Loyalty to players in the NFL is a fiction for dreamers that want to believe life and pro sports are fairy tale enterprises.

Apples and hand grenades comparison there, NoFear.

Rodgers has a ring and a track record of being a top-flight QB. Smith? Not quite there. Yet. If Smith wins the Super Bowl this year, there will still be a call to replace him next year.

• NoFear49er says:

And that’s precisely the point, isn’t it? If Smith was that good there’d be no controversy. He’s not.

• twinfan1 says:

Huh? The entire controversy is because Jimbo replaced a successful QB.If Smith had been playng poorly or the team was losing, there would have been no controversy.

Twin, it’s only on Flav’s blog where the formatting goes away. It doesn’t happen anywhere else.

Thanks . . .

New thread is up ……………………………………………………………………………………