Da Bearss . . . On Monday Night No Less

UPDATE: Alex Smith was cleared, and participated in, non-contact drills, so the likelihood is that he’ll be ready to go Monday night. No further word on Jay Cutlet.

So, here we sit after the near debacle of a home loss to the lowly Rams (or the rowly Lambs), set to face the Chicago Bears, their vaunted defense and their 7-2 record. Both teams come into the game with QBs on the shelf as of now due to concussions in their last games. Culter got whacked pretty hard against the Texans, and Smith took a couple big shots in the Ram game. This game will likely do something to determine the playoff seeding, as the Niners are 1/2 a game behind the Bears as it stands now. A Niner win puts us 1/2 a game over them, and would settle any tiebreaker should Chicago tie someone else this season. Hey, it could happen.

As it is, the Niners are riding their 2 1/2 game win streak, while Chicago is coming off an ugly loss in the rain in Chi-town after reeling off 6 straight wins. Are the Bears for real? I’m not really convinced, but then again, who expected us to tie with the Rams? The Bears are not very special on offense, but Brandon Marshall is having a huge year as he’s already over 900 yards this season. Matt Forte is also doing well with with Michael Bush and they have combined for 855 yards on the ground.

The Niners? Man, they are all over the place. They stop the run until they can’t. They keep teams from scoring until they give up 460 yards and 24 points to the Rams.  I’d like to think the Niners can stop the Bears at will, and with Campbell going, they should lean on the run a little more than they would with Cutlet in there, but Chicago’s porous line may work to their advantage, as Campbell throws pretty well on the run, and he should be running for his life this game. Remember the last time the Bears played here, Cutlet threw 5 ints, and the Niners barely won 10-6 under the wonderfully stagnant Mike Singletary offense.

I think the Niners should shake off the rust for a win, but it’ll be close.

17-13 Niners.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

36 Responses to Da Bearss . . . On Monday Night No Less

Sheesh. Stupid tags . . . And the pic of the new stadium came out weird . . .

2. Chico says:

Wow, the stadium is going up fast… The frame is always the quickest to build (steel goes quickly), it’s the guts and the goodies that take most of the time.

Looks like there’s a good chance Alex will start on Monday, per Schefter.

If ya didn’t see it, Alex Smith was cleared for and participated in non-contact drills, so he looks like he’s ready to go Monday night. No word on Cutler.

Still a bit premature to say he is going to play Monday but if it is up to him he will for sure, tough kid.

4. twinfan1 says:

NoFear is trying to compare this to Nolan/Smith and with Nolan questioning Smith’s toughness in front of the whole team. I’m not going to engage him with the facts about went down resulting in Smith returning too early and reinjuring his shoulder, jeopardizing his career. What I will say is that anyone questioning Smith’s toughness is a fucking idiot. Further, one of the reasons an independent neurologist must clear a player after a concussion is because team doctors have had the unfortunate habit of being more interested in getting a player back on the field rather than concern about his long term health.

• twinfan1 says:

The team hacks are a big part of the reason close to 4.000 ex-players and next of kin have filed suit against the NFL and why the new protocols have been instituted. People should be in jail, not just facing civil suits.

I don’t know what NF is comparing but one thing I will say about Smith is he is a tough kid willing to take a lot of punishment, nothing soft about him in those regards as far as I’m concerned.

• NoFear49er says:

Twinfan, you drag the debate here with your straw man version? I would have said that was beneath you a few years ago, maybe not so much anymore.

You were beside yourself with outrage at Nolan when the medical staff cleared Smith to play with his injured shoulder. When it was pointed out to you by me that Nolan was relying on his medical staff for their medical determination you said it was Nolan’s responsibility to keep him off the field.

I’m asking you why you aren’t hurling the same outrage at Harbaugh for considering Smith starting when apparently some medical professional(s) aren’t convinced it’s a good idea? Let alone the laymen in the fan population.

All pro QBs are tough. It’s the nature of the job. Some young men need to be challenged to step up to leadership and manhood. Nolan, in my opinion, was trying to get Smith to fight for the leadership role on the team by example. It is Nolan’s style to call his players out in front of each other. Some appreciate it, probably some don’t. But anyone who’s ever had to get young men to face adversity and stare it down has his own methods of motivating them to do it, based on previous success I’d guess.

• twinfan1 says:

Smith has been cleared by an independent neurolgist, quite a differernt matter than by the team hacks, It’s the conduct of those team hacks that led to the thousands of suits filed against the NFL and the new protocols insuring that Dr. Dan the Bandage Man is the not the guy making neurological decisions.

• NoFear49er says:

by the way, my “YAC argument” is a statement of fact to point out the depth of throws in Smith’s passing game. It has to do with the way opposing teams defend us, not just your continuing effort to convince everyone of Smith’s stellar reputation as an elite passer, as you evidently think.

• twinfan1 says:

I’ve never said Smith is one of the elite QBs, so stop fucking lying about what I post. You still drag out a comment I made in 2009 calling ONE pass Smith threw as “brilliant” distorting that to say that that I called him a brilliant QB.
        Your YAC comments are completely ignorant. Before last year you haters were saying the receivers didn’t get YAC because Smith didn’t throw accurately enough for them to get yards after the catch, Now, he dissed for it.
        Bulletin, pal: the WCO was designed to be QB friendly- high percentage, short passes to receivers in space. YAC was practically invented for Jerry Rice.

Hey! The new stadium is coming together nicely. Looks like it will be very intimate with the fans right on top of the action. It’s a shame the world’s going to end is just a little over five weeks…

6. barleyfreak says:

This really IS an important game though. In conference, road games upcoming against tough teams… I agree Chuck — I’m not convinced CHI is as good as their record. Nice Defense fantasy football points, — but hard to depend on that shit. But then again, our offense doesn’t really scare anyone.

7. Da Bearss . . . On Monday Night No Less. So who you gonna call? Step right up gentlemen:

Chuck: 17-13 Niners. I think the Niners should shake off the rust for a win, but it’ll be close.

barleyfreak: 20-14 Niners. No ass kicking prediction from this end this week.Close game. Kind of hard to gauge the up and down. If Smith starts, 20-14, Niners. If CK starts, or even sees action 27-21. I figure he’s good for an extra long heave/run, and a pick six.

Phil: 20-17 Niners. A close one. Alex has a TD and the D has a pick 6. Akers redeems himself w/ 2 FGs. If its Kap…hell I dunno.

• NoFear49er: 20-16 Niners. This week’s contest is what you’d expect from two top defenses with weak passing games. Probably the week’s lowest O/U, if you care about that aspect of the game. Their backup QB should present as many or more opportunities for our D as Cutler would have. still they have a running game with Forte and Bush and Campbell has an arm. Pretty sure they watched the Rams film, too. I hope for a solid win in a battle in the trenches. 20-16 Niners.

Still defending Nolan, NoFear? Criminy. He fucked over his shot here almost as bad as Singletary. But, he’s on track to getting another shot. I’m sure he’ll play it differently next time around.

Anyhow, I was at the NO game when Smith came back from the initial injury. And it had me seriously questioning Nolan’s sanity. Beyond the fact that the Niner line was letting everyone get in for multiple hits on Smith, his throws were erratic and off target all day. Yes, NoFear, more than usual. Halfway through the 2nd quarter, most of the people sitting around me were of a mind that he wasn’t right. I certainly felt that way. Midway through the 3rd quarter, after plenty more brutal hits, Nolan finally took Smith out. He played 2 more games (a close loss ot Atl, and the Monday night 24-0 debacle after Dick Nolan died) with his injured shoulder, but missed the next 27.5 games.

The funny thing is, no one at any time, except for Nolan, ever questioned Smith’s toughness. The players, to a man, have always felt he’s tough and has taken a ton of shots over the years.

YAC? Well, 3 years ago and beyond the knock was Smith never got YAC because he wasn’t accurate enough. Now it’s held up as some sort of dig since he’s getting it now? Even funnier I seem to remember the Niners throwing TONS of 7 yard slants to John Taylor and Jerry Rice for 50-85 yard TDs. The reason Montana lasted until the 3rd round was because of the lack of arm strength. He was perfect for Walsh’s dink and dunk WCO offense. Yeah,. they took shots downfield, but for a long time, the underneath passes were there all the time, and Montana took them.

9. twinfan1 says:

I remember the NO game as well. The announcers were absolutely astounded that he played at all and practrically livid that Nolan left him in for the abuse. People forget that Nolan wanted him to play in the previous game against NY. Facts turned out to be that both he and Nolan knew he played despite the injury not healing. It turned out he suffered three torn ligaments while trying to play through the pain. After an awful game against Seattle that ended his season, Julian Peterson said this “”I thought he wasn’t ready to go,I thought he just tried to tough it out for the team, and it really wasn’t a smart move for the team and for himself. He tried to do it for the team, and wasn’t really ready.”
    Meanwhile, Mikey had instituted a “code red” to blackball Smith in the 49er locker room for being soft. Nolan was a pathetic coach and worse-a pathetic human being. There are plenty of legit arguments about Smith as a QB- but none as to his toughness and qualities as a man.

10. twinfan1 says:

Now I’m ready to talk about Ray McDonald. Guys? Guys?….OK, Smith it is…

Chuck, besides being full of shit and sounding like an echo of your ‘twin’ sister (or is it the other way around, it’s hard to tell sometimes) how do you forget the fact that Smith said he wanted to play?

Nolan apparently hurt the kid’s feelings and instead of saying no he went to his dad, his agent and the press to say Nolan was a big meanie. The press, being the press, made it a huge deal, and the unquestioning sheep followed.

Twinfan’s been hanging off Smith’s jock ever since. And wrapped up his commentary of nearly every game last year with some childlike praise of Smith’s brilliance under center.

Walsh’s WCO was predicated on timing passes. Something Smith can do very little of. The reads were deep to short, not Smith’s style of flat route, hook route, dump off.

Oh goodie. It’s the NoFear/Twinfan Alex Smith show!!!! Brought to you for the 3,597th time by the Solar company. Not a solar company, THE Solar company . .. . . ..

Throws to the flat aren’t timing passes. Montana threw about 3,000 of those. He was also one of the best ever at throwing slants.

Everyone wants to play, NoFear, for good, bad or indifferent. Which is why the ‘soft’ label didn’t really apply to Smith. You can’t have it both ways, skippy. Why would Nolan call Smith soft if he wanted to get back out there in the first place? Well, I’ll tell you. Because Nolan wanted to get Smith killed. There, I said it. He figured that since he drafted the coach-killer-in-the-making in the first place, he decided, it’s me or him. I’ll call him a pussy and see what happens. You know what, NoFear? It didn’t work. Mainly because the players were on Smith’s side. Why? Well, because he put up with Nolan’s shit for a long time before finally speaking out. Whatever. Get the fuck over it. I’m still pissed at Preston Riley, but it doesn’t consume my soul every goddamn day.

Besides, I could give a flying FUCK what happened FIVE FUCKING YEARS AGO. It’s over. It’s done. Move on already. With any luck for you, Nolan will be hired by another desperate team looking for a hard-ass inflexible coach (can you say J-E-T-S?) to whip a team into shape. Beware Mark Sanchez. Or Tim Tebow.

And you can break out your suit to honor The (empty) Suit . . .

• NoFear49er says:

Chuck, ever the talking donkey, you’re sick of the story but can’t resist throwing fuel on its flames. You’re full of shit and full of yourself. Or is that just redundant?

You’d rather just launch into your rant than address the question. So don’t pretend you’re oh so offended by another chance to read your own spew.

Why was it Nolan’s responsibility to keep Smith off the field when Smith and the medical staff said he could play, but not Harbaugh’s now?

In other news (without the words ALEX or SMITH in them), Jim Harbaugh was admitted to Standford Hospital for a minor procedure to correct an irregluar heartbeat.

Coach Harbaugh is not at the facility today under doctor’s orders. He is having a minor procedure done at Stanford Hospital today for an irregular heartbeat. We anticipate that he will be back at the facility tomorrow, but do not have any further information to share at this time.

In my estimation Nolan was what the franchise needed at the time of his hiring. He turned out to be a pretty good talent evaluator (some misses of course) he was a solid front office guy and face of the franchise. He wasn’t prepared for the depths that the team had sunk to and I don’t think he was ready to be a head coach, but he did make the team better during his time.
    I think he is probably ready for another at bat as a head coach, I’m sure he learned some lessons with the 49ers. To be fair he had one heck of a job to do when he took over, not an easy task and ultimately he wasn’t up to the job, I’m not sure any one man was.

Well, NoFear, as far as I’ve heard, Smith hasn’t been cleared by the independent nuerologists to resume playing. There’s a difference there, eh? Smith may have been cleared by the 49ers staff lo those 5 years ago, but watching him play, it was obvious that there was something wrong. Smith may have not wanted to admit it, but that wouldn’t make him soft, would it? He wanted to try to play through the injury, for better or worse. Did he learn from that? Maybe. Fast forward to now, and you have independent nuerologists looking into his head injury making the call. See a difference there? I’m sure you do . . .

As has come to pass, skippy, medical decisions revolving around players and team medical staffs are looked at with a less cavalier attitude. Especially in the case of head/neck/back injuries. Do players get 2nd opinions instead of nodding compliance with whatever the team staff says? More now than in previous years, that’s for sure. Players nowadays can’t help but hear about the early deaths and crippling injuries a lot of these older players are currently battling, so they just might be thinking a little further into the future than they normally might..

And, the truth of the matter IS, the players were on Smith’s side. Then and now.

And again we go on about Alex Smith. It never ends with you.

If “ifs” and “buts” were Peyton and Manning we’d all have a merry Christmas.

In the waiting room at PT today they were showing “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.” Chuck should quit trying to kick the football that Lucy’s holding and just go up and kick that little whore of a bitch in the goddamn ass. He’d feel a whole helluva lot better afterwards than if he just kicked the football.

I’m never starting another fantasy player on a Thursday night ever again. They never score me any goddamn pts.

So I guess coach is going to be alright? Sounds like Jimbo will be back at the office tomorrow. Irregular heartbeat? I can’t shed any personal light on that one. Never dealt with that issue.

18. Still not gonna touch the Alex Third Rail (you touch, you die). I’m worried about da Bears: we gonna pull it out against them MoFos or what? Frank is cranked up to “face their best” it seems. We gonna run on Urlacher and Briggs a bunch? Use Gore, Walker, Hunter as receivers and juke the big tough LBs outta their jocks?

What’s our best plan on Offense???

New thread is up. Bet tyou can’t guess who it’s about?