Well, Draft Talk Anyone?

The world is still at a snails-pace in the recently actuated 2012 NFL season. The big doings coming is the NFL draft on April 26th. The mock draft shows are cranking up, and Mel Kiper Jr’s bulletproof hair will be seen all over the airwaves shortly.

It sure is a MUCH different feel drafting at #30 than it is at #7 for the 49ers and their fans. This team, in one short season, has gone from a desperate team with a bunch of needs to one that is looking to shore up a couple positions. Here are the the $9ers pick slots:

1st round – 30th  pick
2nd round – 61st pick
3rd round – 92nd pick
4th round – 125th pick
5th round – 165th pick
6th round – 199th pick
7th round – 237th pick

No extras or even compensatory picks this year.

The defense amazingly returns all 11 starters from the 2011 season. The only need there would seem to be DB depth. The Niners did gain Perrish Cox, a CB/PR, but they lost Maidieu Williams, Reggie Smith, and Shawntae Spencer. None of them were high on the depth chart anyway, but they still need to get some warm bodies there as backups.  It would not be too surprising to see the Niners use their #30 pick to grab a safety or CB. The elite guys will be gone (Kirkpatrick, Claiborne, Barron, etc.), so Harrison Smith (SS) from Notre Dame looks like a possible. He’s big (6’2″-213) and fast, and is great in run support and coverage. A top-talent guy who has taken a credibility hit is Janoris Jenkins, the CB from  North Alabama. He’s a 1st round talent who has the dreaded ‘character issues.’ He’s a possible at 30.

Offensively, even the main weakness at the end of the season, WR, has been beefed up considerably with Mario Manningham and Randy Moss. Gone are Braylon Edwards and Joshua Morgan (who amazingly cost more than Super Mario). Even Swett Brain re-upped here. Still, the Niners will likely draft a WR or 3 in the middle rounds. Or even 2 if they want some Randy Moss West-LA-Fadeaway insurance.  The guys that could be available at WR in the 2 hole are Brian Quick, Appalachian St, a big target at 6’4″-220. He has what coaches like. Football speed. His 40 times are in the 4.5 range (not great), but he gets open downfield, has a definite size advantage over smaller CBs, and great leaping ability. Marvin McNutt is another big guy (6’3″-215) who isn’t a burner, but is an excellent route runner/possession-type WR who occasionally breaks big plays. On the flip side would be a guy like Chris Givens from Wake Forest. He’s a burner at 5″11-198 who runs 4.3 40’s. Great route-runner who has decent (not great) hands. Kind of a Brandon Lloyd type who makes great catches but drops some easy ones.

I won’t profess to even guess at who they are looking at in  rounds 3-7, but it will likely be something like RB, OL, DL, DB, WR.

The wildcard in all this would be Coby Fleener. I think if the Niners can grab him at 30, they should. He’s a big target in the red zone, and of course is very familiar with Jim Harbaugh. Delanie Walker has been fair to good, but Fleener would vault him over the top, and the Niners would have an instant mismatch down close with 2 (or even 3) TE sets. Having VD and Fleener as targets would be a good thing to have.

44 Responses to Well, Draft Talk Anyone?

1. barleyfreak says:

I think Fleener is gone. My guess, by round,

1 — G
    2 — RB
    3 — WR
    4 — S/CB
    5 — OLB
    6 — WR
    7 — DL

O line is a possibility. I’m surprised they haven’t picked up a FA guard yet. They could be banking on Kilgore or Boone (or even Person) being a capable fill-in. With draft help. Stanford’s O line has a couple guys that could slip down to 30.

3. irishman5574 says:

15 days, 1 hours, 48 minutes, and 48 seconds until the 2012 NFL DRAFT

Well Nip, in the Niners case, they are not drafting for need. They have a couple thin spots (O line, DB), but they are pretty set at most spots.

So, they are drafting for wants?

5. Alleykat says:

Move up and get DeCastro! The line would be set.for years.

They may not have to move up to get him. But if he’s around at 20 . . .

7. Alleykat says:

Chuck,,,Decastro is going top 15 for sure,even Fleener will be gone before they pick at 30.Either one would be great to have but they will need to move up to get either one.I would prefer DeCastro who”s a Beast and could be a All Pro RG in a season or 2.Fill’s a huge need.Not sold on Kilgore or Persons ,don’t think Harbaugh and his staff or either.

Fleener,love his size and athletisim and could turn into another Jimmy Graham,or Rob Grandkowski.So that’s very enticing as well.Damm im greedy lets sucker a team with picks and a player or 2 and get both for a early Christmas Gift.

Booke is the dark horse. He’s shown flashes of solid play.

Boone that is . . .

Yeah, he’s too small to move over. I don’t know. I suppose trading up is something they could do. Fleener may last, but DeCastro won’t.

In other words it would cost a lot to move up for DeCastro.

12. irishman5574 says:

I know the mock drafts change daily?? seems like it anyway, and depends on which one you are looking at. with that said I am looking at Walter Football .com

San Francisco 49ers: Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford

13. irishman5574 says:

San Francisco 49ers: Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State
    It wouldn’t hurt to add a receiver in the first few rounds. The 49ers need insurance once the Randy Moss experiment inevitably fails.

He originally had the Niners choosing Kelechi Osemele, G,

14. irishman5574 says:

That is the 61st pick

15. irishman5574 says:

The NFL.com has four different writers weighing in on the draft. here are who they think the Niners will go after with the 30th pick
    Kendall Reyes DT
    Jerel worthy DT
    Stephen Hill WR
    Dontari Poe DT
    So as you can see all sports Analysts are all over the board as to who will go where when.

Every other site has different guys as well. WalterFootball has Fleener. At least one guy there does. the rest? Eh. Safety is a possible, any number of guys.

Chances are we all get it wrong.

Poe is intriguing as hell. He was pegged as a mid/late 2nd round choice until he ran a 4.8 40 at the combine. No mean feat for a 350 lb. guy. They say he has motor and commitment issues, but criminy, coach him up and let him go . . .

Yeah, Irish I could see Quick in round 2. I think I said that in the thread . . . . . .

18. philippinefan says:

Draft talk, okay…Make that a San Miguel 1 liter willya bartender?

Thanks. Carry on gentlemen.

19. Alleykat says:

Yeah Dontari Poe could be a interesting pick if they went for future need at DT.Real nice size at 6’3 350.And Bench pressed 44 reps at 225lbs blew everyone away,does have motivation issues.so Harbaugh will just light a fire under his ass,so maybe not an issue.

One thing that bothers me alittle is I don’t see a resemblance to Edgar Allen Poe.

It’s a crapshoot no matter how you slice it.

• Alleykat says:

I don’ know Nip,Some crap slices up better then others,once you get past the stench.

• philippinefan says:

Trick is What is crap and what is da good stuff? Myself I dunno, can’t help here. I’ll just follow along with ya’ll. I’m with Nipper an Kat on this.

Sticking with the tried and true: ” Bartenda, none of that crapshoot stuff, give me the good draft stuff- San Miguel Draft.”

Yeah that’s a #1 pick.

Inebriation can sooth the nerves….relax the soul….lighten the spirit…and dull the brain.

21. Alleykat says:

Even though Justin Smith still has a high octane motor, he is

• Alleykat says:

33 and time will catch up to him,along with Spogs who’s no spring chicken either.Time to groom a replacement.I like tne motor and work ethics of DT Kendal Reyes over Edgar Allen Poe.They will go DT first or trade up for DeCastro my personal preference.Along with many smooth flowing tap San Miguels brewski’s with my drinking partner Capt Phil.

22. philippinefan says:

Here’s a ‘mock’ draft for ya:

1) San Miguel Draft future QB from the University of the Philippines- in the first round by 49er Phil
    2) Scrimshaw Pilsner out of Fort Bragg California- nifty little slot receiver
    3) Red Tail Ale from Ukiah/Booneville- gotta be the best ‘tailback’ no?

Got any more suggestions out there? Per standard procedure no one has to agree with anyone, change this around to suit. Maybe draft something ‘stout’ for the DL? Good, start yer mocking gentlemen.

You paying, I’m imbibing.

Phil, that sounds like a good “draft” to me. I haven’t done my homework yet, so if you have any more selections on “tap,” please send ’em my way.

My way? “My Way” was written by Paul Anka, Claude Francois Ravaux and Giles Thibault. Arranged by Don Costa. Recorded December 30, 1968.

• philippinefan says:

Hey Del Mar nice…yep we got ‘Rolling Rock’ Cartwright on tap fer one. See Kat below. Not sure about the Bonanza Boyz but rot gut whiskey? Been there and so have the Niners, yeeeech!

Frank done it his way fer sure. Gotta love it man. Joke over here where the song is popular is that “More singers have been shot tryin’ to croon this tune (badly) than any other, evah!”

Funny huh? True dat…

23. Alleykat says:

Well we do have”Rolling Rock” beer covered Phil,with the sigining of “Rock Cartwright”.Or atleast a cheap rot gut whiskey with the “Bonazna” boys ,Ben,Adam,Hoss and Little Joe.

I’ll say this — I’m hearing rumblings about the Niners drafting Stanford TE, Coby Fleener.

Ixnay on the Obycay Eenerflay. No can do. His Pig Latin name reminds me of sumthin’ straight out of “Star Wars.” I think that name might have hit the edititing floor for “Star Wars IV, A New Hope.”

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope. So was Peyton Manning, but I digress…
    I’ve never meet another man who doesn’t like to see Princess Leia in a bikini…

She’s an old lady now. Saw her in a recent independent film. Yikes age is cruel to actresses.

25. Alleykat says:

If the 49ers decide to not move up and get my #1 pick DavidDeCastro who’s stock is rising daily,now probably top 10, I really like WR Steven Hill GT 6’4 215 blazing speed 4.36 40yards,1.20 10 yards, great leaper,red zone threat,stretches the field,good blocker,could learn from short term Moss to hone his skills.
    With TE’s VD,Walker and Bynum coming back,don’t see the Niners

26. Alleykat says:

With TE’s VD,Walker and Bynum coming back,don’t see the Niners need for Fleener.

If they get Fleener, Walker is gone. It very well could happen. Harbaugh was TE crazy at ‘Furd and he ran a lot of 3 TE formations last year. Better options there would make it all the better.

Walker had a pretty nondescript year last year. With Fleener here he won’t be missed.