Free Agent Quarterback Alex Smith

For all that Alex Smith did last year, and for all the love that was spread around the team and the newly installed coaching staff in the surprising and nearly championshiop effort put forth by the 49ers, the fact that Alex Smith hasn’t signed a contract yet is flying under the national radar.  ESPN did show the list of FA QBs out there yesterday, with Matt Flynn leading the list. Smith being the 2nd guy. Typical, but it belies the fact that, at least nationally, most people think he’s staying put. Sure, you have guys like Tony Dungy, Jerry (watch me dance!) Rice, and plenty of others thinking they should go after Manning, but this is a non-starter as I (and countless others) have repeated ad infinitum.

But (there’s always a big but), as of now, there’s a bit of an impasse. Alex apparently wants a 5 year deal. The Niners are offering 3. There’s guaranteed money I’m sure they are hashing out as well. I’ve been saying for a while that I figured Smith to be the last signing. I still believe that, and I also believe that they will not let Smith hit the open market. I think a team like Seattle would push pretty hard to get Alex. Alex? Well how much fun would he have playing the Niners 2x a year? The team that put him through the 7 levels of hell, but also paid him tons of money to get the right to screw him over repeatedly. So, I think he signs a 4 year, $45 mill deal with like $15 mill guaranteed right around March 11th or 12th. I mean, look what Kolb got to suck ass in AZ. 4/$63 mill/$20 mill guaranteed. Granted, the Niners can very well say, look we’ve already paid you $78 million, and we’ve just now started making progress. I think they work this out.

As far as the others go (Rogers, Ginn, Morgan, etc), I thought they’d sign at least a few of these guys. I guess they are content to let them hit the market. Rogers, I’ve felt, caused the biggest turnaround for the DBs in that he usually took away the best WR on the other side of the ball. Without Rogers, Goldson does not have his big year. That being said, Rogers is 30 and there are guys like Brandon Carr and Cortland Finnegan who are younger and available. That being said, Rogers WILL get big money from someone like Jerry Jerk-off Jones. He’s not coming back.  Much is made of Rogers getting torched by Victor Cruz in the game, but in the 2nd half, Cruz had 2 catches for 17 yards. Rogers said he made an adjustment in how he covered him, and it apparently worked. I’d like to see him stay, but I think Jones gets him for big money. The rest? Ehhh. Ginn is easily replaceable. He won’t get the big money because he’s pretty much worthless as a WR. Morgan? Test the market, come back. Same with the others.

106 Responses to Free Agent Quarterback Alex Smith

1. twinfan1 says:

Where do you get that he’s been paid 78 million? His original deal was 49.5 million and he’s given about half that back. Am I missing something.? BTW, I think I’m at the stage where I hope the haters get what they want- a new QB.

• twinfan1 says:

No way I’d take less than 5 if I’m Smith. They can always include a “bust out ” clause where they bail on the deal if he tanks. Otherwise, I’d do what they do- tell ’em to go do better if they don’t like it…

2. Kevin says:

Brian Billick on the herd this morning does not see the Niners going after Manning, said that the Niners HC and GM are two of the best in the league. He believes they will stay with Alex.

Oh mannnnnnnnnnn, don’t make me look this shit up. $60 mill?

The original deal was $54 mill. He gave back $16 mill the last 2 years (his salary went down from 12 mill to 4 mill per year). And he got $6.5 mill ( as far as I can tell, in salary and bonusses last year).

So, $44.5 mill. In other words, the Niners have given his great grandchildren a leg up in the world. I dono;t think this is really an issue. Both sides want to make this happen.

I still think they compromise on 4 years. Whatever. Like I said, the deal gets done.

The original deal was $54 mill wasn’t it?

• twinfan1 says:

49.5, then he renegotiated in 2009. He was to make 24.6 in the final two years of that original 49.5. Instead he took 4 million a year for ’09 and 2010. So with the 6.5 this year he’s received about 40 million. I think you’re right, that it gets done, but I hope it doesn’t. If after this year they want to keep the door open for Kappy rather than go all in with Smith, I’d say fuck them, let’s take a look at a Western Division with Bradford in St. Louis, Kappy here, Manning in AZ, and Smith in Seattle.

Fuck. $49.5. So round that down to $40.5 mill that the Niners have paid him.

Yeah, esp. when you see what AZ paid to Kolb to suck on ice.

I don’t really care about how many years, I care about how much guaranteed money and what year we can bail if it’s not working out. I’d like to keep that at 3 years. If Smith stays healthy and continues his elite play then they will re-negotiate before the deal is done.
    I don’t think the Niners go more than 3 years guaranteed with him. Harbaugh is a *develop* guy, he’s happy to build a new QB whenever he needs to–he probably prefers it that way….
    I hope the Niners are going to be exploring what Kappy’s trade value is. Trade him or package him, whatever. If we commit to Smith for 5 years/3 GUARANTEED then I’m not sure why we would keep rollin’ with Kappy as the future guy. Trade him for a need and draft another QB or 2 in the next couple of years in the later rounds and develop THAT guy…….

• snarkk says:

I’d play hardball with Alex on years and guaranteed dough. Nobody’s gonna make a big run at him, unless they’re just trying to screw with the Niners to force them to pay him more. Niners have to pay attention to cap impact in case Harbaugh falls out of love with Alex after a year…

• twinfan1 says:

He may not get a “big run” made, but he can get 3 years at 10 per like they’re talking. They do not have the leverage they had for 2011. Screw with him too much and it’s back to 7-9…

9. twinfan1 says:

After this year, three would be an insult. Smith swallowed a lot to take the one year deal for 2011, especially after giving them 16 million back for 09 and 10. Keep in mind, he could have kept every penny. He would have gotten a shot elsewhere- we’ll never know how that would have played out. Like I’ve said, I wouldn’t take less than 5 years, they can add the “bust out” clause to cover them if he face plants.Granted, I’m coming from a position that he was fucked for 6 years here, and as swell a guy as he seems to be,he would take a 3 year offer as another screwing. 5 years, 60 million sounds right to me. 25 million guaranteed. Let them develop Kappy if they don’t like it.

I think Pete Carroll would dig on getting Smith from the Niners. For a bunch of reasons. The main one being he doesn’t have shit at QB. Whitehead and TJ are JT O’Fuckmeagain and Troy Smith north.

I think they reach a deal at 4 years. $40 mill? $50 mill? Something around there.

Carroll’s feverishly building his O line, and someone will be the benefactor of that. If the Niners dick around, Smith’ll be gone. This is NOT the time to bail on him.

12. twinfan1 says:

The stars are totally aligned for Manning to become the biggest free agent bust in the history of pro sports.

• Alleykat says:

That could very well be true Twin.But atleast he has a proven track record and HOF career.The Biggest non FA bust of alltime for me will be Jarmacus Russell.What a waste of a #1 pick.Then again it’s the Raiders,so it shouldnt have been that shocking.So where is Russell these days,350 lb crack head under a freeway bridge or alley?

Per Matt Barrows, Will Tukuafu, a young stud D lineman, got a 2 year extension.

14. Alleykat says:

I think to this day Alex Smith still feels he wants to justify being that #1 pick and with Rogers ultimate sucess and SB win,it has to burn him up inside,along with the incompetent coaching and lack of confidence in him with Nolan and Singletary and.the revolving circus of OC.
    Smith finally has a Coach who works with his strengths not one who belly aches over his mistakes.Smith will resign,no doubt about it,he believes in Harbaugh and vise-versa.I’ll say 4/57 gets it done.

15. twinfan1 says:

Well, I’ll leave the blog to Denny and his cohorts again, just wanted to put my two cents in on re-signing Smith, which I now hope doesn’t happen. Since the 49ers want only to go 3 years, I think it once again shows disrespect to Alex and I hope he’ll decide to move on. Harbaugh is an acknowledged QB guru so I’m sure that he’ll get equal or better results with Kappy at the helm…

I’m sorry, but when did the June Taylor Dancers arrive in town? I’ve been told that I’ve taken the next step too far on more than one occasion. But reading your comments on what Alex Smith will get, no, what he DESERVES in his next contract has yours truly stepping away from the ledge. Be my guest…

5 years 60 million? “And awaaay we go!”

17. Kevin says:

Alex will be a Niner next year, bet the farm on Dennis, you will be a rich man!! 💩💩

18. Smith ain’t going anywhere, why would he? Finds a better HC, more in tune with him than Harbaugh?? Finds a better system or one he’s more familiar with? Gotta better team in mind, one he’s more comfortable with? A big fat offer is sitting on the desk of his agent; it’s the bucks with Alex, right?

Hey I know why he’d leave: His ego is shattered and he’s distraught that on the second day of FA signings (or whatever it is) because the 49ers just don’t seem to appreciate him and treat him like they used too when got the love from Dingledick and No-win. It’s the shame, the humiliation of anything less than six years all guaranteed for $90 million.

With Smith it’s always about the bucks, ego and throwing tantrums. See what I mean?

Alex is the man! Twin is right again! And a big BLEEP to Chuck in a friendly sort of way.

FWIW, Peyton Manning is in Denver. He would be the Angel of Death I suppose if he took the job from the Anointed One.

21. Kevin says:

For most sports analyst, Miami is the front runner, his family home is there, kids are established in school also. Unless some team goes Zito money on him it is probably Miami

22. twinfan1 says:

Matt Moore did a pretty nice job for them, probably better than Manning will do.

No state income taxes in Florida. I’m sure that’s why Manning has a condo there, for residency purposes. Probably Eli has one, too. Arizona also has no state income tax. That’s a factor, for sure…

• Alleykat says:

Same with Texas..Texans could still be the hunt.Nice playoff run,they may feel Manning gets them the rest of the way,either.the SB or the last stand at the Alamo.

I don’t get how Lew Wolff gets the lion’s share of the rippage around this area for being a bad owner. He’s the mouthpiece with some equity. John Fisher, the billionaire, is the real owner. You hardly ever hear of him, like he’s a ghost. He’s the A’s version of Chris Cohan….

25. twinfan1 says:

Well, Lew knew the job and performs it with gusto..

Speaking of the A’s, I just don’t get what Billy Beane Ball gets out of all this.

Draft stud players, trade them, and watch them become all-stars somewhere else?

How would that be fun? “We suck again, but hey look at Andre Ethier.”

The fucking redskins gave the rams their next 3 #1 picks and a #2 this year for the right to move up 4 spots in the draft.

Dan Snyder is nuts. RG III better win big and early.

• snarkk says:

Niners better hope the Rams can’t draft well the next few years. Actually, I think it could be worse. You CAN miss on a first round pick, surely. Maybe only two of those four will pan out. I’d be actually more afraid if it were a bigger number of picks — like 6, as in the Vikings/Cowboys/Herschel deal years ago. The more picks, the more chance of getting some good players, and the Rams have lots of holes to fill. Still, what a haul….

He will!

It’s evolution of sorts….

White man screws Red man.
    Red man screws sheep
    Rams screw Redskins.

• phil fan says:

I’m good with all that NJ. Long as WE don’t get screwed. /Chuckle/

The current 49ers leaders give me a comfortable feeling that our fate is not in the hands of the screwball Rams or anyone else. Like the screwball Carroll or da Cards. How very pleasant it is to watch others screw up for a change

29. Alleykat says:

No good times in NO, with the bountys,Williams,fiasco,guessing multiple draft picks lost,maybe suspensions even to Coach Peyton and others.

Now Brees is “LIVID” they couldn’t reach a deal and they franchised him.All players hate that,reducing their earning power being locked in with that tag.Brees can holdout and screw the Saints which he should do,he’s holding all the chips and they know it.You don’t fuck with your main draw and team leader.

My guy All Pro Guard and local boy Carl Nicks will bailfrom this messand come to 49 er land,you can bring Marques Colton with you.

• Poor ownership, poor GM decisions, dumb ass coaching. That was quick, the downfall but a logical result of the three reasons listed above. The Brees deal: idiocy pure and simple. More evidence…

Blitz the Niners everah down in the pre-season just to be macho? Look what intelligence was behind those genius calls. How’d that work out coach? Team breaker. Buh-bye..
      Deetroit coach thumping his chest, lecturing Harbaugh across the field? End of the Mo, season ovah! Fine moron keep ’em flapping… Tampa swaggers in here mouthing “We gonna show you smash mouth football”. 48-3, Season ruined.

Newly discovered Harbaugh’s Law states: “Jack with us your world is going Down”

Yeah, NO is imploding right in front of our eyes.

So are the Redskins. RG III is good, but he’s not THAT good. They are not one player away from respectability. Shanny’s playing it like he’s desperate. Which he is. One more bad year and he’s gone.

• snarkk says:

NO was the feel good story of the NFL decade, IMO, when they won the SB in light of the Katrina disaster. Now, they’re pissing all that good karma away. The thing with Brees is just a huge head scratcher. I don’t get it…

Yup. Brees is huge in the community, he’s done more to bring a winner to La, and he’s the face of the team. Sorry, we’re going to dick you hard after your record-breaking season.

Makes no sense.

32. twinfan1 says:

Maybe they’re pissed that Smith out played him 😉

Yeah. Yer only as good as yer last game.

Like I’ve been trying to tell you guys…RG III will be the downfall of the 49ers. But Jesus H. Christ. I didn’t think the Rams could steal that much. Leave it to the little Napoleonic Jew to fuck the Niners sideways by mortgaging his ‘Skins and give away not one, not two, but THREE 1st rd picks for a QB from Baylor.
    Fuck ’em both. I’m putting a bounty out on both their heads.

Niners put an original round tender on Larry Grant. The Niners have the right to match, but they won;t go very high to keep him, and will only get a 7th in comp.

Looks like he’s gone.

That would be a shame. I like Larry Grant. He’s been more than admirable as a b/u LB. Shit. I looked up his stats. When he came in for PW last year, goddamn,. admirable my ass..now I’m going on my recollection from watching Grant play — he was a baller.

The 49ers could use more Larry Grant’s.

Well, they HAVE NaVorro Bowman and Patrick Willis. Yeah, I like him too, but they have bigger fish to fry.

37. twinfan1 says:

Geez, all Alex has to do is lounge in the hot tub while slugs like MSanchez put more money in his pocket..

Randy Moss? I don’t see it. But I sure in the hell can see both he and Peyton teaming up in Miami.
    Look out!

39. Kevin says:

Look out for what, two old dudes trying to show they still have “it”?? Puhleeese

Kevin, if the Niners signed both Manning and Ross, they’d be the prohibited favorites to win the Super Bowl.

Puhleese.

40. Lotta playas and fans are living on “Dream Street”: …just more shot, one more title, one more piece to the puzzle we’ll have another title.

Yeah sure, dream on.because the younger guys are going to put out the lights. You think with Harbaugh’s ability to develop players he’s thinking about high risk, expensive old guys?

Sure he is, just like Alex is going to get 6 years, $90 million from anyone.

Randy Moss?
    Seriously? Is Sabes subbing for Baalke this weekend?…

Hey, Nipper! I’m frying some chicken tonight.

Fried chicken and Budweiser. Wish you were here.

43. twinfan1 says:

Who said anything about 6 years 90 million? Starting to look like 4 or 5 years, about 50 million, or MSanchez money..

• twinfan1 says:

Denny, I’d think you’d be excited that Alex will probably sign in the next couple days, it gives you a few more years with something to live for. We know he’s what keeps you going…
      when he was out in 2008, you were disconsolate the whole year. Now buck up, he could very well take you into the next decade now…

44. Kapster might be trade bait unless Alex gets hurt if AS signs for 4-5 yeahs. Got a feeling we’re gonna be flush with QBs like we used to be- JH the QB meister

Well, Nip, that’s right. Cappy ain’t going anywhere for at least the immediate future.

They get to see how this year goes.

This ought to warm Dennis’s heart:

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5) – San Francisco 49ers Quarterback Alex Smith told CBS5’s Kim Coyle tonight that reports of his demand for a five-year contract are “completely false,” and that he’s happy with the three year deal offered by the 49ers. Smith said his agent and the 49ers are working out the details and that he expects to sign a new contract with San Francisco.

You have a reason to live now, Dennis.

47. twinfan1 says:

They started floating Josh Johnson out there as a replacement if they couldn’t work out a deal with Alex. That was probably their way of getting him to go for 3. All the more reason he should really tell them to fuck off and see how far they go in 2012…

• twinfan1 says:

Not that I think he’ll do that. He’ll be the QB of what will be the best team in the NFC this year and after they win this year’s Super Bowl, he’ll get extended and Jed will agree to a 3 year deal to be his houseboy…

48. Kevin says:

any updates on Randy Moss??

Randy Moss arrived at the 49ers training facility 35 minutes ago wearing a green hoodie.

Jed York on the Alex Smith negotiotions (per Matt M):

Q: Do you expect to have Alex Smith signed by start of free agency?
    York: “We hope so. We have a lot of contact going back and forth and the ball’s in his court. He knows that we want him to be here. We’ll see how it ends up.”

Q: How would you characterize negotiations?
    York: “Things have been good. I think Alex is just trying to figure out what he wants to do.”

Q: Are you at your highest offer to him?
    York: “I’m not going to talk about where we are. We have good conversations going back and forth and hopefully Alex gets everything locked up soon.”

Q: Given the mutual attraction, are you surprised the Smith deal hasn’t happened yet?
    York: “No. Free agency hasn’t started yet. I think we feel pretty good about where we are. We’ll see how it ends up.”

FYI, Larry Grant’s tender was upgraded from original round to RFA tender. Or maybe it was just reported wrong. In either case, it’ll be a little harder for a team to sign him away. And the Niners ould get better compensation.

“In an interview with CBS5 reporter Kim Coyle Sunday night, 49ers quarterback Alex Smith said he’s happy with the three-year deal offered by the 49ers, that he isn’t seeking a longer-term deal and that his representatives and the 49ers are working on the details of the contract. Smith also said on Saturday he was confident a deal would get done with the 49ers. The free agency period begins at 1 p.m. Tuesday.”

This isn’t news but it shoots the hell out of the theory (opinion) voiced here that Smith should pick up his marbles and go elsewhere if he’s only offered a 3 yeah deal by da 9ers. I do stand solidly by my sarcastic comments that Smith has a towering ego, is known to throw multiple tantrums and will surely demand a 6 year deal.

Naw, he’s not going anywhere. Chill. Don’t be duped by the local sports media hype machine

53. twinfan1 says:

It doesn’t shoot the hell out of the opinion that he SHOULD do it, pal, only whether he WOULD do it. Do you understand the difference? Work on it.,

54. Alleykat says:

Randy Moss just signed a 1 year deal,no terms announced.Anybody think he will make.it.through it before they cut bait and let him go?

Alex Smith, who I love and have supported from the day Harbaugh got hired, isn’t nearly as valued by other teams as he is by us. Everyone knows this. The best deal he is ever going to get offered is from SF. Simply put, most teams probably don’t believe last year was for real and if they do they are giving JH at least a good chunk of the credit. I just can’t see a GM offering MORE than the Niners would offer without JH being there with him. This opinion could be argued or course, with another opinion, but the fact that Alex himself is saying how happy he is about the 3 year offer is a sign that he would probably agree with me……..

56. twinfan1 says:

He probably won’t get a better deal, but if he doesn’t sign before free agency starts, it means he’s looking..as he should. It would never have gone this long if he was really happy with three years.