Gore ‘Limited’ this Weekend – Staley Feeling Defensive

A few interesting tidbits came out of 49ers Central this morning. One is that Frank Gore will see limited action this weekend in Philly. Limited meaning none. That turf in Philly is not very forgiving, and healthy guys roll their ankles on that fake grass shit all the time. Frank would be well-served to sit this one out. The other story was Joe Staley’s remarks about the offensive offensive line. Here’s what Joe said:

“Contrary to everyone’s belief, we don’t suck,” Staley said. “We’re good players and we play well. It comes down to everybody executing. It takes all 11 guys. It doesn’t take five offensive linemen to make a running play go. It takes fullbacks. It takes tight ends. It takes quarterbacks carrying out the fakes, wide receivers blocking downfield. It takes all 11 guys and we all do our job and we all have to do our part.”

Yes, Joe, it takes a village to block for a run up the middle. The problem with your argument is that Gore is usually met by a defender 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage. The WRs and TEs aren’t blocking DEs an NTs. You are. The front five is getting no penetration at the point of attack. Better fakes would sell the runs? How do you fake a running play, by the way? Yes, there’s a learning curve this whole unit is going through. but we fans sure don’t feel that confident when Gore is met consistently behind the line of scrimmage, and Smith is constantly hit while he throws, or is sacked.

Anyhow, with Gore and Norris out, we get to see the future in Hunter and Miller as the FB and RB. Will THEY make the blocking look better? Hard to say, but Norriss sure has his share of whiffs in trying to block. Other teams have run on Philly, so we should get our shots. Give Gore the rest. Maybe bring him in for a few screen plays. He’s better suited to grass anyway. Miller can hopefully play Norriss to the bench for the rest of the season.

Still no word on how long Braylon Edwards will take to recover from his torn meniscus. Please at least activate Kyle Williams. He deserves more of a look than he’s gotten.

60 Responses to Gore ‘Limited’ this Weekend – Staley Feeling Defensive

Staley’s quite the politician isn’t he? Problem is the only things worse than our OL are politicians.

I bet I could find five senators who could out-play our line.
    Senators are good at blocking things and holding people up.

Shit, Chris Christie is a natural at center . . . Dude takes up SPACE . . .

Naw Chuck you’re looking at the next 49er nose tackle in Christie

Sarah Palin at at center? I’m sure a few of you would like to bend her over and put your hands . . .

• phil fan says:

Naw again Chuck that’s just you Projecting your stuff, oh evil one.

Dick Durban might be able to play NT but I think he would make a great goal post- or a blocking sled maybe?

• phil fan says:

If there’s one thing I pray to God we never have the misfortune of seeing it would be Nancy Pelosi running the naked boot leg.

I don’t have a clue about the technical aspects of how to play on an offensive line. But it seems to me that when the O-Lineman are getting consistently knocked back or sideways and often missing blocks entirely, it seems that this is a group of guys that aren’t just getting used to working together in a new system but who frankly just aren’t very talented. And that really blows my mind.
    Staley–1st round
    Iupati — 1st round
    Davis– 1st round
    Chilo– 2nd round
    Utter incompetent failures in the draft war room…….

• phil fan says:

Is 3 games after no off-season too soon to tell? Was Baas really that important? It’s the same group otherwise.

I’m hoping coaching and a little more time will improve this sorry bunch…

• grumpyguy says:

Iupati and Davis still have this season to turn it around. Chilo is pretty much in bust territory now. Staley is a journeyman. A guy who should have been like Snyder, a third or fourth rounder. Don’t forget our wasting a pick on Cody Wallace, or our earlier Kwame Harris debacle. This team hasn’t drafted a superior lineman since Newberry and Smiley, and that’s been a while now. Oh, except for Kyle Kosier, who the Cowboys got for free when we tossed him out in the trash.

I think you have to begin to look beyond the faces at the top. I question whether our entire scouting staff does not come up a little short over the last decade.

• phil fan says:

Harvey Dahl was another one we threw out for some reason. He’s having a nice NFL career. Interested to see how Person and Kilgore work out as Harbaugh guys. Better drafting, coaching definitely needed but that will all take time. Unless we get a FA lineman who is good there may be no quick fix. Seems Harbaugh favors building through the draft in this area and letting the young guys develop

7. Berger says:

I don’t know much about O-line either, but I do know about the D-line and Jose Guillen. D-line wins championships, O-lines don’t. Railing on Jose Guillen gets one kicked off of flavorful blogs!

I feel as though I can call plays around an O-line. D-line can either bring it or they can’t. No hiding a bad D-lineman. No hiding Jose Guillen in RF either, even when he is hitting above .300. He absolutely sucked.

• phil fan says:

Hey Bergs (or do you prefer Berger?) good to see you over here!

I don’t know shit about how to fix an OL or how to play DL but I got a few good lines that piss of blogmeisters so we may be even on that one, yuk yuk.

• Berger says:

Berger or Bergs or whatever is fine.

I was just needling Flavor. Having a little fun. I got kicked off of his blog a year ago for telling some idiot over there “Fuck You” after he called me a bunch of names for railing on Jose Guillen. Seems the bloggers on that site were in love with Jose Guilen. I repeat, he sucked.

Well, for what it’s worth, Staley says these guys are close. Right. Until it happens on the field, it don’t mean jack. I don’t think they are as bad as they’ve looked, but it is hard to tell most of the time. Harbaugh seems to be installing this offense in chunks. He tried running predominantly the first two games. He passed more the third game. This didn’t seem to be designed as a strategy to beat the team they were playing, but merely attempts at trying to see if they could run the plays successfully. Sort of like a preseason game. The Dallas game especially. They kept forcing the run at all costs when it wasn’t working. In the end, though, it appeared to be a long-term strategic decision to try and establish the run. Tactically it failed, and in the end the Niners burned a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter.

At least to me it didn’t feel like Harbaugh was coaching to win that particular game, but he was working on his run plays. No one, especially Harbaugh would ever come out and say that, but that’s what it felt like. These next three games will be difficult, and everyone seems to think 1-2 (TB) is the best case scenario. By the bye, I’m sure he’ll have this shit ironed out better.

Funny thing is, the Komcast Krew for the most part have written the season off as ‘they”ll be lucky to win 6 games’. They haven’t overpowered anyone certainly, but there are a lot of soft teams on their schedule. Seattle and AZ are dogshit. Cleve should be a win. I’m still of a mind to think these guys can reach 8-8. they just have to beat the crappy teams and try to hold their own against the good ones. I have faith in harbaugh to slowly gt this team to progress into a better unit on both sides of the ball as the season progresses.

9. Kevin says:

Nice to see Two bad knees Gore is already sitting out of games. Yeah lets give him an extention and more money.

The problem with that theory, Phil, is the Niners will be pretty beaten up by then as well. Week 12 is a looong way off. Gore will get benched and then traded by the end of the year. It was a make-good deal.

I’m getting excited about Sunday’s game. Last week was a little rough. Then it only got rougher once the game started. For everyone’s best interests they need to burn that Bengal game tape. It was bad enough watching it once on the TV, I can only image what it would be like to watch that tape over and over again in the film room.

The Rams have given up 96 points, but they’ve played the Giants, the Iggles, and the Ravens. They have an absolutely brutal schedule to start the year. They may get buried before they win their first game.

The fricking Giants look better than I thought. By far. With Philly struggling, and a big fat upset this weekend, the Iggles could be in a world of hurt. Nothing would make me happier. And the Rams have a decent Washington team this weekend. If the Rams lose that one, they are staring at an 0-6 start with GB and Dallas next up.

13. grumpyguy says:

I wonder. How many YEARS can the NFC West go, without ANY of these teams posting a winning record?

At least one more, apparently . . .

Sunday is truly a “GPS Game.” It’s one thing to beat horseshit teams like the Seahawks and Bengals, it’s another thing to beat a team like the Eagles. Despite their recent struggles the past two weeks, the Eagles are loaded with talent. It’s one thing to be loaded with talent, it’s another to play as a talented unit.

My stance on winning the NFC West with a losing record hasn’t changed — I want no part of it. “We’re the best POS in the heaping POS known as the NFC West.” No thanks.

Who cares, Dennis? If it ha[[ens, then don’t watch the fucking playoff game.

Seattle beat the defending Super Bowl champs in the playoffs. With a 7-9 record last year.

• phil fan says:

I’d take it. Winning the West with 7-9 qualifies as ‘getting better, improvement’ after last year’s miserable failure. True the bar was set low at 6-10 but that’s hole this organization is in. Would I go around bragging? No. Is that all I expect in the next couple years? No again. But would rather be 7-9 division ‘winners’ than watch Seattle, AZ or STL do it and we’re at 6-10 again. No way.

No one is expecting this team to beat Philly at home, Dennis. To call this any kind of must win is ludicrous. No one expected us to beat Dallas. We didn’t. This team is not ready for prime time. Yet.

Maybe by the Giants game at home will we get even a little sense of what is going on. If things go as I see them, the Niners will be 4-4 by then. The Giants at home is doable. IF they win that game, they’ll have a lot of division games to wind up the season. Their fate is in their hands at that point. AZzzzz and Seattle aren’t going anywhere, and StL might be in too big a hole to dig out of.

Shit, you need GPS to find your ass . . .

Where the fuck did I ever say this is a “kind of must win?” Do you understand the meaning of a GPS Game? GPS or not, I still say we lose our next three and go into the bye at 2-4 just like I predicted. Although we do catch a break for next week, as TB plays this Monday and will have the short week + travel. That game could determine if we win the NFC West at 7-9 or 6-10.

And comparing what Seattle did last yr in the playoffs to what the Niners could do (provided the same outcome) is fucking apples and oranges. Seattle actual HAS a home field advantage. A true 12th Man. 49ers? Shit, you saw the Dallas game. The ‘Stick was half-filled with Cowboy fans.

There were so many Cowboy fans at the game due to fans like you. Guys who bail on their team when there’s some adversity. Granted, this has been major suckage, but it’s also the FIRST TIME in my 45 years of following the team that I’ve ever seen anything like that in our house. Fucking appaling.

GPS game? You stole that from Skeebers. A loss is expected. A win would be pretty big.

I think the team will improve as the season goes on. If not? Oh well. This year is one of low expectations. Harbaugh’s getting his due time. By 2013, they’d better be head and shoulders above the drek in this division. Or young fucking Jed pulls his usual arranging of the lowere levels of the team, and keeps his brain(fart)trust intact.

One piece of strategy that I would implement Sunday if I were the Eagles…Who’s our best receiver? Who does Alex target the most? Who does he have the best rapport with? We all know that answer…if I’m the Eagles I put my best cover guy, Nnamdi on Vernon and make the 49ers’ WRs beat me. Ginn, Crabs and Morgan? Puh-leeze. Not a WR1 among them. And would it kill us to throw at least one deep ( 9 route) ball Sunday? Isn’t that what Ginn is supposed to do, stretch the field? Go max protect and just sent out two receivers for all I care. Shit, Alex doesn’t even have to call out a play, just sandlot the sumbitch…”you go deep, and you go deep.” Is that asking too much from Jimbo and Check down Charlie?

Throw the damn ball, deep!

Here’s a peculiar stat…In the NFC, all but one (Romo) starting QB was taken in the first or second rd. 7 starting QB’s in the AFC were taken from the 3rd rd on. And we all know who heads that list from the AFC. Berger’s FF QB.

“There were so many Cowboy fans at the game due to fans like you. Guys who bail on their team when there’s some adversity. ”

Shit. If you only knew. I was there that Sunday in 1980 when the Niners trailed the Saints 35-7 at the half. Did I leave like at least 50% of the other “fans” at halftime? Hell fucking no. I was there to see Ray Wersching kick that GW FG in OT. It was like Joe’s third career start or something. In OT, the Saints committed a stupid personal foul on 3rd dn on L. Elliott ( he had a great game) to keep the drive going. IIRC, the final drive was mostly sweeps with Randy Cross pulling…the old 18 BOB play.

Yeah, I’m a fair-weather fan alright.

Hey, look what I found. That goddamn YouTube has just about everything…I was there. SEC 57 ROW 5 SEAT 9…

Shit, Dennis, I was at this game, too. The upper deck was fairly empty so we went up to Sec 24, upper box.

• Berger says:

The best part for me was mentioning Chuck Evans on a tackle. I used to know him well. He gave me rides to and from practice in High School. His brother Mike was in my wedding. Chuck was also Bill Walsh’s personal accountant. Today he is an Asst AD at Stanford. He and Duncan McColl were the “All-American Book Ends” at Stanford. Duncan’s father was our team doctor in pee-wee football. His brother Milt was our QB on the WC Comets the next year. Milt recovered a fumble for us in Super Bowl XIII.

Good memories. I prefer good mammaries, but I’ll take what I can get.

Don Woods? Don’t remember that guy at all. Shit, look at the linemen. They look smaller than the TEs of these days.

23. grumpyguy says:

They WERE smaller than today’s TEs. 250 was a normal guard or tackle back then. Most centers were even smaller. 270 was a big guy, and there were only a limited number of those.

24. grumpyguy says:

Don Woods was a Pro Bowler early on who was playing out the string with us after injuries. We picked him up after Hofer went down that year I think.

Yeah, Grump, I met Bob St Clair when I was in high school (mid 70s), down at Harry’s Hof Brau in Redwood City. 6′ 7″ and still around 270 then. Dude’s hands were HUGE. He was wide as hell.

The thing I’ll never forget about that game was hearing the KNBR replay of Lon Simmons saying something like this right before halftime when they were down 35-7: “This wil either be the worst beating in the history of the 49ers franchise, or the greatest comeback in NFL history. Stay tuned for the 2nd half . . .”

We were laughing like loons in the parking lot . . .

Pretty lame0-ass PF there, BTW. The guy was already falling and he barely hit Elliott.

I can’t believe it’s already fucking October. Next thing you know Berger will be stuffing a 25 lb bird, and Santa Claus will be forgetting my address — again.

Anyone hear who’s gonna start at RG tomorrow? Harbaugh doesn’t say shit. I’m guessing it’s gonna be Snyder > Rachal, but that’s only a guess.

I was at that 1980 new O game too but my dad made us leave at halftime.

He gave up his season tix that year too

Flav, it was 1978. The 49ers had like a “open house” They were selling season tickets, and all the open seats had balloons tied onto the seat to show your destination. My mom (God rest her soul) and I settled on the upper deck, corner end zone. Most would say it wasn’t a great seat in the house, but it was money. Perfect view and angle when DC hauled in “The Catch” from Joe.

Wouldn’t trade my seat for anything. I had the best view in the ‘Stick.

We were in front of the jumbotron for years, but I didn’t make ‘the catch’ game.

Funniest thing was watching Steve Young’s run agasint the Vikings. I remember seeing the crowd standing up in a wave the farther Young got down the field. Couldn’t see shit, but by the reaction of the fans, we knew he scored . . .

See for yourself, SEC 57 had the perfect angle for “The Catch.”
    I just lucked into that location…

You know, it’s funny… every time I see “The Catch” replayed on TV I still have a hard time thinking DC caught that sumbitch. I’ve watched that replay, no joke, 1,000 times, and I still wait and expect Dwight Clark to drop that ball. I still don’t believe it.

But Berger can attest to this fact…I have a framed photo of “The Catch” hanging in my bedroom. It’s above my feet on the wall. It’s the last goddamn thing that I see EVERY night before I turn out the lights. And I was sitting in SEC 57 ROW 5 SEAT 9 when that Clemson Tiger reached high into the SF twilight and snatched that 3rd and 3 pass from the 6 yd line from St. Joe.

Most men probably see the curved back of a beautiful women before they go to sleep. Me? I see the upright back of Everson Walls with his hands at his side, looking in awe as DC made that fateful “Catch.” Walls was just a spectator on that play, and I’m proud to say, so was I.

NEW POST