Wild Wild Card Weekend . . .

And it isn’t quite over yet. This slate of games saw the Niners put away the always annoying Seattle Seahawks, and in the words of Pete Carroll, “we scared the shit out of them.” And he was correct, sir. The 49ers got punched in the mouth in the 2nd quarter, and Seattle turned an early 10 point deficit into a 1 point lead on some shakey coverage on DK Metcalf, and a really dumb late hit on Geno, preceded by a dumb squib kick call.

Metcalf ended up with 10 catches, 136b yards and 2 scores, but he was basically neutralized in the 2nd half, with the rest of the Seattle team, and the Niners’ 25-0 run into the 4th quarter sealed the deal.

Truth be told, this was a gut-check game in its own right. The 49ers had taken the lead in the 3rd quarter 23-17, but Seattle was driving with less than 3 minutes in the 3rd quarter. Facing the possibility of falling behind again, With Seattle on our 13 yard line, Charles Omenihu hit Geo in the backfield and forced a fumble. The ball sat on the ground for what felt like 5 minutes as Nock Bosa pounced on it to end the threat and start the takedown of the Seahawks.

Say what you will about the Seahawks, but this was supposed to be a throwaway year for them, and they got this far and gave us a battle. They are primed for a ton of success as they have a boatload of picks coming from Denver as their never-ending search for a QB continues.

The other games were all wild and crazy. Buffalo nearly got beaten by the Dolphins with their 3rd strong QB Skylar Thompson as Miami dropped passes, make a boatload of false starts, and even had the lead late, but fell to the Bills.

The Chargers meanwhile took their seemingly unending playoff failures to epic proportions by being handed 4 Trevor Lawrence interceptions and a fumbled punt in the 1st half and squandered a 27-0 halftime lead. They were led by the enormous stupidity of Joey Bosa, who lined up offsides on a crucial 2nd down sack, which would have resulted in a 3rd and 20, but instead became 2nd and 5 and Jax marched down the field and took the lead. Bosa was also flagged for roughing the passer (iffy call) and unsportsmanlike conduct for slamming his helmet. On the field. Which led to Jax being able to run out the clock. Derp. I guess we got the smarter brother.

The Bengals got their own scare, as Baltimore and yet another backup QB Tyler Huntley chucked and ducked, and nearly led Balt to an improbable victory.

The Vikings? Saw this one coming a mile away. The New York football Giants smashed the Vikings early and often and Daniel Jones (who impressed me) had his way with the porous Minnesota defense.

Still one more game. I’m still of a mind that Dallas is closer to the Vikings than the Giants in terms of ability. I think if Tampa punches them in the mouth early, it’ll set the tone and Dallas will wilt under the pressure.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

30 Responses to Wild Wild Card Weekend . . .

Tampa is winning this game tonight.

Agreed. If not for the Charger meltdown, I had ’em all right.

Even though there was a lot of parity in the league there were also a lot of pretty good teams. Personally I can’t stand the Giants but it’s nice to see they may become relevant once again. I would rather see Dallas next week but don’t really care either way. I would like to see the Giants beat Philly but I doubt that happens.

4. alleykat69 says:

I’d rather face Dallas cause turnover Dak would easily make to easier with are Defense teeing off he will wilt throwing picks are a sack fumble.
    However Tampa will prevail with Brady he’s not losing at home, and Evans&Godwin,Fournette and of course Brady and a more experienced Defense will get it done,plus the Cowgirls haven’t won a road playoff game since 1992 which is crazy and will continue on..

Got to hand it to choke artist Kirk Cousins who constantly shows why he will never advance to a SB with his best player JJ basically used as a Decoy .Sure 10 catches for a mere 47 yards? And with the game still in the balance he throws a 4th and 8 check down 2 yards and expects TE Hockenson to make it with a defender right in his face with a NO CHANCE FIRSTDOWN what a Dumbshit …

Yeah, parity or shittity? No faith in the Vikings or Dallas, and I’m on the fence with the Eagles. The Giants very well may be our toughest competition. They looked pretty good yesterday playing on the road.

Didn’t know that about the Cowboys. That is insane. If Dallas loses tonight, it’ll be epically funny.

• alleykat69 says:

Yeah the real bummer about that Cowboys streak was the 1992 road win was against the 49ers 30-20 and all I remember leading up to the game was the underdog brash Coach Jimmy Johnson guaranteeing a Cowboys victory on radio/ tv shows.
      I kept thinking man this guy has a set of brass balls saying that,but he proved me wrong,so I give him that,as Aikman threw for 322 yards and 2TD’s to lead them over Steve Young and the 49ers and they went on to win their 1st of 3 SB’s by destroying the Bills 52-17 during their heyday run as Jimmy yells out his his famous “How bout them Cowboys “🤮🤮🤮

• Winder says:

Yeah, I hated the Cowboys for over 10 years at that point and that game just made it worse. I have always hated losing to those asswipes.

Forever the stepchild, but this is pretty awesome. Carl Eller and Bud Grant enjoying the game.

Dallas is killing Tampa, except for the 3 missed extra points,

If Dallas looses by 2 that kicker won’t have a job next year

9. alleykat69 says:

If the goal posts were as wide as the endzone maybe Maher makes one???
    He’s in the clubhouse completely hiding and checking out the classified ads…

I heard Kyle was mad as hell over that player pulling on Deebo leg after the play was over

Yep. The ref was right there and ignored it. Shanahan was equally pissed about that.

Tell ya one thing. TB is not getting pressure on Prescott and he’s tearing up their defense. Here we go again. Cowboys Niners yet again.

4 extra points missed!!!!!

13. Locojuan says:

Missed 4 of em, man dats a rough night.

Yeah, I can see teams lining up to get Brady next season!!!!!!!

12/27 102 and a pick.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao says:

Oh come on, Brady has ’em right where he wants ’em, a la Falcons in SB. Haha. Ah, you know I’m a long-time Pats/Belichick/Brady fan, but honestly, it’s time for both Belichick and Brady to call it quits…

Interesting. He isn’t wrong. What impressed me from the get-go is the decision making. For a rookie to be making plays like that is very impressive.

We have to be on our protection game next week though. Dallas does bring a shitload of pressure.

That game sure was a dud. Really thought Brady and Co would do better than that pathetic showing.
    This will hopefully get Dallas a little full of themselves.

• Winder says:

If our D plays their game I think it will be a fun game. I have a feeling we are still gonna be able to score points against these guys.

16. Jimmuh Johnson says:
  17. willedav says:

3 teams from NFC East in final 4. Is Dallas really that good? Hard to tell off last night vs. crummy Tampa, but Dak will see difference soon enough.

Yeah, Brady was missing everything. There were plays out there. Funny enough, if Evans catches that pass, it gets a little scary for Dallas. and TB sucked the whole game.

Dallas is a little better than I’m giving ’em credit for.

Found this pic in the Chron today re: a Scott Osler article about the similarieties between 1981 and 2022. Too funny. I think Joe was #19 his rookie year in camp but switched before the season started.

Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 9.36.30 AM