Strange Days, Indeed

Go back 2 months and no one would have the Niners, packers, or the Bucs in the playoffs. But thanks to an 8 game winning streak, and the emergence of Brock Purdy, for the Niners, and a lot of sucking in the rest of the NFC, gives us this possibility. Both the Packers and Bucs are 7-8. Brady even pulled off another ‘epic’ coma-back at the hands of the Arizona Cardinals. Like the Saints game before it, AZ stumbled, bumbled, and fumbled their way all over the field while giving Brady about 76 opportunities to win late. Which they finally did. They amazingly lead the NFC South by a game over the Saints and the Carolinas.

Same thing with A-A-Ron and the Packers. 4-8 and losing to everyone, they’ve reeled off 3 straight and all the teams around them in the hunt, the NYGs, Deetroit, and Washington all lost, and they now control their destiny. Sort of. But their chances did go up from 15% to 29%. Beat the Vikes and they jump to 52%. Win out and it goes to 89%. Silly. Miami and Tua Tavailoa helped tremendously by giving the game away with 3 late picks and Rodgers went 24/38 for 238. Tua later went back into the concussion protocol as Miami’s slide from the top has been precipitous.

Thought we wouldn’t be blessed with the old school QBs, I mean come on, man. But they are hanging around. Mainstays Dak Prescott is out there winning games. As is Jalen Hurts and the ascendant Iggles. And the shit-show that is Kirk Cousins. I still don’t believe these teams are for real. Sheesh. The NFL seems to be full of a lot of mediocre teams that can win at any time, or reel off 5 losses in a row. Hello Vegas. Even THEY are still mathematically in the race. Even sillier.

The Niners? SF has clinched, and we have Brock Purdy. The biggest surprise since what, Tom Brady 21 seasons ago? Kurt Warner? Something like that. Looking at the state of the NFC, and we are starting to look like the best team. Our defense is playing at its highest level and the offense is loaded with weapons.

Much is being made of what to do going forward for the Niners, but history paints a picture of teams that let off the gas earn an early playoff exit. And I guess the impetus to get that 2nd seed is enough to push for these last 2 wins. Minnesota has the packers and Bears to close out the season. Those early losses may bite us, but that shit is ancient history and hitting the road for our 2nd playoff game wouldn’t be too onerous. But beating Washington again won’t be easy. That defense is legit. The Giants? Meh.

__________________

On the injury front, it looks like we very well could have Elijah Mitchell AND Deebo Samuel available for this playoff run. That would be most excellent.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

15 Responses to Strange Days, Indeed

I don’t think we should shut anyone down but I’d cut McCaffrey’s touches in half and I’d dial down Bosa’s snaps too. We can’t afford to lose either of those guys and it’s not worth going full throttle to try for the 2nd seed. Not if we lose either or both of those injury prone guys to do it.

Yeah, CMC is key to keep healthy. With Mitchell coming back, we should be able to manage his workload. Same with Deebo. Having him fresh for the playoffs will be fantastic.

I’m grudgingly giving Shannny his kudos for his job down the stretch of rotating players in and out. I wish Mason would get more reps, but he’s beat up now. D-P looks OK. But I wish he hadn’t gone to the well too much with Samuel.

Agree. I would keep the pedal to the medal and play our backups a little more. There is a spirit on the team right now that I haven’t seen in quite awhile. I didn’t see it quite like this in 2019 and we were pretty good that year. I think that Purdy is the main reason for this the kid just keeps battling even through mistakes. Fun city.

I would like to see a little more red zone consistency with misdirection plays. One thing about Purdy is, play action works with him. It was very hit or miss with Jimmy.

Bleacher Report, Raiders’ Derek Carr Benched, Jarrett Stidham Will Start at QB vs. 49ers

Wow. Raiders going full tank mode. Fucking Davis is a tool. They still have a shot at the playoffs. Tiny, but still. Not that they would get by us anyway.

The Raiders are a fucking joke. McDaniels has failed yet again as a head coach. And Davis benches Carr? Too funny.

Would Jimmy be crazy (dumb) enough to sign with the Raiders next year? Seattle is definitely on the table. Don’t think Geno’s pizza rolls will be there next season.

And here we go . . . the interwebs are GREAT for shit like this . . .

Over on the NFL site I see they are selling low end tickets for Niner game for $327.00. That is over 3 times the amount for over half the games and way over anyone else. I bet they get that in Vegas.

Can’t see the Raiders scoring much this game. 0-10 likely. If McCaffrey gets more than 15 touches I’ll be pissed. And Bosa should get a sack-a-roonie or 2 and then sit the rest of the game. This is a gimmie. Take it and move on with our health.

9. willedav says:

Bowl Cut is so clueless, except when it comes to conning cities into funding yard for him (like old man). This game used to mean lot for local fans; can’t imagine Vegas fans too thrilled about it now. Even D Adams admits he and his buddies still there are bummed about Carr.

So gutless of Davis and McDaniels to bench Carr. I feel real bad for DaVante Adams and Josh Jacobs.

Random stat of the day. 49er opponents are 0-13 after playing us.

Yeah, I want to see the starters pulled by the 2nd half. If this game is even remotely close, I’ll be amazed.