What a Difference a Day Makes

Well, Shanny continues his mastery over Sean McVay. McVay is becoming a real annoying sideline presence has he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off yelling and dancing around and glad-handing his players at every photo opp. But enough about weasel-boy, the 49ers actually looked like a decent team as THEY were the ones to adjust to a Ram team that was killing the Niners defense and negating our pass rush by dinks and dunks.

The Rams had 2 touchdown drives of 9 minutes and 6 minutes in the 1st half. Run,Pass, and Throw CMC had his 34 yard TD pass to Brandon Aiyuk sandwiched between the TDs. And wow, the Niners looked like a team having fun. Their next drive came up short and resulted in a FG, but they did have the possession arrow for the start of the 2nd half.

Lo, and behold. The FORTY NINERS were the team to make halftime adjustments. After watching teams decimate their leads and win games that they were losing, the 49ers ratcheted up the pressure on Stafford and played tighter to the line to take away all the short passes that were so effective. Cooper Kupp had 7 catches in the 1st half, and 1 in the 2nd. During garbage time. and He got injured for it. Which is why even before that I was screaming to get CMC OUT of there.

Offensively they rode the coattails of McCaffery. He ran for 94, caught for 55 and threw for 34. And scored all three ways as well. Jimmy was decent enough, throwing his own dinks and dunks. He did hit a nice deep ball to Dwelley, who was open as open can be. He underthrew a pass to McCloud that should have been a TD, and threw a near pick right to Bobby Wagner where he faked a blitz and faded back to Kittle but couldn’t hang on.

Still and all, a clean day by the offense. No turnovers, although CMC did fumble twice. The first half was a bit choppy as the Niners had 2 penalties on 3rd and goal to extend the Rams 2nd TD drive, and didn’t look able to stop the Rams through that first half, but they did get 2 scores of their own. And shut down and shut out LA in the second half.

So, we are one game behind Seattle, but more importantly, 3-0 in the division. The team gets a needed bye as they can healthy up for the stretch run, and they really don’t have a very tough schedule. But, as we all know, this team can play up or down to the level of their opponents.

Get healthy. Find consistency.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

20 Responses to What a Difference a Day Makes

I know that Niners fans travel with the team good. There was a shitload of Niners fans at that game. That might be one reason we play good there. I don’t think I can remember a game that we didn’t have any injuries.

From Matt Barrows:

Some positive injury news for the #49ers: Their three MCL-injury guys — RB Elijah Mitchell, LB Azeez Shaair and OL Colton McKivitz — were working out/running on side fields when practice began. Mitchell seems like an after-the-bye possibility as far as his return.

Line depth is a big deal. But Al-Shaair and Greenlaw will be needed down the stretch.

Greenlaw’s speed was missed in the KC game. When he went down shit went south.

I will say, Ryans adjusted nicely to stopping the incessant screen passes and dump-offs yesterday. Getting pressure and playing closer to the line did the trick. Hit Stafford and he gets wonky.

This will be a huge test for Kyle, has he fallin in love it’s MCM so much he will only make plays for him. And did he learn his lesson with Lance and not run up the middle so much. I said this at the beginning of the season when Trey was going to be the starter, will Kyle open up his supposed magical playbook, he did not do it with Trey. Maybe he will MCM.

Well, that’s the thing. Like the awakening when Deebo started running, all these nifty plays came to be. I’m sure we’ll have some good shit ahead, but like all of Shanny’s shiny new toys, he likes to smash them till they break.

The last 3 runs for CMC were very dumb for Kyle to do. Much like Lance, I DO NOT want to see CMC doing a lot of pounding the rock up the middle. I said it yesterday, i think, that he’s NOT super sturdy and not build like Derrick Henry. Then again, Trey Lance isn’t built like Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson but that didn’t stop Shanny from treating him like that.

I am not gonna feel confident about any game the Niners play in for the rest of the year. We have made far to many mistakes in more games than not. I also do not feel that CMC is made of steel since for the last few years he’s missed a whole lot of games. And, I still don’t trust Shanny’s play calling. Since I missed yesterday’s game and we shined. I just might have to make plans to miss more of them.

Yeah, my mantra has been consistency. Something that’s sorely lacking in the shanahan regime. Every time I think they are doa they face the Rams and crush them. Every time I think they’ll roll a team like Denver, they crash and burn.

7. Berger says:

The QB situation and the O-line situation that we’ve had to start the year has been a nightmare for play calling. I think Jimmy was hurt and his inconsistent throwing showed it. He looks a lot better now. Our O-line is looking good enough that the old issue is showing up again. That would be McGlinchy’s pass pro. Other than that, the line is looking much better.

If they keep improving like they have been it will be about the defense getting healthy. If we do, we will be a contender. A healthy 49er team is good enough to go all the way.

Philadelphia is the healthiest team in the league. If they had our injuries, they would not be undefeated and probably about a .500 team. I think you people are overreacting. My biggest worry is getting healthy because we seem to have the injury bug each year more than most teams. Shanny is a master play caller. The players have to execute. With Jimmy being inconsistent and the O-line not performing so well, no play caller would look good. Both of those areas are improving nicely.

You people are good fans and have your opinions, but a team as injured as this one is going to be inconsistent. That is just the way it is. Let’s get healthy and then see how good the play calling is.

My opinion is Shanny’s play calling has gotten into situations we probably should never have been in and then we lose to teams with much better talent. I think Shanny is doing a great job. A good running game is a great advantage for any play caller. We have not had much of that this year. We need to keep trying to get the running game going.

Now that Jimmy looks healthy again, maybe Shanny will trust the passing game more and that should open up the running game. Again, it comes down to health.

• Winder says:

That’s true injuries will kill any team. The problem I see is that we are a running team that can’t keep a running back healthy for more than a couple/few games. If we can’t protect them then we should figure out another way to do things. To me Jimmy is one of the most inconsistent QB’s I have ever seen. One week he can have a great game and the next he’ll make the crucial mistakes that put the game in jeopardy. I still think we are one of the most penalized teams in the league which doesn’t help to win games. I loved the way we played the Rams this week but I don’t expect us to play like that continually when we do have a blueprint out there on how to beat us.

• Berger says:

Everything you said is accurate. When the defense is healthy it is dominant. Jimmy is looking a lot better as he is getting healthier. Picking up McCaffrey was huge. The O-line is looking like they are at least average instead of lousy. If we can get healthy, which is a big if with this team, I am confident that we are a contender.

• Winder says:

Ne too.

8. alleykat69 says:

Crazy NFL trade days with players on the move.. mostly picks involved..
    TE TJ Hockenson to Vikings Major upgrade for Vikings with JJ,Theilen,Osborne,Cook etc
    DE Bradley Chubb to Dolphins (Chase Edmonds to Denver& a 5th in 2024)Broncos get a 1st rd pick 2023&4th-rd pick… Huge move for Dolphins who are explosive on offense but needed a major up grade on Defense..Puts Dolphins in SB consideration.McDaniel doing a great job in Miami imo..
    WR Chase Claypool to Bears
    RB Hines to Bills( Moss to Colts and picks for Colts)
    WR Calvin Ridley to Jaguars
    WR Kandrius Toney to Chiefs
    Bears traded both LB Smith &DE Quinn
    The CMC Niners trade which I’m pumped up with( just stay healthy)
    Oh and since the Niners don’t need him now with CMC and Mitchell returning soon they just traded RB Jeff Wilson to the Dolphins connection with McDaniel for a 5th rd pick!! A steal pick imo!!
    Losers of the day both Rams and Packers getting nothing done!

• Winder says:

That is a lot of action. Don’t like the Niners trade. Mitchel is made out of glass and we are gonna have to cross our fingers every time CMC gets the ball. Miami didn’t give us a gift with that 5th rder they know exactly what Wilson is worth.

9. 12th Man says:

Draft picks update:
    2 3rd round
    2 5th round
    2 7th round

Not a lot of margin for error there.

Look at the current regime’s 1-3 round draft picks. Consistently inconsistent.

It’s a fucking disease with this team.

That’s their wheelhouse.

I wonder what the Vegas odds are on another Mitchell injury.

5:2? Like I said all our hurt guys that leave stop getting hurt. Odd.

New thread is up.