Darkness on the Edge of Summer

September is a loooong way off. After a decade of dominance by the Giants and Warriors, the 49ers got one win away from their own glory. Now however, the Giants are going to be young and wobbly at best, the Warriors are just waiting till October rolls around to see if they have recovered from their injuries, and the Sharks are also hitting the skids this season.

So,what do we have to look forward to? The draft? Free agency? Yeah, I guess so.

As we all know, our defense made gigantic strides this season as Nick Bosa earned Rookie of the Year honors, and FA acquisitions Kwon Alexander and Dee Ford both played very well, and rookie LB Dre Greenlaw played exceptionally well. The D line saw multiple injuries, yet stayed stout against the run, and provided a solid push up front.

The defensive backfield was a bit of a mixed bag however, as Ahkello Witherspoon got hurt and lost his mojo, Richard Sherman looked old and slow at times, and our safeties were awful behind Jaquiski Tartt and Jimmie Ward.

So, speaking of the draft, I’m pretty sure that draft pick one (the exact opposite of last year’s pick 2 at pick 31) may very well be a corner.

Thing is, this isn’t a very good draft class for corners. After Jeff Odukah, there’s a mixed bag of character risks and raw talent. Trevon Diggs has size and speed at 6-2, 207, and so does Bryce Hall at 6-1, 200. But either or both could be gone. After that it’s a crapshoot.

Which brings up the other need. Wide receiver. Deebo Sanders made huge strides as the season wore on, Kendrick Bourne solidified himself as a bona fide red zone target, Emmanuel Sanders came in and played very well while Dante Pettis and Marquise Goodwin played themselves into the dog house. Trent Taylor and Jalen Hurd both need to get healthy to see what they are.

Sanders is probably gone, as well as Goodwin and Pettis. Hurd and Taylor, while possible 2’s, are also unknowns as they haven’t been on the field long enough, if at all.

So, the WRs we look to have an opportunity to get are . . .

Henry Ruggs from Bama or Laviska Shenault from Colo. Ruggs looks good as a guy who can go deep with his 4.40 speed.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

16 Responses to Darkness on the Edge of Summer

I’m working on it Chuck –

I’m all for a DB/WR if we stick in slot 31. I would love to see Lynch field some offers to slide back too. We’re a barren wasteland in terms of Picks right now.
    Ward for a Comp Pick wouldn’t kill me and, Witherspoon sucks.

Guys to keep on the radar for me so far –

Lenoir-Rhyne FS Kyle Dugger (6’1″/217)
    Cal FS Ashtyn Davis (6’0″/195)

OH St CB Shaun Wade (6’1″/194)
    Clemson CB A.J. Terrell (6’1″/190)
    OK St CB AJ Green (6’1″/190)
    TCU CB Jeff Gladney (6’0″/183)
    UVA CB Bryce Hall (6’1″/200)

Baylor WR Denzel Mims (6’3″/215)
    Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden (6’4″/220)
    Clemson WR Tee Higgins (6’4″/215)
    OK WR CeeDee Lamb (6’2″/189)
    UCF WR Gabriel Davis (6’3″/212)
    TN WR Jauan Jennings (6’3″/208)

Forgot this guy too – He’s got some impressive numbers from an Offense that isn’t known for it’s flash.

ND WR Chase Claypool (6’4″/229)

Thinking that several of these WRs could be had beyond 31 too.
      Others, like Ruggs/Lamb/Higgins will likely be gone.

Pettis thus far has been a bust.

Boise St DE Curtis Weaver (6’3″/265)
    UF DE Jabari Zuniga (6’4″/246)
    Utah DE Bradlee Anae (6’3″/265)

TX Tech LB Jordyn Brooks (6’1″/240)
    OK LB Kenneth Murray (6’2″/234)
    Wyo LB Logan Wilson (6’2″/250)
    USC LB John Houston Jr (6’3″/220)
    Clemson LB Isaiah Simmons (6’3″/230)

Missed this guy too –
      Want to see him in drills in Indy.
      He’s got some fantastic numbers to his credit as well.
      If he’s got any kind of speed/agility, we could use it to track down Murray and Russ.

Cal DE/OLB Evan Weaver (6’3″/235)

I wouldn’t rule out a surprise OL pick at 31 either.
    I’m not done with the OL homework yet but, I love the OC Lloyd Cushenberry from LSU.

Ohio St RB JK Dobbins (5’10″/217)
    App St RB Darrynton Evans (5’11″/200)
    AL RB/FB Najee Harris (6’2″/230)

FAU TE Harrison Bryant (6’5″/240)
    MO TE Albert Okwuegbunam (6’5″/255)
    UW TE/FB Hunter Bryant (6’1″/239)
    Cincy FB/TE Josiah Deguara (6’3″/240)

Eddie D pardoned by Trump!

Chuck, I sent u pics of SB awhile back.

Trump pardons ex-San Francisco 49ers owner DeBartolo Jr.

chuck- I am still looking forward to the Giants season. i don’t expect anything from them but by the middle of June we will know what we have. Kinda wish they would get rid of everyone over 26 and rebuild the whole team. i doubt Cueto and Samarja(sp) will last very long I would also get rid of Belt and Craw. It’s time. Anyway, some of the Marlin’s teams looked pretty exciting after they did that. I believe they are gonna have to do it anyway sooner or later.

Cueto and Smargle are our only trade pieces. Belt? He would cost a lot to trade, but I’m behind it. Simply cut Crawfish. He’s dead weight at this point.

10. alleykat69 says:

If it’s not corner are safety I say it will be a RB!
    I think they’re a lot of questions in the backfield,McKennion gone, Brieda possibly,seems to be the latest whipping boy in Shanny’s backfield.Coleman? An Atlanta guy Shanny still trust, só maybe,Mosert only one safe.Wilson ??
    I’m putting some chips in for RB D’Andre Swift from Georgia, show’s great speed, catching abilities,size and strength, could be the best back in the draft!Also Dobbins would be an excellent choice as well.
    They could also draft out and try and stockpile more picks, that would not be bad as well..

Wilson, is a solid pass catcher who I think is a good backup. Breida can’t stay on the field. McKinnon can’t FIND the field, and Coleman seems fine.

RB is not high on my list of positions of need with Mostert, Coleman, Wilson, and Juice. I just hope Shanny starts Mostert rather than Coleman. fuck.

New thread is up.