Word on the street is that the 49ers are very interested in Ezekiel Ansah, FA DE who played for the Lions, amassed 12 sacks last year, and 14.5 the year before. More than enough for a team that ranked 26th in sacks with 30. He’ll cost, but one thing the Niners have is a shit-ton of cap space. Somewhere in the $100 million range.
Seeing as this is the brain trust’s 2nd go-round in free agency, it’s fairly easy to see their previous track record. They got (minus a couple no-names):
- QBs (Hoyer and Hot Tub Mat) – Nice try but pfffffffft. The draft of BeatHard and the steal of Garoppolo made these guys moot and expendable.
- WRs Pierre Garcon, Marquise Goodwin and Aldrick Robinson – Garcon was playing well before he got hurt, Goodwin became Jimmy G’s go-to guy once he got in there, and Aldrick Robinson showed some decent play after struggling through a lot of the season. Robinson looks to be odd man out if we improve this position
- FB Kyle Jusczyk – A very solid pickup as he made some nice catches coming out of the backfield on sideline routes.
- OLB Malcolm Smith – Hard to say, but he’ll hopefully be ready when this season starts. May be relegated to backup depending on the draft and other FA moves.
- TE Logan Paulsen – Blocking TE that made some big drops this year. Surley we can do better.
- K Robbie Gould – Huge success. 39-41 is flat fantastic. 4-4 from 50+.
ILB Brock Coyle – Good backup who was exposed in coverage early on. Should stick for ST role and depth.
So, four of these guys were big successes, and M Smith very well could be a keeper. Not bad for their first try. Thing is, the Niners still have holes to fill at guard, CB, WR, possibly RB, OLB, and ILB. How much of this goes to free agency?
OLB – Well, I like this guy Ansah. Dee Ford of KC is young but coming off a back injury, and Anthony Hitchens of the Cowboys is also a young guy who is available.
WR – There are a lot of intriguing guys available. Notably Jarvis Landry of the Phins, and Sammy Watkins of the Bills and Rams. They are all 25 so there’s a good chance one of these guys would be a great addition to the team. Then there is Josh (hold my joint) Gordon. He of the spectacular play, and equally spectacular penchant for getting into trouble. Terelle Pryor thrived in Cleveland, but failed in Washington. Cameron Meredith (da Bearsss) could be great but he’s also coming off a big injury.
TE – We should focus on Zach Ertz’s backup Trey Burton, who shined when Ertz went down with a concussion. Fuck Jimmy Graham.
CB – Well, there’s Malcolm Butler, though NE likely keeps him, Rashaan Melvin of the Bills, Trumaine Johnson of the Rams, and Patrick Robinson of the Iggles. All these guys are young and have enough years left.
I think Landry is gettable. As is Ansah and Ford. Burton would be a great addition to the TE ranks. Patrick Robinson as well. Those thrfoure would be a great start to free agency.
I don’t know who’s available at guard in FA, but I’m tired of typing so, have at it. I think we are in a MUCH better place than last year, but who do you think we should sign?