The Loneliest Week in Football (and a mini-qb controversy)

Ahhh, the bye week. The bane of all that is an NFL season. And it comes after the epic one-game winning streak that the juggernaut 49ers are on. Granted, this suddenly becomes a little bit of a quarterback controversy as the heir-apparent Jimmy Garoppolo cools his heels on the recent success of Mr. BeatHard. You know, the guy who was beat hard in the AZ and Philly games. CJ certainly has the respect, if not the blocking success, of his teammates after his taking multiple shots, and bouncing back up. Games like that AZ game where CJ was hit over 20 times, and sacked 5 can scar even a seasoned vet. For a rook it is a tough path to success.

As it was he put together his best start of his young career against, well, a defense that appeared to be in matador school at times. OlΓ©! But, be that as it may, the pass pro was solid with Trent and Joe back, and the run blocking was sufficient to get both Brieda and Hyde big chunks of yards.

The defense continues to play well as we dip into 3rd string defensive backs and the like. Adrian Colbert played extremely well at safety, but alas, broke his thumb on the first series of the game. He has surgery yesterday and is likely out for Seattle. Of course Tartt and Ward are both out with broken arms, so we will be scouting the taxi squads of other teams to find yet another safety. Or just move Reid back to free safety for the time being.

So, the big question is the mini-qb controversy. The 49ers made a fairly bold move to pick up Jimmy G in a mid-season trade, and while we have Chicago’s 2nd round pick anyway, it still is a pretty pricey nugget for a QB with little experience but a ton of upside.

Do you think we’ve seen enough of CJ to effectively evaluate him? Did his victory over the Giants warrant him another start? Or is this simply the time to see what Garoppolo brings to the table? I would find it VERY hard to think that the brain-trust sits Garoppolo all this season, as he’s a free agent looking for a deal once the season ends. So we would need to see him as much as possible I’d think. I find it hard to think they’d sit him even one more game. The coaches need to see as many reps as they can possibly get with Garoppolo at the helm. CJ was a 3rd round flier who very well may round out into a decent QB. Garoppolo was gotten to be the starter as soon as possible.

They need to play it that way. Feelings be damned.

40 Responses to The Loneliest Week in Football (and a mini-qb controversy)

I would like to see what Jimmy G. brings to the table. I am now a CJ fan. I would think that if he got the chance to sit behind and learn a little more it would make him a better player. He is already leagues ahead of past 49er rookie QB’s. The way he moves around back there kind of reminds me of John Brodie, he has his toughness anyway. Until we can get a little more healthy on defense I doubt we will win the Seattle game. But stranger things have happened i guess.

I’m hoping we get some players back after this bye week. I have no idea who’s ready to come back though.

You are spot-on with the Brodie comparison, Winder. He played on shitty teams and gort his ass kicked for YEARS before they finally got good near the end of his career.

4. rob says:

so does anybody think we should go after vontea davis ?

5. rob says:

Chuck that kind of reminds me of alex smith ! he’s on the NFL’s top 100 players list right now !

6. rob says:

following up my trent brown post here’s more good news
    Pro Football Focus explains the selection like this:

“It’d be easy to go with Dez Bryant, who gained the most yards on slant routes and did so from the outside receiver position. But Taylor’s nine receptions on nine slant targets and 148.6 passer rating generated are hard to ignore. The rookie led the nation in yards gained from the slot in his last season at Louisiana Tech and has continued to produce for the 49ers this season with all nine of his slant catches coming from the slot. He has been the league’s top wideout on slant targets this season.”

While Taylor may be Pro Football Focus’ top slant-route receiver, JuJu Snith-Schuster of the Pittsburgh Steelers was named as the most dominant receiver in the slot.

Taylor’s catch rate in the slot ranks 14th in the NFL, but he has just two drops compared to 20 receptions this season while working at the position. Ironically, former 49ers wide receiver Jeremy Kerley, whom the team released in favor of younger players like Taylor, leads NFL receivers in catch rate out of the slot position.

still not sure why we let Kerley go tho

Guessing Taylor won the job over Kerley simply because he’s younger and cheaper and, needed the position to gain experience this year.
    I’ve been impressed with Taylor as my ‘surprise’ Pick of the Draft.
    I have hopes he’ll become our version of Wes Welker.

Due to his size, and the injuries already encountered thus far, he’s going to have to be committed to keeping his body in great shape, a la one, Jerry Rice.
    This game is brutal enough, being undersized ought to serve as the primary reason, to work at staying in top shape, 24/7/365.

12th, I agree with you (from the last thread) about the 3-4 vs 4-3 debate on the Fat Man in the Middle.
    I had always favored the Ted Washington/Vince Wilfork ‘0’ technique guy for a 3-4.
    He would be that 340+LB brick sh!t house that couldn’t be moved, even with a double team.

I’ve come to respect the slightly ‘leaner’ NTs that tend to one-gap and penetrate.
    I’m happy to add a 315-320LB Fat Man who can disrupt and collapse the pocket, while still being stout enough to handle a double team when necessary.

Several good ones I’m watching already, especially the FSU tandem of Nnadi and Christmas.
    These are the guys (IMO), that make the difference in the NFL game.
    When the Fat Men are doing their jobs, the LBs get all the clean hits.
    With a guy like Bukner already wreaking havoc, a complimentary addition who can handle some double teams can only make him more productive IMO.

Buckner of course….

I guess, (by definition), I’ve graduated from the ‘0’ technique NT, to the ‘1’ technique Fat Man in the Middle πŸ˜€
        Which I think is still something Saleh can use in his scheme.
        Won’t hurt at all to seek another OLB/DE who could do what Aldon did either.
        The kid from LSU, Arden Key is a guy I’m leaning toward as well at this point.

• 12th Man says:

We’re on the same page NJ, Richardson may well be a FA next year, I would open the checkbook for him.

Someone tell NoClue that he sounds like every fucking old man in the past 5,000 years. “When I was a boy . . . ” yadda yadda yadda. Gawd. Spare me.

Taylor, along with Kittle, had a case of the yips that they both need to get over. Hopefully it’s rookie jitters. They both need to tighten that up. Then again, just about all of our pass catchers have at least 5 drops.

I hate the fucking by week.

Good chance to see some other teams Winder.
      I’m planning to get a look at the MN/DC and Dallas/Philly matchups at this point.

From what I’m seeing for FAs-to-be next year, Aldon Smith is eligible, (for whatever that’s worth) and, Seattle DE Marcus Smith appears to be coming out as well.
    No clue what Saleh and Smith have in common, (if anything), other than the Seattle connection.

DE Adrian Clayborn and DT Dontari Poe in ATL might also be there.
    I’m guessing Lynch will add a FA or 2, depending on positional needs.
    Curious to see how they approach the Hyde/Reid decisions too.

Dallas OG Jonathan Cooper could be an interesting option too if he doesn’t get extended in Big Duh.

• Winder says:

NJ- I know the upcoming draft and FA is gonna be real interesting. I think sooner or later they are gonna have to open the company purse for some FA’s. Pretty sure Aldon is not on the wish list. I am kind of the opposite of you when it comes to the draft. I would like to see the first few picks all go to offense. But, FA will determine a lot of that.

I’ve always been leary about Offense in the top 10 Winder.
        QBs/WRs especially.Too many busts, simply in the percentages.
        IMO, Defense (depending on the position) seems to be a simpler transition.
        Pass rushers especially, if the motor is there, technique can be taught on the fly.
        DTs can be rotated as well but, you don’t typically see DTs going in the top 10 too often.
        You can usually find good rotational guys from RD2 on.

One position I’d make an exception for on Offense is OT.
        They are more likely to get Picked high, with somewhat better odds, if the Scouts/GM have done enough homework of course.
        I know I’m sounding like a broken record but….
        I love the OG from ND, Quenton Nelson as a guy that could crack the Top 10 next year, which is somewhat rare for a Guard.
        Kid is an absolute mauler.

• Winder says:

We have seen just how a good offensive line is needed. Monsters with attitude are just what the Niners need and I would use a 1st rounder on one myself.

• 12th Man says:

I lean D in the top of the draft too usually but I think they almost have to go O line this time around if the value is there. Iupati and Davis made a huge difference when they came in, Niners need that kind of upgrade at the C/G position and I think they have the QB’s already. WR I prefer FA, the draft is a big risk at that position.

2 WRs to watch are –
    Calvin Ridley – (6’1″/190) from ‘Bama and, Courtland Sutton- (6’4″/216) from SMU.

Early projections suggest both as potential legit #1 WRs in April.
    Again, I remain leary….. πŸ˜€
    Big bucks to College ‘Stars’ at the WR position tend to make many (in past years), too lazy to handle the work required to produce against Pro-level CBs.

I could see Lynch taking a CB with Pick 1 also.
    Kid on my radar is also from ‘Bama, Minkah Fitzpatrick.
    He has the talent to go CB or S too.

12th there’s a kid I’ve been trying to see from Washington, DT Vita Vea.
    He’s on my ‘hope to catch a game’ list.
    Listed at 6’5″/340 with what is being reported as the agility to crush the pocket and, blow up the running game on the way.
    Hard to believe a guy listed at 340LBs is being touted as both high motor, and quickness, with little need for rotation blows.
    He might fit my ultimate Fat Man in the Middle profile πŸ˜€
    You guys out West have likely seen him in action?

Berger? You and I seem to have a knack for the Fat Men, what’s the story on Vea?
    I see he’s a Cali kid too, might be a nice option to keep him in the home Area, depending on where he projects in the Draft order next Spring?

• 12th Man says:

I don’t get to see very much college unfortunately NJ but he sounds like just the kind of guy that would release the potential of the other high pics they already have.

And an additional review of Vea from the Stanford game – (Which I wish I could have seen)…

VITA VEA DL #50 WASHINGTON 6’4/340 JR

A couple of seasons ago we were preparing for DANNY SHELTON to arrive in the NFL via the Pac-12.
    Next up could be junior VEA for the 2018 Draft. And here’s a couple thoughts for you:
    VEA is even bigger and looks more athletic than SHELTON. Think about those claims for a second.

VEA was not any part of a reason for the loss to Stanford last Friday night. He was credited with 6 tackles, 4 of them solo.
    He also had a Sack but lost it to a penalty when he touched the QB’s face mask upon initial contact.
    Two things in particular about VEA’s play really caught my eye in that game.
    He very seldom leaves the field for a blow, other than change of possession.
    Every time I looked he was lined up and ready for the next play. That is unusual for a guy playing at over 340 lbs.
    And I never felt like he was taking a play off.
    The big guy’s motor runs high.
    Despite his power, he also relies on uncommon quickness and bend to his body,
    as he often penetrates behind the line-of-scrimmage to harass opposing QBs.
    On multiple occasions I saw him loop around the blockers and attack the pocket from the side or even the back side.
    He may not have gotten any sacks in this game, but he put some big time hits on Stanford QB COSTELLO.

I hope he doesn’t end up as a NT in a 3-4 scheme in the pro game.
    He deserves to have the space and freedom to attack the pocket and literally collapse it.
    This giant is special and if he comes out he can’t last past the middle of Round 1.

• Winder says:

We could always use a guy like that. I love it when our D can create havoc. But, it’s our offense that needs the major work. Fix our offense and that will relieve our D from being on the field so much. Even though we won the Giant game their offense was still on the field longer than ours.

• Berger says:

I haven’t watched Vea this year except a few plays but I’ve known about him for 3 years now. I wanted to see Shelton a couple of times and the guy I always noticed instead was Vea. I told you about him previously but not by name. I told you that there is this other guy on the Husky line who is better than Shelton. He is big and versatile. The guy he is similar to is Darius but not quit as physical. I need to watch a Washington game and keep my eye on him. He might be more physical with another year of growth.

Got the NFL package so there should be some games to watch. The poor Raiders are at the brink of oissing the season away and have to beat The Patriots to get to .500.

NJ, I’d love a disruptor up front as we don’t get much push from anyone on the D line. We are better than last year, but not enough. Still and all I’m with Winder. This offense desperately needs weapons. High-grade weapons.

Like 2 top WRs and O line help. As in our first 3 picks should be offense.

The hope is though that Thomas gets better and stronger as does the rest of the D line.

It’s time for Jimmy G to step up and grab the position for the following week. The HC is going to be cautious and probably will not put in too many plays at first. He’s here to play not watch.

• 12th Man says:

Yeah I would like to see what they have in Jimmy G.

• Winder says:

Yeah, I would like to see some of that quick release he’s supposed to have. It used to always be the Niners had 2 good QB’s on the team. Of course there were a few years when that wasn’t so but for a long time we did. It is possible we have that again we just gotta see.

Now there’s speculation that Jimmy G starts the last month of the season. By then he should have enough mastery of the offense to be very productive. And two more starts will give CJ enough experience to be an effective back-up. This comes from Matt Miaocco who seems to keep his ear to the ground.

Matt Williams is taking the A’s third base coaching job apparently. I guess being the Nats ex-manager doesn’t count for much.

ESPN is showing Utah/Washington tonight –