Shanahan It Is – So, Who’s Our DC? QB?

Kyle Shanahan is officially the 49ers head coach. The glory of getting a Super Bowl OC is tainted, for now, by the epic collapse of the Atlanta Falcons in the game, due in no small part to a baffling insistence on going away from the run game that helped build the 28-3 lead in the first place. Still and all, the consensus is that he had a solid game plan.

That being siad, with the hires of John Lynch and Adam Peters, at least we now have a coach, GM, and EVP who are:

a) Outsiders
b) Football guys
c) Smart
d) Not likely to brook ANY  interference from the suits

Granted, this alone means nothing. But I feel a hell of a lot better with these guys in charge rather than:

a) Chip Kelly
b) Trent Baalke
c) Paraag Marathe

Shanahan now will more than likely start building his coaching staff. Since Kyle is running the offense, his main task is getting a DC. The candidates are Pats LB coach Brian Flores and ex-Jags LB coach Robert Saleh. Flores is obviously the prize, as he[s coming off the defense that shut down a team that threw up 28 points in the 1st half, and then pitched a shutout in the 2nd. He’s highly respected, and is likely on the fast track to a HC job, but a couple years here would be good for us.

As far as QBs go, here’s what we are looking at, FA wise:

a) Kirk Cousins, QB, Redskins. Age: 29 – Not going anywhere
b) Brian Hoyer, QB, Bears. Age: 31 – Some good games, some bad. Could land here
c) Matt Schaub – QB, Falcons. Age: 35 – Connection to Shanahan. Very possible
d) Mike Glennon, QB, Buccaneers. Age: 27 – Young and inconsistent. Cheap tho
e) Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, Jets. Age: 34 – Fuck to the no
f) Geno Smith, QB, Jets. Age: 26 – Double fuck to the no
g) Nick Foles, QB, Chiefs. Age: 28 – Meh. Still struggling to find consistency
h) Matt Barkley, QB, Bears. Age: 26 – Strictly backup material
i) Ryan Mallett, QB, Ravens. Age: 29 – Ditto

The Case Keenums and Johnny Manziels and and Pat McGroins round out the list. Shit, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, and Shaun Hill are on the list. Pionder could stay as a 3rd stringer if for no other reason than he looked OK in last year’s preseason.

But as far as I can  tell, I’d be looking at Hoyer, Schaub, and Glennon. In that order.

65 Responses to Shanahan It Is – So, Who’s Our DC? QB?

Need a QB? Round up the usual suspects. Lets face it …….slim pickings. OUCH!

I’m sure they’ll get a QB somewhere in the draft to fill out the #2 spot on the depth chart. An intriguing guy to me is Pat Mahomes from Texas Tech. Big arm, can throw on the move, and is very athletic. Based on conjecture he’s a 2-3 round pick, but decent QBs have a tendency to fly up the board a la Carson Wentz.

That being said, he’s in the same boat as Cal guy Davis Webb. They both come from the gimmicky air raid style offenses. Nothing behind center, and no NFL style experience, but Mahomes’ football smarts are off the chart, and he looks like a solid 2nd round pick at 34 for the Niners.

Course, he may jump to the 1st round.

It’s gonna be fun to see how things unfold. Depending on who we pick up for our OC & DC should tell us how enticing of a job it is now. Until I see otherwise I figure these guys know way more than any of us and their draft picks should reflect the plan we have in place. Hopefully, a gimmick QB is not in the plans.

I don’;t think we get an OC, Winder. Shanahan is running tthe O.

Please get someone that can throw. I’m sick of the Kap type of guy……run first and can’t hit the broadside of the barn in the Red Zone.

From the playpen:

New HC Kyle Shanahan comes in fresh off a disastrous lesson in end-game management. Perhaps a phone call to Harbaugh would be enlightening for him. He’ll be first up on the griddle, since he controls the 53 man roster. We’ll give him some friendly advice in this regard.

Hmmm, yeah. They can both compare notes as to how they both fucked up their chances to win Super Bowls. Not too sure what Skeebers point was there, but fun fun fun anyway.

I truly didn’t want New England to win, but there were two aspect that were highly enjoyable:

1. Goodie Goodell forced to hand the Super Bowl trophy to Tom (luckiest man on [tuck rule/collapse] earth) Brady

2. Robert Kraft getting shit-face hammered as he watched his team lose, only to have to speak to the billions watching while barely able to talk.

Flores would be an asset Chuck.
    He’s got some Scouting experience under his wing as well. Nothing wrong with having an in depth resumè on D from Belichick IMO.

“Flores, a former Boston College linebacker, has been with New England since 2004. He began in the scouting department before shifting to coaching in 2008. Before taking his current position in 2016, he spent four seasons as the Patriots’ safeties coach.

If we could land WR Corey Davis, I’d be amenable to taking a Late RD flier on his QB, Zach Terrell.
    He’s a project certainly but, he and Corey Davis put up some gaudy stats between them.
    I’m down for Schaub on the FA Mkt for a couple of years to groom the next Man up however.

Our 2nd Pick could be a nice carrot to offer to TN as well, if they’re willing to move up, to allow them a shot at Mike WIlliams before JAX can steal him.
      3 guys I’d like to see us target are DE/DT- Jon Allen/ ILB – Reuben Foster/ WR – Corey Davis.
      Getting an extra 1 from TN could allow for 2 of them?
      Hard to predict squat with a totally new regime yet to be named.

chuck- did you read that shanny wasn’t going to get an OC? Has that happened before? I think he’s gonna have to get someone to fill that spot just to get some help. I don’t think he can do both. Even Walsh had an OC.

I just assumed it, Winder. Usually the QB coach is the de facto OC, but he defers to the HC in that kind of deal.

From NFL.com (this came out this morning):

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that Shanahan plans to coordinate the 49ers’ offense. The Niners intend to hire quarterbacks coach Rich Scangarello and run-game guru Mike McDaniel to support Shanahan’s offense.

The news isn’t a big surprise. Shanahan has been an NFL offensive coordinator since 2008 when he landed the Houston Texans’ job. He’s spent stints as OC with the Washington Redskins (2010-2013) and Cleveland Browns (2014) and the past two years with the Atlanta Falcons.

Under Shanahan’s guidance, the 2016 Falcons boasted a high-flying offense that consistently schemed wide-open receivers throughout the formation and took advantage of the best complementary running back duo in the NFL.

The challenge for the first-time head coach will be replicating past success with the talent-poor roster he takes over in San Francisco. The 49ers do not have a proven quarterback. Shanahan goes from a receiver corps of Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu and Taylor Gabriel to one currently composed of Torrey Smith, Chris Harper and Aaron Burbridge.

It’s not new for former offensive coordinators to call plays when they take over as first-time coaches, but Shanahan will have a lot on his plate with a first-time general manager in John Lynch and a shallow roster in San Francisco.

So, Shanahan has a run coach and a QB coach as the ‘assistant’ OCs., but he’s the OC/HC.

• Winder says:

I hope it works, that’s a lot of decision making. I can see him calling plays and forming a plan of attack. But there is a lot more to the offense than just that. I guess it is doable.

Plenty of offensive coaches do it this way. At this point I’m more concerned with the roster. 12 picks and a lot of money can go far though.

Funny thing is, Chi[ Kelly is being looked at for the Atlanta OC vacancy.

chuck- they hired Sarkasian(sp) as OC. I doubt Kelly will get an OC position in this league. He’s a one trick pony.

Did they? I heaerd they were looking at him.

Lynch and Shannyn signed their contracts. They needed football guys for today’s game and have them. The staff signing for each is underway and off to a good start. Hopefully NJ can breath a little easier.

I just hope they have some good ideas to get this team going again. I don’t care who’s playing nice to the media. Just have a plan. And please no more Kap. This franchise needs a new roster in the worst way.

12th FOOTBALL GUYS and…MORE football guys 😀
      Put Jed and Paraag on the links.
      Until the football guys run football Ops, we’re doomed to mediocrity I’m afraid.
      This news that Shanny and Turner will run the Offense, to a large degree, is unsettling to say the least.
      Those 2 buffoons had a SB victory in their collective grasp, only to continue throwing the ball with a game sealing FG attempt in their hands.
      Rathman, as we know, put a MAJOR emphasis on his RBs ability to pass protect.
      If only Turner had done a better job with Devonta Freeman in that regard, Atlanta might have been the team hoisting the Lombardi on Sunday.

Contrary to popular sentiment, I think we are in a similar situation as to where we were in 2010.

Similar, not the same. That lineup was stocked with a ton of talent. This lineup? Not so much at the skill positions, but we are fairly solid on the O line, the D line, and the defensive backfield.

The immediate needs are at QB (we have none on the roster), WR, and LB.

Yes we need depth.

‘SHANAHAN SENDS MESSAGE TO 49ER FAITHFUL: ‘BE PATIENT WITH US’

Does he realize the guy he just went to work for has canned 3 HCs in the past 3yrs?
    I think we’ve been a WHOLE lot more patient than Tweeter has.
    I’m also not seeing much more news today regarding Brian Flores as DCo.
    Another one ‘not interested’?
    Saleh and Jerome Henderson as Co-DCo’s?
    WTF?

Better him than anyone else. There’s time, NJ.

Be patient.

Shanahan’s been coach for about 24 hours.

I’m a Lifer Chuck.
      I just hope there’s enough time in my life to see this thing get back to respectability.
      Jed is NOT the most revered owner in the NFL unfortunately.
      And, he’ll outlast me by a long shot, unless one of those banner-pulling protest planes lands on top of him.

Hey NJ at least give these guys one draft to see what direction we are heading. I gotta laugh because you are usually the one guy that has some patients. Anyway, it is gonna take a little time to undue the Baalky regime. I don’t like the idea of not having an OC either. I think there will be to much on Shanny’s plate. Do we still have the same OLine coaches or are we getting new ones? There is a lot to work with out offense. I honestly don’t think we have a decent RB’s. This draft and FA is gonna define what we do for the next 3+ years.

Winder I’ll give them all the time they need so long as they aren’t hung out to dry prematurely.
      I see all these failings as a direct result of ‘impatience’ by Ownership.
      Nothing in this game works without stability IMO.
      Jed has proven to be the most unstable ingredient in this process.
      There’s winning, as with Harbaugh, on the Field and, there’s winning in the Owner’s mind.
      Somewhere, in between, is reality.
      The reality is, Jed can’t handle the job.

You don’t attract the MOST qualified ‘football guys’ by being an impatient, petulant little sh!t as an Owner.

• Winder says:

Jed is a douche and everyone knows that, I think even he knows that everyone knows that. I am pretty sure he is will be quiet for awhile.

Touché on The Douché Winder 😀
        Fuk’n dimwit….

And, with respect to the Draft, personnel is one concern, Coaching them into a cohesive unit involves patience and good teachers.
    Jed simply needs to step out of view and let that dynamic develop.
    If we’re 2-14 again, so be it. This won’t happen in a year or 2.
    He has to prove to other qualified future applicants, that he isn’t going to pull the rug out from under them on a yearly basis.
    This is why many of the desired Coaching targets withdrew from the process.

Well, they took shitty guys, NJ. Jimmy T was an internal hire that didn’t have a chance in hell.
    Kelly had a team with little talent and Baalke not giving him anything to work with.
    Kelly wasn’t any good anyway and he was coming off a disaster in Philly.

The biggest problem though is the talent drain since 2012. Baalke screwed the pooch through through 5 drafts and 6 free agent periods.

Lynch and Shanahan are outsiders with very solid reps. They aren’t getting the one-and-done. Even Jed knows this.

Did you WANT McDaniels? Shanahan was one of the two best guys available in these last couple years. Gase being the other but the rest are retreads or unproven.Doug Marrone? Swan McDermott? Vance Joseph? None of these guys were on my radar. Sean McVay was only for sentimental reasons.

I was OK with the Caserio/McDaniels tandem Chuck.
      Picking guys from the Pat’s Tree wasn’t a bad plan IMO.
      Lynch is a quality hire from a ‘football guy’ perspective but, as we know, he’s going to need a LOT of help in terms of player evals and Draft maneuvering as it relates to slotting them.
      I’ll take my lumps with Shanny of course, he’s equally green in terms of HC experience.
      McDaniels did at least learn some things in his short tenure at the HC level.
      It’s going to be rough going in the cesspool in SF for sure.
      As stated before, Jed needs to be invisible for at least 3yrs IMO.
      I’ve got my concerns with the ‘patience’ factors involving Jed but, I’ll make the same assumption, that he MAY have come to the realization that he hasn’t helped this situation in recent years.
      Leave the football Ops to the football guys. Please.

Don’t like the proposed ‘Co-DCo’ arrangement either but, I’ve got no voice in that process.
        Flores would have been a more desirable target, again, from the Pat’s Tree.
        Haven’t seen anything to suggest whether he bailed thus far either.

His (Flores) resumé included more positional depth and, involved some Scouting experience as well.
        See where this goes in the coming weeks.

Hard to dissect the QB dialogue Shanny speaks to in this piece but, it would almost suggest, that Deshaun Watson has the ‘throwing and cool’ factors nailed, as prerequisites.
    Kizer was a calm customer too, from the little I’ve seen of him.
    Whether he can speed up the mental aspect of his game is the question.
    No hurry for me as to when the future QB will be ready to handle it either.
    Just be patient and teach him well.
    We can live with Schaub, or another option, for a couple of years in the interim.

Watson is almost a carbon copy of Kaep in terms of what they did in College.
      Little, to no, Pocket experience was ever on display.
      Kizer at ND probably involved more Pro-style characteristics?
      Shanny’s Offense is very much a Pocket game over an Option game.
      No matter what, I’m just hoping the QB Pick doesn’t happen with Pick 2.

Who runs a pro set in college anymore? Western Michigan!

Draft Zach Terrell in the 5th round. Instead of a fucking punter.

Might find Terrell later than RD5 Chuck 😀
        PJ Fleck got a lot of production out of WMUs program.
        Give me Corey Davis over Mike Williams too.

Then get Terrell ‘Coached up’ and reunite them later.
        I’m good with that scenario.

NJ, if the NFL has taught me anything it is that parity rules.

FlyingV, for all his nonsensical bullshit was right about parity. Pete Rozelle pushed it (and profit sharing) above all else.

ANY team can turn themselves around in a hurry. Dallas? 4-12 last year. Playoffs this year. How? They had a solid O and D line and drafted well. WE have some pieces. We need a solid draft and we have a tone of FA money.

Playoffs? Sure. AZ id falling faster than a rock in the ocean. Seattle is fair to middling. The Rams? Shit show. Goff looks lost. He’s young but he’s not looking very good right now.

If Seattle stumbles, 9-7 could win this division. One and done more than likely, but I think we had more talent than we showed. Especially on defense. YEs, it’s about coaching. SOmething we’ve sorely lacked since Fangio left.

Parity is accomplished with scheduling and Cap Mgt as well Chuck.
    Football has always been a ‘trenches’ game for me. Good Lines control things.
    Shanny will need a very ‘heady’ QB to make his system run. It’s not something a Rookie will grasp for at least a 2-3yr period.
    Matt Ryan didn’t comprehend it well last year and, he’s been in the game awhile himself.

Playing solid Defense and running the ball will cover those warts for a bit, which is what Seattle has done and, Harbaugh did for Kaep for awhile as well.
    This Draft Class is much deeper on D too.
    It seems Lynch knows this already from things I’ve picked up thus far.
    He realizes the challenges ahead for a QB in this Offense.
    Hoping he makes some hay on D this year, which is why the DCo hire will be important to me.

2018 is going to have a lot more QBs to pick from. But this team needs skill players right now. WRs, QBs, TEs, We’ve drafted for defense for too long.

The piece I linked above suggested Mike LaFluer was ‘ticketed’ to SF.
    Seems his ticket took him to LA.
    Until it’s done, we’ll just have to sift through all the rhetoric that gets to our eyes for now.

Plenty of coaches have been their own OCa. It isn’t rhat rare. Holmgren and shanny Sr did it.

Holmgren did. I think he was GM as well.

Good news!! Carson Palmer is coming back as QB for Arizona!

• Winder says:

That is good news. For now they are still better than us, but probably not for long. After last season I never thought I would be this jazzed about the team so soon. But for some reason I just know that Lynch is the right guy for the job.

I hope these guys are better than last seasons guys……..and Jed is hoping too. If they succeed than Jed can go back and to fighting with his neighbors over his cabana.

Right, Winder. Millen was a great football player and a motivator but he was way over his head as a GM. I think Lynch is a lot closer to Elway than Millen. Having Peters around is a big help as well.

No welcome mat for Oakley at MSG…banned for life apparently …….OUCH!

New thread is up. I’ll move that like over . . .