49er Wide Receivers – Black Hole Or Merely Cursed?

Damn. Crabs must really hate training camp. For the 4th time in his 5 year career, Michael Crabtree will miss training camp. This one is serious though. He tore his Achilles. For a guy who has had myriad foot issues, this can’t be a good development. The team is all ‘no big deal, he’ll be back in late November for the playoffs’ but I guess we’ll wait and see on that front. Will Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams still rehabbing their own injuries, the WR corps, which the Niners have been trying to upgrade since, oh, TO left in 2003, has been a mess of failed FA’s and draft choices.

2004 was the infamous Rashaun Woods draft. 1st round flameout who had 7 catches in his 7 game career. The other WRs were the mercurial Brandon Lloyd, Cedrick Wilson, and Arnaz Battle. That draft did net Soap, Smiley, Shawntae Spencer, and Andy Lee, so Terry Donohue’s swan song was his best draft. Eric Johnson, TE, turned out to be the best pass catcher back then. 2005 saw more of the same. They drafted Rasheed Marshall and Maxwell Marcus. The WRs were Lloyd and a tired Johnnie Morton and Otis Amey? Who? With the coming of Alex Smith came the need to bolster the WR corps. The Niners drafted 3. WR (!) Delanie Walker, Brandon Williams, and Michael Robinson. Noteworthy in that Walker became a lousy-handed TE, and Robinson became a ST pt FB. Antonio (Speed Racer) Bryant was the first big FA flop. Although his 40/733/3 TDs would be fairly decent nowadays. Battle was still hanging on, and Bryan Gilmore & Taylor Jacobs were the backups.

More of the same in 2007. They drafted local kid Jason Hill, gone was AB, replaced by Darrell Jackson. They picked up Ashley Leelee, but his injury-filled stint was noteworthy for nothing. 2008 saw the Niners draft Josh Morgan and the signing of Isaac (Moses) Bruce turned out to be one of the Niners better WR moves in a while. 2009? Well, besides the Niners getting Crabs, they had Isaac for one last year, and the solid Morgan. Still and all, all 5 WRs totaled up to about 1200 yards in the popgun offense. 2010 saw late round poick KW actually make the team. THe crew was once again Crabs and Morgan with Hill and a cast of nobodies as the backups.

2011? The only guy that DIDN’T make the team from that excellent draft was Ronald Johnson, WR from USC. Braylon Edwards had an excellent preseason followed by an injury-plagued season of little to nothing. Swett Brain, Joe Hastings, and Ted Ginn offered little to no back-up help. 2012 was a year filled with promise. Michael Crabtree was able to participate in training camp. Randy Moss came back from a year’s hiatus to be a mentor to the young WRs, including the speedy 1st round pick, AJ Jenkins. Mario Manningham was signed from the NYGiants to bolster the promising bunch that saw a resurgent KW on the roster.

Well, we all know how that turned out. Mossy declared himself the best WR of all time, and proceeded to tank the Super Bowl, Manningham and KW went down with season-ending injuries, Ginn did his usual not-much, and again, by the end of the season, the WR corps was a mess of wounded bodies and underwhelming performances. Only Crabs had the breakout season everyone so desperately wanted to see. Sadly, that came to a screeching halt last Wednesday.

So, going forward? Their 3 top guys are in various forms of hurt. KW and Mario may make the field by mid September. Crabs would be lucky to see the field this season, and the doghouse sitter, AJ Jenkins has pretty much been given the keys to a lot of playing time. Or the recycle bin of he doesn’t show a lot more than the nothing he brought last year. THe good news is the Niners Acquired Anquan Bouldin, a guy who can replace Crabs numbers fairly easily, Ricardo Lockette, erstwhile Seattle PSer looks like a find. The draft brought the intriguing Quinton General Patton, a guy making noise like someone who wants to take the NFL world by storm, and hey, Joe Hastings is still on the team.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

40 Responses to 49er Wide Receivers – Black Hole Or Merely Cursed?

Holy fuck. Once I got started I couldn’t stop.

I really want to say that “General” Patton will be the one to pickup the slack in Crabtree’s absence. The more and more I watch that kid, the more and more I like ’em. I already told Berger that I’m starting the General Patton bandwagon. We’re starting off in SF and going all the way back to Normandy again.

The only drawback on Patton? His jersey number. He’s fucking #11. That thing is cursed.

Man. Chuck, that’s a decade of malfeasance, misfeasance, and just plain feasance in the WR department. How is that POSSIBLE? Well, I guess 15+ years of the Giants not having a home grown top grade OFer is about the same thing. Seems like every other team in the NFL has at least ONE really good #1, or at least pretty good. And, a burner. I’m not hopeful about Jenkins, I’m willing to be surprised. I just can’t fathom how a first round WR pick does not play AT ALL in his first year, and on a team with crap for his WR competition. A play here and there late in the season doesn’t count. NO catches? The mind boggles. I’m hoping the guy has tools, but not much in the brains department to digest the offense. If it’s the opposite, that can’t be fixed. If Jenkins turns into even a serviceable WR this season after a first year of oblivion, it would have to rate as a minor miracle…

Yeah, forget the Crabs, for this season and maybe most of next. That’s a tough injury for a slot receiver. He’s not proven to play well with injury anyway so I don’t see a miracle comeback in his future.

We’ve got a bunch of guys now with an opportunity to step into a starters role. That’s what it’s all about.

Also, our offense, once described by an old fart with a floppy hat as going through 21, hasn’t really been one to develop, test or judge wide receivers in for many years. I pity the fool on the perpetual go-route-decoy/downfield-run-block duty.

Remembering the heroes this weekend. Lots of glasses to raise.

Say what you will, NF, but Crabs’ numbers last year were very solid. 85/1105 are numbers not seen in Ninerland since 2003 and TO. And it wasn’t all Kappy where he got those numbers. He was somewhere around 11-12th in the league. Spectacular? No, but those are strong numbers. it was something we’ve all been waiting for out of him. Shame he’s fucked for a while. He may return from this, he may not, but I think he’ll be good to go in 2014,

And even you must surely realize that they didn’t unleash their new QB weapon fully last year. Harbaugh may have been itching to make the switch, but they game-planned for Alex through camp and the first 9 games.

• NoFear49er says:

Even me? What’s your point? They used Alex most of the year for those numbers?
      I guess so, but as soon as Kaep played and didn’t screw the pooch Alex was a goner. What’s that tell, “even you?”

Do you see the offense being different this season with Kappy in there?

The point being, Kappy brings a bigger arm to the passing game. They will go downfield more. But this ain’t fantasy football. The Niners WILL be a running team. You constantly bemoan the lack of big passing numbers, and it’s stale shit. Is Tony Romo more successful than Kappy? Based on results, no. 1/2 a season, and Kappy has more playoff wins than 9 years of the Fantasy dreamboat Romo. Fuck the numbers, I’ll take the wins.

You’ll take the wins? Alex Smith: 38-36-1 as a starter. Tony Romo: 55-38. I knew it all along. Chuck’s a closet Romo fan. Come out of the closet, Chuck.

I’m talking playoffs you fucking imbecile. PLAYOFFS. What does playoff wins mean, you mental midget? Can you read? 1-4 to 1-1. Duh. Tony’s numbers are cute and cuddly, but in the end they signify a fucking loser who can’t win a big game to save his life. What a feeb. I always took you for a Cowboys fan, but I didn’t know how hard you yearned for Tony. Again, you don’t deserve the team you supposedly support. You and jerry Jerkoff were made for each other. Fighting for Tony’s dick in both your mouths. . . .

if I didn’t know any better I’d think your name was Jessica. Or is that just your dream?

In reality, it’s the Niners that don’t deserve my devotion. On my death certificate the cause of death will read, in not so many words…wine, women and song. And wine and wine, more wine, even more, keep it coming, I’ll say when and a little whine to go with my cheese. But the main cause of my death will be the Niners. The Niners have already sent me to jail twice, and the hospital thrice. Death by being a Faithful is inevitable. I just hope it doesn’t occur in jail. I hear you get 10% off of Vaseline. I may need to borrow some.

I wonder if you asked Jed York the “either or” question of whether he’d take winning the SB L bid OR having a healthy Crabtree this year, what he’d say? I have good idea @KingCrab15 wouldn’t be getting much love on Twitter. Jimbo on the other hand would be the total opposite. He could care less if the SB were played in the parking lot at Walmart.

You need to get more hobbies dude.

“The Dude abides.”

Just wait a minute. I have plenty of hobbies, but even if I do need more, you still spend way more time on blogs than I do. And you have a wife and kids. Maybe you need to rethink your priorities. “Sorry, son. I can’t drive you to practice right now. I have to give that Dennis a what for on my blog.”

Chuck, I kid you not. I just tweeted your blog info to my 666 followers on Twitter and it’s a full moon tonight. I’d expect replies from Lon Chaney, Jr. with commentary provided by Bob Wilkins.

I should have been a late night horror host. Bob Wilkins, Col. Kurtz and my life summary…”The horror…the horror…the horror…”

No, that was .666 followers.

Bob Wilkins’ ghost is gonna kick yer ass tonight.

Anyone awake? Seriously It’s nice to see Chuck and Dennis go at it. No pretense just frank insults! That’s the way sports blogs should be.

Awake? Try a round of Geo Guessr (http://www.geoguessr.com/) you may never sleep again!

That guessing game is highly addictive and nearly impossible all at the same time. I nearly pinpointed a spot in Belgium. I’ll try it again later after I’ve had a few more pops. I have to get to my ponies anyway. My three big Sat. races start within the half hour…

12. RTFirefly says:

Black hole is what’s happening now with the hailstorm. I hope the Mercedes is still there in the morning.
    Just watched Run Silent, Run Deep. They’re having a WWII film fest on TMC.

13. rtfirefly2 says:

One of my favorite war movies of all time is still Operation Petticoat.
    My Dad served in the PTO for 4 years but was stuck in Alaska.
    My unc was in the Navy but never talked about it.
    My Mom tried to join the Navy but was overeducated. They just wanted nurses.
    My other unc was at Anzio.
    Whole freaking family was military.
    Cary Grant and Tony Curtis make the greatest WWII movie of all time.

I was ragging on Berger about a Pink Lady, Cary and Tony rode in a pink submarine in “Operation Petticoat” (1959). That was Capt. Stubing’s (Gavin MacLeod’s) first big mention on the Big Screen. I know he’s best known for “The Love Boat,” but I grew up watching him as Murray on the “Marry Tyler Moore” show. 70’s TV was the best. And don’t even get me started about the best film decade. The 1970’s was…I’m truly speechless. It was the best. Trust me. Hands down. There’s no debate.

• RTFirefly says:

Their sub was sunk in Manila. Cary Grant didn’t know what to do until Tony Curtis came on board as a scavender.
        Best line, “Is the water supposed to be rising this way?”
        Right after Cary chewed out Tony for being a fake Navy Man.

14. rtfirefly2 says:

NF, I’ve written about my unc the DI.
    He got a Purple Heart at Tarawa. I forget where he got the other one.
    All dead but I still honor them.

Hey, Chuck. Since last night my 666 Twitter followers has increased by 20 to 686. I’ve become a big hit in Latin America.

“Dennis, es un hijo de puta que le gusta los caballos y hacer bromas.”

Heeeeeeeeee!

Gavin McLeod was pretty good in Kelly’s Heroes. A semi-forgotten Clint movie. Great all-star cast. Long fucker though.

Shit, now I have to go watch that movie again.

18. rtfirefly2 says:

“She doesn’t live on the other side of the tracks. She OWNS the tracks. 5.2% of all the railroad stock in America.”
    If you have never seen Operation Petticoat, I suggest that you do it. It’s too freakin’ true and funnier than hell.

Funny thing is, Kelly’s heroes is on TCM tonight,

• RTFirefly says:

I own it Chuck and I’ve seen it so many times I can’t watch it anymore.
      Don Rickles first movie was Run Silent, Run Deep.
      Donald Sutherland’s best line, “I’m just sitting here drinking some wine and eating some cheese.”
      Telly Savalas was awesome as usual.
      “Make him a deal. Maybe he’s a Republican”.
      “What kind of deal?”
      “A deal, deal”.
      I’m trying to watch “Where Eagles Dare” with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood but TCM keeps interrupting with great old flying movies.
      My Uncle Don was a training pilot in WWII because the Air Corps refused to let him serve in combat; he was too valuable. He learned to fly years before the war.
      He got back at them by becoming a commercial pilot, 40 years without so much as an injury. Flew everything from cropdusters to 747s.
      OK, “God is my copilot” is on.
      See you guys later.

Your dad’s, Grump? Now I feel even older.

I’ve got the Battle of Britain somewhere in my DVD collection. Love those old flying movies. Tora Tora Tora, shit like that. Yeah, not sure if I told you RTF but my dad was a pilot. P-51s. Didn’t get through in time to see combat. Ended up buying a Ryan P-7 trainer with a friend of his. Open cockpit 2 seater. Crazy-ass looking thing. One of the last things he did before dying was fly an old Navy biplane trainer out of Palm Springs. He worked at the Palm Spring Air Museum as a docent for a while. They let him take the thing up . . .

• RTFirefly says:

Your Dad flew Mustangs, Chuck?
        Wow.

The cool thing is seeing Harry Dean Stanton. He looked old even when he was young . . .

New thread is up …………………… …………..